Hampshire CCC 2019 Season thread.

Picard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Sri Lanka opener Dimuth Karunaratne may not join Hampshire as their overseas player, while selectors consider him as a potential World Cup captain.

Karunaratne has been asked to stay in Sri Lanka during April and play in their domestic 50-over competition before the World Cup begins in May."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47625896

"Sri Lanka opener Dimuth Karunaratne may not join Hampshire as their overseas player, while selectors consider him as a potential World Cup captain.

Karunaratne has been asked to stay in Sri Lanka during April and play in their domestic 50-over competition before the World Cup begins in May."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47625896

So once again an iffy situation with our projected overseas player. I know that last season Amla eventually turned up but he didn't seem to be all that interested and swanned off early. Karunaratne played in a representaive game today I think. Made 20 not out.

I looked up some old season start dates yesterday and it seems to me that the County Cricket season is starting earlier and earlier. Used to be mid-end of April'ish I think.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Thoughts on the best Championship lineup?

Will Vince open as the ECB want? Possibly more likely now due to the Sri Lankan not being available.

In theory, a very strong lineup aside from one opening spot.

But as we saw on a fair few occasions last season, if you haven't got solid openers everything else is fragilised.

Thoughts on the best Championship lineup?

Will Vince open as the ECB want? Possibly more likely now due to the Sri Lankan not being available.

In theory, a very strong lineup aside from one opening spot.

Until a replacement overseas is sorted, I'd say we'll go:

Donald, Alsop, Vince, Northeast, Roussow, Dawson, McManus, Berg, Barker, Abbott, Edwards

Still a batsman short in my mind

• 2 weeks later...
Hants have now signed SA opener Aiden Markram in place of Karunaratne, for the first couple of months of the season.

Hopefully gets us off to a good start. Last season early Hants almost seemed to be 0/2 almost. In other news, did I read that Karunaratne has been arrested for drink-driving?

So then 525/8 declared and Fidel gets one of their openers in his second over. Unfortunately not that old stick in the mud Cooke.

Westley out to Kyle, 55/2, but Cook 35 no. Lawrence and Bopara now key as well as Cook, who will look to drop anchor, with Wheater’s injury. Ten-D fast scorer in Roussow mode, Harmer a useful bat but a couple more wickets would leave Essex very exposed.

Hants dispatching their bogey side by an innings. With Cook as well. All bar Weatherley got runs, and brilliant knocks by Northeast and Rosseuw. Hope injury to Allsopp not serious. Bowlers superb - Edwards and Abbott in particular, some tidy overs from Dawson to add to his half century.

Couldn’t have gone better for Birrell. Yorks visiting next, Root off a big unbeaten ton but their bowling looked all over the show at Notts. Let’s enjoy being top of the table for now!

Markram looks to be a decent emergency signing then. Solid with the bat, useful with the ball.

Seems an excellent signing to be replaced by Rahane probably

Not sure about the signings of Fuller and Donald having seem them Canterbury and online at Hedge End

Seems an excellent signing to be replaced by Rahane probably

Not sure about the signings of Fuller and Donald having seem them Canterbury and online at Hedge End

Fuller got some useful runs today after we lost a couple of quick wickets. Didn't bowl because the spinners ground them down.

Donald probably just needs some time, hasn't played much these last 12 months or so.

Fuller got some useful runs today after we lost a couple of quick wickets. Didn't bowl because the spinners ground them down.

Donald probably just needs some time, hasn't played much these last 12 months or so.

Yes you are probably right at least with cricketers they can find form in the 2nd eleven unlike PL footballers who lose form and have no games to play