Saints 1 West Ham 2 - Post Match Reality Check

St Chalet

Flat, slow, uninspiring. Better team won and WH didn’t look close to breaking a sweat.

We were simply abysmal tonight all over the park. McCarthy, Targett and Valery nowhere near as good as people think they are.

No urgency, no passion, no creativity. Yet another (on paper) winnable home game and lead thrown away.

We’re going down, the squad is ****e.

I'm not going to pretend we didn't deserve to lose that, because WH were clearly the better team, but with the ref missing the rugby tackle on Bednarek right before their second goal, and Mccarthy being questionable for both of them, it's not unreasonable to suggest we might have got something out of it.

Two clinical finishes by a £40m attacker that's better than anything we've got.

Penalty shouts aside, I think we overextended ourselves on that corner. We have a habit the last couple years of conceding goals from our own corners, it's something the coaches need to address.

Beaten by the better side on the night

Anderson was good for them and Rice was excellent

We needed our wingbacks to be a threat, they were not and Valery was terrible

West Ham marked him out as the weak point in our defence, and going forward he just tried to copy Cedric, ( and in terms of his crossing, succeded ).

Pop. That's the New Manager Bounce done. Where next, City, Chelsea - could be looking at 3 straight losses after that lot.

Watched the first half - thought West Ham were better than us across the park. Only watched the last 15 minutes of the second half - was expecting the charge of the light brigade to get back into it. We didn't have a kick.

Overall, fair result on the balance of play, they always looked a slightly better side than us throughout the 2nd half, but I thought we matched them in the first. The foul on Bednarek that allowed the break for the winner sticks in the throat though, and the Carroll assault on Romeu.

Possibly, but to claim we were 'robbed' implies deliberate action by the officials.

And irrespective of whether it should have been a penalty we should be able to defend our goal from our own corner FFS. West Ham were by far the better side and our goal to go in front was fortunate and against the run of play. No complaints.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm not going to pretend we didn't deserve to lose that, because WH were clearly the better team, but with the ref missing the rugby tackle on Bednarek right before their second goal, and Mccarthy being questionable for both of them, it's not unreasonable to suggest we might have got something out of it.

I can't blame McCarthy for either goal, both well-taken. Agreed about the rugby tackle.

Credit to West Ham, they were fitter, stronger, tactically very good and in Rice and Anderson had the two best players on the pitch

We looked tired, Valery, Armstrong, Romeu and Redmond looked like the 3 games in 10 days with the higher tempo/pressing had caught up with them and Lemina was miles off it first half. Quite surprised Ralph didnt bring some others in today but understand why he didnt

Having said all that we still could have got something out of the game, Lemina should have scored and just didnt get any bounce of the ball

Thought the back 3 did well seeing how much pressure they seemed to be under

Flat, slow, uninspiring. Better team won and WH didn’t look close to breaking a sweat.

We were simply abysmal tonight all over the park. McCarthy, Targett and Valery nowhere near as good as people think they are.

No urgency, no passion, no creativity. Yet another (on paper) winnable home game and lead thrown away.

We’re going down, the squad is ****e.

Troll or f*cking moron? Which is it?

I thought we looked tired, and ran out of gas. We should have rotated more players, WHU played 5 or 6 new players. What sucks is now we will be tired again for City or we'll have to rotate some players for that one. You always want your strongest squad for City.

Thought Vestergaard did alright, but a few were poor today including Lemina, and we were 2nd best in the middle of the park all game.

Bringing on Shane was an odd gamble which didn't pay off.

Glad Redmond got another [handball?] goal, but too many times his tricks didn't come off today, and he ended up giving the ball away when trying to take on players.

It was like we just didn't click as a team today :(

So many individual errors,our passing is utter ****e.

Lemina is just terrible. Armstrong tried but he was carrying the rest of them.

The second goal for them was a clear penalty just prior.

The refereeing in general was diabolical.

We looked as though we reverted to type....slow and ponderous.

Loads of work to do for Ralph.

Major work to be done in the transfer window if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack of quality tonight really.. lemina's passing was absolutely woeful, Redmond back to hesitant self on majority of occasions..

Think the bright lights were Armstrong who used the ball very well all night and was the one that seemed to bring composure and calmness.. and also targetts delivery again looked good.. just a shame it was shayne long up front where most of his good deliverys came in.

Overall, fair result on the balance of play, they always looked a slightly better side than us throughout the 2nd half, but I thought we matched them in the first. The foul on Bednarek that allowed the break for the winner sticks in the throat though, and the Carroll assault on Romeu.

This. Forget balance of play, you play the breaks you get. There's a cast-iron penalty for us, which if given, makes it unlikely for them to score, hence 2-1. As for Carroll, f&*k me, if ever there was a case of a referee utterly bottling it on two occasions, that was it. Disgraceful lack of competence.

Thought Vestergaard was our best player, headers, blocks, interceptions and was generally good moving the ball forward.

Gave the ball away too much and again like Huddersfield we wasted good counter attack opportunities with poor final balls.

West Ham were neat and good on the ball, but we contained them for most of the game, few half chances to their striker but in the end what really costs us was bad refereeing.

More evidence of the need for VAR, that was Columbia vs Kane there, two hands all around him wrestling him to the ground, no eyes for the ball at all, blatant cheating and they get away with it and go and score the other end.

Plus Carroll should have been sent off, he smashes his arm into the face of Romeu within minutes of coming on, then tries to kick him in half a few minutes late, which could have even been a red card in itself and the he pulls one of our players back in a counter attack. Not one yellow for any of it.

I thought we looked tired, and ran out of gas. We should have rotated more players, WHU played 5 or 6 new players. What sucks is now we will be tired again for City or we'll have to rotate some players for that one. You always want your strongest squad for City.

Bearing mind what we've got, who would you have rotated? and how does this stack up against having a settled side?

Can't complain about the result - West Ham the better team for anybody with a vaguely objective perspective. We looked tired. Vestergard and Armstrong played well. Lemina had a shocker. Puzzled Ings was taken off so early. Anybody else think McCarthy's positioning on their first goal dodgy? The next couple of games will show just how much we need to strengthen the team in January.

Agree, although McCarthy had little chance with both goals. Carroll should have been sent off. We could have nicked a slightly lucky point, now were back in the mire.

Wham second XI deserved the win.

Hopefully the loss serves as a useful reality check. RH has improved us but he has ultimately inherited a squad short of genuine quality.

In the short term, we need PEH, Cedric and Bertrand back to solidify things. Romeu was good on the ball but easily overrun; Lemina was his usual undisciplined self and Valery looked out of his depth.

Longer term we are crying out for more pace and more creativity. Long cant be our first option off the bench when chasing the game.

Yes, we really missed PEH, especially in our play as we entered the final third - giveaway after giveaway.

Vestergaard played quite well, Bednarek was okay. Valery has some way to go before he's ready at this level, and Targett for Bertrand is a massive drop-down. Redmond was back to his headless worst.

But the thing that really got me tonight is this:

I fricking hate opposite-full back corners. Unless the delivery is excellent you're totally screwed, especially with three CDs up for the corner.

Get out of here. Easily our best defender tonight, maybe even our best player

Totally agree. Was assured. Rest of them looked like they played yesterday though. West Ham were excellent. God I hate Carroll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly, but to claim we were 'robbed' implies deliberate action by the officials.
I could see absolutely no way the ref could justify not giving firstly a card to Carroll for a deliberate kick to the ankle and a penalty to Saints for the right tackle on Bednarek.

Maybe not deliberate but close to it, and at least utterly incompetent. He was treating incidents in a way that was simply not consistent with the Laws.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't think Lemina was following Hasenhüttl's steps at all. Too much holding up of the ball and insecurities.

West ham saw this and obviously instructed Carroll to take out Romeu. (how Targett got a yellow and Carroll didnt for his swipe at Romeu is extremely questionable).

Thank goodness Hojbjerg is back at the weekend, and maybe its time to let Lemina go to Psg and get a player in the Schneiderlin mould back in.

Thought Vestergaard was pretty poor.
Vestergaard was excellent. He lost the ball once on twice, but saved us on several occasions.

Lemina, on the other hand, gave the ball away again and again. Redmond also lost the ball on occasions, but he was trying to be creative in dangerous areas, not taking risks in midfield.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk