Fan behaviour

whelk

In the news a bit lately but anyone think it is getting worse?

I haven’t seen anything first hand and maybe media getting very excitable? Or is it and caused by fallout from Brexit? Public sector cuts? Poor role models on tv? No longer teaching Latin in the classroom?

Lack of civility on social media?

I think it’s hypersensitivity. This is just one of many aspects of life that are now whipped up beyond frenzy. People also. Ow have the thinnest of thin skins.

just look at the nonsense in Parliament yesterday....

The result of recent years of everything and everyone being called sexist/racist/homophobic etc

If you`re referring to Dele Alli getting hit by that bottle last night I`d put it down to the fact that it was a pumped up derby, the media are now claiming it was a racial issue which is a complete load of boll***s and to fair (not that I`m condoning it) but Alli is one of the biggest wind up merchants in the premiership

IMO, it’s 99.9% better than it was back when I started going in the 80s. The abuse and comments thrown at the players at times then was ridiculous when you lack back at it now. I’ve not heard a racist slur at any game for years now. It’s not perfect by any means but in my opinion it’s about as good as it’ll get, without turning it into a ridiculously sterile and dull environment.

I'm not sure players getting upset about bottles, bananas and coins being thrown at them is hypersensitivity to be honest.

I’m not defending this at all, but you’re bound to get a few idiots from time to time and at least now they can pretty much be identified and dealt with as they should be. The fact these incidents are reported show how rarely they happen.

If you`re referring to Dele Alli getting hit by that bottle last night I`d put it down to the fact that it was a pumped up derby, the media are now claiming it was a racial issue which is a complete load of boll***s and to fair (not that I`m condoning it) but Alli is one of the biggest wind up merchants in the premiership

Objects getting thrown at players is not good but one problem with this particular incident is that the plastic bottle hit Alli on the back of his head. He then put his hand to a spot on the left side of his head, which was untouched, and continued to rub that spot as if it was painful so it was reminiscent of the cheating players do when they feign injury to try to get another player sent off. A bottle being thrown at a player is bad enough in itself so an honest reaction would have been better.

We had our own numptie living in the Chapel on Sunday afternoon!!!!!

After Austin had scored and the air had filled up with paper clackers, some bellend decided that wasn’t enough and somewhere in their pin sized brain the solitary brain cell sparked into life with the dumb idea to launch a partially full water bottle from the rows in the upper letters of the alphabet at the already annoyed Arsenal Goalie.....Why??!! Thankfully it missed and he ignored it aside from kicking it into the advertising board with gusto.

So if you are treated like a criminal next Thursday upon entering SMS you have some **** in the Chapel to thank!

It really is totally overblown these days. The police need to keep up the perception that violence is rife in order to get their cushy weekend overtime, and organisations like Kick it Out need to keep up the perception that racism is rife otherwise they become obsolete.

False flag pal?

It really is totally overblown these days. The police need to keep up the perception that violence is rife in order to get their cushy weekend overtime, and organisations like Kick it Out need to keep up the perception that racism is rife otherwise they become obsolete.

Thanks Mr Ike.

I’d say fan behaviour is at an all time low.

Yesterday I came across some weirdo on twitter (owen saints or something) who films himself / his reactions at games. He even fimiled himself crying with the loss to Cardiff. What an absolute weapon.

Shameful that this is what modern football has become.

Yesterday I came across some weirdo on twitter (owen saints or something) who films himself / his reactions at games. He even fimiled himself crying with the loss to Cardiff. What an absolute weapon.

It is what the future brings us.

When I started going inthe late 60's it was part of the match day experience seeing sets of fans going at each other. As time went on and it got nastier, it was time for things to change. It did, and now going to away games is not the madness it was inthe 70's when wearing away colours was a no-no. I'm glad I had those experiences, but now my daughters and granddaughter go Im mightily glad it is in the main a thing of the past. Personally I think the worst time to go to games when the trouble was at its worst was the Mid to late 70's.

In the late 60's to the ear;y70's the Police had little idea how to control it. The poor sods tried to stand between the fans but had little chance to really control the mobs. I recall at least twice at half time the Police coming on the tannoy threatening to postpone the game if the fighting didnt stop in the Milton end. It was Chelsea and West Ham games if I recall correctly. It was London clubs Im sure of that.

Edited by OldNick

See that Napoli fan crying at Anfield when they went behind? You expect the Italians to be emotional but we've always been able to count on our stiff upper lip and heroic British resolve. Sad to hear this virus is infecting our citizens too.

I just checked this tool out. Don't know why but I assumed he would be about 12/13. Mentally I suppose he probably is

If he reads this then note - you are a knob and do not sit anywhere near me while filming yourself

Agree.

But I also find there is always someone near me whever I go to a game who seems to want the world to know what a d1ckhead he is. At Wigan and at Fulham I've had the people behind (aged approx 18-30, so not massively different from me) fall/jump forwards and land on my dad or me in the process. The fact that they could genuinely hurt someone through their stupidity is one thing, but just the simple fact that when some oaf lands on you, you can't enjoy celebrating a goal - the most rare thing for a Saints fan! - is utterly stupid and selfish. Funny how it's also the same people who feel the need to incessantly swear like they're trying to show off (especially if they are sat near women and kids I've noticed), who before the game are aggressively singing and shouting and yet when the game is underway suddenly aren't as vocal, and invariably miss half of the second half because they're still at the bar.

Most of the fans who go to the games are decent (though I find the lack of singing and atmosphere at home a bit rubbish), but there are a small minority who have a tendency to ruin the experience for everyone else (or at least annoy everyone else), from opposite ends of the spectrum - whether it's crying into their snapchat filter or simply being offensive and generally vile human beings.

People shouldn't throw stuff but the Deli Ali thing is just a storm in a tea cup, throwing an empty plastic water bottle - big deal! It's just schoolboy stuff.
I dont think it was empty. There was hell of a thud and the echo coming from the empty space was quite loud

At Wigan and at Fulham I've had the people behind (aged approx 18-30, so not massively different from me) fall/jump forwards and land on my dad or me in the process. The fact that they could genuinely hurt someone through their stupidity is one thing, but just the simple fact that when some oaf lands on you, you can't enjoy celebrating a goal - the most rare thing for a Saints fan! - is utterly stupid and selfish.

I'm not really sure what you can do about this, you're hardly going to stand still when we score and the fact we don't have safe standing and do have seats that encourage people to fall as they're shin height means it's not really their fault.

Anyway sometimes there's something f*cking beautiful about an away end with limps everywhere and people ending up rows from where they started, just ask anyone who was at Anfield for the league cup semi final, i doubt any of them would say they weren't enjoying celebrating the goal!

I've never understood fans crying at football grounds, but filming yourself fake crying? It's the behaviour of a very strange person who probably needs more in their life, and has almost certainly never got laid.

Personally i wish clubs would ban pr*cks like him from the ground, they spend so much time and money banning lads that actually create an atmosphere and trying to get people to sit down, then allow that kind of menace to society in there.

Mind you i'm sure soon enough he'll get bored of it and f*ck off, one of the positives of if we ever get relegated is that nonces like him will f*ck off and concentrate on filming themselves playing FIFA instead

Having attended many games in the 80's and 90's for example, fan behaviour inside the ground has definitely changed. The frequent taunting by opposing fans has all but ceased it seems to me. Most of the banter was harmless, some humorous, some quite nasty depending on circumstances, but it added to the atmosphere, with the usual SFC culprits situated in the west stand or the Archers. The introduction of all seater stadia saw a sea change in fan behaviour. SMS is comfortable with a good view of the game, personally I prefer the standing terraces, even though I couldn't see properly a lot of the time !

In all my time watching SFC I don't ever recall stuff being thrown onto the pitch (which was only about an inch from the terraces) , except bogroll and confetti post World Cup 78.

I'm not really sure what you can do about this, you're hardly going to stand still when we score and the fact we don't have safe standing and do have seats that encourage people to fall as they're shin height means it's not really their fault.

Anyway sometimes there's something f*cking beautiful about an away end with limps everywhere and people ending up rows from where they started, just ask anyone who was at Anfield for the league cup semi final, i doubt any of them would say they weren't enjoying celebrating the goal!

It's just funny how the people who 'fall' into the people in front also happen to be the biggest d1ckheads in the vicinity though. In these recent experiences it was honestly like they did it deliberately to show everyone how "mental" they are. Except when it really comes to it, their support is found wanting. There's a marked difference between everyone going crazy in a moment like Anfield and one guy wanting to show off how passionate he is by landing on you while everyone else is capable of remaining in their row - which most of the time is a big enough space to jump around in without toppling over no matter how vociferous you might be in your celebrations.

People shouldn't throw stuff but the Deli Ali thing is just a storm in a tea cup, throwing an empty plastic water bottle - big deal! It's just schoolboy stuff.

It wasn't empty. It was a storm in a plastic bottle, not a tea up. Many places actually insist on water bottle tops being removed before you enter a stadium, for just this reason, think we had to for Europa games. Guess banning bottle tops and bananas will be the result.

It's just funny how the people who 'fall' into the people in front also happen to be the biggest d1ckheads in the vicinity though. In these recent experiences it was honestly like they did it deliberately to show everyone how "mental" they are. Except when it really comes to it, their support is found wanting. There's a marked difference between everyone going crazy in a moment like Anfield and one guy wanting to show off how passionate he is by landing on you while everyone else is capable of remaining in their row - which most of the time is a big enough space to jump around in without toppling over no matter how vociferous you might be in your celebrations.

I dunno i've fallen over seats more than a few times and it's nothing to do with showing off, especially at an away day, and more to do with the session before the game.

To be honest it's one of the main reasons i want safe standing, falling over seats is incredibly easy in a modern ground, the seats are at the perfect height to dislodge you even with a slight movement and all it takes is someone else to nudge you from behind and momentum will take you forward.

How you can say that baffles me.

The violence of the 70's and 80's reached never before scenes of thuggish behaviour. The mods v rockers of the 60's was nothing in comparison.

The main difference now is that fans in the main have easier access to media outlets.

Spot on. I could give loads of examples, Hearts fan killed by firework shot directly at him, throwing darts and hitting fans was common, Pompey setting fire to Saints scarves and throwing them on the pitch. The violence at the Saints v Everton semi was incredible, I saw fans being Stanleyed on the pitch.

Spot on. I could give loads of examples, Hearts fan killed by firework shot directly at him, throwing darts and hitting fans was common, Pompey setting fire to Saints scarves and throwing them on the pitch. The violence at the Saints v Everton semi was incredible, I saw fans being Stanleyed on the pitch.

Yes, away at Reading in league cup late 70s razor-edged discs Frisbeed into the Saints pen.

There was a famous photo in the papers of a fan with a dart stuck in the bridge of his nose - not Saints related that one though.

Edited by adrian lord

Razor-edged frisbees :lol:

I can remember Leeds at the Dell late 70's someone amongst them brought a family selection pack of Fireworks with them and were letting them off towards the Saints fans in the next pen.............. Leeds scored a goal and a couple of their psycho fans obviously cheered in the middle of the Archers this bloody great big hole appeared in the people with 2 blokes stood like an island in the middle then the hole closed it was like a Windmill convention. Silly Buggers

I deliberately move seats at away games if I'm anywhere near that ***** in the hat.

He really is an utter *****. He’s become known at Hat C*nt by most I know. I was told at Cardiff there were are fairly large group of our fans in swimming caps? Why?

I remember at Bournemouth away a few seasons ago getting on the train at parkway and seeing a group of young lads in rara skirts and Hawaii shirts. I assumed it was a bunch of students on a day out. Imagine my despair when later that day I saw them in our end. Where do we find them?

I dunno i've fallen over seats more than a few times and it's nothing to do with showing off, especially at an away day, and more to do with the session before the game.

To be honest it's one of the main reasons i want safe standing, falling over seats is incredibly easy in a modern ground, the seats are at the perfect height to dislodge you even with a slight movement and all it takes is someone else to nudge you from behind and momentum will take you forward.

Fair enough. As someone who doesn't drink before or during games that's something that I can't relate to (I can imagine though). I'm sure there are plenty of situations where if someone genuinely lost their balance and tumbled into me I wouldn't be p1ssed off with them - in fact I think it HAS happened to me a few times in the past without any problem - but in the recent occasions it has happened it just so happens to have been the guys who have been behaving in such a way that they are clearly twits with a bit of a 'look at me' complex.

Two particularly cringeworthy examples of embarrassing fans behaviour

That second one was no surprise really after those clowns somewhere else had the same song with the flowerpot. At the same time, as anyone who was there will testify, that game had descended into a bit of a dull affair on the pitch as we were 5 or 6 nil up at the time and coasting to the point where 2 players at a time could have taken turns to sit down on the bench to relax for a couple of minutes.

Being positioned not too far from where it was dragging on, it did give some relief from the woman in the row behind me letting everyone know which Saints player was on the ball, and she was on first name terms with each and every one of them.................well all except Oriol Romeu: bloomin foreigners with their fandangled names! :)