Is it time to give Angus Gunn a run in the PL

The Fat Controller

Whilst McCarthy has done well overall this season I don't think that his position should be considered guaranteed !

Why not try Gunn v his former club, Man City (we'll probably lose anyway) where he'll get loads of practice and gain valuable PL experience !

IMO, it's not a silly suggestion and might be better to let him have a go now rather than waiting for an injury to give him his opportunity !

Or maybe DaveWatsonitus? Surprised that disease hasn't been mentioned yet.

McCarthy does seem to be developing the same flaws that Forster did. He stays rooted to the line and doesn't come out to narrow the angle when facing shots. This makes the goal 'big' for the striker and much easier for him to score in the corners of it. When Dave Watson works with goalies in the pre-match warmups, I've noticed the same thing, which suggests he's coaching them to do that. Why would he coach them like that? Well, he might argue that it gives them a fraction of a second longer. But, narrowing the angle and making the goal small for the striker is the conventional wisdom that most goalies follow.

Also, like Forster, when facing the possibility of a shot, he doesn't stay on his toes, ready to dive in either direction but favours heavily stepping down on his left foot, perhaps because he is less confident diving to his left. This means if, as happened with Anderson's first goal, the shot is aimed low to his right, he's not going to get to it in time. The final flaw, and the worst one, is that when a shot is fired directly at him, he leans backwards in a 'limbo dancing' movement which enables the ball to pass over him as it did for Anderson's 2nd goal. I noticed that Forster used to do the same thing and it cost us several goals. It seems too much of a coincidence that they both developed this flaw independently. Why would anyone coach them to do that, you might ask? Well, I guess he thought it would give them a chance of saving the ball with their hands above their heads, rather than letting the ball hit them on the body. The problem is though that they are leaning back so far that they are already falling back over the goal line when they do it. Take another look at Anderson's 2nd goal and you'll see the shot was aimed right at his body. It was only that limbo dance movement that enabled it to go into the net.

Unlike many on here I don't think that Forster was always a poor goalkeeper. He deteriorated badly over time. Some say that was because of injuries, others that it was the influence of bad coaching. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start playing well again at another club with a different coach.

Its not sacrilegious, but it's bloody pointless considering how bad our cbs are.

Centre-backs had nothing to do with those two goals, the Huddersfield one is just poor goalkeeping, its a 30 yard shot straight down the middle. The 2nd is well hit and maybe someone should have got out quicker to him but it was obvious what he was going to do, the only angle for the shot is near post, too many bodies to bend it in far so IMO he should have done better.

End of the day if players are not top form then give someone else a go, we got into the situation last time because we didn't drop Forster and keep him on his toes when he started making a few errors.

McCarthy does seem to be developing the same flaws that Forster did. He stays rooted to the line and doesn't come out to narrow the angle when facing shots. This makes the goal 'big' for the striker and much easier for him to score in the corners of it. When Dave Watson works with goalies in the pre-match warmups, I've noticed the same thing, which suggests he's coaching them to do that. Why would he coach them like that? Well, he might argue that it gives them a fraction of a second longer. But, narrowing the angle and making the goal small for the striker is the conventional wisdom that most goalies follow.

Also, like Forster, when facing the possibility of a shot, he doesn't stay on his toes, ready to dive in either direction but favours heavily stepping down on his left foot, perhaps because he is less confident diving to his left. This means if, as happened with Anderson's first goal, the shot is aimed low to his right, he's not going to get to it in time. The final flaw, and the worst one, is that when a shot is fired directly at him, he leans backwards in a 'limbo dancing' movement which enables the ball to pass over him as it did for Anderson's 2nd goal. I noticed that Forster used to do the same thing and it cost us several goals. It seems too much of a coincidence that they both developed this flaw independently. Why would anyone coach them to do that, you might ask? Well, I guess he thought it would give them a chance of saving the ball with their hands above their heads, rather than letting the ball hit them on the body. The problem is though that they are leaning back so far that they are already falling back over the goal line when they do it. Take another look at Anderson's 2nd goal and you'll see the shot was aimed right at his body. It was only that limbo dance movement that enabled it to go into the net.

Unlike many on here I don't think that Forster was always a poor goalkeeper. He deteriorated badly over time. Some say that was because of injuries, others that it was the influence of bad coaching. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start playing well again at another club with a different coach.

This is pretty true and it’s worrying our coach will carrying on teaching these bad habits.

My Dad got it spot on yesterday by saying McCarthey has lost confidence in his defence and it causes a keeper to get nervous.

Forster certainly went this way too.

It's almost sacrilege to criticise McCarthy on here, purely because he is better then Forster. That's a pretty low standard from which to judge.

Hardly it just seems odd to be picking out the goalkeeper as a problem when we have so many other issues within the squad like full backs, CBs and strikers. Also this idea that Gunn is better isn't really borne out by many facts it's another one of those cases where a non-playing player is deemed to be better be virtue of not playing. If Ralph decides to play Gunn and he turns out to be better than McCarthy happy days. But I don't come away from games talking about the keeper costing us points these days, the way I did when Forster was our keeper, and I'd rather we got the outfield issues sorted first.

Watched the first West Ham goal few times, his positioning is correct. Just hit with such pace he can’t get too it. He will be disappointed, like all keepers are when they concede

That’s not what Ralf said in the pre-City press conference. He was surprisingly open about the keeper standing in the wrong position, causing to the goal.

Centre-backs had nothing to do with those two goals, the Huddersfield one is just poor goalkeeping, its a 30 yard shot straight down the middle.

You must have missed Bednarek jumping around like a fairy instead of blocking it.

Watch it again and then say the centre halves had nothing to do with it. Shocking defending. Poor goalkeeping (bit like Gunn’s attempts at getting near a Leicester penalty)

http:// https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmQF_8Ce_4

IMG_0595.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McCarthy has saved us more points than lost them.

Out of the issues we have in our squad, and there are numerous, the goalkeeping situation isn't one of them (unless you count giving Forster a five year deal...)

Probably true, but this is saintsweb so can we focus on the negatives please.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I’d much rather our defenders focused on blocking the shots rather than pussying out, then maybe our keepers wouldn’t have to worry. McCarthy has been brilliant for us, I feel calm with him between the sticks, unbelievable that people want him replaced.

I’d much rather our defenders focused on blocking the shots rather than pussying out, then maybe our keepers wouldn’t have to worry. McCarthy has been brilliant for us, I feel calm with him between the sticks, unbelievable that people want him replaced.

Agree with this. McCarthy has been awesome for us.

McCarthy kept us up last season, with crucial saves against Bournemouth and Swansea.

I agree there have been a couple of errors lately, but every goalkeeper is prone to them. I've not seen enough of Gunn to form an opinion to be honest, a lot of money for a number 2 though...

McCarthy kept us up last season, with crucial saves against Bournemouth and Swansea.

I agree there have been a couple of errors lately, but every goalkeeper is prone to them. I've not seen enough of Gunn to form an opinion to be honest, a lot of money for a number 2 though...

That's how I see it. When we signed McCarthy no fans would have though he would be our number 1 2 or 3 years later. He's an average keeper playing in a bellow average side.

He certainly helped to keep us up last season and has kept us in games this season - he made some cracking saves at Huddersfield. Yes he probably could have done better with a couple of the goals we have let in but then so should have the whole team.

However, I'm sure we didn't spend the money we did on Gunn to have him sitting on the bench for a few seasons - especially as we already had an adequate No 2 in Forster.

I haven't even seen his performances, what chances has he had so far?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

He's played in 3 league cup games, done ok and not let us down. Though as is typical now days all teams made changes and were arguably weaker then what would play in a league game.

It's almost sacrilege to criticise McCarthy on here, purely because he is better then Forster. That's a pretty low standard from which to judge.
I don't agree with the criticism because Alex has done little wrong since he took over and is a very good keeper.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This. I've noticed a tendency to stand still in the hope of blocking a shot rather than attacking the shooter and closing him down.

This. I've noticed a tendency to stand still in the hope of blocking a shot rather than attacking the shooter and closing him down.

You're right. McCarthy needs to learn to do that: move out, make himself big and narrow the angle for the shooter. Watch Schmeichel to see how a well-coached goalkeeper does it.

Watched the 2nd West ham goal again and indeed he is slow of his line and gives Anderson plenty of time, any of the top keepers wouldve read that move and been right out on top of Anderson

You're right. McCarthy needs to learn to do that: move out, make himself big and narrow the angle for the shooter. Watch Schmeichel to see how a well-coached goalkeeper does it.

Seemed to do ok then. Our fans are a mess sometimes. Rumours are he is off in Jan, so all your prays will be answered regarding Gunn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk