Do you think VVD is the best centre back in the world right now?.. if not who is?

IOWSaintDaz

I want to settle a debate, I've just heard a commentator on MOTD say VVD is considered the best centre back in the world currently......my son also reckons this to be the case but I disagree, I just want to see if anyone else considers him the best in the world and if not who they would rate better than him

Thoughts please to settle this debate :)

Amazes me how any Saints fan could see he was a world class CB yet multi million pound operations with endless resources didn’t seem to want to pull out everything to get him.

Quality CBs are hard to find.

He and Mane are the only two players I think should have really had more clubs coming in for them.

Aware some of our fans massively overrated players eg Scheiderlin and Wanyama could play for Barca but VVD was different.

He played just as well for us. Stick a big price tag and Liverpool shirt on him and all of a sudden he's the best in the World.

He's one of the best in the PL - that's it, probably the worst facial hair, definitely the biggest tosser.

agree with that. He is probably playing at the same level as he did for his best for us. But now that makes him the worlds greatest ever

agree with that. He is probably playing at the same level as he did for his best for us. But now that makes him the worlds greatest ever

But he’s also shown that he can put in dominant performances against the top opposition i.e. in the CL which, by necessity, he never did with us. That’s why there will also be limits to how much we can sell players for or question marks over their ability.

But he’s also shown that he can put in dominant performances against the top opposition i.e. in the CL which, by necessity, he never did with us. That’s why there will also be limits to how much we can sell players for or question marks over their ability.

fair point

Can't think of many better than him. Despite how things ended, I don't hold a grudge. In reality we could all see that he was 'too good' to stay at Saints. Same as Mane really.

I do look back at the last season with Koeman and think it was a missed opportunity. Probably missing one or two players in terms of squad depth but could or should we have broken in to the top 4 that year?

VVD is still one of my favourite players to watch, Lovren can f*** off though

Ramos, Godin, hummels, boateng, Silva, pique, are all better.

In the prem, I think he is definitely top 3 though, and on current form, top 1.

Not a fan of Hummels or Boateng to be honest. Think they'd look quite limited in the PL.

Out of interest, who else is in your top 3 of PL cbs?

I think Ramos and Varane just have the edge on him currently but no doubting he is quality, just a bit miffed he was only here at Saints for a short spell

But Ramos and Varane don’t play for Liverpool. Ignore the fact they have won every title in the game EACH and play for the worlds mist illustrious club... if you can ignore that, you will see that VvD is like Terry, Rio, Sol and Adams combined

He's good but also overhyped. He plays in the Premier League for Liverpool, has a cool sounding name and a ****y ponytail so gets jizzed over by the media. If he played twice as well for Saints no one who be claiming he was the best in the World, even if he had played a handful of CL games.

He's good but also overhyped. He plays in the Premier League for Liverpool, has a cool sounding name and a ****y ponytail so gets jizzed over by the media. If he played twice as well for Saints no one who be claiming he was the best in the World, even if he had played a handful of CL games.

Jeez, bitter much.

VVD would be joint first with Mark Wright for me, just ahead of Killer and Super Ken. Claus would have been on a par with Killer but for the 04/05 debacle but very good before that. Fonte for his overall contribution and leadership. Deano very good too, better than Fonte technically but not quite in his league as an organiser and leader.

Lovren good for a year but more mistakes than any of the above.

Dave Watson before my time but my family rated him very highly.

VVD is a brilliant defender however much it irks to say.

However I believe he has a big fault in respect his blind spot is the front post blind run. Against City whilst Lovren got the blame VVD was rooted to the spot inthe middle of the goal.