Oriol Romeu

Shroppie

dont think its anywhere negative as the impression you give to be fair. He says he asked to play in under 23s because of a lack of fitness from not playing any matches the way i read it and the fact there is more intensity under Ralph implies less under hughes but its not exactly openly scathing. Dont get me wrong i dont think for one minute it was hard work under hughes or things were going well - i loike the way ralph has started too but its not really a scathing attack on hughes. Fingers crossed the Romeu of earlier years comes out to play as that would be like a new signing for ralph

dont think its anywhere negative as the impression you give to be fair. He says he asked to play in under 23s because of a lack of fitness from not playing any matches the way i read it and the fact there is more intensity under Ralph implies less under hughes but its not exactly openly scathing. Dont get me wrong i dont think for one minute it was hard work under hughes or things were going well - i loike the way ralph has started too but its not really a scathing attack on hughes. Fingers crossed the Romeu of earlier years comes out to play as that would be like a new signing for ralph
He's pretty clear in suggesting the way Hughes was getting them to play lacked intensity and as a result, fitness levels dropped.

And the style Hughes played wasn't right - at least for Oriol. I'm hoping for a rejuvenation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

He's the best midfielder we have at breaking up play.

Lemina and Hojbjerg are box to box players, while Romeu is a proper defensive midfielder.

If we move to a midfield 3, he's the best option we have to sitting at the base of it and win the ball back.

Absolutely this. People seem to forget that it was only around 18 months ago we voted him our player of the year. If we can get him back to the form he showed playing for Puel then he would make a big difference to our overall defensive play.

He's the best midfielder we have at breaking up play.

Lemina and Hojbjerg are box to box players, while Romeu is a proper defensive midfielder.

If we move to a midfield 3, he's the best option we have to sitting at the base of it and win the ball back.

Totally agree. Almost one of Hughes' biggest failings was to see the worth he could have in protecting our poor CBs. the sort of thing Wanyama used to do pretty well tbh

I read these things and think. What was stopping you from doing extra training with a private fitness coach or on your own if you wanted to be supremely fit? It's like going to art school and blaming the pencils they gave you being too blunt to produce good art work.

Unusually daft from you. Players need to play matches to get MATCH fit.

Match fit. Match fit. Match fit.

Comprender?

Oui je comprend.

So what does he do then? He's not getting selected. Should he try force the managers hand with a good attitude in training and showing willingness to go the extra mile or just complain about the training being not good enough etc.

Oui je comprend.

So what does he do then? He's not getting selected. Should he try force the managers hand with a good attitude in training and showing willingness to go the extra mile or just complain about the training being not good enough etc.

Or he could ask to play for the U23's to get MATCH FITNESS, by playing a MATCH. That'd show willing, rather than just moaning about training. Oh wait, he did that...

Or he could ask to play for the U23's to get MATCH FITNESS, by playing a MATCH. That'd show willing, rather than just moaning about training. Oh wait, he did that...

That's a start, but how many of our current crop looked way short of match fitness even though they were playing matches under Hughes?

That's a start, but how many of our current crop looked way short of match fitness even though they were playing matches under Hughes?

Pretty much every one but a few select players, Lemina / Hoj / Bertrand / Redmond / McCarthy/ Cedric, Rest are all lacking match fitness I would say as they are the ones who never get consistent game time but are expected to come in and be fresh and sharp and perform, which ofc is not possible.

He's certainly a more likeable character than a lot of the others.

It would be great to keep Romeu, Armstrong, Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek if we went down. Throw in a couple of the academy players and one or two decent signings and we might actually have a likeable team.

Romeu is a player who, a bit like Lambert, needs to be playing 90mins each week to stay sharp.

When his fitness is lacking is when he starts getting booked all the time, and why most of his yellows come in the last third of a game.

Definitely a role for him, and his passing is underrated as well - certainly better than Hojbjerg's.

This is exactly how I'd like us to set up. Both Hojbjerg and Lemina can be creative if they're not having to sit and protect the CBs, which isn't their strength anyway.

Then no need to have three at the back either: Romeu is effectively the third, slightly more advanced CB.

Armstrong, Redmond and Ings/Long/Obafemi make up the attack. Probably Stephens and Bednarek as CBs, unless defensive height is critical, when I bring in Vestergaard.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
One of the clowns who voted JWP MoTM no doubt.

Why don’t you park it for the evening, we won a game and your least favourite player was in the team and god forbid scored a goal.........We’ve got the picture.

Just enjoy the moment of a win against the odds on the Road. No need for sarky comments.

One of the clowns who voted JWP MoTM no doubt.

No, I voted OR who I think was MoTM by quite a bit, loads of important interceptions, blocks and 2 good solid tackles, JWP was pretty good too, a few good interceptions, a few good headed clearance's and a few chances created as well, the most in the team I think although I have not checked this up so could be wrong...… but all played well, even Yan did until he got sent off for a soft 2nd yellow imo.

• 2 months later...
Oriol Romeu seems a thoroughly decent human being.

