Sunderland 'Til I Die

mrfahaji

Anyone watched/watching this on Netflix? First impression may suggest not Saints related, but a number of things have stood out while watching it:

- the new manager 'bounce'. When Coleman joins you can see everyone in the club getting a lift, after one win all the supporters hailing him as a revelation etc.

- fans telling the owner he is ruining the club because he's decided not to invest any more of his own money, even though Sunderland had been reliant on his funds for the past god knows how many seasons

- fans claiming players aren't trying or don't care when it's much more about confidence/belief

- players reluctant to join, either on loan or permanently because of their league position

- fans saying things like "this group of players should be doing much better, we have one of the best teams on paper"

Sound familiar?

Entering this new period with Hasenhuttl and without Les Reed I'm optimistic, but this series shows that it's rarely a case of things being glaringly wrong in any one area of the club, but rather subtle deficiencies either on the field or off it (opr both).

Great series, really well produced and shows the ugly (and positive) sides of supporting a club of their/our size going through bad times.

My everlasting feel for it is how utterly out of his depth the chief executive was.

I felt bad for Coleman.

Took on a poor squad and had a considerable injury list. Bizarre some of their fans raving about their squad in the early eps... it's like when Les trotted out that line about best midfielf options in the league.

Grabban came out of it looking like a c*ck too.

I felt bad for Coleman.

Took on a poor squad and had a considerable injury list. Bizarre some of their fans raving about their squad in the early eps... it's like when Les trotted out that line about best midfielf options in the league.

Grabban came out of it looking like a c*ck too.

Yes, Coleman really picked the poisoned chalice. But, he clearly didn't have all players onside. McGeady (I think it was him) was not happy with his training methods. Grabban at least realised he was being selfish. The most unbelievable one was Rodwell, happy to collect his 60k a week and strangling the club with his contract.

it is a two-way thing. The club were happy to give him said contract......which for Rodwell is ridiculous in any scenario.

Indeed. But the situation was very clear to him, the club made him an offer to release him and he rejected it. I would suspect that the compensation he received for his contract being cancelled last summer will have 'rewarded' his loyalty.

Yes, Coleman really picked the poisoned chalice. But, he clearly didn't have all players onside. McGeady (I think it was him) was not happy with his training methods. Grabban at least realised he was being selfish. The most unbelievable one was Rodwell, happy to collect his 60k a week and strangling the club with his contract.

Fair point. When you're in the mire you need the players on side.

That's the thing, you could see the logic in both Grabban's and Rodwell's stances but it's the sort of thing that infuriates a lot of fans who want to see a team put first.

The Williams segments made interesting watching. Hard as a fan not to get frustrated when things are bleak but you can see just how important confidence can be to some players. Made me think of one or two of our own!

McGeady was pretty scathing of Coleman

Yep, although one of his criticisms was that he wasn’t angry enough following a defeat and just wanted to move on to the next game. Can imagine that’s a scenario where you can’t win as a manager - some players would surely argue its better to stay positive and not dwell on things which will deplete a squad already low on confidence even more.

Was a good documentary.

They had some garbage players didn’t they.

Shea, Wilson, Cattermole, Gibson, Rodwell.

Can you really blame an owner for not continuing to invest into something they’ve probably ploughed millions into with little or no return. Shows how our set up of selling high buying low, really does work.

Still, got a spare billion quid, buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk