Danny Röhl

Maggie May

Don't know and don't care. Don't see why anyone else does.

Fair enough. Different people will be interested in different things. Nothing wrong with that. Just people chewing over stuff on an internet football forum. I'm not about to judge or question anyone for what things they're interested in discussing....

The club have written about his departure - that's how we know about it.

All I've seen is today's Daily Echo article. Where have the club announced it? (not doubting you, just interested in reading the club's statement)

Fair enough. Different people will be interested in different things. Nothing wrong with that. Just people chewing over stuff on an internet football forum. I'm not about to judge or question anyone for what things they're interested in discussing....

It's not a "non-issue" though is it (as others have said)? The persoanl reasons why Danny has left is not the issue and frankly is none of our business. But, he was appointed by Ralph last year on a 2.5 year contract, and was generally lauded as being a very important component in our survival and success after his arrival. Now he has gone (and has been gone for some time, it seems like he has not been around since the end of last season, certainly not since pre-season started) and has effectively been replaced by Craig Fleming, or at least Fleming has been promoted into the first team coaching group. It seems on the face of it Fleming's promotion was actually done because of Rohl's departure. Unless there is something that we don't want to make public about Rohl's departure, given his importance and his closeness to Ralph it would at least be nice for the Club to announce he has left and wish him well for the future. Oh, and update the OS.

No it wasn't the reason for Danny going. Just that we wanted to save on the wages and promote the other guys. We are indeed skint and left with an eye wateringly huge wage bill. We do have a few CBs identified but time is running out, the club are in a v tight spot (Cheers Les) It is our hope that Chaz and Mario go first, but everyone knows our situation. Soon someone will have to blink first, but don't be surprised if we loan someone late on.

Pretty much what I suspected to be honest, and to be fair - something the club have said is that we need to move people on to bring people in. Lemina was just featured on TalkSports transfer update program, where they implied that he appeared to be used as a bargaining tool by so called interested clubs. 'He is on the wanted list of lots of clubs, but just not very high on their lists...!'. It appears Everton are now looking at another midfielder instead of him. If we're finding it difficult to offload the likes of him though, getting rid of Hoedt, Austin et al will be harder still. Might have to go with what we've got now - another bumpy ride coming up.

Not necessarily. But shouldn't we be finding out that the Assistant Manager has left from the club before the local newspaper? That would feel like a transparent thing to do.

Does it really matter where the news comes from? We find out a lot of things via the media before clubs make the news official.

It's not a "non-issue" though is it (as others have said)?

I agree with you! :)

(I'm just trying to placate those that don't share the same point of view. Anyway, life's too short for all this "I'm right", "No, I'm right", "No, you're wrong", "No I'm not, you're wrong" malarkey :) )

Does it really matter where the news comes from? We find out a lot of things via the media before clubs make the news official.

In the general scheme of things, none of this "matters"... all people are doing is wondering why the club has chosen to not announce the departure of Ralph's assistant manager despite him departing several weeks ago (so it would seem). No-one's losing sleep over it, just natural human curiosity as to the absence of an official announcement at the time it happened. What's an internet football forum to be used for if not for pondering about stuff? Anyway, enough of my thoughts on the subject. Here's to Saints finishing 7th next season :)

We cannot dismiss Danny Röhl's departure as being of little consequence. There have been plenty of examples in the PL where the headline success of well known managers has been underpinned to a huge extent by their lesser known assistant mangers who maybe were not be as good as managers in there own right but knew football and players better than their bosses so that the combination worked in perfect synergy. Ferguson relied on Mike Phelan for his success and Jose Mourinho on Rui Faria. These combinations do not happen by accident and it is simply not the case that one should expect similar outcomes when a new assistant is levered into place.

Ralph's success at RB Leipzig was shared with Danny Röhl. It was noticeable that things improved when they teamed up again here last season. Without him Ralph may struggle. I sincerely hope not but Danny's departure cannot be good news for Ralph, SFC or we fans.

We cannot dismiss Danny Röhl's departure as being of little consequence. There have been plenty of examples in the PL where the headline success of well known managers has been underpinned to a huge extent by their lesser known assistant mangers who maybe were not be as good as managers in there own right but knew football and players better than their bosses so that the combination worked in perfect synergy. Ferguson relied on Mike Phelan for his success and Jose Mourinho on Rui Faria. These combinations do not happen by accident and it is simply not the case that one should expect similar outcomes when a new assistant is levered into place.

Ralph's success at RB Leipzig was shared with Danny Röhl. It was noticeable that things improved when they teamed up again here last season. Without him Ralph may struggle. I sincerely hope not but Danny's departure cannot be good news for Ralph, SFC or we fans.

He had success before he was at Leipzig, without Rohl.

We have people already who produce video analysis. They were here already when Röhl arrived. Ralph rightly wanted people around him who had knowledge of the U23s (Fleming / Davies) so that he can promote the right players to the first team at the right time. We were actually starting to look a little top heavy at first team level. Can quite understand why we don't now need Röhl.

No it wasn't the reason for Danny going. Just that we wanted to save on the wages and promote the other guys. We are indeed skint and left with an eye wateringly huge wage bill. We do have a few CBs identified but time is running out, the club are in a v tight spot (Cheers Les) It is our hope that Chaz and Mario go first, but everyone knows our situation. Soon someone will have to blink first, but don't be surprised if we loan someone late on.

In the wacky world of PL football there wages of an assistant manager must be utterly insignificant so absurd to think he was let go for cost reasons. His yearly wage can't be more than a few weeks of Carrillo's weekly salary. Any saving made on Rohl's wages would make no material difference at all.

Only plausible reason for him going is a fall out between RH and Rohl.

In the wacky world of PL football there wages of an assistant manager must be utterly insignificant so absurd to think he was let go for cost reasons. His yearly wage can't be more than a few weeks of Carrillo's weekly salary. Any saving made on Rohl's wages would make no material difference at all.

Huh?

How the heck do you get to that being the only plausible reason for his departure?

We have other very good examples:

Burley/Snodin

Hoddle/Gorman

Redknapp/Jordan/Smith

to name a few

Not at all plausible he left for personal reasons then?

Not sure that's the only plausible reason for him going, but I agree that in the context of the clubs budget, the salary of the assistant manager has to be miniscule. I don't buy the money reason for this.

Not sure that's the only plausible reason for him going, but I agree that in the context of the clubs budget, the salary of the assistant manager has to be miniscule. I don't buy the money reason for this.

Your right it doesn’t make sense if we’ve got rid for money reasons as we’d still have to pay his contract up so nothing gained by getting rid whatsoever

Something odd is going on at club.

Rumours RH was furious in Jan

Alleged transparency

Fan zone cock up

Disappearing AM

LD sport

Hmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just find out why the retail manager has flown all the way to UA stateside to sort out the kit debacle.

I agree, no way we're that skint and if we were we wouldn't have signed Adams and Djenepo. Plus he'd need a pretty good up front pay off anyway.

I agree, no way we're that skint and if we were we wouldn't have signed Adams and Djenepo. Plus he'd need a pretty good up front pay off anyway.

Sorry, you agree that the only plausible explanation is a full out between him and RH. Really?

Whether it is the case or not, it certainly isn’t the only plausible explanation.

Sorry, you agree that the only plausible explanation is a full out between him and RH. Really?

Whether it is the case or not, it certainly isn’t the only plausible explanation.

I don’t agree with that bit, just that it wasn’t financial.

Family reasons, a new more prestigious job elsewhere, maybe he only ever intended to come here on a short term deal to help Ralph get things going. Take your pick.

All the signs point towards this for me

Over achieve this season

Board won’t back Ralph as they will roll out “can only buy players after we’ve sold”

Ralph will leave.

Terrible managerial appointments again.

All the signs point towards this for me

Over achieve this season

Board won’t back Ralph as they will roll out “can only buy players after we’ve sold”

Ralph will leave.

Terrible managerial appointments again.

There is nothing like being cheerful before the season starts.

Chin up. Just try to enjoy the football this season - that is if you actually go to matches.

There is nothing like being cheerful before the season starts.

Chin up. Just try to enjoy the football this season - that is if you actually go to matches.

Don’t bite at the troll.

If we overachieve that’s good surely?

Of course he will leave he is destined for bigger than us let’s enjoy the ride rather than we are doomed.

He took the job when we were deep in **** knew the situation.

Rohl must have quit because he didn’t like the Mickey Mouse fanzone.

Ignore Cabbage just fishing

Something odd is going on at club.

Rumours RH was furious in Jan

Alleged transparency

Fan zone cock up

Disappearing AM

LD sport

Hmmmmmm

You're only listing the fan zone as a cock up because you don't like it.

Is it? Obviously bigger club but a lesser role than effectively being assistant manager.

“It’s better to be lower down a tree you want to climb than higher up one you don’t” - credit the office tv programme, not my own work.

I repeat this is not a quote or rumour from me.

Imagine Ralph will make the same move at the end of the season too.

I hope not but certain alarm bells ring at this move. Those dismissing this as insignificant are naive or the usual deluded Saints optimists.

My comments ramble on below so I apologise but they’re a little suspicious and damning of Gao as I am not a fan of our regime.

I think Danny probably felt the club didn’t have the ambition they purported to have when coaxing him in. Under the current dynasty, we do seem to run a disingenuous & disorganised club. Compared to previous years. What little dialogue we do have.

Hardly a comprehensive reason why he’s left on the official website. I treat that as suspect. I’m naturally suspicious as too many people lie and deceive and I do notice the short comings of some in the characteristics of their speech.

I just hope this isn’t start of an exodus. Bayern are a much better prospect. You can’t take that away. I just hope Röhl walking out isn’t symptomatic of the staff morale under Gao because I am no fan of our current owner & I find it extremely distasteful how our Chinese board promote media and marketing in Gao’s home country (& swings his d**k around by flying the favoured first players to China to show off) yet has the disregard & arrogance to ignore the local fans and city whom ARE the club. Utter disrespect.

I fear it’s tangible to consider the lack of transfers and seemingly broken promises made to Ralph may be a factor in Danny’s decision to leave so soon after arriving (ie: miss sold a dream by a prevaricating board). Danny would have definitely been involved in the coaching, integrating & recruitment of new targets, knowing what players we need to progress or tread water. This would’ve been discussed on Ralph’s initial interview which would have been relayed to Röhl. Without suitable defenders brought in, we are simply swapping one glaring problem for another in that the lack of attacking prowess which plagued us since SFC sold all our main scorers & assist playmakers & replaced them with cut price and inadequate (gamble) replacements.

Now we have a better front line and an awful defence so we are not much further forward. I fear Danny knew this and decided moving to a bigger & more professional outfit was easier than remaining with a club that didn’t have an idea or backing to achieve what he had hoped the club initially promised. Or he may have just wanted a big club move.

Generally, when you leave a company shortly after arriving, it’s down to dissatisfaction and realising you were sold a cold turkey. You don’t tend to move unless you are sure. Unless under a temporary arrangement but the contract duration would reflect that. I find in life, it is easier to judge individuals by their actions and then their words will never fool you. Those fans suggesting it was only a temporary arrangement are shortsighted as he wouldn’t have been on a 2 1/2 year deal. Röhl will not have keft because of SFC financial reasons.

I’m only speculating so don’t shoot me down for not being positive prior to the opening game. I feel the carrots dangled, media spin and words fed to the press fall short of what the club promised & what I expect. Please don’t peddle the sell to buy mantra the club conditioned the fans with. It’s clear we have dross to sell but we have space for a CB & defensive midfielder. The finances won’t be released or the more pressing point and judging by the media back tracking, it’s logical to assume this has happened at club level with the first team manager and coaches.

I heard rumours that Lemina was being baited to clubs as a bargaining chip & if you were that player, you would be pretty peed off too. They did similar on going back on their word with Morgan. Hence he took to Twitter. The Façade approach with Promes. Going back on their word in Jan re: transfers. Saying Ralph would overhaul in pre season. Ralph wants the ability to allow for the quality academy players to step up, that much is clear but we are also thin in quality in defence and soon, defensive midfield. Gao & his boardroom appear (with scraps I can muster) to not honour their promises and their word. Just a few observations of the club in the past year & their alleged, hidden, brash tactics.

The club naïvely try to spin the sentiment & have been exposed by promising players moves after a year or two (no NDAs anymore) and then moving the proverbial goal posts. Different to the reasons the club give the fans when dissatisfied players leave and that shines a whole new light on matters we faced on two consecutive seasons with the mass player exodus. It seems we brought in key players by offering them to use as a stepping stone to a big move. Shocking if this is a repeated pattern in negotiations as it shows absolutely zero ambition for the club other than making money from player sales. Directionless.

We clearly aren’t running an overly moral dialogue. If any at all. I’m aware of the ugly inside of football & lots happens we don’t need to know but we desperately & clearly need PL capable management of the club at board room level ( rather than a team of market strategists with no experience ) and I can’t see improvement until we have leadership. Les, Ralph K (in the recent past), Ross, Kat, Nelly and Gao seem woefully unfit for purpose. Then we have the market people...yet no football people, or very few I’m aware of. If there are any, we haven’t been told.

I’m almost certain that the list of targets Ralph would have drawn up for this season would have been done in conjunction with Danny. If this is the case, it won’t be long before Ralph loses patience if promised are being stretched or broken. Saints have a proclivity for occasional getting a decent manager (1 in every 10 or 11) in & then totally taking the pee and peeing them off. Les allegedly forced out out the Koeman’s with bully boy, sign a new contract or go treatment. I definitely think the club have gone back on their word slightly as I can see visible examples in the press. You might say that is bedwetting but it’s an interesting thing Danny has gone when only newly appointed and on a 2.5 contract.

Look at the facts. Ignore conjecture. We have only 2 players in yet we have had way more leave and have intentions to move on another bunch. Granted, we need to move on the overpaid dross like Elyonoussi, Carillo, Hoedt, Soares, Austin & Lemina (who I rate) but we also need to bring a number of players in and just two players in and no defenders just doesn’t cut in. Surely Romeu needs replacing soon too. We seem so unprofessional and disorganised & disinterested since Cortese & Markus sadly left us. Drifting downstream, with no sense of direction or ownership/leadership. No football heads in the boardroom.

I truly rate Ralph and love Saints but my perception of St Mary’s life through various channels may differ to yours. I hope we have a good season but without a bolstered defence of greater quality, coaching alone will not be enough. I feel we may be in for a testing season without new additions. So far a sparse window considering we have moved many on, more needed. Adams and Djenepo excite me but a defender is paramount. Ralph can’t play the way he wants without a solid back wall which is key in his tactics. In any tactics to be fair.

Ralph is a very good manager but he is having too much put on his shoulders and he doesn’t have enough quality in the calibre of support. From pitch to board to scouting level. If Ralph loses hope as he doesn’t have the sufficient support to compete effectively, IF the club are pushing his patience, if he goes and we have too much reliance on a single man, it leaves the club extremely vulnerable. Huge speculation and I hope, overly sensational and un-necessarily dramatic. Lol If Ralph leaves, we are screwed because he takes away much more than just a single man leaving the club like Danny Röhl. We put too much reliance on him. I seen no plan of continuity in place IF he left unlike under the previous and much more effective management which had us competing in the top half of the table. Bring back leadership to St Mary’s and support Ralph. We have a few days left. Let’s hope Maguire completes his medical and the other transfers pick up (which I am being told involves our target) and we get our man this week.

Thanks for your short service Danny. I know he had a positive impact and his player analysis and insight was supposedly superb. Sorry I went off on one. Not the first time. Largely speculatively b***ocks but it got the worry off my chest. COME ON YOU SAINTS!!

It's also worth noting Hassenhuttl's only been able to add two members to his staff since his joining... And one of them has now gone. I find that a bit strange. Assistant managers especially are important for the manager. From recent history Adkins had Crosby, Pochettino had Jesus Perez and the other two, who are still with him at Spurs. Koeman had Sammy Lee/his brother, he was also able to bring in Watson and Kluitenberg, Puel added Black/Plancque, heck even Pellegrino and Hughes were able to bring in a few goons with them.

I hope not but certain alarm bells ring at this move. Those dismissing this as insignificant are naive or the usual deluded Saints optimists.

My comments ramble on below so I apologise but they’re a little suspicious and damning of Gao as I am not a fan of our regime.

I think Danny probably felt the club didn’t have the ambition they purported to have when coaxing him in. Under the current dynasty, we do seem to run a disingenuous & disorganised club. Compared to previous years. What little dialogue we do have.

Hardly a comprehensive reason why he’s left on the official website. I treat that as suspect. I’m naturally suspicious as too many people lie and deceive and I do notice the short comings of some in the characteristics of their speech.

I just hope this isn’t start of an exodus. Bayern are a much better prospect. You can’t take that away. I just hope Röhl walking out isn’t symptomatic of the staff morale under Gao because I am no fan of our current owner & I find it extremely distasteful how our Chinese board promote media and marketing in Gao’s home country (& swings his d**k around by flying the favoured first players to China to show off) yet has the disregard & arrogance to ignore the local fans and city whom ARE the club. Utter disrespect.

I fear it’s tangible to consider the lack of transfers and seemingly broken promises made to Ralph may be a factor in Danny’s decision to leave so soon after arriving (ie: miss sold a dream by a prevaricating board). Danny would have definitely been involved in the coaching, integrating & recruitment of new targets, knowing what players we need to progress or tread water. This would’ve been discussed on Ralph’s initial interview which would have been relayed to Röhl. Without suitable defenders brought in, we are simply swapping one glaring problem for another in that the lack of attacking prowess which plagued us since SFC sold all our main scorers & assist playmakers & replaced them with cut price and inadequate (gamble) replacements.

Now we have a better front line and an awful defence so we are not much further forward. I fear Danny knew this and decided moving to a bigger & more professional outfit was easier than remaining with a club that didn’t have an idea or backing to achieve what he had hoped the club initially promised. Or he may have just wanted a big club move.

Generally, when you leave a company shortly after arriving, it’s down to dissatisfaction and realising you were sold a cold turkey. You don’t tend to move unless you are sure. Unless under a temporary arrangement but the contract duration would reflect that. I find in life, it is easier to judge individuals by their actions and then their words will never fool you. Those fans suggesting it was only a temporary arrangement are shortsighted as he wouldn’t have been on a 2 1/2 year deal. Röhl will not have keft because of SFC financial reasons.

I’m only speculating so don’t shoot me down for not being positive prior to the opening game. I feel the carrots dangled, media spin and words fed to the press fall short of what the club promised & what I expect. Please don’t peddle the sell to buy mantra the club conditioned the fans with. It’s clear we have dross to sell but we have space for a CB & defensive midfielder. The finances won’t be released or the more pressing point and judging by the media back tracking, it’s logical to assume this has happened at club level with the first team manager and coaches.

I heard rumours that Lemina was being baited to clubs as a bargaining chip & if you were that player, you would be pretty peed off too. They did similar on going back on their word with Morgan. Hence he took to Twitter. The Façade approach with Promes. Going back on their word in Jan re: transfers. Saying Ralph would overhaul in pre season. Ralph wants the ability to allow for the quality academy players to step up, that much is clear but we are also thin in quality in defence and soon, defensive midfield. Gao & his boardroom appear (with scraps I can muster) to not honour their promises and their word. Just a few observations of the club in the past year & their alleged, hidden, brash tactics.

The club naïvely try to spin the sentiment & have been exposed by promising players moves after a year or two (no NDAs anymore) and then moving the proverbial goal posts. Different to the reasons the club give the fans when dissatisfied players leave and that shines a whole new light on matters we faced on two consecutive seasons with the mass player exodus. It seems we brought in key players by offering them to use as a stepping stone to a big move. Shocking if this is a repeated pattern in negotiations as it shows absolutely zero ambition for the club other than making money from player sales. Directionless.

We clearly aren’t running an overly moral dialogue. If any at all. I’m aware of the ugly inside of football & lots happens we don’t need to know but we desperately & clearly need PL capable management of the club at board room level ( rather than a team of market strategists with no experience ) and I can’t see improvement until we have leadership. Les, Ralph K (in the recent past), Ross, Kat, Nelly and Gao seem woefully unfit for purpose. Then we have the market people...yet no football people, or very few I’m aware of. If there are any, we haven’t been told.

I’m almost certain that the list of targets Ralph would have drawn up for this season would have been done in conjunction with Danny. If this is the case, it won’t be long before Ralph loses patience if promised are being stretched or broken. Saints have a proclivity for occasional getting a decent manager (1 in every 10 or 11) in & then totally taking the pee and peeing them off. Les allegedly forced out out the Koeman’s with bully boy, sign a new contract or go treatment. I definitely think the club have gone back on their word slightly as I can see visible examples in the press. You might say that is bedwetting but it’s an interesting thing Danny has gone when only newly appointed and on a 2.5 contract.

Look at the facts. Ignore conjecture. We have only 2 players in yet we have had way more leave and have intentions to move on another bunch. Granted, we need to move on the overpaid dross like Elyonoussi, Carillo, Hoedt, Soares, Austin & Lemina (who I rate) but we also need to bring a number of players in and just two players in and no defenders just doesn’t cut in. Surely Romeu needs replacing soon too. We seem so unprofessional and disorganised & disinterested since Cortese & Markus sadly left us. Drifting downstream, with no sense of direction or ownership/leadership. No football heads in the boardroom.

I truly rate Ralph and love Saints but my perception of St Mary’s life through various channels may differ to yours. I hope we have a good season but without a bolstered defence of greater quality, coaching alone will not be enough. I feel we may be in for a testing season without new additions. So far a sparse window considering we have moved many on, more needed. Adams and Djenepo excite me but a defender is paramount. Ralph can’t play the way he wants without a solid back wall which is key in his tactics. In any tactics to be fair.

Ralph is a very good manager but he is having too much put on his shoulders and he doesn’t have enough quality in the calibre of support. From pitch to board to scouting level. If Ralph loses hope as he doesn’t have the sufficient support to compete effectively, IF the club are pushing his patience, if he goes and we have too much reliance on a single man, it leaves the club extremely vulnerable. Huge speculation and I hope, overly sensational and un-necessarily dramatic. Lol If Ralph leaves, we are screwed because he takes away much more than just a single man leaving the club like Danny Röhl. We put too much reliance on him. I seen no plan of continuity in place IF he left unlike under the previous and much more effective management which had us competing in the top half of the table. Bring back leadership to St Mary’s and support Ralph. We have a few days left. Let’s hope Maguire completes his medical and the other transfers pick up (which I am being told involves our target) and we get our man this week.

Thanks for your short service Danny. I know he had a positive impact and his player analysis and insight was supposedly superb. Sorry I went off on one. Not the first time. Largely speculatively b***ocks but it got the worry off my chest. COME ON YOU SAINTS!!

An interesting take on the situation but one I find totally riddled with conjecture, unsupported rumours and inaccuracies.

I'm not replying to everything, but:

I've never heard that Ralph was unhappy after January. The subsequent results and clear bond between him and the team question that.

Yes, we've only brought in two players (technically three with Ings) but we haven't moved "many" out. We can't find takers, and that's the problem. Until we free up space, we don't have the capacity to buy in.

We don't have an awful defence. We have one that could do with improvement but finding better than we've got at an affordable price and even after moving Hoedt and/or Stephens on is no simple matter.

What broken promises? How would you know any promises have been made? I see no lack of ambition, unless you see splashing transfer fees as ambition in itself.

I'm not a great fan of Gao, but he attended the fans forum.

I'm disappointed to see Danny go but there is no evidence for your reasoning of why he went. Just as likely that he simply wants to be back in Germany or sees a lesser job at a bigger club as offering more prospects for himself.

I trust Ralph and feel optimistic about the season. He has the ability to improve our current players rather than gambling on throwing money at transfers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk