Saints 3 - Arsenal 2 - I should start threads more often

Secret Site Agent

If the team looks so much better after just one week I can't wait to see how we are doing after one month.

Much better performance, closed down really week, attacked with intent and looked more solid at the back, still some players a bit slow with the ball and we had a few iffy moments but this was a team who hadn't lost for 22 games.

Will be a waste though if we don't pick up points at Huddersfield, typical saints to lose that one after this! :)

She lookd like the bird who used to be on Eastenders when I was forced to watch it a year or so ago.....

It’s a good job they’re rolling out women interviewers and pundits. Nothing to do with political correctness, it’s all about their concise and accurate skills and summaries.

Well that was pretty damn wonderful to watch. Still a lot of work to do,but what a difference a couple of real training sessions can do.

My confidence has been restored after a couple of seasons of pure dross.

I so want Hasenhüttle to succeed.

Redmond was outstanding at times as was Armstrong.

Targett was an accident waiting to happen besides the glorious cross for Ings.

Lovely to see the tenacity and finishing return.

If we can just cut out the individual lapses in concentration....we will be fine.

Then time to push on...with the new gaffer,I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a good job they’re rolling out women interviewers and pundits. Nothing to do with political correctness, it’s all about their concise and accurate skills and summaries.

I'm concerned that football is promoting unattainable body goals for young lads to be honest.

Should probably ban the whole thing.

Hugely enjoyable, stadium was really rocking at the end like the glory days. Excellent performances from The back 3, both wing backs, Hoj, Redmond and Ings and both strikers from the bench made an impact. Romeu looked short of match practice.

As excellent a performance as this was, don’t overlook the difference having a fit strike force brings as we converted good moments into actual goals today.

Looking forward already to the trip up north next week!

Seeing as Cedric, Bertrand & Lemina were out, that’s a fantastic result.

OR played well, bar their second goal, as did Redmond. Ings different class & calm finish from Charlie at the end. We actually defended the last few minutes well without panicking, and ran the clock down intelligently. Great spirit and a much needed boost to morale.

Thought our pressing and closing down pressured Arsenal nicely. Loved our quicker ball forward, after two years of turgid slow build up play, having real intent in our forward play was fantastic to see. Three quality headed goals, assists for Redmond and Long, a great days Work Saints. Yeah, some dodgy moments at the back, but let’s enjoy the win. At last. Ralph - legendary status awaits!!

Just back from the game. One word: passion.

If Ralph can sort out the defensive lapses we'll win more than we lose playing like that.

Great atmosphere. A long time since I've seen most of the stadium stay behind long after the final whistle.

Lovely jubbly.

Seeing as Cedric, Bertrand & Lemina were out, that’s a fantastic result.

OR played well, bar their second goal, as did Redmond. Ings different class & calm finish from Charlie at the end. We actually defended the last few minutes well without panicking, and ran the clock down intelligently. Great spirit and a much needed boost to morale.

Interesting statistic about Austin. Apparently, it is only Sterling in PL history who has a better record of scoring goals against one particular team with 6 against Bournemouth, compared with Austin's five against the Arse. They really must hate him.

Damn, after 2 and a half years of dross that feels good. Hoped Ralph would get this team moving by Jan but he's started already.

Going to be interesting to finally see what these players can do under a good manager. We may find we have better players than we thought.

Kudos to the club for finding Ralph, already starting to feel like the good old days.

literally on the drive home now- that was amazing!

The last time I came home this happy was the 4-1 win over Everton, so well over 12 months ago!

My ratings, if 6 constitutes average!

McCarthy- 9

Valery- 7.5

Bednarek- 9

Yoshida- 7

Vestergaard- 8

Targett- 7.5

Romeu- 6.5

PEH- 7.5

Redmond- 8

Armstrong- 7.5

Ings- 9.5

Austin and Long- 8.5 (both did what was needed!!!)

That does so much for confidence and momentum, let’s go and get 6 more points versus Huddersfield and WHU and really get ourselves out of the bottom 3, lots of work to be done still.

Cannot wait to go watch our next game now, jealous of anyone going to Huddersfield!

So, only watched about 10 mins of the game. How were we? Or just lucky?

Happy to report not just lucky at all. Played really well, probably the best we've played since the cup final.

Being a negative ****er I would still just point out that Arsenal fielded a defence decimated by injuries AND we did improve almost immediately under Hughes, losing to today's opponents by the same margin we won by today in a similarly even match. And look how that all turned out..........................

(PS - gut feeling is Ralph will turn out to be 10 times the manager Hughes has ever been or ever will be)

I went today. A much improved performance and shape. Firstly they all tried hard. Armstrong ran himself into the ground, cramp at the end. Ings finished brilliantly both his chances. A super leading ball across the defender for the first, inch perfect chip from Redmond for the lobbed header, keeper didn't move. Valery played well but is still finding his feet. He needs a bit more confidence to go for the line when he gets the chance. The three centre backs were up against it with Arsenals's slick, quick forwards but worked hard and effectively.

Target great cross but not enough. He gave the ball away too many times when not under pressure. Struggles with pace.

Armstrong, Hojbjerg and Romeu worked their socks off but they need to learn when to cut out the tippy tappy that puts us under pressure when we are closed down. Ings and Redmond worked hard and caused Arsenal problems.

Long played well, defended, broke, won headers and made a super run down the right channel for Hoijberg's through ball to provide a super cross that pulled the keeper off his line which Austin finished clinically.

One thing they are going to have to learn. In the last ten minutes 3-2 up they could see the finishing line so didn't dither on the ball, clearing long straight away. Long really put his boot through one that went miles but it sure takes the pressure off, especially if the ball is in the back of the stand. Dithering gets us caught out. Just clear it out towards the corners and let the forwards chase it. We aren't clever or slick enough to play pretty patterns under pressing in front of our box.

For many of the reasons set-out above, this was the best game of football I’ve seen at SMS for two years. Every last player can hold their heads high, irrespective of the result. PEH was a true and proper Captain...vocal, directive, spoke respectfully to the Ref. I’ve slated Redmond in the past, but today he looked the real deal with few mistakes. Ings big difference, but the most plaudits go to Ralph...to make THAT much difference in one week is nothing short of brilliant. It’s early days of course - we need many more wins to be safe, but now we all have something to believe in.

Sorry WHAT?! Improved immediately under Hughes?! We put in absolutely abysmal performances and lost most games until we scraped the bournemouth win.

Adrian, we improved under Hughes - admittedly from an incredibly low starting point - and I said almost immediately. Do you think we got worse or better last season after Hughes took over from Pellegrino?

Absolutely buzzing. Just finished watching it. Recorded it and didn't turn on my internet all afternoon or evening to avoid the score. There were a few moments when I just thought, for the sake of my nerves, I'll just go and have a look at the result but I'm glad I didn't because the out poor of emotion at the final whistle was well worth it.

Yes, we did improve with the appointment of Hughes (otherwise we would have gone down).

But to try and compare that to the transformation into what looked like a completely different team, such as we saw today, is quite erroneous. The two situations are in no way comparable.

Ok mate.

There were a few empty seats near me in the Itchen, but it won't remain like that for long if we carry on playing like that. From having a season ticket you can't get rid of when away let's hope people are queuing to use it in future. Also the free drink offer seems to have been succesful, worth repeating?