Chelsea vs SAINTS: Build Up Thread

nta786

Sorry if this is posted quickly, but maybe if I start a thread we might win :rolleyes:

Also, with games coming thick and fast, no time to dwell really, just move on.

No PEH, stupidity from him at the end to compound in essence, the worst weekend possible results wise.

Honestly, I now no longer know what goes through Ralph's mind, but I'd bring back Vestegaard, and play 3 at the back again.

McCarthy

Bednarek Vestegaard Yoshida

Valery Romeu Lemina Targett

Redmond Armstrong

Ings

having said that, I can't be so sure of fitness for players like Bednarek or Romeu, but I feel Ralph is of the mindset that any players who have no future and will be shipped out do not even seem to make his bench, but with PEH absent maybe Steven Davis should start if one of Romeu/Lemina are not able to.

but alas, it's the games against those around us and in the bottom half that will really decide our fate, not free hits like these.

my prediction? 2-0 to Chelsea- rogue goalscorer choices in Willian and probably Barkley!

Edited by nta786
Giroud injured!

Sorry if this is posted quickly, but maybe if I start a thread we might win :rolleyes:

No PEH, stupidity from him at the end to compound in essence, the worst weekend possible results wise.

Honestly, I now no longer know what goes through Ralph's mind, but I'd bring back Vestegaard to combat Giroud, as simple as that tactic might sound.

McCarthy

Redmond Armstrong

Ings

having said that, I can't be so sure of fitness for players like Bednarek or Romeu, but I feel Ralph is of the mindset that any players who have no future and will be shipped out do not even seem to make his bench, but with PEH absent maybe Steven Davis should start if one of Romeu/Lemina are not able to.

but alas, it's the games against those around us and in the bottom half that will really decide our fate, not free hits like these.

my prediction? 2-0 to Chelsea- rogue goalscorer choices in Willian and Giroud.

Giroud is injured.........

Another training match. No doubt we'll do ok but give the ball away too much and concede two or three really poor goals. Clearing the deadwood and bringing in fresh blood cannot come soon enough. I wish we'll spend too much time trying to con teams into taking our **** players that we won't get a chance to bring anyone decent in.

I think the cut-off for 5 bookings was the end of the WHU game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The FA site is ambiguous, but think its after 31 December, not 19 games. Don'think the site would say one away for 4 if the cut off had already passed. Suggest Bednarek won't be available for Chelsea, shame as he had a decent game today.

The FA site is ambiguous, but think its after 31 December, not 19 games. Don'think the site would say one away for 4 if the cut off had already passed. Suggest Bednarek won't be available for Chelsea, shame as he had a decent game today.
In the example in the footnote, it says clearly that if a PL player gets a fifth caution in the 20th game, they are not suspended.

Unfortunately we seem to get teams when they are bouncing back or have their top players returning. I expected a 'full court press' for Chelsea away...low expectations so let our strongest team have a free run at it - thought we'd be good for a draw hitting them on the break and playing with intensity. With PEH out (stupid lah) I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I now no longer know what goes through Ralph's mind, but I'd bring back Vestegaard, and play 3 at the back again.

McCarthy

Redmond Armstrong

Ings

my prediction? 2-0 to Chelsea- rogue goalscorer choices in Willian and probably Barkley!

‘No longer know what goes through Ralph’s mind’

You had it nailed then after 3 games but his 4th team selection has scuppered your thinking?

Just being honest not trying to slag of Ralph, but freezing out Cedric gabbi and possibly bertrand is weakening the team in the short term. It's all good giving youngsters a chance if they are good enough but valery looks completely out of his depth to me nowhere near the level the likes of shaw and chambers were at when they started playing full back. I have no problem with obafemi on the other hand. If we are gonna go for pace might as well use him as long is pretty much guaranteed not to score. Still winds me up gabbi not getting game time over him and Austin even if he's not in the plans and is going to be sold I don't agree with this decision

Just being honest not trying to slag of Ralph, but freezing out Cedric gabbi and possibly bertrand is weakening the team in the short term. It's all good giving youngsters a chance if they are good enough but valery looks completely out of his depth to me nowhere near the level the likes of shaw and chambers were at when they started playing full back. I have no problem with obafemi on the other hand. If we are gonna go for pace might as well use him as long is pretty much guaranteed not to score. Still winds me up gabbi not getting game time over him and Austin even if he's not in the plans and is going to be sold I don't agree with this decision

Time will tell. Ralph isn't the first manager to come into the PL and try to turn everything arse over tit, results have been variable.

Why do you assume its Ralph freezing them out, more likely they didn't buy into the plans and have moves lined up so have frozen themselves out. Bertrand is still recovering from injury, nevertheless my understanding is that he is on his way as well, but could be wrong. Really wouldn't be surprised to see one or two early moves once the window opens, both directions, to make places available in the squad, e.g. Barnes.

Cedric has been poor most of the season & if he's not interested in buying into Ralph's approach it's quite right he's frozen out. Valery has looked good in a number of the games he has played even if he poorer in others.

Neither has Gabbi done much to deserve more chances. He's been living off his first few games for us for far too long now.

Bertrand is recovering from an operation.

Wonder if Marcus Barnes might be involved, as he can be added to the premier league squad on 1st January, especially if Austin is suspended or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 20 clubs agreed a while ago that anyone registered between now and 3 January can't play in these round of fixtures.

We all could see attitude of the players wasn’t right.

Ralph is addressing this and have reliably heard the players love him even though he is mentally strict.

Shame that Cedric isn’t on board though. Similarly Gabbi. But it is the mentality of these sort of players that got us in this position so good on Ralph.

Transfer door has now ‘swung’ open so would be god to think he had a couple of affordable FBs who would slot nicely into his way of playing.

New Year's Day and the optimism has gone, lose tomorrow and we are back in the bottom three. Three worse teams than ours? I don't think so, Huddersfield maybe but we are no better than the shambles at Fulham & Cardiff and nowhere near Burnley, Newcastle or Brighton. Everton here next, hold onto your hats another drubbing is on the way.

We all could see attitude of the players wasn’t right.

Ralph is addressing this and have reliably heard the players love him even though he is mentally strict.

Shame that Cedric isn’t on board though. Similarly Gabbi. But it is the mentality of these sort of players that got us in this position so good on Ralph.

Transfer door has now ‘swung’ open so would be god to think he had a couple of affordable FBs who would slot nicely into his way of playing.

Ralph must stick to his guns regardless.

In the long term it is what the squad needs. We have been complacent for to long.

Cedric has been poor most of the season & if he's not interested in buying into Ralph's approach it's quite right he's frozen out. Valery has looked good in a number of the games he has played even if he poorer in others.

Neither has Gabbi done much to deserve more chances. He's been living off his first few games for us for far too long now.

Bertrand is recovering from an operation.

I think one of the issues is the last two games we have far to many players that when they receive the ball the move just breaks down.. the likes of long, elyounoussi valery. We need some quality to go with the pressing and hard work else we are just giving the ball away all the time

Targett a doubt for tomorrow fortunately. I think I read somewhere Ramsay can play either side so may be he will play LB and Valery RB. Cedric played left back v Utd and did ok so if he doesn't come in at LB that will confirm he is off I think. I can see Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek starting. Valery and Ramsay as wing backs. Romeu and Lemina in CM. Armstrong, Redmond and Ings. Hopefully Obafemi makes bench as his pace against weary defenders late on could help.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Targett a doubt for tomorrow fortunately. I think I read somewhere Ramsay can play either side so may be he will play LB and Valery RB. Cedric played left back v Utd and did ok so if he doesn't come in at LB that will confirm he is off I think. I can see Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek starting. Valery and Ramsay as wing backs. Romeu and Lemina in CM. Armstrong, Redmond and Ings. Hopefully Obafemi makes bench as his pace against weary defenders late on could help.

I would rather see any random player than Lemina, he has had a few chances and been poor every game, no improvement at all, rather have a 50 / 50 chance of a good performance than a 5 / 10 % chances of a good game from Leminam probs get a better performance from forster playing cm than Lemina.

isn't Bednarek suspended ? Sounded that this was the case on 5Live.

Jonathan Moss on the Whistle for this one - so miles behind play - assisting Chelsea on the 50/50s, unless we are running the show and his bias switches (when we played Arsenal Boxing Day few years back, Arsenal got every decision at the start then as we got in front and in control the 50/50s became ours - seen him do that in other games too).

Mike Dean will be delighted to have been given Huddersfield v Burnley

I think one of the issues is the last two games we have far to many players that when they receive the ball the move just breaks down.. the likes of long, elyounoussi valery. We need some quality to go with the pressing and hard work else we are just giving the ball away all the time

The problem is though that we have not enough support for the man on the ball. This is the main reason we continue to lose procession. The likes of City crowd round the ball when out of pocession and also in procession too.

This game feels like a waste of time really, strong Chelsea side will pick apart our error prone defence , especially when we're playing under 18s and players out of position.

The honeymoon period is over for Hassenhuttl, will be interesting to see who comes in if we offload Gabbiadini and Cedric early in the window

JWP starting tomorrow in place of Hoj, same formation, Redmond / Ings and Armstrong back in line up, Maya and Vest starting too if I read the interview on Sky sports correct.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11595202/southampton-manager-ralph-hasenhuttl-sets-challenge-for-james-ward-prowse

Agree with this. Better option than Lemina at present.

A midfield two of JWP and Romeu would get massively overrun - both extremely one paced.

I hope Lemina is fit to play - he is much better than the two above and this will be a tough game where you need your best players.

A midfield two of JWP and Romeu would get massively overrun - both extremely one paced.

I hope Lemina is fit to play - he is much better than the two above and this will be a tough game where you need your best players.

You either didn’t see Sunday’s game or watched with your eyes closed. He was subbed at half time because he was bloody awful and half @R$ed with it. And in that regard your statement falls flat on its face.

Both JWP and Romeu put in far more effective performances.