Cedric or Valery?

norwaysaint

Thought valery looked terrible on the ball vs Arsenal. Doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing running with it

Yeah very much a defender. Dribbling did seem to be a skill he hasn't quite mastered. Having said that towards the end of the Arsenal game he put in some great tackles and blocks and was more than happy to put the ball into row z when needed.

So, when does the 'future', become the present? We scream blue murder that our youth aren't good enough, but want tried and tested in the team. Before you can blink, that fresh faced 17 year old, is 21, and those sage and knowledgeable knoweverything football experts on here, want rid of them. We used to give the kids a chance once upon a time, and I'm glad, that we again have a manager, who does just that. Experience comes with games.
The future becomes the present when we are two nil up with ten to go, or we are at least playing with confidence and are comfortably mid table. I'm all for getting the kids onto the field but let's at least try and take some of the pressure off before we do. Yes we all clamour for giving youth a chance but if it's not done properly it can knock their confidence, it's the managers job to protect the players. Other than that, I also think Cedric is the better player as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Out of interest...based on what?

Off the top of my head, here's a list of RB's I'd say are better than him.

Azpilicueta

Walker

Trippier

Valencia

Moses

Zabaleta

Bellerin

Aurier

Clyne

Alexander-Arnold

Leichtsteiner

Coleman

Periera

Zappacosta

Danilo

Young

Possibly:

Janmaat

Montoya

Femenia

Smith

That's a list that highlights there are some relativity decent right backs around who are somewhat interchangeable - but few outstanding ones.

Aurier, for example, can be quite good one game, but an amateurish liability the next. Valencia's race is run. Young is an out of position winger who can't defend. Moses doesn't even play right back. Also, your list only actually represents nine clubs.

It's disingenuous to leave Cedric off your list yet include the guy he has often been selected ahead of for Portugal.

He might not be a world beater, and his form hasn't been too flash this season, but there'd be better teams than ours happy to take him on board if we were let him go.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Out of interest...based on what?

Off the top of my head, here's a list of RB's I'd say are better than him.

Azpilicueta

Walker

Trippier

Valencia

Moses

Zabaleta

Bellerin

Aurier

Clyne

Alexander-Arnold

Leichtsteiner

Coleman

Periera

Zappacosta

Danilo

Young

Possibly:

Janmaat

Montoya

Femenia

Smith

The only players on that list who are definitely better than a fit and in-form Cedric are Azpilicueta, Walker and Trippier. Throw a blanket over Bellerin, Alexander-Arnold (and Gomez who wasn't on your list, perhaps because he also plays centre half).

The rest he comfortably comes out on top of.

Of course, comparing an out-of-form and disinterested Cedric to that list yields different results.

However, what horse are you going to back here? Will you choose to place your faith in a proven quality international player with a European Cup rediscovering his mojo under a good new manager, or will you choose to believe that the malaise of the past 2 years under useless coaches and literally zero competition for his spot will continue for the foreseeable future?

Seems pretty evenly balanced, but perhaps Cedric still favoured as he might show an improved attitude. If other players could look instantly sharper and more interested, why not him?

Whoever is picked, I'm sure that if either of them plays badly, it was obvious we should have picked the other and someone will post something condescending about what "all the experts on here said" ;)

Valery might end up being a good player; so far he has shown good defensive instincts, a reasonable first touch and pass together with a few effective crosses - not a lot of overlapping runs or speed down the flanks yet, maybe that will come. As things stand Cedric is streets ahead and has to be first choice, particularly while the relegation threat remains.

For a start it doesn't matter what Cedric wants to do because opponents have his card marked and players who are decent in the air are tasked to slip the centre back and pull off onto Cedric who is too small to cope. It's planned not accidental. As for international experience, the ball is mostly on the ground and rarely has to defend in the air.

I didn't talk about what he wants to do - I wanted to say that he tries to correct mistakes made by others others, unfortunately not successfully, and therefore is marked as the main culprit by some. He isn't. The ongoing Problem is our right CB (mainly Stephens) doesn't defend his airal area properly. So, of course it is intentionally targetted by the opponents. But this has to be fixed by cutting out the initial error of the CB and not by playing a vastly inferior RB who eventually may be able to help out a bit better due to his height (though I don't remember Valery winning any headers of note yet).

• 2 months later...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17484785.southampton-manager-ralph-hasenhuttl-on-yan-valery-and-loaning-out-cedric-soares/

Hasenhuttl explained that he opted to allow Cedric to leave in order that he wasn’t tempted to make a switch and interrupt Valery’s development at a crucial stage of his career.

The decision has paid dividends with Hasenhuttl’s instincts proving correct with Valery improving week-on-week and coming into tomorrow’s game against Tottenham on the back of his first senior goal, which was a stunner against Manchester United.

Hasenhuttl said: “If you want to push the young players you have to have the chance to bring them in.

“For every manager there comes situations where the young players don’t perform like you immediately want them to perform and then there’s pressure because the other one is still here and is very good – Cedric is a good player.

“So then you maybe think to take the young player out and give the other one a chance and let them wait a little bit, but it protects you from yourself from making these decisions.

“If you give the other away you don’t have the chance and you force him and force him and force him.

Edited by trousers

Cedric for me and here's why? Valery will get snapped up by a big club in the summer if he continues his development at his current pace.

Ergo: we end up with nobody!

Valery will not go. He seems to be quite intelligent and tbh he will not get the game time. Now the summer after......that’s when I’ll be a little more concerned.

All imo

Valery is obviously going to be a top player, playing him ahead of Cedric wasn't really an issue, it's more the flogging of Cedric without having decent cover if Valery gets injured.

Exactly this. Ralph is a very good manager, but he's not perfect and he's spouting bollocks on this.

Cedric for me and here's why? Valery will get snapped up by a big club in the summer if he continues his development at his current pace.

Ergo: we end up with nobody!

He won't go anywhere this summer. Edited by CB Fry