Oriol Romeu

Shroppie

Puel wasn't popular but as others have said, he had a plan and delivered some decent results with a weaker squad than the previous years. He had to pick Stephens and Forster regularly FFS. The thing I was most annoyed about with Puel was the lack of focus on the European campaign. Getting knocked out of that group was a terrible effort.

Hughes is a weird one. He's never been a manager I rated but there's no doubt he brought some steel and fighting spirit in that kept us up, even though we still turned out some awful performances. Ultimately, throwing in extra strikers got us the win at Swansea so he needs some credit for that. Would Puel or Pellegrino have gambled? The weird thing was how half-arsed he was in the next season. It smacked of complacency once he was given his contract and was inexcusable really.

Pellegrino was just awful in all respects. Never learnt from his mistakes and talked ****e. If he has one excuse it's perhaps that things were a mess behind the scenes with inertia whilst Kat tried to sell / Gao tried to find the money and Les and Ross screwing up the recruitment.

Puel wasn't popular but as others have said, he had a plan and delivered some decent results with a weaker squad than the previous years. He had to pick Stephens and Forster regularly FFS. The thing I was most annoyed about with Puel was the lack of focus on the European campaign. Getting knocked out of that group was a terrible effort.

Hughes is a weird one. He's never been a manager I rated but there's no doubt he brought some steel and fighting spirit in that kept us up, even though we still turned out some awful performances. Ultimately, throwing in extra strikers got us the win at Swansea so he needs some credit for that. Would Puel or Pellegrino have gambled? The weird thing was how half-arsed he was in the next season. It smacked of complacency once he was given his contract and was inexcusable really.

Pellegrino was just awful in all respects. Never learnt from his mistakes and talked ****e. If he has one excuse it's perhaps that things were a mess behind the scenes with inertia whilst Kat tried to sell / Gao tried to find the money and Les and Ross screwing up the recruitment.

The club didn’t deliver the players Hughes wanted to sign, so maybe not complacency.

I always find it amusing the way some people try to lump Claude (8th in the league and scintillating cup final, all with a squad stripped of Pelle, Mane, Fonte and VW) in with the Clown and the Dinosaur.

He broke us though, let's be honest. We finished top half, but we were absolute toss, in my opinion. He tried to focus too much on pass, pass, pass, keep the ball for the sake of keeping it, either backwards, sideways. Always retreating, didn’t gable or take risks, we always seemed to play with fear. Never any real penetration. Maybe one or two games were different, but that’s how his reign was in the main.

It went the same way at Leicester, and he turned them into a dull and turgid team too. Only now are they coming back out of their shell.

Excellent summary (although S-Clarke also has a point about Puel's time)

wouldnt go that far but yet again he was up there as just about our best player tonight

Just about?

He was head and shoulders the best player in our team.

Broke up play countless times.

Won it back relentlessly.

Is the one single player where if missed, with the current squad, simply cannot be replaced

Absolutely head and shoulders above everyone tonight, possibly out of both teams. He plays CM on his own, Hoj is the biggest myth in history, he is nothing without Romeu, and not much with him either. Would love to see his stats tonight, between him and Bednarek the interception stats must’ve been huge.

Absolutely head and shoulders above everyone tonight, possibly out of both teams. He plays CM on his own, Hoj is the biggest myth in history, he is nothing without Romeu, and not much with him either.

Were you saying this about PEH last season when he was pretty much single handedly keeping the team from being relegated?

Or do you just change your opinion every other month based on a player's current form?

What will you say when Romeu has a bad few games? Or do you expect his career-best form of the opening month to simply continue for the rest of the season and into following years?

Agree that he was Saints best last night and has been the most impressive of the squad this season so far.

Just about?

Is the one single player where if missed, with the current squad, simply cannot be replaced

to be fair after thinking about it yes you’re right, head and shoulders above everyone else.

Really pleased for him too after the clown and Hughes treatment he got

Were you saying this about PEH last season when he was pretty much single handedly keeping the team from being relegated?

Or do you just change your opinion every other month based on a player's current form?

What will you say when Romeu has a bad few games? Or do you expect his career-best form of the opening month to simply continue for the rest of the season and into following years?

Agree that he was Saints best last night and has been the most impressive of the squad this season so far.

Rom was superb last night

Just about?

