Who’s our bogey team?

Pilchards

Just a thought as the Hammers are claiming we are a bogey team to them.

Who is our bogey team where we often get spanked time and time again?

I do remember Newcastle used to have a dreadful record against us at the dell as it went on for something like 17 years without a win.

Spurs and Liverhampton

These things change. Right up until the early 90s, we were known as Liverpool's bogey team.

We have played far more games against Spurs than any other team and so we have an exceptionally high number of both victories and defeats against them. In recent decades they have 'owned' us and have become our current bogey team but hopefully Ralph will change that. Conversely, Arsenal used to be our bogey team but we have become a bit of a bogey team for them in recent years.

Overall, apart from the obvious teams, i.e. the ones that every team has a bad record against, like Liverpool and Man United, I agree with ericb and Green: Everton are considered to be our traditional bogey team. We have still beaten them 29 times though (not 5, eric).

Contrast that with Pompey's recent record v Liverpool and Arsenal:

Ever since I’ve been a supporter since early 1980s Everton mainly. Sheffield Weds awkward in 80s, but Everton have been the constant and suspect they were before that. Arsenal record was bad in 1990s but been good against them at home since we came back up. Can only remember 3 wins at Goodison - early 90s midweek with Glenda header, 2-0 with MLT and Davies and this season in the LC. Had a few wins at home but not many over that many games.

Man U we haven’t been bad against, even in their glory years, three straight wins at home in the mid-90s, they considered us as an away game a bogey side.

As someone else has said, Watford under Taylor first time around were hard to beat. West Ham feels about evens Stevens.

Actually I’ve got one nobody has mentioned - Derby. The 6-2 that got Nicholl sacked, late 80s with Shilts and Wright, Eranio and his cheating mate at Pride Park mid 90s, coming back from 2-0 down opening day after Hassan double under Hoddle and the play offs. Did better against them in the St Mary’s era but still that play off defeat...

Actually I’ve got one nobody has mentioned - Derby. The 6-2 that got Nicholl sacked, late 80s with Shilts and Wright, Eranio and his cheating mate at Pride Park mid 90s, coming back from 2-0 down opening day after Hassan double under Hoddle and the play offs. Did better against them in the St Mary’s era but still that play off defeat...

Forgot about Derby! Weren’t we 3-1 up away to them utterly bossing them and they spawned a late 3-3 draw with Mikkel Beck scoring?

God I hated those Derby teams.

GOT to be Leeds:

Ali Dia and losing 0-2 at the Dell, to cap it all I was in the AWAY section trying to pull a Leeds supporting chick from work...

2009 Elland Rd 0-1 -14 degrees centigrade

then the 3-4 Humiliation at St Mary's, after going in 3-0 up at half time.

they are just the lowlights...

We are a bogey team for Pompey (W19 D10 L9), in what is statistically the most one-sided of all the major derby games in England, Brighton (W23 D13 L8), Bournemouth (W13 D8 L7) and Palace (W42 D16 L28). We have a winning record against about half of the teams currently in the Premier League as well as the vast majority of teams outside of it. Until they moved to the Etihad, we had a winning record v Man City but they have just edged ahead.

Our poor overall records v Everton (W29 D23 L48), Leeds (W27 D20 L45) and Spurs (W37 D30 L55) are still better than our record v Arsenal (W21 D26 L49). So, in terms of results, it's Arsenal, although not so much recently.

Snottingham Snotspur

LOL!! I see what you did there .... bogey team ..... :lol:

Also probably factually right. Can only think of 1 win v them since we returned to The Prem .... 2-1 end of season a few years back when the wheels were falling off their Title challlenge and handed it to Leicester on a plate!!

If West Ham fans really think we're their bogey team, they've forgotten last season at their place quicker than I have...

Was that Pellegrino's first or Hughes' last? I know they were both 3-0 and it was West Ham and Newcastle, respectively but I can't remember which way round it was.

I've been following Saints since 2005 and in that time, I think we have a very good record against Sheff Wed don't we? I remember them murdering us about 5-0 once under Burley(?) other than that, I seem to remember beating them most times we've played.