Saints 1-3 Man City - Post Match Thread

Batman

lol you have been doing it for weeks on the Redmond thread

if showing stats is trolling or saying JWP is creative is also trolling then :mcinnes: don't know what to say to you. you contributed nothing to the topic, it was just a very very poor attempt to troll from you, now cause you know your comment also looks out of place in an other wise really good forum topic, you knew you ruined it by trying to troll, just hurt I didn't bite.

In every department.

On and off the pitch.

The players are a disgrace.....this manager,no better than Puel,Pellegrino and Hughes.

If you thought the tied had turned with the new manager appointment....you were wrong.

So many players need to be shipped out.

Don’t make excuses that we played City....we showed nothing but bad positioning,poor decision making,**** distribution.

Lemina...

Moi...

Hoedt...

Should be first out the door.

The list goes on.

We need every point,if a player can’t dig deep and give his all then **** off.

******** to the busy Xmas period...they are pampered enough to recover.

Not even the fans could raise themselves.

It’s like a sodding morgue in st Marys.

Big business needs to be done in January....will it get backed by the owners?

Sorry,but I’m passionate and fecking angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worst attempt at trolling I've seen for a while. 2/10

Well if that's the criteria I guess we've seen lots of good games this season...

Against the champions? yes, I mean Liverpool just handed Spurs a really good hiding and they are favs for the title like City and Liverpool, so yes, just losing by 2 goals is not bad and a decent Performance against a team that has just lost two shocking games and had some thing to prove to keep the title alive. Yes, was you expecting us to win?

if showing stats is trolling or saying JWP is creative is also trolling then :mcinnes: don't know what to say to you. you contributed nothing to the topic, it was just a very very poor attempt to troll from you, now cause you know your comment also looks out of place in an other wise really good forum topic, you knew you ruined it by trying to troll, just hurt I didn't bite.
you've got me there lol.

Well then Dave Merrington is an idiot who obviously wasn't watching the Cardiff game.
or the Chelsea home game where we didnt put in a tackle for 35 mins.

Merrington is losing it a bit after West Ham he said we should have gone 4 4 2 and taken off a defender...he must have missed Yoshida going off!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There’s something wrong with some of you on here. ****ing unbelievable comments, I can’t believe some of you actually believe the pony you write. ****ing clueless. We were playing the champions with a squad of world class players. Us, we had the youngest side we’ve fielded for 5 years. We ended with Valery, Ramsey, Bednerak, Stephens, Targett, all young men learning their trade, playing against internationals. Every single player bar one, gave their all, and the one got hooked at half time. That’s a breath of fresh air as far as I’m concerned. Did anyone seriously think we’d beat city, I didn’t. At 3-1 down, it could have got embarrassing. But the players dug in and fought for the team, so people should lay off the criticism. FFS what’s it going to be like when we lose to Chelsea. Watching Saints has been pretty soul destroying lately, that’s changed since Ralph arrived. But we’re not going to win every game for God’s sake.

That said PEH needs a ****ing good kick up the arse for that sending off. Completely unprofessional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

Still had a decent day out, and it was good to see another young academy product with pace on the field. Confident we'll survive this season and already looking forward to a Hasenhuttl team next August after a full pre-season.

There’s something wrong with some of you on here. ****ing unbelievable comments, I can’t believe some of you actually believe the pony you write. ****ing clueless. We were playing the champions with a squad of world class players. Us, we had the youngest side we’ve fielded for 5 years. We ended with Valery, Ramsey, Bednerak, Stephens, Targett, all young men learning their trade, playing against internationals. Every single player bar one, gave their all, and the one got hooked at half time. That’s a breath of fresh air as far as I’m concerned. Did anyone seriously think we’d beat city, I didn’t. At 3-1 down, it could have got embarrassing. But the players dug in and fought for the team, so people should lay off the criticism. FFS what’s it going to be like when we lose to Chelsea. Watching Saints has been pretty soul destroying lately, that’s changed since Ralph arrived. But we’re not going to win every game for God’s sake.

That said PEH needs a ****ing good kick up the arse for that sending off. Completely unprofessional.

Good positive reaction, refreshing to hear. I agree there are good signs even though it was an emphatic defeat.

Against the champions? yes, I mean Liverpool just handed Spurs a really good hiding and they are favs for the title like City and Liverpool, so yes, just losing by 2 goals is not bad and a decent Performance against a team that has just lost two shocking games and had some thing to prove to keep the title alive. Yes, was you expecting us to win?

Nope, even less so once I saw the team sheet, but I would never ever consider saints losing a good game...

Spot on. A much more competitive performance than against any of the big sides pre-Ralph. Two sloppy goals before half time killed us but we tried and we had a game plan. These aren’t the games that will keep us up or send us down, but it was good to see a few fringe players.

Bizarre that you seem to have missed the blocks he got in at critical moments?

His free kicks and corners weren't "straight at City players". They were consistently put into good areas but were well defended.

But I suspect you could write your review of his performance before the match, and probably do.

I'd rather have him than Lemina at present.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wasn't at the game but did watch it on a big screen TV and I'm pleased that my impression is the same as yours, some people see what they want to see and criticize just for the sake of it.

Really?

You didn't think the EFL cup final was a good game?

No we lost and had a perfectly good goal ruled out to boot what's good about that? I can appreciate we can play well and lose (though today certainly doesn't fall into that category) but for a game to be good for me we have to win it (or possibly score a late equaliser to not lose).

ROTFLMAO @ people thinking big Dave Merrington is an astute tactician, manager or football brain.

I find him entertaining, but you don't have to look at his record, just listen to him for God's sake!

"...what we don't want to do here..... is concede a goal."

".... the only way we can win this game.....is by scoring."

and so on ad nauseum.

In other news I actually think we weren't that bad today. After seeing very little of the ball for 20 minutes we got back into the game with an excellent goal from PEH and looked like scoring again for 10 minutes before a poor decision and a fluke triple ricochet goal undid us.

Then with the 3rd goal it looked like we were going to get thrashed 2nd half, but surprisingly held it together and had a good spell for 10 minutes where I though we might score again.

Decent debut for Ramsay, and I too was proud to see 5 academy lads on the pitch. I'll admit I was less than thrilled to see Shane come on, and Elyanoussi was poor throughout IMO, as was Lemina. RH said in the preview that he's not fully fit - a stomach problem.

Hopefully this has helped Ralf decide who stays and who we look to sell.

Worst thing is PEH's moment of madness - we're really going to miss him :(

I wasn't at the game but did watch it on a big screen TV and I'm pleased that my impression is the same as yours, some people see what they want to see and criticize just for the sake of it.

I also thought JWP had a good game, he reads the game well so seemed to be filling in at RB quite often when we were caught out. He's not got any outstanding attributes that are going to make his standout other than arguably set pieces, but for me he is never a weakness on the pitch. The criticism he gets on here often seems to be a 'told you he was crap' type thing whereas I still maintain we are quite often better when he plays.

I would have settled for a 2-goal defeat TBH. The PL has come to this, the lesser teams playing at half strength when a result seems very unlikely anyway. Little wonder the league is so lop sided. In reality had City wanted to, it could have been 5 or 6. The lads tried hard but knew they were beat before they stepped onto the pitch, and the last 25 minutes were a demoralising embarrassment to the PL (20% possession in the 2nd half). I'm not even annoyed by the performance or the result, it was entirely predictable. Hoj needs a serious look at himself though, the game was lost, City were taking the p***, just keep yourself free from injury and don't get carded, entirely irresponsible from our captain and best player, and we have no suitable replacements. We have 3 very tough games next and will struggle without him.

I’ve been impressed with Hasenhuttl, and don’t like to be negative, but I’m afraid I’m still struggling to get my head around the fact that we seemingly conceded a Premier League fixture before a ball was even kicked.

Yes, some of our players looked knackered against West Ham; yes, Ralph needs to learn the capabilities of his entire squad; yes, Man City are one of the best teams in Europe and we would have been up against it whatever team we put out ... BUT, this was a City team that had lost three of their last four games and were under real pressure to win today; we, on the other hand, were not expected to get any sort of a result, so could treat the match as a ‘free hit’; so I’m bemused as to why we didn’t start our strongest eleven and just go for it.

To my mind resting players would be slightly more understandable and acceptable if our next match was against one of our relegation rivals.

I suppose, at the end of the day, the fact that we approached the match in what to me was a disappointingly negative fashion speaks volumes to how far we’ve fallen (and teams like Man City have risen) in the past few years.

I thought from my poor angle that Kompany's challenge looked reckless and thus a red card. Was that the case? I don't think I have ever come across a player that makes so many fouls and bad tackles ad gets away with so few cards. He is a very articulate nice fella and refs seem to judge him on that rather than individual fouls. Having said that, the ref was very lenient when choosing to ignore Hoj volleying Sterling five feet in the air in the first half.

I'm surprised at how many people on here were satisfied by so many of our player performances. It could easily have been 6 or 7 today. How they didn't score from their first attack I will never know.

McArthy made some excellent saves to keep the scoreline respectable, the one with his head was especially good, but he perhaps could have done better with the second and third.

Ramsey looked a bit slow to me. Is he a centre back in the U23s? I know Ralf needed to rotate, but why on earth did he select Ramsey, who lacked pace, to mark Sterling/Sane? In the second half he did absolutely nothing except mark space. Him and Valery were like synchronised right backs, mirroring each others movements, yet between them they still couldn't stop Sterling. We effectively played with 10 men. That was mostly down to the formation. I am not sure what he could have done other than move out to Silva a bit more, but that would have left space behind him. I found that incredibly frustrating in the second half. We didn't give it a go, we just sat deep and filled space. As against West Ham the wing backs sat back and didn't push on which crippled us.

Valery - he isn't lightning quick either. Ive said this for years that pace is essential at fullback. Are there any top class fullbacks that are not quick? Most seem to be former wingers that are incredibly comfortable on the ball. By and large I have liked what I have seen with him, but he was rubbish today. Completely done by Sterling who he hacked from behind for a stick on pen.

Bednarek is also too slow for this level. Can't fault his commitment and he made some tackles and blocks, as you would expect really, but his lack of pace is an issue and has a knock on effect. I was concerned he would be exposed in a four man defence, but we changed it quite early to a five. I really don't rate him, but maybe I need to cut him a bit more slack...not sure why.

Stephens did OK, but his ability on the ball catches the eye and thats never been in question. I'd pick him over Bednarek.

Targett - when your fullback is being beaten in the air by Mahrez the time has come to look for a replacement. He is as slow and weak as he was before he went to Fulham. Great first touch...but not good enough at this level. We need winners and he isn't one.

Hoj looked like the only Saints player physically strong enough to dominate an opponent. He seems to get better every time I see him. Shame he lost his head. That is very bad news for us.

Romeu - Did OK, but we certainly didn't control the midfield area. I was surprised he was subbed so early as he looked like he still had the legs, but maybe was being rested.

Lemina - sorry but you have got to win those block tackles or a least show the commitment needed of a relegation threaten side. Fans won't accept a flimsy attempt to win the ball. A below par display not helped by looking totally lost on the left hand side of a three man midfield, but much better on the right when we moved to five at the back. The game seemed to go on around him but when give the chance to make a mark he tackled with the outside of his boot.

Elyounoussi - contrary to forum opinion I thought he had quite a good game. He ran down some blind alleys, but there was often very few passing options. He retained possession quite well and I actually thought his sharpness and desire was the spark for our first half resurgence. In the second half he did little I suppose, but 8 men so deep the front three had no chance or doing much.

Austin - what a great chance fluffed in the first half. He wanted to control it and shoot both on his right foot. That gave him no room for error and the chance was lost. Not sure I understand why he started ahead of Long. He doesn't lead the line well. He does hold the ball up and bring players in. He's a goal hanger, no more no less that should come on for the last 20 minutes if we need a goal.

Redmond was totally infective when he came on, but as I mentioned, we gave up any thoughts of getting back into the game when reverting to a flat five at the back.

Long did his best but had very little opportunity

Edited by Chez

I’ve been impressed with Hasenhuttl, and don’t like to be negative, but I’m afraid I’m still struggling to get my head around the fact that we seemingly conceded a Premier League fixture before a ball was even kicked.

Yes, some of our players looked knackered against West Ham; yes, Ralph needs to learn the capabilities of his entire squad; yes, Man City are one of the best teams in Europe and we would have been up against it whatever team we put out ... BUT, this was a City team that had lost three of their last four games and were under real pressure to win today; we, on the other hand, were not expected to get any sort of a result, so could treat the match as a ‘free hit’; so I’m bemused as to why we didn’t start our strongest eleven and just go for it.

To my mind resting players would be slightly more understandable and acceptable if our next match was against one of our relegation rivals.

I suppose, at the end of the day, the fact that we approached the match in what to me was a disappointingly negative fashion speaks volumes to how far we’ve fallen (and teams like Man City have risen) in the past few years.

I could not agree more. Not quite as weak line up as the Arsenal cup game, but similar lack of any attacking notion in the second half. A flat back five with fullbacks that didn't press at all was a complete surrender.

After Ralph's first four proper games (not wanting to count Cardiff as he had 2 days with players) we have the amount of points (6) we could have realistically hoped for. Didnt expect anything from City or Arsenal but thought we could beat Huddersfield and WHU. It's worked out slightly differently. Chelsea will be difficult to get anything from but its the run of games after which will matter. Still think we will comfortably stay up. The more time Ralph has to implement his ideas and bring in players to suit his system, then the better we will become. A bit of patience and perspective needed.

100% agree. I always want to see our strongest possible team go out and try and win a game. Otherwise I don’t really see the point. Having said that I believe we have a bright future with RH at the helm and actually look forward to going to games again.

You make it sound like an FA Cup tie where a first or second division team draw one of the big boys at home ! **** me, three years ago we were beating Man City and Liverpool. If you console yourself with that logic then great, knock yourself out. How have you rationalised the West Ham game out of interest ?

Dave Merrington said he thought it was the worst performance of the season and if we carry on like that we will be relegated.

So Merrington or Duckhunter ? Umm, tough one, which one knows more about football ?

You do realise how much football has moved on in the last 3 years don't you? E.g 3 years ago ihanacho started for city...

The gulf between the top 6 and the rest has never been wider.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

On the plus side Ralph has got a third of our wins in 2018 in just 5 games!

I still think that if he keeps us up he will have done an excellent job those thinking of mid table after a couple of wins need to get real.

We are light years behind the top sides and even if we are on a par with the rest we are starting from a position behind nearly all of them. Losing at home to Man City won't send us down, it will be the games against Burnley, Huddersfield, palace, Fulham etc that will decide that.

In every department.

On and off the pitch.

The players are a disgrace.....this manager,no better than Puel,Pellegrino and Hughes.

If you thought the tied had turned with the new manager appointment....you were wrong.

So many players need to be shipped out.

Don’t make excuses that we played City....we showed nothing but bad positioning,poor decision making,**** distribution.

Lemina...

Moi...

Hoedt...

Should be first out the door.

The list goes on.

We need every point,if a player can’t dig deep and give his all then **** off.

******** to the busy Xmas period...they are pampered enough to recover.

Not even the fans could raise themselves.

It’s like a sodding morgue in st Marys.

Big business needs to be done in January....will it get backed by the owners?

Sorry,but I’m passionate and fecking angry.

Like your passion mate and some very honest assesments that has gotten some feathers ruffled on (only a few should have a thought) forum.

I thought from my poor angle that Kompany's challenge looked reckless and thus a red card. Was that the case? I don't think I have ever come across a player that makes so many fouls and bad tackles ad gets away with so few cards. He is a very articulate nice fella and refs seem to judge him on that rather than individual fouls. Having said that, the ref was very lenient when choosing to ignore Hoj volleying Sterling five feet in the air in the first half.

I'm surprised at how many people on here were satisfied by so many of our player performances. It could easily have been 6 or 7 today. How they didn't score from their first attack I will never know.

McArthy made some excellent saves to keep the scoreline respectable, the one with his head was especially good, but he perhaps could have done better with the second and third.

Ramsey looked a bit slow to me. Is he a centre back in the U23s? I know Ralf needed to rotate, but why on earth did he select Ramsey, who lacked pace, to mark Sterling/Sane? In the second half he did absolutely nothing except mark space. Him and Valery were like synchronised right backs, mirroring each others movements, yet between them they still couldn't stop Sterling. We effectively played with 10 men. That was mostly down to the formation. I am not sure what he could have done other than move out to Silva a bit more, but that would have left space behind him. I found that incredibly frustrating in the second half. We didn't give it a go, we just sat deep and filled space. As against West Ham the wing backs sat back and didn't push on which crippled us.

Valery - he isn't lightning quick either. Ive said this for years that pace is essential at fullback. Are there any top class fullbacks that are not quick? Most seem to be former wingers that are incredibly comfortable on the ball. By and large I have liked what I have seen with him, but he was rubbish today. Completely done by Sterling who he hacked from behind for a stick on pen.

Bednarek is also too slow for this level. Can't fault his commitment and he made some tackles and blocks, as you would expect really, but his lack of pace is an issue and has a knock on effect. I was concerned he would be exposed in a four man defence, but we changed it quite early to a five. I really don't rate him, but maybe I need to cut him a bit more slack...not sure why.

Stephens did OK, but his ability on the ball catches the eye and thats never been in question. I'd pick him over Bednarek.

Targett - when your fullback is being beaten in the air by Mahrez the time has come to look for a replacement. He is as slow and weak as he was before he went to Fulham. Great first touch...but not good enough at this level. We need winners and he isn't one.

Hoj looked like the only Saints player physically strong enough to dominate an opponent. He seems to get better every time I see him. Shame he lost his head. That is very bad news for us.

Romeu - Did OK, but we certainly didn't control the midfield area. I was surprised he was subbed so early as he looked like he still had the legs, but maybe was being rested.

Lemina - sorry but you have got to win those block tackles or a least show the commitment needed of a relegation threaten side. Fans won't accept a flimsy attempt to win the ball. A below par display not helped by looking totally lost on the left hand side of a three man midfield, but much better on the right when we moved to five at the back. The game seemed to go on around him but when give the chance to make a mark he tackled with the outside of his boot.

Elyounoussi - contrary to forum opinion I thought he had quite a good game. He ran down some blind alleys, but there was often very few passing options. He retained possession quite well and I actually thought his sharpness and desire was the spark for our first half resurgence. In the second half he did little I suppose, but 8 men so deep the front three had no chance or doing much.

Austin - what a great chance fluffed in the first half. He wanted to control it and shoot both on his right foot. That gave him no room for error and the chance was lost. Not sure I understand why he started ahead of Long. He doesn't lead the line well. He does hold the ball up and bring players in. He's a goal hanger, no more no less that should come on for the last 20 minutes if we need a goal.

Redmond was totally infective when he came on, but as I mentioned, we gave up any thoughts of getting back into the game when reverting to a flat five at the back.

Long did his best but had very little opportunity

Very good summary, although if I need a defender I'm having Bednarek over Stephens any day.

I agree in particular about the wing backs being far too deep. The team selection in the first place looked like a white flag but when we took off Romeu for Valery you knew we had given up.

If we get something at Chelsea then it'll be justified I guess but, frankly, I'm not expecting much from the next three games. The run of games after Leicester away will be critical.

a6814250f0a86ded3ce813a2c1d8dedf.jpg

Was a pen.

MOTD thought so too.

Unfortunately, St Mary's is a walk in the park for visiting teams, away fans and refs. Too polite, too quiet and other than a couple of small pockets of fans tucked up in the corners not the type of crowd to intimidate and sway decisions. Sad but away fans (particularly with the big clubs) rule at SMS.

As an aside, I'm stuck with a trainload of City supporters on my way home. At least they're civilised, and not Man U.

Anyway, their consensus was that, although we were outplayed we had more of a tactical plan than plenty of other teams, keeping shape and only pressing at the right time. After we scored they were worried because we started to show confidence. Feeling on the penalty was 50/50 but they'd have expected to get it. Although the ref evened it up with the Sterling one.

Hugely relieved that they got the lucky own goal. Surprised that they thought Hojbjerg was hard done by with the red. They don't like Austin but we agreed on his capabilities, or lack of them.

Their outside view was that they've played several worse teams than us and we shouldn't go down.

But it's not about how well we play in losing to a good team, it's about beating the rubbish.

Interesting perspective. Thanks

Bizarre that you seem to have missed the blocks he got in at critical moments?

His free kicks and corners weren't "straight at City players". They were consistently put into good areas but were well defended.

But I suspect you could write your review of his performance before the match, and probably do.

I'd rather have him than Lemina at present.

Agree with this. JWP isn't the greatest player in the league but, for some reason, he gets a lot of unfair stick on here. His passes generally go to a Saints player, unlike those of Lemina.

Unfortunately, St Mary's is a walk in the park for visiting teams, away fans and refs. Too polite, too quiet and other than a couple of small pockets of fans tucked up in the corners not the type of crowd to intimidate and sway decisions. Sad but away fans (particularly with the big clubs) rule at SMS.

How do you explain the blatant penalty for them that wasn’t given?

Not helped by the pathetic decision to have no stewards/police in most of the away end, £20 tickets, bigger allocations then we have to give and their prime location behind a goal always attacked towards second half.

not the most intimidating of grounds, thats for sure, but to be fair the whole stadium stood up and bayed for a penalty.

One thing that did **** me off was the cynical pretence of head injury by the citeh player in the first half when we had that one spell of pressure. The delay allowed Citeh to regain their composure and reorganise and stole our momentum of course the city player was fine to play on after that with no ill effects.

One thing that did **** me off was the cynical pretence of head injury by the citeh player in the first half when we had that one spell of pressure. The delay allowed Citeh to regain their composure and reorganise and stole our momentum of course the city player was fine to play on after that with no ill effects.

Had the ref done the correct thing and make him go to the side of the pitch not treated on it - there wouldnt have been the extra added on time for them to score...when things go against you they really do.

not the most intimidating of grounds, thats for sure, but to be fair the whole stadium stood up and bayed for a penalty.

Not where it mattered they didn't as there were City fans directly behind that goal at the Northam end. If Saints fans had been there, they might well have made the ref's mind up for him, the way that the City fans did for Hojbjerg's red card.

You do realise how much football has moved on in the last 3 years don't you? E.g 3 years ago ihanacho started for city...

Yet Leicester/Puel beat City/Chelsea. We beat Arsenal and Wolves beat Spurs. All in the last few weeks.

Ihanacho was never a regular starter for them.

On the plus side Ralph has got a third of our wins in 2018 in just 5 games!

I still think that if he keeps us up he will have done an excellent job those thinking of mid table after a couple of wins need to get real.

We are light years behind the top sides and even if we are on a par with the rest we are starting from a position behind nearly all of them. Losing at home to Man City won't send us down, it will be the games against Burnley, Huddersfield, palace, Fulham etc that will decide that.

Yes indeed. Getting 1 point total from the Burnley, Fulham and Cardiff matches is a big reason we're on the precipice. Even if all 3 had just been draws we'd be 4 points better off with the last 2, and 2 better off with Burnley.

Are you suggesting that the blood emanating from Bernardo Silva's right eyebrow was not real? Thought fake blood capsules was an egg chaser problem. Injury looked pretty real, indeed suggestion was he would need a stitch or two, though that didn't seem to happen. Being a head injury ref had no option but to stop the game, but he should have dealt with the situation better, he could have got Silva off the pitch for treatment once he had ascertained that there was no danger, and that would probably have meant City wouldn't have had time for the 3rd goal, but don't think you can claim that one was cynical on City's part (several other things were).

I just hope that Hasenhüttl's team selection had more to do with giving all his squad a run out before the transfer window as part of a structured evaluation process rather than an expression of ego and authority over players by yet another manager with crackpot ideas about how to run a football team.

What was on offer on Sunday was an insult to all long suffering fans who turn up in the hope of at least seeing our best team giving it's all in the hope that they might steal something from one of the big boys.

Simply appalling.