Time after time there are reports in the Spanish regional media about the Southampton player returning home and helping out with various projects.

Award ceremonies for children, recognition of amateur sportspeople, helping out with initiatives to help those either less fortunate than himself or with dreams to follow him, for years he’s been a regular feature.

The midfielder also speaks well about the game and his experiences in it.

This week Marca grabbed him for an interview and whilst their real, if slightly ulterior, motive was probably to get quotes about Sadio Mane and a potential Real Madrid move, there was also a good chat about Southampton.

The Spanish newspaper explain, in typical style, the worry around Southampton at the beginning of the season: ‘The city that saw the Titanic leave was afraid of the sinking of Southampton at the beginning of the course.’

They then go on to explain how things are a little brighter now.

Romeu had a tough time during Mark Hughes last days at at the Saints, and has explained how whilst it was difficult, it gave him a motivation to show his level when he returned: “It was a complicated phase because I didn’t have the confidence of the coach. The weeks passed and, as you do not play, you find yourself getting worse physically and you have certain doubts. You return and you have the feeling that you have to demonstrate many things.”

The arrival of Ralph Hasenhüttl changed everything.

On the Austrian’s style of play and approach to the game, the 27 year old Spaniard said: “I like it. It’s bold and offensive. We play without fear for anyone.”

The relegation battle is far from from over, and Marca asked about the intense period ahead: “The feelings are relatively good. It’s not a comfortable situation, but we have a good run. It’s going to be a close fight. We are many teams within a few points. Last season we were saved with 36 points, but this time the stay will cost more.”

And here’s the best bit for Southampton fans… Oriol Romeu sounds like he couldn’t be happier where he is and can’t hide his happiness at being given the chance to captain the team: “It’s the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me. When I arrived, in 2015, it was unimaginable. I have three years of contract and I would not mind extending it. I’m very identified with the club, the fans… It’s difficult to improve.”

Of course, Romeu couldn’t speak about himself without talking about his new Futur Formatiu project in Terres de l’Ebre: “I was born there and the idea is to train coaches and promote children, as there are few clubs in the area. Hopefully within 5-10 years there will be some in the elite.”

Let’s hope they learn life lessons as well as footballing ones from Oriol

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/beautiful-thing-romeu-thrilled-southampton-captaincy-doubts-hughes/

He did one thing that I was very surprised by (in a good way). Years ago, or so it seems, he did a series of videos in and around Southampton explaining the area. I can't really recall them but fairly certain they were in Spanish or Catalan. It showed a maturity about the man, one who took an interest in the area he was in rather than just turning up to training and then going home.

I also think his playing experiences have shaped him a lot. Barca and Chelsea bit part roles, where I think he says he was under appreciated. Of course he would like to play for a big big team and be appreciated, but there is a certain pragmatism and realism that realises that it likely won't happen.

• 5 months later...

When I saw this article on football 365 I wasn't expecting Romeu's name but it makes a fair point especially a lack of a second player in the squad with his attributes.

The player each Premier League club cannot afford to lose

SOUTHAMPTON: Oriol Romeu

He’s the man tasked with doing the dirty work in that Saints midfield, and he does it really bloody well. Against Manchester United in particular he was immense, making the Reds’ central options look like the Powder-Puff Girls. He has no real substitute, with Pierre-Emile Højbjerg happier in a more advanced role. As he is made of actual granite, there is thankfully little chance of the Saints losing him to anything other than a bulldozer.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-player-each-premier-league-club-cannot-afford-to-lose

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

It's not injuries that will necessarily be his undoing, it will be suspensions. Then we will see if we struggle for not having a ready made defensive midfield replacement in the squad. (Although the signing of Danso and the sheer number of centre backs we have probably hints towards the solution.)

When I saw this article on football 365 I wasn't expecting Romeu's name but it makes a fair point especially a lack of a second player in the squad with his attributes.

The player each Premier League club cannot afford to lose

SOUTHAMPTON: Oriol Romeu

He’s the man tasked with doing the dirty work in that Saints midfield, and he does it really bloody well. Against Manchester United in particular he was immense, making the Reds’ central options look like the Powder-Puff Girls. He has no real substitute, with Pierre-Emile Højbjerg happier in a more advanced role. As he is made of actual granite, there is thankfully little chance of the Saints losing him to anything other than a bulldozer.

https://www.football365.com/news/the-player-each-premier-league-club-cannot-afford-to-lose

We would massively miss him. Bit of a bargain for £5m.

Hughes really is clueless isn't he. Look what he did with both Romeu and Bedernek - probably our two most steely players right now.

He just didn't have a clue what to implement here, but at least we have a coach who know appreciates having a system in play. We have a way of playing, we now need certain attributes in certain positions to aid that way of playing. This is what they give us. Not superstars, but they have the right attributes.

Enough of these stupid 'pass the ball' philosophies we tried to implement with Pelligreno, Puel and Hughes - it's refreshing to be back in the hands of someone who knows what the **** he's doing.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu