Hampshire CCC 2019 Season thread.

Picard

Only peripherally Hants related but Warwicks are looking nailed on for the drop. If we can beat Notts today then I'd make them favourites to join Warks in D2 next season.

Am I right in thinking there's only one relegation place this year, because they're reshuffling the divisions to put 9 in each? (and obviously creating an imbalance by keeping the number of games at 14 per team :rolleyes: )

Am I right in thinking there's only one relegation place this year, because they're reshuffling the divisions to put 9 in each? (and obviously creating an imbalance by keeping the number of games at 14 per team :rolleyes: )

Probably, just assumed it was the same as last season.

In actual fact, it's even more mental. Only one team goes down, but three are promoted, so they're swapping the numbers around. 10 teams in Division 1 next year, 8 in Division 2. All teams will play 14 matches, so there will be 4 teams in Division One who each team will only play once. What a load of ****.

Probably need a breakthrough soon this morning. Don't think there's actually much danger of them actually making 439 but they've scored a few already and might hang on until the close. Unless of course we're gifting them runs to keep them interested in trying to make the target.

Edwards got one just before lunch. Nash and Mullaney now together, break that partnership at some point in the afternoon session and I think we'll win. Two hours or more to clean up the tail should be sufficient, although that is with the "this is Hampshire, of course" disclaimer in mind :lol:

Edwards got one just before lunch. Nash and Mullaney now together, break that partnership at some point in the afternoon session and I think we'll win. Two hours or more to clean up the tail should be sufficient, although that is with the "this is Hampshire, of course" disclaimer in mind :lol:

Probably, might have to take at least one of the seamers off to adjust the over rate though. Looks like we're 4 behind so far, think we risk a points deduction for that don't we? Dawson usually manages to make up the overs we're short without any noticeable difference in efficacity but Crane or Weatherley might just get tonked if there's nothing in the wicket for them.

Probably, might have to take at least one of the seamers off to adjust the over rate though. Looks like we're 4 behind so far, think we risk a points deduction for that don't we? Dawson usually manages to make up the overs we're short without any noticeable difference in efficacity but Crane or Weatherley might just get tonked if there's nothing in the wicket for them.

Not sure what happens if we bowl them out with overs to spare in that case - surely we could make a case that, with plenty of time left in the day, we would have made an effort to recover the over rate in the evening session if we'd needed to.

Not sure what happens if we bowl them out with overs to spare in that case - surely we could make a case that, with plenty of time left in the day, we would have made an effort to recover the over rate in the evening session if we'd needed to.

Probably. Anyway, Abbott got Nash in one of the first overs after lunch so we're probably on our way to the win now.

Are we in a ...title race?

Maybe, if Vince and Dawson don't selected for the Ashes. With only one going down this season it looks like Hants are almost safe: it's hard to see both Warks and Notts finishing above them. Barker looks like a good signing, as well as Rahane.

Has it been confirmed that next season Div 1 teams play only 14 matches? If so, that's ****ing idiotic. 10 teams was needed, but have everyone play each other twice FFS.

Maybe, if Vince and Dawson don't selected for the Ashes. With only one going down this season it looks like Hants are almost safe: it's hard to see both Warks and Notts finishing above them. Barker looks like a good signing, as well as Rahane.

Has it been confirmed that next season Div 1 teams play only 14 matches? If so, that's ****ing idiotic. 10 teams was needed, but have everyone play each other twice FFS.

i think I heard Kevan James say that Rahane is here for 7 games, don't know if that's Championship and T20 or just Championship. Do we recover Markram after that? If so we'll not be so badly placed because he's a bit of an all-rounder.

As if :lol:

You may be in for a surprise.

Anyway, back to today’s match. Cows grazing on the hillside, buzzards mewing overhead, Wight Night real ale in hand, two Hampshire batsmen on a hundred: that’s as near to Hampshire Cricket Nirvana as I’m ever likely to get. Then, today, a win that puts us second by just two points.

1973 and all that; dare to dream?

We'll see after the Yorks game next week. They thumped us at the Aegeas so not losing, at Headingley I suppose, would be pretty good.

Like us they have lost some players to England. Does Willey play red ball? If so he will have a point to prove.

Seems mad to have an England international at our ground at the same time we are in a Lords final.

In fairness they didn't know who'd make the final, but it is mad to have any other matches on the same day of a Lord's final. Scheduling at its most incompetent.

Am a bit concerned about today, don't think we have anywhere near enough explosive batting to trouble Somerset. I suppose Alsop will open with either Weatherley or Soames but they both usually seem incapable of scoring quickly against decent bowling. Might all be down to Rossouw and Donald, both of whom can either score quickly, or get out to their first ball.

In fairness they didn't know who'd make the final, but it is mad to have any other matches on the same day of a Lord's final. Scheduling at its most incompetent.

Farcical that we don’t have Vince and Dawson available for a final.

Farcical that we don’t have Vince and Dawson available for a final.

Especially looking at the side today. Berg batting at 6 I believe and Chris Wood gets a game again. Vince and Dawson playing at the Aegeas all the same. One Day cup seems to be a bit of a side show this season.

Oh drat, Donald out already, caught at cover. Now we have 2 slowcoachs at bat. This will not end well.

Yep don’t feel confident at all. Alsop gets away with one then identical next ball ffs

Absolute farce to have two players missing for a meaningless warm up game whilst the opponents aren’t hampered in the same way. It will be a hollow victory for Somerset and a hollow defeat for Hampshire if that’s how it pans out. Crazy

Absolute farce to have two players missing for a meaningless warm up game whilst the opponents aren’t hampered in the same way. It will be a hollow victory for Somerset and a hollow defeat for Hampshire if that’s how it pans out. Crazy

To be fair, we've benefited loads of time from playing teams in cups where the opposition haven't been allowed to play their internationals even though there hasn't been a test match on. I've found the whinging from Hampshire fans on twitter a bit embarrassing.

To be fair, we've benefited loads of time from playing teams in cups where the opposition haven't been allowed to play their internationals even though there hasn't been a test match on. I've found the whinging from Hampshire fans on twitter a bit embarrassing.

That's true but not being allowed to replace Markram with Rahane for the final was a bit of a blow. If I recall correctly Markram was a major player in the pool games. Made a fair few runs as an openers, pretty quicky as well and bowled pretty handily.

That's true but not being allowed to replace Markram with Rahane for the final was a bit of a blow. If I recall correctly Markram was a major player in the pool games. Made a fair few runs as an openers, pretty quicky as well and bowled pretty handily.

Rahane was not contracted to play white ball cricket

Hampshire Sign India Test Star Ajinkya Rahane

The batsman becomes the first overseas player from India to sign for Hampshire and will feature in Specsavers County Championship matches throughout May, June and July

27 April 2019

Hampshire Cricket are delighted to announce the signing of India Test batsman, Ajinkya Rahane.

The 30-year-old has signed a deal to become the Club’s overseas player, the first ever from India to represent Hampshire, and will feature in eight Specsavers County Championship fixtures throughout May, June and the start of July, subject to visa clearance.

The batsman becomes the first overseas player from India to sign for Hampshire and will feature in Specsavers County Championship matches throughout May, June and July

27 April 2019

Hampshire Cricket are delighted to announce the signing of India Test batsman, Ajinkya Rahane.

The 30-year-old has signed a deal to become the Club’s overseas player, the first ever from India to represent Hampshire, and will feature in eight Specsavers County Championship fixtures throughout May, June and the start of July, subject to visa clearance.

27 April 2019

OK, just seems strange not to replace a value like Markram with an overseas players for a final. Perhaps as it was just a one off it wasn't worth it and that we have others lined up for the T20.

OK, just seems strange not to replace a value like Markram with an overseas players for a final. Perhaps as it was just a one off it wasn't worth it and that we have others lined up for the T20.

We have Morris from SA for the T20s

Yesterday felt like a pivotal day in our championship season; taking only three wickets was a big disappointment. We might turn it around today, of course, but I reckon Yorkshire are in the box seat now. I wish I had a pound for every run Ballance has scored against us these past few seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
I find it really odd that a match and potentially a league could be decided by the amount of rainy days you get over a season. Just seems completely unfair.

Seen it all before. At least the dodgy one dayers on the last day of rain affected matches are a thing of the past.

We'd have probably been better off if we were playing at Trent Bridge instead of some farmyard, colliery out-ground.