Saints 1-3 Man City - Post Match Thread

Batman

Just left the match. Disappointing but now disastrous, except for Hojbjerg's red. Is it his second this season? If so missed four and he's the driving force in the midfield.

McCarthy will no doubt get criticism from those running the witch Hunt, but he saved us at least three times. The third was the only one he might have done better with.

Stephens, Bednarek good. Targett struggled again. Ramsey decent debut. Hojbjerg outstanding until his brain fart. Romeu pretty solid, Lemina poor. Ward-Prowse had a great game. Should have had a penalty, don't blame him for the og - he did get a block in. Good deliveries.

Charlie did little. Missed a great chance and got stupidly booked.

Of the subs, Valery was poor but Redmond and Long improved things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How was Valery poor ? Yet Jwp had a great game !?

Losing to Man City is no surprise, will probably lose to Chelsea too. Ralph is on the right track though and by now he will be getting an idea of who he wants and who he wants to offload. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few German unknowns coming in.

The real work starts now.

Expect lots of movement in the transfer window. RH has had a good look at all the players now - which was partly what todays performance was about. Expect a very weak team at Derby next Saturday.

There are a number of players whose days at SMS are clearly numbered - Cedric, Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Gabbi, Davis, Forster. Thing is that RH will know about players in other leagues - bit like Koeman did when bringing in Pelle, Mane and Tadic for not much money.

Big problem is Lemina. There is a good played in there somewhere and he will have to play the next three games.

Think that we will survive - just.

Saints fans are embarrassing bunch of overactive wet tarts on here.....

We lose against City do you actually expect us to win?

As for attacking the manager at least give him a chance to work out what he has to work with and can actually adjust clearout...

As fans you are embarrassing I'm not surprised Austin have the crowd 2 fingers...

As for attacking the manager at least give him a chance to work out what he has to work with and can actually adjust clearout...

As fans you are embarrassing I'm not surprised Austin have the crowd 2 fingers...

I’m pretty certain that Austin’s 2 fingers was at the City fans that were booing him as he went off.

It's going to go to the wire with the battle against relegation. Too many jumping the gun after 2 wins on the bounce. Ralph is clearly a good manager with good ideas but he is still working with the same 5hit group of players as his predecessors. I believe he can keep us up but he can't work miracles.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It's going to go to the wire with the battle against relegation. Too many jumping the gun after 2 wins on the bounce. Ralph is clearly a good manager with good ideas but he is still working with the same 5hit group of players as his predecessors. I believe he can keep us up but he can't work miracles.

Yes.

The 6 match run after the Leicester game is key

Not sure I’ve seen more than one comment criticising the manager.

Ralph Hasenhüttl was left to rue the key moments in the match after seeing his side fall to a 3-1 defeat to Manchester City in the Premier League.

The reigning champions took the lead through David Silva, before a goal from Pierre-Emile Højbjerg levelled things up.

But two late goals in the first-half turned the contest and proved decisive before Højbjerg was dismissed late on for a challenge on Fernandinho.

“I think in the first 20 minutes Manchester City showed how strong they are. Their pressing was amazing but we showed character and our mentality in that period of the game,” Hasenhüttl began.

“Making it 1-1 showed exactly how we wanted to press them sometimes. We know that they are very, very good in possession but if you press in the right moment then you have a chance to win the ball early and score which is what we did.

“Then you could feel that Manchester City weren’t as strong mentally in that moment as they were at the beginning which gave us a chance to come back into the game.

“We gave it away in a very poor way and a very easy way. We have to talk about that because it was the same against West Ham.

“At the break we made the decision that we don’t go all in and take too much risk. We wanted to show in the second-half that we can defend and not to lose the second-half if you want.

“Then maybe you get a second goal and I think we have one header off a free-kick which could have given us a chance to come back.

“The substitutions I made were very focussed on the Chelsea game. The worst moment of the evening was the red card for Pierre because on 85 minutes the game was gone and it was silly, which he knows. It could cost us a lot.”

Well we are ****ed then as he will need to work a miracle to keep that pile of **** we currently have playing for us up.

Ralph Hasenhüttl was left to rue the key moments in the match after seeing his side fall to a 3-1 defeat to Manchester City in the Premier League.

The reigning champions took the lead through David Silva, before a goal from Pierre-Emile Højbjerg levelled things up.

But two late goals in the first-half turned the contest and proved decisive before Højbjerg was dismissed late on for a challenge on Fernandinho.

“I think in the first 20 minutes Manchester City showed how strong they are. Their pressing was amazing but we showed character and our mentality in that period of the game,” Hasenhüttl began.

“Making it 1-1 showed exactly how we wanted to press them sometimes. We know that they are very, very good in possession but if you press in the right moment then you have a chance to win the ball early and score which is what we did.

“Then you could feel that Manchester City weren’t as strong mentally in that moment as they were at the beginning which gave us a chance to come back into the game.

“We gave it away in a very poor way and a very easy way. We have to talk about that because it was the same against West Ham.

“At the break we made the decision that we don’t go all in and take too much risk. We wanted to show in the second-half that we can defend and not to lose the second-half if you want.

“Then maybe you get a second goal and I think we have one header off a free-kick which could have given us a chance to come back.

“The substitutions I made were very focussed on the Chelsea game. The worst moment of the evening was the red card for Pierre because on 85 minutes the game was gone and it was silly, which he knows. It could cost us a lot.”

Well done the Manager today. The guys were busted against West Ham and many needed a rest. He has a very poor squad to pick from, however he is working very hard to do the best he can with this bunch of players.

Well we are ****ed then as he will need to work a miracle to keep that pile of **** we currently have playing for us up.
I get where you are coming from but we are at least scoring some goals, unlike in large periods last and the start of this season. The squad is bloated with players with no pace of physique. Athletic teams with midfields like West Ham and Watford will survive as they overpower teams like us. Ralph is testing young players for their speed and the enthusiasm of youth, as the bulk of the squad is so onepaced.

I think we will be Ok but we have to up our game soon when the slightly easier games come around.

As was pointed out before on here on other threads Swansea did well for a period and looked safe last season but then fell off the cliff, we mustn't do the same.

This weekend has been demoralising due to the results of other clubs

Let's be honest we were never likely to win that anyway and also there have been some odd results all round over this period, players get knackered, there are too many games and with the way he is trying to play, plus with the little time he has had to implement the style and get fitness up we were never going to be 100% throughout all the games.

I think the manager has shown enough, that with his preferred team there, a little more luck from refereeing (pens turned down at crucial times today and against West Ham) and maybe 2 players in Jan, plus Bertrand back we will win more games than we will lose.

I think anyone who expected us to beat probably a £1billion team is slightly mad.

These are not the games to be judged on.

To put a bit of perspective on how awful things were before the manager change. Hughes had 3 wins in 22 PL games. If he only wins 1 of the next 17 games he equals that **** record. I am pretty sure we will win more than 1 of our next 17 games.

How was Valery poor ? Yet Jwp had a great game !?
Valery was out of position on several occasions and gave the ball away more than once.

Ward-Prowse did little wrong. Far more positive than he has been, good run to get the non-penalty (which certainly should have been given, like the one on Sterling. Two wrongs don't make a right) and whilst he was at RB was stronger than either Valery or Ramsey.

But I do understand that it's a golden rule that JWP always has to be bad.

Pretty dull, was like watching a training match for most of it.

Once we have cleared out the dead wood and got a few players in that fit the new style we'll be a pretty good team. Will take a while though, maybe as long as next season.

Thing is, we seem to be perpetually clearing players out and getting new players in. Results don't seem to get any much better though. We spent what, about 80 million last summer, 100 million if you factor in Ings. Are we any better than this time last year? It's doubtful really. Puel got better results with lesser players.

Let's be honest we were never likely to win that anyway and also there have been some odd results all round over this period, players get knackered, there are too many games and with the way he is trying to play, plus with the little time he has had to implement the style and get fitness up we were never going to be 100% throughout all the games.

I think the manager has shown enough, that with his preferred team there, a little more luck from refereeing (pens turned down at crucial times today and against West Ham) and maybe 2 players in Jan, plus Bertrand back we will win more games than we will lose.

Be nice if we got a win that wasn't expected every now and again...or even once a season.

Thing is, we seem to be perpetually clearing players out and getting new players in. Results don't seem to get any much better though. We spent what, about 80 million last summer, 100 million if you factor in Ings. Are we any better than this time last year? It's doubtful really. Puel got better results with lesser players.

Probably why Les was given the boot?

Be nice if we got a win that wasn't expected every now and again...or even once a season.
Arsenal? Unbelievably we are still outside the relegation zone. We could easily stay up this season. Games like this and the next one won't be the reason we do, it will be the ones against Palace, Newcastle, Fulham, Cardiff etc.

Are you saying we were expected to beat them? Then who just turned over spurs and had been unbeaten for about 20 games?

Really?

It wasn't unexpected, as explained they had a midfielder and full back playing centreback - they have struggled since also due to the same issue. Not rocket science.

we will agree to disagree, if you think that result was as unexpected lets say as Palace beating Citeh 3-2 on their patch, or Wolves beating Spurs 3-1 on their patch then fair enough. I'll say no more on the subject.

With the form we were in yes , yes that result compares ,

If the manager gave some of those players a chance to show what they can do they blew it. None of the ones that came in added anything despite some trying to big JWP up.

I think giving Ramsay his debut in this game was a mistake. Play him against Derby by all means but not today. Cedric should of played. He’s on the wage bill, he’s fit, he plays regardless of whether he goes in two weeks or whatever.

Stephens - lovely passer of the ball but is not and never will be a centre back. Holding midfielder maybe, emergency right back possibly but cannot head the ball, has no awareness of where his man is when trying to mark someone. Hopeless.

it's a big ask....We are on 15 points with 18 matches left.

the good thing is something like 34 points might be enough to stay up this season.

the BIG Question : is 5 wins, 4 draws and 9 losses realistic the rest of the way? (seems daunting)

Valery was out of position on several occasions and gave the ball away more than once.

Ward-Prowse did little wrong. Far more positive than he has been, good run to get the non-penalty (which certainly should have been given, like the one on Sterling. Two wrongs don't make a right) and whilst he was at RB was stronger than either Valery or Ramsey.

But I do understand that it's a golden rule that JWP always has to be bad.

You must have been to a different game to the one I was at. He looked slow and weak so the game largely passed him by and every one of his free-kicks and corners went straight to a Man City player except for one corner right at the end which amazingly found Shane Long's head. I suppose you could say that at long last he showed he knows where the back of the net is even if it was at the wrong end. When he plays, we surrender control of midfield: simple as that. He might make an average Championship player but at this level he is a liability.

I'm really looking forward to Ralph clearing our some of the dead wood we have accumulated and strategically strengthening our squad in January.