Throw ins (and corners)

itchen

I mentioned this in the West Ham reaction thread but have started this to see if it's just me with this opinion. Our throw ins are awful. We very rarely take them quickly to gain an advantage and few players show themselves to help the thrower. The throw ins are ponderous and seem to give an advantage to the other team as we have no plan. Surely this is a basic drill that can be practised? There seems little point in competing to gain the throw in by kicking the ball off of an opponent only to give the ball back by messing up the throw in.

And, while I'm here, why do we never under any recent manager, leave a player up the field when we are defending a corner? Obviously it would leave us with one fewer defender but other teams do it. We need an "out" for when we gain possession or the ball just comes back after we've lumped it upfield.

We've always been rubbish at throw ins.

Also baffles me that we don't keep one up when defending corners, seems a no brainer to me

Two complaints I make so often that I even bore myself to death with the repetition!!

Such basics .... yet we virtually always lose possession from throw ins.

Haven't noticed if RaHa's approach to defending corners is to have everyone back. Leave someone like Redmond up with pace and very unlikely to win a header in the box anyway, this means the opposition have to leave at least 2 defenders back near the halfway line instead of on the edge of our box. I'm glad to see that he has ditched the rediculous zonal marking from dead balls though.