Saints 1-3 Man City - Post Match Thread

Batman

A bit of rationality wouldn't go amiss. RH has been in post for weeks and has to undo and rebuild the shambles the club has been for the last 3-4 years of p*ss-poor managerial appointments, ineptitude beyond belief in the transfer market and almost total disconnect between club and fanbase. This will take time, investment and support. As fans, we can provide one, allow for one and hope for the third. Personally, I feel 100% more optimistic now than in a long time that we have the right manager to start the rebuild process. We had six points and six goals in two games, misfired against WHU and were playing one of the best teams in Europe today with the same squad as before, plus 4 players from our Academy starting. At 1-1, if the ref had the bottle to give the penalty, it could've been a different game. The mess we're in is not going to be undone overnight.

While PEH was reckless with that tackle, the fact that Fernandinho got straight up to have a go shows a couple of things. One, he was not injured and two, the bloke is a hypocrite as of course he has never done that to anyone has he? Don't dish it out if you can't take it back. Think we all know that if he had made that tackle, it would not have been a red.

Similar to the Ward Prowse penalty incident which was far more of a penalty than any of the ones Salah got on Boxing Day and also yesterday (plus the one Lovren conned the ref into giving too). The premier league is fixed and hugely in favour of the big clubs with the officials scared of the likes of Guardiola and Klopp. The Sterling one was a penalty too but if that had been 1-1, that would have been given too. The most positive thing is that our goal difference did not take a hammering, something City may look back and regret at the end of the season when they strolled around the last twenty minutes.

I’m just saying that we basically threw the game, which is certainly how they will see it. They were in second gear, which was all they needed.

But Liverpool were in neutral yesterday, still won by a shedload though. Guardiola will have to solve his left back problem sharpish or the Scousers will take them apart down that side.

Ralph has an incredibly tough job ahead. I disagree with people who say our squad is too good to go down. Burnley just beat a team that comprehensively outplayed us in the week. Staying up this season will be a major, major achievement.

Well beaten but I'm not overly disappointed.

I was much more down after WHU because it was always incredibly unlikely we'd get points against City & Chelsea.

Also don't think it's possible to get a full hustling & bustling performance with so little recovery time.

Valery - Ramsay - Stephens - Bednarek - Targett is a brave defence from Ralph!

It's not ralphs fault that les reed has been recruiting dross for years. We're stuck with shyt players until further notice. Once ralph gets his own players in to fit the system he wants to play then we are going to be bang average. He needs at least 3 windows to sort this shower out so don't blame him for today.

Don’t think he’s wrong much.

If this was a Hughes performance the reaction to this post would be different. We were embarrassingly atrocious.

At least RH has bombed out hoedt and he took lemina off, who couldn’t have given two ****s today - like my dad had been saying for ages.

That was like a training match for city... irrespective of how good they are, being bossed so convincingly on your own turf is sacrilege. We’re about two components away from being the next Villa or Sunderland.

This manager obviously has something about him so needs to be backed, get him the players he wants, ship out the passengers and put some Fukkin pride back into this football club.

Positive - Ramsey wasn't hopeless.

Negative - almost everyone else was

Hoj is the biggest downer on a hugely downer weekend for us. At least he had desire though, even if it was ill judged. Ref wasn't great for us, true, but we're still so loose and floppy, all over the park. Need a big, quality CB who can organise us, and a strong CF who can take the pressure off Ings. Bleak.

Agreed. For me the only hope is that we can offload a number of players in January and get some good replacements in, but that is a big ask.
We need a rb, cb and some pace. We may be able to last without a striker if ings stays fit. I was hoping for cahill but it seems his wages will be too high.

Huge overreaction. Ralph has shown plenty of positives - and has won 2 out of 4 games. Plenty has changed in his short time here, and when he move out of this busy Christmas period and he has time to work with the squad, I think we will improve even further. Surviving is the aim for this season, we're not in a position to look beyond that. The biggest concern for me is a trend that we've seen under Hughes and has now continued - we seems to always concede after going ahead. I'm not sure if it's a mentality issue, or a tactical one. But it happened against West Ham, happened again today and happened countless times under the previous manager. Is that where we are lacking leaders?

In every department.

On and off the pitch.

The players are a disgrace.....this manager,no better than Puel,Pellegrino and Hughes.

If you thought the tied had turned with the new manager appointment....you were wrong.

So many players need to be shipped out.

Don’t make excuses that we played City....we showed nothing but bad positioning,poor decision making,**** distribution.

Lemina...

Moi...

Hoedt...

Should be first out the door.

The list goes on.

We need every point,if a player can’t dig deep and give his all then **** off.

******** to the busy Xmas period...they are pampered enough to recover.

Not even the fans could raise themselves.

It’s like a sodding morgue in st Marys.

Big business needs to be done in January....will it get backed by the owners?

Sorry,but I’m passionate and fecking angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are without doubt, and have been for many years, the biggest knee jerk reaction clown on this entire forum. Get a grip

A game we thought we would lose, that we deserved to lose, but a game where, with slightly better players, we could have made it a lot tougher for them.

The positives:

- We could have lost by more but fought hard

- Bednarek was good

- Watching David Silva

The negatives:

- Ramsay shouldn't have played, he is nowhere near PL ready. Barely played a smooth short pass.

- Elyounoussi shocking - will never make it in the PL.

- Austin - a waste of time

- Targett - poor as usual

- JWP - can't run

The Abysmal:

- Hojbjerg's utter stupidity. Jesus wept.

The Manager:

- Needs a settled defence

- Needs Bertrand

When you are down where we are we need a little luck sometimes. Today we had none. Why wasn't Kompany sent off for his atrocious tackle? JWP would have been granted the pen had he been playing for anyone else. Deflected goal yet again. McCarthy should have collected their third it was just a catch. All in all I am not too despondent. RH may just have time to keep us up with a clear out next month.

We basically conceded that match at half time. Idiocy from Hojbjerg. You're not as good as you think you are, pal.

I don’t know how good you think he thinks he is(?) but I bet he’s pretty much the first name on Ralph’s teamsheet. Yes it was stupid but there’s plenty of more worthy players you could vent your anger on.

Edited by Greenridge

I don’t know how good you think he thinks he his(?) but I bet he’s pretty much the first name on Ralph’s teamsheet. Yes it was stupid but there’s plenty of more worthy players you could vent your anger on.

Well, he won't be on the team sheet for the next three games, will he?

I'm not going to waste my energy being angry at people for being ****. I am angry when our captain gets a stupid, self-inflicted red card though.

Today again shows how unfit we are. The fitness levels at this club are terrible and that's going to take time to turn around.

This. I said at the end of the match thread I don't think it's a coincidence Arsenal & Cardiff wins came after a solid week of training.

I don't get the doom and gloom concerning other results this weekend. The final positions will not be determined by this weekend's results. If we are good enough we will go and get the points we need in the rest of the season. If we aren't we will get relegated. The set of results this weekend has a minimal bearing on the final table. No point in exaggerating the effect.

Gotta say whilst I like Ralph as much as the next man his team selections and subs were dodgy to say the least

We are ending up with way too many headless chickens on the pitch with zero intelligence. Obvious choices to change the game would have been to get ings and Armstrong on.. but instead we get another two headless chickens on with valery and long.

Elyounoussi is far far worse then boufal..and doesn't make any successfull dribbles

How long gets anywhere near the pitch is a joke.

Redmond looks back to his old self last two games.

Long and elyounoussi shouldn't even be looked at as attacking options if you ask me.. how these two get on the pitch before ings gabbi and Armstrong is borderline retarded bar resting players

Just left the match. Disappointing but now disastrous, except for Hojbjerg's red. Is it his second this season? If so missed four and he's the driving force in the midfield.

McCarthy will no doubt get criticism from those running the witch Hunt, but he saved us at least three times. The third was the only one he might have done better with.

Stephens, Bednarek good. Targett struggled again. Ramsey decent debut. Hojbjerg outstanding until his brain fart. Romeu pretty solid, Lemina poor. Ward-Prowse had a great game. Should have had a penalty, don't blame him for the og - he did get a block in. Good deliveries.

Charlie did little. Missed a great chance and got stupidly booked.

Of the subs, Valery was poor but Redmond and Long improved things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just left the match. Disappointing but now disastrous, except for Hojbjerg's red. Is it his second this season? If so missed four and he's the driving force in the midfield.

McCarthy will no doubt get criticism from those running the witch Hunt, but he saved us at least three times. The third was the only one he might have done better with.

Stephens, Bednarek good. Targett struggled again. Ramsey decent debut. Hojbjerg outstanding until his brain fart. Romeu pretty solid, Lemina poor. Ward-Prowse had a great game. Should have had a penalty, don't blame him for the og - he did get a block in. Good deliveries.

Charlie did little. Missed a great chance and got stupidly booked.

Of the subs, Valery was poor but Redmond and Long improved things.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good summary