The positive things Ralph has changed

Pilchards

It’s a miracle that we are winning games even at Xmas, and it’s obviously down to the impact of our new manager.

A clear change from me is having a game plan and an identity as a football

team.

Marking at the set pieces yesterday I noticed the 3 centre backs don’t mark anyone. They attack the ball as a free spirit.

Our attacking purposes are more direct and full of running too. I love the fact Targett and Valery are sometimes leading the front line alongside Ings.

Whilst I agree we shouldn't get carried away, to see the visible impact on the pitch of their harder work is brilliant.

No longer second to every ball, no longer puffing away looking out of condition, no longer a team of individuals getting frustrated and getting cards, better tactics, meaningful substitutions, etc.

Whilst I agree we shouldn't get carried away, to see the visible impact on the pitch of their harder work is brilliant.

No longer second to every ball, no longer puffing away looking out of condition, no longer a team of individuals getting frustrated and getting cards, better tactics, meaningful substitutions, etc.

Agree

Ings first couple of games he looked very good, then turned into a cart-horse

Now after a couple of week with Ralph in charge, he looks very busy again.

Up until two weeks ago it would have been considered such.

No it wouldn't, just like beating CP away wasn't regarded as a miracle. If we were stuck with MH we would have every chance of beating Huddersfield away.

I love what Ralph is bringing to the team and pleased that we now have a football vision and someone to implement it. I know its fashionable to think we have a **** squad but we haven't. Ralph hasn't overhauled their condition or coached them to improve in two wesks, because that is impossible. We have a decent squad and now a decent manager and it will be interesting to see what they can do together.

Ralph is amazing. I think we should get carried away - I understand the train is leaving the station.

I’m particularly amazed as I thought Hughes was doing as well as possible with this squad and much better than Pellegrino.

I must admit I was going off football and seriously considering not renewing after 30 years as a season ticket holder.

Let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

A remarkable change. Saved the season.

Might sound dramatic but possibly saved this club.

Under Reed n Hughes we were slowly dying. Fans losing interest and importantly the next generation of fan completely repulsed by SFC.

The club had lost its mojo, it's identity, it's purpose.

The feel good is back

1) Fitness

2) Pressing in the right moments

3) not playing Hoedt

4) telling players to forget everything they’ve been told previously and they are good enough (bar Hoedt)

5) Training correctly

6) playing a DM with Hoj, Lemina and/or Armstrong.

7) playing Berdanek (not a world beater CB but does simple things right)

8) Interaction with fans, media and players

9) On his train

10) not being Mark Hughes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under Reed n Hughes we were slowly dying. Fans losing interest and importantly the next generation of fan completely repulsed by SFC.

The feel good is back

You have posted much bunkum Glasgow but you're on the money with this effort.

I know its fashionable to think we have a **** squad but we haven't. Ralph hasn't overhauled their condition or coached them to improve in two wesks, because that is impossible. We have a decent squad and now a decent manager and it will be interesting to see what they can do together.

Wasn't it Bertrand who tweeted about what a difference having clear instructions made? Ralph hasn't coached them into better players in two weeks - but he has clearly improved motivation and is sending them out with a game plan they buy in to

You will get some grief for suggesting that but you could be right

I thought he had previously been considered, perhaps back in the summer, but the club obviously ultimately felt Hughes should be given the job after "keeping us up". I imagine recruting him now was just a question of seeing who we had been looking at before and resurrecting our interest, made easier of course by the fact Ralph was between jobs. So yes, it was probably down to Reed, hard to believe Krueger came up with the idea on his own. The Red Bull link may have played a part (going back to Markus' involvement with RB before he purchased us), Red Bull can be quite a tight knit sporting community.

Yes, in 2 games we have gone from zeros to heros !

I was hoping this would happen under Hughes, as at the arse end of last season there was a definite upturn in performances when he came in, but as we all know he was out of his depth (the 3 year contract still baffles me - did he hold us to ransom....?).

The 2 wins so far have come against sides who performed poorly in those games, Arsenal had a makeshift defense and an off day, Hudds are just poor full stop. What does it matter, we'll take the points. If we can get 4 points from the next 2 games we can genuinely say we have the Mesiah in our camp !

The reasons are simple, hard work and tactical nous, the rest follows if the players are half decent (most of ours are).

It’s a miracle that we are winning games even at Xmas, and it’s obviously down to the impact of our new manager.

A clear change from me is having a game plan and an identity as a football

team.

Marking at the set pieces yesterday I noticed the 3 centre backs don’t mark anyone. They attack the ball as a free spirit.

Our attacking purposes are more direct and full of running too. I love the fact Targett and Valery are sometimes leading the front line alongside Ings.

Binning the absolutely awlful zonal marking from dead balls was an excellent start that's for sure.

1) not automatically looking to pass back and "build up"

2) not focused on possession

3) press all over, creating traps, no more letting the opponent just pass it around while we wait

4) attack from the minute you have possession (now we see players turn and go rather than pass back)

5) no more "static" formations, all player are making runs some from deep in the formation

at one point yesterday a defender made a run and Ings stepped back as a CB to replace him

we made it far too easy for the defenders before

I made the comment a few matches ago that I didn't think our strikers were bad, I just think the team was not creating any chances. We can see that is true now. Before we were just static, players staying the their boxes, and our offense revolved around crosses into the box after the D was already set.

