Ryan Bertrand

Dusic

Just had a minor back operation, out until the opening of the transfer window.

Will we see him in a Saints shirt again?

If not, hardly the best message to sell our best player in January (again) whilst struggling.

Would need replacing as Targett consistently struggles at PL level.

Whether his been at his best or not, he’s still in our top two best players by far alongside Lemina. He’s the perfect modern day full back, can attack and defend in equal measure. Horrendous CB pairings and goalkeepers do not help his perception among the fans.

Whether his been at his best or not, he’s still in our top two best players by far alongside Lemina. He’s the perfect modern day full back, can attack and defend in equal measure.Horrendous CB pairings and goalkeepers do not help his perception among the fans.

Errr he hasn't much helped himself in that regard. Just watch back the first goal against us away at Wolves, Wolves player steams down our left, 50p feet Wesley is straining every sinew in the vain effort to cut out the cross, the cross for the goal is made...........oh who is this lolloping casually into the box enjoying the Autumn sunshine our "Captain" Mr Bertrand.

I sometimes meet someone who has a contact inside the club, at the end of the Puel season Bertrand made no secret of wanting out of Saints, but no one came knocking for him. In fairness to him he didn't pull the toddler tantrums like a few other players wanting out have done. The fact that Danny Rose and Ashley Young got to go to Russia ahead of him emphasises how half aR$ed he had become. Wouldn't be surprised if making him Captain this season was a plan to hopefully get him motivated back to previous levels and at the same time subtly sticking him the shop window.

Errr he hasn't much helped himself in that regard. Just watch back the first goal against us away at Wolves, Wolves player steams down our left, 50p feet Wesley is straining every sinew in the vain effort to cut out the cross, the cross for the goal is made...........oh who is this lolloping casually into the box enjoying the Autumn sunshine our "Captain" Mr Bertrand.

I sometimes meet someone who has a contact inside the club, at the end of the Puel season Bertrand made no secret of wanting out of Saints, but no one came knocking for him. In fairness to him he didn't pull the toddler tantrums like a few other players wanting out have done. The fact that Danny Rose and Ashley Young got to go to Russia ahead of him emphasises how half aR$ed he had become. Wouldn't be surprised if making him Captain this season was a plan to hopefully get him motivated back to previous levels and at the same time subtly sticking him the shop window.

He was injured towards the end of last season and lost his place in the England just at the wrong time. Do I think Southgate was correct in picking Young ahead of Ryan? Absolutely not. Is Ryan a better left back than Young? in every sense, yes.

Definitely had surgery on his back. Suggestions of a bad attitude are wide of the mark. He's been nothing but brilliant for us. He's not my no. 1 choice for captain but he's a well respected character in the dressing room. He's v driven and has a work life outside of football.

Finally some sense, doubt it will shut the whining up though

Definitely had surgery on his back. Suggestions of a bad attitude are wide of the mark. He's been nothing but brilliant for us. He's not my no. 1 choice for captain but he's a well respected character in the dressing room. He's v driven and has a work life outside of football.

Obviously our definitions of "Brilliant" differ there isn't a player in the squad who deserves the description of "Brilliant" for going on three seasons now

Did he hurt his back doing this second job he was moonlighting as. Lol

Bertrand's definitely one of our better players, but hasn't been quite as good in the past year or so for whatever reason.

Is McQueen still here? Thought he looked very decent when he's come in in the past, think Targett is a little weaker defensively but could form a good partnership if he were played left midfield with an attacking full back behind him as they'd be able to switch and cover each other.

Bertrand's definitely one of our better players, but hasn't been quite as good in the past year or so for whatever reason.

Is McQueen still here? Thought he looked very decent when he's come in in the past, think Targett is a little weaker defensively but could form a good partnership if he were played left midfield with an attacking full back behind him as they'd be able to switch and cover each other.

Sam was on a season long loan at Middlesbro, but ruptured his ACL in November, out for the season sadly.

He was top quality the first two years, but since has dropped off a level. Whether that’s to do with lack of quality around him, or the first two seasons being a peak he can’t reach again is debatable. What’s not debatable is he’s head and shoulders above any other option we’ve got. Personally, he annoys me, as he looks too causal for my liking and looks like he’s going through the motions. But he’s probably the first name on the team sheet because we lack a decent replacement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was top quality the first two years, but since has dropped off a level. Whether that’s to do with lack of quality around him, or the first two seasons being a peak he can’t reach again is debatable. What’s not debatable is he’s head and shoulders above any other option we’ve got. Personally, he annoys me, as he looks too causal for my liking and looks like he’s going through the motions. But he’s probably the first name on the team sheet because we lack a decent replacement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

For a season and a half nearly he has been a good player in a poor team. I think his fitness levels have dropped and he's lost a bit of heart, but his body language sometimes is not acceptable. He is good enough to be a regular international IMO, one thing he is not is captain material however. If he does stay maybe RH will get the best out of him. We do have genuine quality in the squad (Bertie, Ings, Lemina, Redmond, even Romeu), just not enough of it.

Not true, he's declined in the last 18 months, whether thats due to interest, fitness or talent...was excellent under Koeman and arguably the best LB in the league that season.

He's declined every season. He's not had one season with us where he was better or as good as the last.

Very promising quote from https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11581392/ralph-hasenhuttl-gets-a-round-in-as-southampton-seek-home-comforts

Injured players have not escaped the 51-year-old's meticulous planning, with left-back Ryan Bertrand sent training videos to watch during his recovery from a back operation which will keep him sidelined for around a fortnight.

"It went well and I wrote to him yesterday wishing him all the best," said Hasenhuttl.

"We sent him all the training session videos that we made this week so that he can imagine what will change now in his position or what we are asking from [him] in the future."

• 3 weeks later...

Second part of RH presser he said Bertrand due to start training tomorrow and then hopefully shortly with the team.

Said he knows he is a good player and wants him fit quickly and to understand what he needs in that role.

Cliche but he will be like a new signing. Miles better than Targett, despite the wallies earlier this season begging for Targett to get a chance!