Gabbi Vs Austin: Sell one, keep one

Bad Wolf

Imagine you're the Saints manager. The club tell you, in January, either Gabbi or Austin will be sold and it's up to you which one. No option to sell both, no option to keep both. They're both subject to a bid for exactly the same price and imagine they're both on the same money.

Which one stays and which one goes?

Any chance of a poll, mods?

Edited by Instant Classic
Poll requesting.

Stats since 2016/17 Gabbi Austin

Minutes played/90 25.28 28.99

Open play goals /90min 0.40 0.41

Assists 0 1

Distance run(km/90min) 7.90 7.94

Touches/90min 28.68 36.53

Passes forward 89 163

Passes backward 171 158

Aerial battles won 31 110

Tackles won 6 20

Austin edges him in goals/assist return and contributes a lot more around the field. Gabbi won't suit RH's pressing style at all.

Assists 0 1

Passes forward 89 163

Passes backward 171 158

Tackles won 6 20

Austin edges him in goals/assist return and contributes a lot more around the field. Gabbi won't suit RH's pressing style at all.

Interesting stats! Austin runs more than Gabbi! If someone had asked me which player was more energetic I would have picked Gabbi.

Interesting stats! Austin runs more than Gabbi! If someone had asked me which player was more energetic I would have picked Gabbi.

Personally I have always thought Austin puts in a shift, despite the criticism he gets you can't fault him for effort IMO.

Early signs suggest that Austin seems more favoured and will be more involved by Ralph than Gabby.

I'd also suggest that Gabbi has more re-sale value, I think plenty of clubs in Italy would probably take a risk on him considering his decent record there, where as Austin's injury record, age etc. make make it more difficult for us to sell him anyway.

We have a very clear no. 1 striker at the moment, that is Ings and I doubt, unless the black box pulls a gem out of the bag, we are going to get better any time soon.

We then have Austin, Gabbi, Long, Gallagher as other options, who all bring about something different but none, aside Long offer what we are missing, which is genuine pace.

IF long terms Ralph is moving towards two strikers like his RBL team had, then we are basically looking for a Werner I think, probably to pair with Ings, who whilst he isn't the tallest has a decent all round game and is physical enough. Probably with Austin then as the back up 'target man' type player, with Gallagher also able to play that role if he ever gets fit.

And Long is the pace, and has the work rate/energy for the pressing, he just is not a very reliable goalscorer/technician, so again would be impact.

Which all considering to me says sell Gabbi, he doesn't seem to fit the picture and we should be able to recoup £10-15 million for him, which can then part go towards a new 'pacey' striker.

EDIT: LOL., after I wrote this I found this article -

The Southampton striker, Manolo Gabbiadini, wants to quit St Mary's in January and return to Italy with Fiorentina, according to the Daily Mirror (December 20, page 58).

The newspaper claims that the new Saints manager, Ralph Hasenhuttl, is willing to cash in on Gabbiadini after being told he must sell players before he can buy.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/20/report-manolo-gabbiadini-wants-to-quit-southampton-for-fiorentin/

Edited by tajjuk

Assists 0 1

Passes forward 89 163

Passes backward 171 158

Tackles won 6 20

Those stats certainly indicate that Austin contributes a hell of a lot more. He is ahead in every category apart from passing the ball backwards. Anyway, rumours abound that the decision has already been made and that Gabbiadini is going to be sold. I have total faith in our manager to make the right decision and to use the money wisely to strengthen the squad.

Sell both, neither suited to RH game. Austin has proved he can do a job for 20 minutes, but can't see him lasting much more than that.

MG a saleable asset, but will probably take a loss. Austin will take a loss for sure, but both will be on decent $ freeing up some space in the squad and wage bill.

Buy one quality striker. Ings, Long, Obafemi, Gallagher all suited to RH way.

Sell both, neither suited to RH game. Austin has proved he can do a job for 20 minutes, but can't see him lasting much more than that.

MG a saleable asset, but will probably take a loss. Austin will take a loss for sure, but both will be on decent $ freeing up some space in the squad and wage bill.

Buy one quality striker. Ings, Long, Obafemi, Gallagher all suited to RH way.

I'd surprised if we made a loss on Austin if we sold him unless he left on a free considering he only cost £4 million.

Would still would expect a loss given the state of his shoulders and knees. Hence why we we only got him for $4 million in the 1st place.

Been a good signing for that price, but now struggling to complete 90 minutes.

To be fair the main reason we got him at that price was because he had 6 months left on his QPR deal.

I'd sell gabbi as he has a year longer on his contract so we can let Austin run out his contract for one season once we've found a proper partner for Ings. While doing so Austin will at least chip in with a few goals off the bench, something I'm not sure gabbi has ever done ... Except at Swansea of course.

Since we signed Gabbi he has scored 10 league goals (and 2 more in the Cup final). In the same period of time Austin has scored 9.

This is misleading since Austin missed the 1/2 of 2 seasons, so in reality he played a full season less than Gabbi. Austins goals per minute is much higher

I'm surprised how many people have wanted Gabbiadini starting over the last year, he's shown next to nothing since Puel. I'm no big Austin fan but he's a really useful bench player, and I think Gabbi's got enough admirers in Italy that we could get a decent fee for him.

Id sell both and long and bring in someone better. Timo Werner maybe..... In my dreams maybe :)

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

Ahh just sell players and bring in someone better. Greta work. Simple this football business isn’t it?

That was all we had to do with Pelle wasn’t it.