1) not automatically looking to pass back and "build up"

2) not focused on possession

3) press all over, creating traps, no more letting the opponent just pass it around while we wait

4) attack from the minute you have possession (now we see players turn and go rather than pass back)

5) no more "static" formations, all player are making runs some from deep in the formation

at one point yesterday a defender made a run and Ings stepped back as a CB to replace him

we made it far too easy for the defenders before

I made the comment a few matches ago that I didn't think our strikers were bad, I just think the team was not creating any chances. We can see that is true now. Before we were just static, players staying the their boxes, and our offense revolved around crosses into the box after the D was already set.

We were so slow and predictable with the last 3 managers, although Hughes did try and get them to play forward passes more .... now just about every time a player gets the ball, the first reaction is to go into attack mode rather than make painfully slow passes across the halway line which eventually leads to an aimless punt and possesion lost.

Positive tactics inspires positive performances and encourages more effort as you are more likely to create chances rather than keeping possession for the sake of it.

Beating Huddersfield really isn't a miracle.

Exactly how many matches had we won this season before beating Arsenal? It might not be a "miracle" but I am not going to whinge about winning back to back matches for the first time in how long exactly? FFS what is wrong with some people here? The Board have given us an excellent early Christmas present in Ralph. Make the most of it because he looks like he is destined for bigger and better things!

I thought he had previously been considered, perhaps back in the summer, but the club obviously ultimately felt Hughes should be given the job after "keeping us up". I imagine recruting him now was just a question of seeing who we had been looking at before and resurrecting our interest, made easier of course by the fact Ralph was between jobs. So yes, it was probably down to Reed, hard to believe Krueger came up with the idea on his own. The Red Bull link may have played a part (going back to Markus' involvement with RB before he purchased us), Red Bull can be quite a tight knit sporting community.

I said to friends that it would be a mistake to give Hughes a contract after we avoided relegation. It seemed very likely that Hughes thought when he took on the job last season that if we miraculously avoided the drop he would be offered a decent contract. He could then make sure we played badly enough for him to get paid off with a nice fat compensation deal. A no lose bet for Hughes.

I said to friends that it would be a mistake to give Hughes a contract after we avoided relegation. It seemed very likely that Hughes thought when he took on the job last season that if we miraculously avoided the drop he would be offered a decent contract. He could then make sure we played badly enough for him to get paid off with a nice fat compensation deal. A no lose bet for Hughes.

Do you really think he made sure we played badly ? :mcinnes:

Heard it all now

The feel good is back

Agree, personally felt that if we were relegated this season we would implode financially and as a result as a club much like last time.Ralphs appointment has literally saved the club from utter meltdown.

Right...

The feel good is back

Noticed yesterday just after we scored he looked at the Saints fans with a very happy face.

Jesus wept.

Exactly how many matches had we won this season before beating Arsenal? It might not be a "miracle" but I am not going to whinge about winning back to back matches for the first time in how long exactly? FFS what is wrong with some people here? The Board have given us an excellent early Christmas present in Ralph. Make the most of it because he looks like he is destined for bigger and better things!

Whoa there old fool, where was I whinging. I know you like to be triggered and have a good old moan but you completely ignored my next post.

The common narrative is that we have assembled a **** squad, in the hands of two **** managers the players look poor, but with RH they look a lot better already because they aren't that bad. Even with Hughes we were no where nearly as bad as the **** Derby or Sunderland sides that went down. Because old Les wasn't as bad as people like to make out, he was the one that wasn't sold on Mark Hughes and wanted to look at other managers this summer and probably one of those on his list was RH. And Bad Ralph, another derided figure seems to have been instrumental in bringing Good Ralph in.

So yes we seem to have got our hands on a really decent manager and with our players that are not too bad we look set to steady the ship and push on.

Yet, that is what he has done. Quite strange to say otherwise
Batman another one who likes to misunderstand. What he has done is set the players up to play in his style of football, he is working on their condition and will be coaching them, but the the small amount of sessions he has had will have had little effect on their condition or skill level. The positive effect so far has been down to his style of management and his footballing philosophy, Time will tell if he is capable of improving the players, I have hunch that he will be.

Batman another one who likes to misunderstand. What he has done is set the players up to play in his style of football, he is working on their condition and will be coaching them, but the the small amount of sessions he has had will have had little effect on their condition or skill .

Your evidence/expertise is?

Whoa there old fool, where was I whinging. I know you like to be triggered and have a good old moan but you completely ignored my next post.

The common narrative is that we have assembled a **** squad, in the hands of two **** managers the players look poor, but with RH they look a lot better already because they aren't that bad. Even with Hughes we were no where nearly as bad as the **** Derby or Sunderland sides that went down. Because old Les wasn't as bad as people like to make out, he was the one that wasn't sold on Mark Hughes and wanted to look at other managers this summer and probably one of those on his list was RH. And Bad Ralph, another derided figure seems to have been instrumental in bringing Good Ralph in.

So yes we seem to have got our hands on a really decent manager and with our players that are not too bad we look set to steady the ship and push on.

Batman another one who likes to misunderstand. What he has done is set the players up to play in his style of football, he is working on their condition and will be coaching them, but the the small amount of sessions he has had will have had little effect on their condition or skill level. The positive effect so far has been down to his style of management and his footballing philosophy, Time will tell if he is capable of improving the players, I have hunch that he will be.

Triggered :lol:

Very pleased to have taught you that word pal.