Apart from giving them the first goal he was decent.

• 3 months later...
Earlier today we brought you a report from Faro de Vigo that Celta Vigo were considering a move for Southampton midfielder Oriel Romeu.

The Spanish side need a midfielder with Stanislav Lobotka off to Napoli and Romeu is a man they had identified as a potential target.

The newspaper were short on the details about a potential move, although they made it clear the La Liga side weren’t prioritising his signing just yet.

Galicia Press have now covered the story, and they provide more detail on Celta’s potential move for the Southampton man.

They report that during negotiations for Sofiane Boufal, who was on loan at Celta last season, the club also asked about Romeu.

Celta boss Óscar García is a fan of the midfielder and, according to the report, Romeu is a big fan of the manager as well.

He is ‘seduced’ by the idea of a move and, if he can’t leave this month, plans to let his contract at Southampton, which has a year and a half left on it, run down and then move on a free transfer.

Southampton know that this month represents their best opportunity to get money for the 28-year-old, so are not willing to sanction a loan deal.

They want the money from a deal to do business themselves, but that doesn’t suit Celta, who cannot afford the finances behind any agreement. Indeed, the economics are described as an ‘impediment’ at this point.

Nonetheless, Celta see Romeu as ‘the solution to their problems’ and now need to ‘start the machinery’ to make a move happen.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-player-seduced-transfer-idea-seen-solution-clubs-problems/

Even though he doesn't have the legs for a pressing game, he is our ONLY alternative central midfielder when/if Hojbjerg or Ward-Prowse become unavailable.

Can't see him being allowed to leave in this window unless we're replacing him or recalling Harry Reed.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

https://as.com/futbol/2020/01/19/primera/1579393831_802274.html?id_externo_rsoc=CM_ES_TW

Set to join Celta Vigo for €10m according to AS.

If true, interesting as he doesnt really fit Hasenhuttl's style but is a reliable option who would need replacing within the squad.

Also seems like a top guy and a bit of a throwback footballer whose life extends beyond Instagram, Dubai and getting Smoked.

I expect if he goes we'll move Smallbone or Slattery into the first team instead of buying anyone in. We have no need to strengthen as doing so would block the progress of the u23s. Besides, our squad is too bloated to fit anyone else in anyway. Two first team central midfielders are more than sufficient to see us through less than half a season.

I expect if he goes we'll move Smallbone or Slattery into the first team instead of buying anyone in. We have no need to strengthen as doing so would block the progress of the u23s. Besides, our squad is too bloated to fit anyone else in anyway. Two first team central midfielders are more than sufficient to see us through less than half a season.

Is this intended to be humorous, or said as a p!sstake ? Alternatively you really are living up to (part of) your user name.

The clue is in the name, I guess.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/01/19/primera/1579393831_802274.html?id_externo_rsoc=CM_ES_TW

If true, interesting as he doesnt really fit Hasenhuttl's style but is a reliable option who would need replacing within the squad.

Also seems like a top guy and a bit of a throwback footballer whose life extends beyond Instagram, Dubai and getting Smoked.

Would be disappointed if he left. Decent player and character. We're already light in Central Midfield (particularly defensive midfield where we would have a grand total of zero players), I can only assume we would bring someone in - if we think we're already safe from relegation, we're dicing with death especially while teams like Burnley pick up points below us. If JWP or Hojbjerg get injured or suspended, we'd have the youngsters come in or players playing out of position again. Worrying.

Is this intended to be humorous, or said as a p!sstake ? Alternatively you really are living up to (part of) your user name.

Obviously with our amazing top half squad we have more than enough for a top six finish. Our strength in central midfield and across the back is there for all to see. We'd be foolish to spend any money when we are clearly one of the best sides in the country, as evidenced by our amazing midfield performance yesterday that did wonders shielding our defence.

Must need the money for a signing - no other reason to sell him in January.

Must need the money for a signing - no other reason to sell him in January.

We were told the other day that all the finances were in place for a signing if we wanted to make one but we weren't going to need to as our squad was strong enough.

Surely the club wouldn't be misleading the fans by saying that sort of thing if it wasn't true?

He s not mobile enough so won’t be a loss as long as we get another quick mobile midfielder which I have been asking from day one.

Sounds like somebody is listening :-))))

Did you miss the opening 12 games Romeu was playing them on his own we have no-one that can put their foot in like him of course he will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you miss the opening 12 games Romeu was playing them on his own we have no-one that can put their foot in like him of course he will be missed

No actually i didn t miss it.

Remind of our results in the opening 12 games? I didn t see much shielding of the back 5. One of the reasons we have improved recently is our ability to control the midfield.

Having Romeu in there negates this and also prevents us from making a quick transition from defense to attack as his passing is way too sideways.

Glad Ralph has identified this.

No actually i didn t miss it.

Remind of our results in the opening 12 games? I didn t see much shielding of the back 5. One of the reasons we have improved recently is our ability to control the midfield.

Having Romeu in there negates this and also prevents us from making a quick transition from defense to attack as his passing is way too sideways.

Glad Ralph has identified this.

The reason the results were bad because of full backs playing out of position and a resurgent Cedric and Bertrand have changed that .Playing a consistent middle pairing dropping Vestergaard and Gunn.

Do you think JWP and Hojberg can play every game ? We won’t need to change tactics ever?

The reason the results were bad because of full backs playing out of position and a resurgent Cedric and Bertrand have changed that .Playing a consistent middle pairing dropping Vestergaard and Gunn.

Do you think JWP and Hojberg can play every game ? We won’t need to change tactics ever?

You obviously didn t read properly my first post.

Its a good move provided we replace him with someone else adapted to Ralph style of play as Romeu doesn t fit with our high tempo pressing game as he isn t mobile enough.

Is that too hard to understand?

You obviously didn t read properly my first post.

Its a good move provided we replace him with someone else adapted to Ralph style of play as Romeu doesn t fit with our high tempo pressing game as he isn t mobile enough.

Is that too hard to understand?

Nope but your assessment of Romeu is way off especially the first 12 games anyway irrelevant as seems he is staying for now anyway.

selling Romeu this window would be classic Saints FC.

What more, some fans would give the club more polite applause for it

They’d say it’s great move because we doubled made a profit on him, it was a great bit of business. It doesn’t matter that we don’t replace him as we can use academy players and there is no value to be had in January.

If the manager thinks his time with us is up, let him go before he is more 'deadwood' and a drag on the wage bill, we've enough of those. This is something for the manager to judge, if he thinks his usefulness is over and we get £10m for him i would give more than polite applause

In terms of actual bodies, CM and LB seem to be obvious gaps. A little surprising that we would let our first alternative leave. The question is, will we replace him in this window? i wonder also if its another case of sell to buy as we did with Targett. In my opinion Romeu has looked a little too casual or ponderous perhaps in possession this season, but his form comes and goes and he's as honest as the days long.

As always, can we do better? Can we scout better and can we sign better?

We must have some of the most submissive "fans" in the land. An owners wet dream

You've already got "fans" championing Smallbone and Reed as ideal replacements

We must have some of the most submissive "fans" in the land. An owners wet dream

You've already got "fans" championing Smallbone and Reed as ideal replacements

I don’t know about you but I’m just glad we’ve still got a club to support. Remember where we were 11 years ago.

They’d say it’s great move because we doubled made a profit on him, it was a great bit of business. It doesn’t matter that we don’t replace him as we can use academy players and there is no value to be had in January.

It's almost like the club decided that selling players for profit was a better way to make money than having a successful team,finishing higher up the league,filling the stadium every game and attracting higher sponsorship etc.

It's almost like the club decided that selling players for profit was a better way to make money than having a successful team,finishing higher up the league,filling the stadium every game and attracting higher sponsorship etc.

Our social media posts and virtue signaling is a match for any club though.

You what? I don’t ever recall criticizing Sadio Mane.

On the contrary always thought he was a class player even when he started off here you could see he had so much potential.

This was not you?

"Yep totally. Matt Grimes to Saints with Mane to Exeter in January would be even better if a bit harsh on Exeter. Seriously, I'm not sure he's good enough for L2 on this evidence and recent games. Someone compared him and Papa Waigo - Papa had his faults but he was miles better than this bloke and I watched most of our games home and away in 2009/10. At least he got into dangerous positions despite the offsides and got a few goals. How crud can the Austrian League be? Would prefer to have Antonio to him, not that I think he is PL calibre either".

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu