Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 149

Thread: Chelsea vs SAINTS: Build Up Thread

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Costa del Bassett
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    A midfield two of JWP and Romeu would get massively overrun - both extremely one paced.

    I hope Lemina is fit to play - he is much better than the two above and this will be a tough game where you need your best players.
    He had a stinker on Sunday. He needs someone in the team to grab him by the balls and tell him to get his bloody finger out and put in decent effort��

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Back in full training on Monday hopefully
    Good news. Sounds like we have the manager who will take a chance on him - really hope he can take it.

  3. Default

    If Raiph thinks JWP is suddenly going to be harder and more aggressive then he hasn't watched him play enough - it is not going to happen.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blackfield, Southampton
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintant View Post
    If Raiph thinks JWP is suddenly going to be harder and more aggressive then he hasn't watched him play enough - it is not going to happen.
    Did you watch the game on Sunday mate? JWP was very good and added a bit more steel to his game.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,501

    Default

    JWP overcompensates for his lack of physical strength by being rash in key moments and dangerous areas. Not what we want at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Good to see another manager seeing something in JWP and giving him a chance. For me he played his best football for us under Poch's pressing game. I hope he takes the chance to prove the Forum experts wrong.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    2-0 defeat
    just hope that fulham lose at arsenal, Burnley lose at huddersfield and spurs do over cardiff

    horrible run of games complete
    So far, so good..

    but big picture, a draw for Burnley/Huddersfield is the better result, IMO.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On the frontline in Locks Heath
    Posts
    6,705

    Default

    JWP much better Sunday...put in a worldly crunching tackle on Aguero on the edge of our box.

    Unfortunately even with our best players available, we’ll not be getting anything from this game. 3-0 to the home team.

    Desperately need some magic done in the transfer window.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintant View Post
    If Raiph thinks JWP is suddenly going to be harder and more aggressive then he hasn't watched him play enough - it is not going to happen.
    It's already happening. You obviously didn't see his performance on Sunday.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broadwindsor, Dorset
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    RH has seen what is missing in JWP's game as we all have. Let us hope this is taken onboard.

  11. #61

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    It's already happening. You obviously didn't see his performance on Sunday.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Some only see what they want to see but you are right he played well Sunday

  12. #62

    Default

    So what will RH do tonight?
    Try for a point or save some players for a decent cup run starting Saturday?

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    So what will RH do tonight?
    Try for a point or save some players for a decent cup run starting Saturday?
    At this point all focus has to be on survival, then look to build and potentially go for a cup next season.

    Not sure weíll win either games anyway, tbh.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    RH has seen what is missing in JWP's game as we all have. Let us hope this is taken onboard.
    Easy to see what is missing.

    Difficult to fundamentally change the physical and mental makeup of a player.

    JWP will always have a good right peg. He will never be strong, quick, ruthless, aggressive.

  15. #65

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Brighton
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Very possible we end up in the bottom three by end of play today but won't be panicking just yet. I can't see us not being busy in January, no doubt Ralph will want a couple of his own players in so that gives me cause for optimism.

    Would like us to get back to full strength for tonight, some of the players got a rest for the City game so it would be nice to get some points where we're not expected to.

    McCarthy
    Bednarek Vestegaard Yoshida
    Valery Romeu Lemina Targett
    Redmond Armstrong
    Ings

  16. #66

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Some only see what they want to see but you are right he played well Sunday
    I'm not sure anyone played that well on Sunday plenty of players worked hard but that's not the same thing as playing well.

  17. #67

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-cris View Post
    Very possible we end up in the bottom three by end of play today but won't be panicking just yet. I can't see us not being busy in January, no doubt Ralph will want a couple of his own players in so that gives me cause for optimism.

    Would like us to get back to full strength for tonight, some of the players got a rest for the City game so it would be nice to get some points where we're not expected to.

    McCarthy
    Bednarek Vestegaard Yoshida
    Valery Romeu Lemina Targett
    Redmond Armstrong
    Ings
    Not that we have much option, with current injuries and player issues, but that formation would work so much better with some proper pacey wingbacks.

  18. #68

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I'm not sure anyone played that well on Sunday plenty of players worked hard but that's not the same thing as playing well.
    Fair point

  19. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Brighton
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Not that we have much option, with current injuries and player issues, but that formation would work so much better with some proper pacey wingbacks.
    Completely agree, throw in a better CB, a new RB and Bertrand back, and suddenly we look miles better.

  20. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    6,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Easy to see what is missing.

    Difficult to fundamentally change the physical and mental makeup of a player.

    JWP will always have a good right peg. He will never be strong, quick, ruthless, aggressive.
    Three of those four things can be worked on with training and coaching, the only one that can't is speed. But plenty of players have managed to make a good career for themselves despite a lack of pace.

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-cris View Post
    Very possible we end up in the bottom three by end of play today but won't be panicking just yet. I can't see us not being busy in January, no doubt Ralph will want a couple of his own players in so that gives me cause for optimism.

    Would like us to get back to full strength for tonight, some of the players got a rest for the City game so it would be nice to get some points where we're not expected to.

    McCarthy
    Bednarek Vestegaard Yoshida
    Valery Romeu JWP Targett
    Redmond Armstrong
    Ings


    Changed it for you to what Ralph has said will be the starting line up.

  22. #72

    Default

    =Shroppie;2696702]It's already happening. You obviously didn't see his performance on Sunday.

    Glad to see Ralph giving Prowsey Wowsey a chance for once. £10 on Chelsea, money for nothing.
    Come on Ralph play him more often cos I know Saints don't win when Prowsey plays and I can make a few bob.
    He was really good against Citeh, only 214 shiiite appearances previous. If Ralph can polish this turd then hats off.

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    Three of those four things can be worked on with training and coaching, the only one that can't is speed. But plenty of players have managed to make a good career for themselves despite a lack of pace.
    Only things u need in football is dribbling skills and running Bexy, passing, ball control, reading the game, positioning and so on and so on, you know the other million things a good footballer needs to do, yeah all that stuff, Don't matter, Even Refs and linesman / Lineswomen need to run and dribble like Messi.



    Heard MLT got dropped for his lack of effort in running, Then heard Dennis bergkamp got his legendary status removed cause he couldn't run like Bolt, even heard Elon musk is making rocket boots for slow football players. heard here at Saints web.
    Last edited by Mosin; 02-01-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: auto save delete half my post.....

  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry12 View Post
    =Shroppie;2696702]It's already happening. You obviously didn't see his performance on Sunday.

    Glad to see Ralph giving Prowsey Wowsey a chance for once. £10 on Chelsea, money for nothing.
    Come on Ralph play him more often cos I know Saints don't win when Prowsey plays and I can make a few bob.
    He was really good against Citeh, only 214 shiiite appearances previous. If Ralph can polish this turd then hats off.
    in your own opinion, amazing how every one of you was licking Ralphs but when he first joined going on abut clean slates to every player blah blah blah blah.... now cause JWP starts again for the 2nd game in a row ( Cause Lemina has played like dog poop for weeks..... ), your crying...……… God dam bunch of hypocrites the lot of you.

  25. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Only things u need in football is dribbling skills and running Bexy, passing, ball control, reading the game, positioning and so on and so on, you know the other million things a good footballer needs to do, yeah all that stuff, Don't matter, Even Refs and linesman / Lineswomen need to run and dribble like Messi.



    Heard MLT got dropped for his lack of effort in running, Then heard Dennis bergkamp got his legendary status removed cause he couldn't run like Bolt, even heard Elon musk is making rocket boots for slow football players. heard here at Saints web.
    Are you comparing JWP to MLT and Bergkamp

    The reality is the game has changed significantly since those 2 played in the PL, to play as a wide midfielder (which seems to be his position) you need to have the ability to beat a man and a turn of pace (especially in the way RH sets us up). Also, JWP doesnít have half the ball control or creativity or vision of those 2 (or to play as an attacking midfielder/second striker), what they lacked in pace, they made up with other attributes.


    JWP, to date, has been a below average footballer struggling to break into an average team. If given the chance, itís a massive game for him tonight. I hope he does well, but if heís playing CM as a 2 we will struggle.

  26. #76

    Default

    Always thought Stevens might be half decent at centre mid...

  27. #77

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Love and Light.
    Posts
    5,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Only things u need in football is dribbling skills and running Bexy, passing, ball control, reading the game, positioning and so on and so on, you know the other million things a good footballer needs to do, yeah all that stuff, Don't matter, Even Refs and linesman / Lineswomen need to run and dribble like Messi.



    Heard MLT got dropped for his lack of effort in running, Then heard Dennis bergkamp got his legendary status removed cause he couldn't run like Bolt, even heard Elon musk is making rocket boots for slow football players. heard here at Saints web.
    Behave yourself. If you have the technical ability of players like MLT and Bergkamp you don't need to "run". Like Pirlo and others.

    JWP has about 1% the ability of the above players.

  28. #78

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sponsored by Heisenberg
    Posts
    21,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Always thought Stevens might be half decent at centre mid...
    Who?

  29. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Are you comparing JWP to MLT and Bergkamp

    The reality is the game has changed significantly since those 2 played in the PL, to play as a wide midfielder (which seems to be his position) you need to have the ability to beat a man and a turn of pace (especially in the way RH sets us up). Also, JWP doesn’t have half the ball control or creativity or vision of those 2 (or to play as an attacking midfielder/second striker), what they lacked in pace, they made up with other attributes.


    JWP, to date, has been a below average footballer struggling to break into an average team. If given the chance, it’s a massive game for him tonight. I hope he does well, but if he’s playing CM as a 2 we will struggle.

    In no part of my post did I declare JWP is as good as those names...… .

    Stop reading things I never typed.

  30. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Who?
    Jack Stephens. Defends for us from time to time...

  31. #81

    Default

    Actually, just looking at the squads outside of Man City/Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, there is some horrific **** at all the clubs below them. JWP would be a respectable signing for anyone outside top 6.

    Also, commentators were raving about him against City, reckoned he covered more of the pitch than anyone else, said his work rate was amazing, and also best dead ball delivery in the league. There must be something in that we could utilise.

    he also had by far the most touches of the ball of any saints player (56) against city, and the below was less than one year ago;

    https://www.premierleague.com/news/617908

    give him games...

  32. #82

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Love and Light.
    Posts
    5,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashnats View Post
    Actually, just looking at the squads outside of Man City/Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, there is some horrific **** at all the clubs below them. JWP would be a respectable signing for anyone outside top 6.

    Also, commentators were raving about him against City, reckoned he covered more of the pitch than anyone else, said his work rate was amazing, and also best dead ball delivery in the league. There must be something in that we could utilise.

    he also had by far the most touches of the ball of any saints player (56) against city, and the below was less than one year ago;

    https://www.premierleague.com/news/617908

    give him games...
    He doesn't have the best dead ball delivery in the Premier League, myth. He is average and only starting cos Hojberg is insane, he wouldn't be anywhere near starting XI if Hoj, Lemina and Armstrong are fit.

    Hopefully he can prove me wrong, about the 100th time of asking.

  33. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Who?
    What a pointless post. Surely you have enough intelligence to figure out a simple typo, no? Or shall we assume your IQ needs watering?

  34. Default

    Best dead ball delivery in the league......lol, Iíve ****ing heard it all now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  35. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Best dead ball delivery in the league......lol, I’ve ****ing heard it all now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Probably top of hitting the first defender statistics.

  36. #86

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Love and Light.
    Posts
    5,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Probably top of hitting the first defender statistics.
    He has the best stats for "Dangerous Ball in no one was reading"

  37. #87

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Waterlooville
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashnats View Post
    Actually, just looking at the squads outside of Man City/Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs, there is some horrific **** at all the clubs below them. JWP would be a respectable signing for anyone outside top 6.

    Also, commentators were raving about him against City, reckoned he covered more of the pitch than anyone else, said his work rate was amazing, and also best dead ball delivery in the league. There must be something in that we could utilise.

    he also had by far the most touches of the ball of any saints player (56) against city, and the below was less than one year ago;

    https://www.premierleague.com/news/617908

    give him games...
    It’s not how many touches that’s key.. it’s what he does with them, which is very little. He is simply does not have enough positive attributes to nail down a position in any premier league team.
    If he plays tonight, let’s hope he proves the doubters wrong.

  38. #88

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northam / Poletrix
    Posts
    869

    Default

    If we'd signed JWP for 15-20m a couple of years ago with exactly the same impact as he's had in that time, I'm pretty sure most if not all of those who are saying he can still do a job, would be saying he's Shiite and get rid ASAP.

    Amazing what difference to supporter bias, being an academy graduate can make. There's a reason he's not been a regular under a string of successive managers, and that's that he's not very good.

  39. #89

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Love and Light.
    Posts
    5,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Lej View Post
    If we'd signed JWP for 15-20m a couple of years ago with exactly the same impact as he's had in that time, I'm pretty sure most if not all of those who are saying he can still do a job, would be saying he's Shiite and get rid ASAP.

    Amazing what difference to supporter bias, being an academy graduate can make. There's a reason he's not been a regular under a string of successive managers, and that's that he's not very good.
    Look at Jordy Clasie

  40. #90

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    26,566

    Default

    be good if he scored from a free kick or we score directly from one of his corners/deliveries

  41. #91

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Love and Light.
    Posts
    5,705

    Default

    Kante vs JWP. Only one winner here.

  42. #92

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    RH has seen what is missing in JWP's game as we all have. Let us hope this is taken onboard.
    Difficult when everything is missing from Ploddy Prowse's game 'though.

  43. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Behave yourself. If you have the technical ability of players like MLT and Bergkamp you don't need to "run". Like Pirlo and others.

    JWP has about 1% the ability of the above players.
    Lol this

  44. #94

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints4Prem View Post
    Good to see another manager seeing something in JWP and giving him a chance. For me he played his best football for us under Poch's pressing game. I hope he takes the chance to prove the Forum experts wrong.
    What he sees is that Hojbjerg is suspended, Lemina isn't fit and Davis is over the hill.

    That's what he sees in JWP.

  45. #95

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Lej View Post
    If we'd signed JWP for 15-20m a couple of years ago with exactly the same impact as he's had in that time, I'm pretty sure most if not all of those who are saying he can still do a job, would be saying he's Shiite and get rid ASAP.

    Amazing what difference to supporter bias, being an academy graduate can make. There's a reason he's not been a regular under a string of successive managers, and that's that he's not very good.
    Absolutely.

  46. #96

    Default

    See this game as a learning opportunity - get this and the FA Cup game out of the way and it feels like the season starts then.

    A bit of a shame as I think any team that can defend half decent could stifle Chelsea and threaten to get away with something, but clearly that team (in terms of defending properly) is not us right now.

  47. #97

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,501

    Default

    Any chance he'll throw Hesketh into the squad tonight? Back from Burton Albion loan, as is Jake Flannigan.

  48. #98

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    6,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Any chance he'll throw Hesketh into the squad tonight? Back from Burton Albion loan, as is Jake Flannigan.
    Doubtful, I imagine. I'm pretty certain he is still recovering from a hamstring injury.

  49. Default

    Chelsea 3-0 is 8/1.


  50. Default


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •