Everton v Spurs 2-6 Same as Grobelaar Game scoreline

spyinthesky

Anyone remember the same scoreline when we played Spurs in a FA Cup Replay back in the 80's?

Recollect that Le Tizz scored for us in a 1-1 draw at WHL and think we were 2-0 up in the replay at the Dell.

If my memory is correct Spurs pegged us back to 2-2 at 90 mins only for Ronnie Rosenthal to score a couple from range with Grobelaar later accused of match fixing

Anyone remember the same scoreline when we played Spurs in a FA Cup Replay back in the 80's?

Recollect that Le Tizz scored for us in a 1-1 draw at WHL and think we were 2-0 up in the replay at the Dell.

If my memory is correct Spurs pegged us back to 2-2 at 90 mins only for Ronnie Rosenthal to score a couple from range with Grobelaar later accused of match fixing

I think RR got a hatrick

Yes, remember it well. Rosenthal wasn't that good and never did anything comparable in his whole career but no one thought of match fixing at the time, it was just not something anyone considered, but later the evidence against Grobelaar grew. Have we ever got anything good out of Liverpool apart from Danny Ings?

Yes, remember it well. Rosenthal wasn't that good and never did anything comparable in his whole career but no one thought of match fixing at the time, it was just not something anyone considered, but later the evidence against Grobelaar grew. Have we ever got anything good out of Liverpool apart from Danny Ings?

Darren Potter was alright and tbf Adam Hammill did put in that one good cross for BWP that one time.

Jimmy Case (via Brighton). Possibly Bruce Grobbelaar (depending whether you tthink he was good or not)

Although he'd been OK for Liverpool, he never kept a single clean sheet for us until the bribery scandal finally hit the headlines on the back pages of the tabloids. Then the very next game, at home v Arsenal in November, with Saints fans holding up 'Bruce is Innocent' banners and cheering him like he was a hero, he 'miraculously' kept his first Saints clean sheet and then kept another one in the following game at Palace. It was about the only time he deigned to show his Liverpool form for us.

As for that FA Cup collapse v Spurs, it's a hard one to forget and ranks along with the nightmare at Tranmere as one of the worst memories for us Saints fans who were there. Another one I wish I hadn't been at was the 7-2 loss at White Hart Lane in 2000. The 6-1 defeat there in 1968, didn't seem so bad, as at the end of it we scored the final goal of the game and all sang, 'We're only warming up.' The 5-3 defeat there the season before was even better, as 10,000 of us completely took over the Park Lane End and sang ourselves hoarse for 90 minutes so took some pride from the fact that off the pitch we had taken over at White Hart Lane

Not ashamed to say I left as the 5th goal went in.

On another note, I've had a quick look on the Everton forum and it's full of Xmas cheer. Seem to remember them boasting when their chairman took over that they were going to be the ones to disrupt the top 4. Yeah, well, good luck with that.

Not ashamed to say I left as the 5th goal went in.

On another note, I've had a quick look on the Everton forum and it's full of Xmas cheer. Seem to remember them boasting when their chairman took over that they were going to be the ones to disrupt the top 4. Yeah, well, good luck with that.

I detest spurs with a passion, but even allowing for that, am pleased they won today against the dugout pioneers.

I always thought Grobbelar was a strange signing, he was getting on a bit, late 30s when we signed him IIRC and we already had Dave Besant on the books who was a perfectly adequate keeper. I cant remember who started the season as first choice but Grobbelaar certainly was during the season.

As for that game I remember being quite optimistic, we were playing well and we had beaten them in the league earlier that season at White Hart Lane and then drawing up there bring them back to the Dell you thought we had a good chance of going through. first half we battered them 2-0 up and you're thinking job done, then it all went wrong, 2-2 at full time and fell apart in extra time. In fairness there was some quality in that Spurs team, Sheringham and Klinsmann up front but still disappointing to lose like that. We played them a few weeks later at the Dell in the league and beat them 4-3 in what was a great game.