Xmas/new year period - other games

Batman

I do wonder where'd be in the table if Puel was still in charge. Champions League for sure.

Difficult to get to the champions league in front of crowds of below 10,000. They wpuld be the only ones who would stomach another season and half of Puel's style of football.

Everton really are something else, aren’t they. With their win today they are now “the first English club to score 7,000 top flight goals”, and by looking at their twitter they’re adding that to the list of firsts (dug outs, flood lights etc).

Nothing says mediocrity more than their pathetic list of first achievements.

In other news I pray for a result against West Ham tomorrow so I can ‘support’ city come next Sunday... I don’t think I could cope with the victims winning the league this year (it’s looking very likely they will).

God I hate that city/clubs from it.

Everton really are something else, aren’t they. With their win today they are now “the first English club to score 7,000 top flight goals”, and by looking at their twitter they’re adding that to the list of firsts (dug outs, flood lights etc).

In other news I pray for a result against West Ham tomorrow so I can ‘support’ city come next Sunday... I don’t think I could cope with the victims winning the league this year (it’s looking very likely they will).

surely not!!! i hate liverpool as much as the next person on here but id rather we beat city on sunday!!!

some other teams can take the 9/10pts off Liverpool that's required if we were to beat City.

****ing hell, you’re at it again. You wanted us to lose at Fulham last season, your excuse was you wanted the manager sacked. Now you want us to lose to help another team. Hardly Saints till I die is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sentences 1,2 and 4 I agree with.

But wanting us to lose... never. The only scenario would be if us losing hindered the skates in some way.

I can't believe that. Under no circumstances could I ever support a team against Saints.

Whatever happens with City, Liverpool, Spurs is totally secondary to Saints.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As a Saints fan it's pretty irrelevant who wins the league. I'd rather Liverpool didn't but it barely matters to us, unlike beating Man City which would be amazing.

A good set of results for us today, hopefully we can get something tomorrow to take advantage of them.

I can't believe that. Under no circumstances could I ever support a team against Saints.

Whatever happens with City, Liverpool, Spurs is totally secondary to Saints.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Of course, but due to the pathetic start to our season the best we can hope for is mid table. I’m confident that under Ralph we are as good as safe and a win against West Ham would further that even more. The reality is, us not getting 3 points against one of the best 2 teams in the league isn’t going to define our season we’re going to finish mid-table regardless of the result Sunday, but if City go 9 points behind Liverpool that’ll be the title race all but over, imo.

Support is probably the wrong choice of words. I won’t be actively supporting City and I of course would celebrate a win, but a it will certainly soften the blow if/when we lose which is always very likely outcome anyway.

#greatergood

As it happens I think we’ll get a draw on Sunday.

Maybe it’s just me, but the thought of Liverpool winning the league is a scary one

Sentences 1,2 and 4 I agree with.

But wanting us to lose... never. The only scenario would be if us losing hindered the skates in some way.

I’m not sure even then, if it hindered Pompey. The only times I’ve wanted Saints to lose was Branfoot’s final games and even then,it was plummeting gates like Ipswich that did it. Arguably losing that two goal lead v Man U helped the club long term by sacking Hughes and appointing Ralph but it wasn’t something I wanted at the time.

Not worried who wins the league, still think City will take them to the wire. Despise Lovren but if Saints get a few million extra from all of the transfer clauses if Liverpool did win the league then silver linings and all of that.

Of course, but due to the pathetic start to our season the best we can hope for is mid table. I’m confident that under Ralph we are as good as safe and a win against West Ham would further that even more. The reality is, us not getting 3 points against one of the best 2 teams in the league isn’t going to define our season we’re going to finish mid-table regardless of the result Sunday, but if City go 9 points behind Liverpool that’ll be the title race all but over, imo.

Support is probably the wrong choice of words. I won’t be actively supporting City and I of course would celebrate a win, but a it will certainly soften the blow if/when we lose which is always very likely outcome anyway.

#greatergood

Maybe it’s just me, but the thought of Liverpool winning the league is a scary one

Need to remember the first Rule of Holes: when you are in one stop digging.

..........probably time to ease up on the Snowballs too!!:p

Quite sad that people would rather give the league to a petrostate propaganda machine than Liverpool. Obviously annoying to watch players go there but at least they're a proper club.

:lol: Like heck are they a ‘proper’ club.

They’re a corporate cash machine just like the rest of them. Foreign owners, foreign players, foreign fans, foreign merchandise deals, sponsored by a multi-national bank, worldwide multi-billion dollar TV deals.

If anything, their ridiculous sent of entitlement and the fans belief that they are something special makes me dislike them more than the rest of the top 6.

They’re a corporate cash machine just like the rest of them. Foreign owners, foreign players, foreign fans, foreign merchandise deals, sponsored by a multi-national bank, worldwide multi-billion dollar TV deals.

If anything, their ridiculous sent of entitlement and the fans belief that they are something special makes me dislike them more than the rest of the top 6.

A bit like us then! The distinction is that Liverpool have earnt that money and success through their support and sporting endeavour over decades. They haven't been given it by a repressive Middle Eastern regime that wants to whitewash its reputation by being associated with a good football team.

Quite sad that people would rather give the league to a petrostate propaganda machine than Liverpool. Obviously annoying to watch players go there but at least they're a proper club.

Three clubs I can't ****ing stand Pompey, Liverpool and Spurs in that order don't want to see any of those three ****bag clubs win anything....

...mind you I draw the line at wanting to saints to lose a game to stop those three winning something that's just ****ing weird.

A bit like us then! The distinction is that Liverpool have earnt that money and success through their support and sporting endeavour over decades. They haven't been given it by a repressive Middle Eastern regime that wants to whitewash its reputation by being associated with a good football team.

Saints aren’t special either. Nobody in the Premier League is. We’re all just global brands now. Liverpool have a large fan base, which is based on their success in the 80s, which their shareholders are keen to exploit. However their ‘greatness’ as a club doesn’t push them any higher up the League than Forrest, Villa, Leeds and a bunch of other clubs with rich histories. They are where they are because they have rich owners.

Their support hasn’t ‘earned’ anything, only in the minds of Liverpool fans.

Saints aren’t special either. Nobody in the Premier League is. We’re all just global brands now. Liverpool have a large fan base, which is based on their success in the 80s, which their shareholders are keen to exploit. However their ‘greatness’ as a club doesn’t push them any higher up the League than Forrest, Villa, Leeds and a bunch of other clubs with rich histories. They are where they are because they have rich owners.

Their support hasn’t ‘earned’ anything, only in the minds of Liverpool fans.

And that's why i've been falling out of love with football more and more every year. I honestly wish the foreign fans of every club would just f*ck off, the TV deals would stop, the money would dry up and the plastics would move onto something else that's trendy in their student union.

Sadly i doubt any of that is going to happen, so instead we get the creeping americanisation of the game continuing and the soul being ripped out of once proud clubs that represented their local communities.

Happy xmas everyone.

#greatergood

Arrogance personified.

Agree. City represents the extreme and shady end of these trends (anyone who claims otherwise is frankly clueless). The irony, however, is that precisely because City are such an artificial club, I feel more indifferent towards their success. And having already won the league recently, the novelty factor has worn off.

The same can’t be said about Liverpool who’ve wallowed in their own mystique and narcissism for decades -denying their supporters -and their most evangelical supporters still tend to be local- of what they believe is their destiny would frankly be a massive f**king laugh.

If Liverpool win the league, they'll have bought it just as much as City did, there spending for the last 4 years is north of £500 million. They broke the transfer records for Defender and GK this year.

Edited by tajjuk

If Liverpool win the league, they'll have bought it just as much as City did, there spending for the last 4 years is north of £500 million. They broke the transfer records for Defender and GK this year.

Yes, but it would be the greatest ‘bought’ title ever

Exactly, I would much prefer City to win over Liverpool and their scumbag supporters.

And to think some fans dint even want us to consider Shaqiri. Getting him for £12m is bargain of season.

But Shaqiri is only appearing a £12m bargain due to the players he has been blended with at Liverpool. If we bought him he would have probably been an upgrade on Redmond in that he would have goals in his boots and the bloody mindedness to go past folks instead of slowing down to think about doing so.

If you watched him in the game at SMS last season he persistently moaned at just about every team mate for not being on his wavelength, which was for much of the game. Maybe he would have worked well with Ings and Austin both being natural predators.

At the end of the day the bloke has gone from a relegated Premier League club to Liverpool without having to step on the Southampton stone along the way.

To compare, Liverpool have more "pedigree" than City will ever have, for what thats worth. They won everything in an era when players from north of Hadrians wall were considered foreigners. The big spending Chelsea, City and Utd have left them behind for a good few years, so they can't be blamed for joining the circus to recreate past glories, Yes they have asset-stripped SFC recently, if it wasn't them then someone else would have done it. The fact that we've largely wasted their cash isn't their fault.

The current PL model is unsavoury for sure, but compared to other leagues there are more contenders at the top which on paper should make it more interesting, although historically only 6 clubs have won the PL, if you discount Blackburn (94-95) and Leicester (15-16) that leaves 4, with Chelsea, City and Utd winning from 1992 onwards.

So a Liverpool title would be a refreshing change IMO...?

The only thing worse than Liverpool winning would be Spurs IMO but either of those scenarios would make me want to puke. Hopefully City falling behind will take a bit of pressure off them and spur them on. It's early days and I can still see city catching them both.

I don't mind Liverpool leading at this stage because it makes things a bit more interesting and it will make it all the funnier if/when they bottle it at the last minute. Something comically tragic like Gerrard slipping on his arse or last season's CL final would be fantastic.

To compare, Liverpool have more "pedigree" than City will ever have, for what thats worth. They won everything in an era when players from north of Hadrians wall were considered foreigners. The big spending Chelsea, City and Utd have left them behind for a good few years, so they can't be blamed for joining the circus to recreate past glories, Yes they have asset-stripped SFC recently, if it wasn't them then someone else would have done it. The fact that we've largely wasted their cash isn't their fault.

The current PL model is unsavoury for sure, but compared to other leagues there are more contenders at the top which on paper should make it more interesting, although historically only 6 clubs have won the PL, if you discount Blackburn (94-95) and Leicester (15-16) that leaves 4, with Chelsea, City and Utd winning from 1992 onwards.

So a Liverpool title would be a refreshing change IMO...?

Apart from the last sentence I'd agree with most of that. You can't argue with Liverpool's immense history. If it wasn't for Lovren and VVD I wouldn't mind them winning it. But even with those two bastards, it would be better them winning it than bloody Spurs.