Is it time to give Angus Gunn a run in the PL

The Fat Controller

[emoji122]

Does my head in. This bloke is pummelled for 90 mins every game, with all the action he sees and all the cr4p he has in front of him it’s no surprise he’s a bit wobbly, if that.

He’s saved ya countless times but none of the weirdos on here (with the exception of a few with a brain) saw how lethargic some of our outfield players have been. No instead, they’d rather give McCarthy sh1t and push forward a GK no one has seen play but everyone is convinced is better.

Forster was never in question for 2-3 years on here until last year when everyone realises, finally, he was utter turd.

I swear alot of the people on here have never kicked a ball in their lives.
Im even more sure they haven't faced a talented footballer take a shot at them wit the new footballs that I used nowadays.

McCarthy is a decent keeper, I feel his worst mistake this season was against Brighton where he should have come and collected the cross when we had just gone 2 up. Big mistake that cost us.

As for Gunn, we haven't seen him face a PL attack in the league, a risk if heisnt as good as some make out. I don't think City would sell if he was that good

Im even more sure they haven't faced a talented footballer take a shot at them wit the new footballs that I used nowadays.

McCarthy is a decent keeper, I feel his worst mistake this season was against Brighton where he should have come and collected the cross when we had just gone 2 up. Big mistake that cost us.

As for Gunn, we haven't seen him face a PL attack in the league, a risk if heisnt as good as some make out. I don't think City would sell if he was that good

They didn't want to sell him. It was Gunn that wanted out. I'm sure we didn't sell him on the idea of sitting on our bench rather than City's. He needs to be starting games. Macca has done very well, but they could timeshare it so Ralph can see Gunn in matches not just training. If it becomes apparent that Gunn is not all that, then we will have seen it for ourselves.

He was actually MOTM yesterday keeping the score down by a fair few, FGS do not slate him for one mistake; mind you the real MOTM was that inept referee who completely altered the shift of the game with two terrible decisions. Roll on VAR but how will it work with a penalty claim denied and the ball still in play? Reviews like cricket?

This is awkward.

Absolutely. What happens now?? It might come down to the manager saying "listen guys - you're both great, so I am going to be a bit different from the norm and rotate you." But...that's a bit naive as goalies just don't get rotated. If Macca was replaced for this, then I can't see why you would get him back in seeing as Gunn kept a clean sheet.

Can I play devils avocado

Personally for a keeper today’s game would be less pressure than the relegation battles coming up. That’s the real acid test in my view.

I like Macca but I like Gunn, only one way to decide who I like the most.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off his line very quickly to snuff out danger something McCarthy doesn't do

Yes, totally agree: he comes off his line quickly, makes himself big and narrows the angles, making life much more difficult for opposition strikers. McCarthy is an OK goalkeeper but doesn't do those things anywhere near as well as Gunn did tonight. Whether Gunn will succumb to Watsonitis after a few months remains to be seen.

Can I play devils avocado

Personally for a keeper today’s game would be less pressure than the relegation battles coming up. That’s the real acid test in my view.

I like Macca but I like Gunn, only one way to decide who I like the most.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really are a mess!

My Norwich supporting mates reckon he was flawless last season, for a 21/22 year old in his first full season that is pretty good going. Harsh on McCarthy to be dropped but if Ralph thinks Gunn’s better then it’s the right call, it’s good to have a manager who has the nuts to trust his judgment and make tough descisions.

McCarthy must be off as he made a number of decent saves v Man City and has performed well since taking over from Forster

Feel Gunn will be OK for us though

Why must he be off? Why can't the manager have a look at another keeper, especially when he's highly rated? Where would ge go? McCarthy is decent, a massive step up from Forsters final games for us obviously but lets not over rate him because Forster was so bad. Decent keeper but remember he couldn't get in a Palace team before us. Can't see anyone being interested in him in the PL. Nobody desperately needs a keeper or a second choice keeper and if they did there is one at Burnley who'd be the first choice target.

To be honest we must have also said to Gunn when he signed him that he would get chances, I doubt a highly rated young keeper like that who had just had a great Championship season would have moved to be just a back up No.2

I reckon he was promised game time and that he'd be more challenging McCarthy for a place rather than just a standard back up.

My Norwich supporting mates reckon he was flawless last season, for a 21/22 year old in his first full season that is pretty good going. Harsh on McCarthy to be dropped but if Ralph thinks Gunn’s better then it’s the right call, it’s good to have a manager who has the nuts to trust his judgment and make tough descisions.

Interesting article about last night from a Norwich perspective.

Notice Ralph quoted that he wanted to give him 2 games.

http:// https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-legend-gunn-so-proud-of-premier-league-debut-for-angus-1-5838385

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17331617.southampton-goalkeeper-angus-gunn-hailed-by-ralph-hasenhuttl

"He is a very offensive defending goalkeeper and that is what I need against a team that is always playing the chipped balls behind the last line.

I was aware of them and we knew that they have good deep runs and this ball is very hard to defend for centre backs so we need a keeper who is on the jump and defending forward, and there were a lot of situations where he saved the ball."

Great to have a manager at long last that thinks outside the box rather than goes through the motions.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17331617.southampton-goalkeeper-angus-gunn-hailed-by-ralph-hasenhuttl

"He is a very offensive defending goalkeeper and that is what I need against a team that is always playing the chipped balls behind the last line.

I was aware of them and we knew that they have good deep runs and this ball is very hard to defend for centre backs so we need a keeper who is on the jump and defending forward, and there were a lot of situations where he saved the ball."

Great to have a manager at long last that thinks outside the box rather than goes through the motions.

Great to have a manager at long last that thinks.

Forster has been the best gk in training since RH arrived.

There's an interesting twist to this.

? Very interesting. Much greater chance of shifting McCarthy than Forster, and keeping both makes no sense. Lewis is a decent prospect also...hmmm.

It's not that weird. He's been an important part of the England set up at every level - and I think called into the senior squad as cover while at Norwich due to a late injury pull out. He's very highly rated and probably would've gone to the world cup if he'd been playing in the Premier League and not the championship.

It would've been weird for England to pick him ahead of McCarthy when he wasn't getting a game, but as and when he becomes our confirmed number one (quite possibly in the next few weeks), he'll be straight into the England squad, because A) he's got the potential to take the massively overrated Pickford's place, and B) Scotland want him, and it'd be a terrible waste for the FA to have invested in his development for all this time only to lose him because (for some reason) managerial fraud Aidy Boothroyd is seemingly freezing him out of the u21s. A bit of encouragement goes a long way.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Do feel a bit for Alex as he's not done anything explicitly wrong. But Gunn simply looks to me to be a better player.

Yup, though judging by RH's comments as to why Gunn was the right pick for Chelsea, I can't imagine there are many games where it isn't an advantage to have a nimble sweeper-keeper type helping out the back line. Sounds like they are building a (probably entirely valid) justification for switching him to being #1.