Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

I dunno if he's worth persevering with to be honest. It's got a smell of Gaston all over it ''Give him a full pre-season'' ''Will be good to see what manger x can get out of him'' etc.

Ralph has a good eye for players not up for it - Cedric, Hoedt, Gabbiadini, Lemina.

Could get some decent ££ in the summer for him, maybe we should just take it.

I dunno if he's worth persevering with to be honest. It's got a smell of Gaston all over it ''Give him a full pre-season'' ''Will be good to see what manger x can get out of him'' etc.

Ralph has a good eye for players not up for it - Cedric, Hoedt, Gabbiadini, Lemina.

Could get some decent ££ in the summer for him, maybe we should just take it.

Would we get much for him though? Yes he has 3 years left but not playing this year is going to dent his price tag a bit

Would we get much for him though? Yes he has 3 years left but not playing this year is going to dent his price tag a bit

He seems to have an imaginative agent as he gets linked with Man City & PSG every summer, so I'm sure he will try again.

Ralph Hasenhüttl has revealed Mario Lemina has made “a big step forward” in his recovery from injury and could be involved as Southampton face three games in eight days.

First up is the long journey to Newcastle on Saturday, where Saints would leapfrog their hosts with victory, followed by a midweek trip to FA Cup finalists Watford, before returning home to St Mary’s against Bournemouth.

The boss is grateful to have the Gabonese midfielder so close to fitness as the season nears its climax, with his team still needing points to preserve the club’s Premier League status.

“Mario Lemina made a big step forward in the week,” Hasenhüttl told the media at his pre-match press conference. “He’s trained with the team and looks much better now – that’s good for him and good for us.

“We know we have an intense week with three games, so it will be nice if we have one more option in this position.

“I have spoken about it and I am sure he will play [at least] one more game this season. The chances are big because now he is training with the team, so maybe his injury has come to an end.”

Meanwhile, Jannik Vestergaard is a doubt for the trip to St James’ Park having missed training on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“Like in the last weeks, after intense games he has little problems and needs a little bit longer for recovery,” Hasenhüttl explained.

“It’s a long season with a huge body, so at the moment he is struggling a little bit, but let’s have a look and see if it’s possible at the weekend.

The manager also revealed “little problems” for Alex McCarthy, Matt Targett and Charlie Austin, but the trio may still be available, while Yan Valery is definitely fit to play.

Michael Obafemi is training alone as he continues his recovery from a hamstring injury.

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-04-18/team-news-mario-lemina-jannik-vestergaard-newcastle-vs-southampton-premier-league-1819

I've moaned about him being out, but I'd love to see what a 100% fit Lemina could do under Ralph.

I really hope we get to see Lemina play under Hasenhutl too...unfortunately he's been out so long I doubt he'll be match-fit enough to impress instantly as this forum demands - but I think he's one of the few truly class players we have that could be a huge difference-maker for us next season.

Not really sure about lemina any more, on his day he can be awesome like the palace game last season, but he just seems very inconsistent, prone to giving ball away trying to be clever, and the west game his passing was shocking. Since he's been out our current midfield three are working well together.. and creatively Armstrong is probably better

• 2 months later...
On his day the most talented player in the squad, however that "day" unfortunately hasn't occurred for a while or often enough.
Agree, he can go from sublime to sub standard in a game. Personally I'd like to stick with him for another season, see if his injury record improves, let Ralph work with him and see if we can get him on the pitch more often.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Agree he hasn't been great but I can see he has some serious talent at times, if anyone can tap into it surely RH can? If it's a choice between keeping him & boufal it's a no brainer!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

love his athleticism and ability with the ball, but his decision-making (on occasion - sometimes it is the team not offering something and him trying to do too much) and positional play undermines these positives to such a degree that you wonder if he will ever make it in the Premiership. There is an absolute diamond in there, but how do you overcome the negatives? Coaching? He's 25, so you'd have to wonder if he will ever change his style. Perhaps a different position such as a more forward role?

I hate seeing raw talent go to waste. Him and Boufal have it in abundance, and they can unlock a defence by beating a man all ends up. But the team needs to work as a unit and flair players, which both are, needs to be slotted into a side in such a way that their weaknesses dont effect the team.

I was on holiday when I watched Palace vs Saints in 2017, early days under Pellegrino. Lemina ran the park that day and looked exceptional. Sadly we’ve seen little since. I’d be great if he could become first choice again in a revamped Hasenhuttl team but if we need the cash for other transfers, he’s one of the jewels we have left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41210053

love his athleticism and ability with the ball, but his decision-making (on occasion - sometimes it is the team not offering something and him trying to do too much) and positional play undermines these positives to such a degree that you wonder if he will ever make it in the Premiership. There is an absolute diamond in there, but how do you overcome the negatives? Coaching? He's 25, so you'd have to wonder if he will ever change his style. Perhaps a different position such as a more forward role?

I hate seeing raw talent go to waste. Him and Boufal have it in abundance, and they can unlock a defence by beating a man all ends up. But the team needs to work as a unit and flair players, which both are, needs to be slotted into a side in such a way that their weaknesses dont effect the team.

This.

A more forward role would be my approach.

I was on holiday when I watched Palace vs Saints in 2017, early days under Pellegrino. Lemina ran the park that day and looked exceptional. Sadly we’ve seen little since. I’d be great if he could become first choice again in a revamped Hasenhuttl team but if we need the cash for other transfers, he’s one of the jewels we have left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41210053

"Forster will take the headlines, but Wesley Hoedt and Maya Yoshida were an almost impenetrable central-defensive pairing, and were protected superbly by Mario Lemina."

Kind of a funny article.

Rumours that we've turned down a loan bid from Atalanta for Lemina. Cannot believe we're looking to sell our most talented player, think he'd be brilliant after a full pre-season under Ralph.

It’s more that we can sell him though. He’s probably one of the most valuable players at the club and realistically we have 3 possibly 4 players that can play in the slightly more advanced role of the two midfielders (Hojbjerg, JWP, Slattery possibly Armstrong). Money can then be spent on a new centre half/right wing back/defensive midfielder as we’re clearly struggling to clear a lot of the other deadwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is much better further forward. His versatility and mobility would be excellent in RH's preferred 4-2-2-2 in the 2 behind the front 2. He's arguably our best player in that kind of role.

But as one of our most saleable assets who's struggled to get game time (for whatever reason), it's likely he'll be off.

Edited by shurlock

Unless he's at the top of his game, he doesn't get in the team. You look at his drive and committment and compare with Hojbjerg and JWP there is no contest. He's not good or disciplined to play instead of Romeu, so that leaves him as an option off the bench. For someone who has a sell on value and probbaly our highest earner, I think it's probably the right decision to lose him. Ideally we'd get £15-20m for him rather than a loan move.

Is much better further forward. His versatility and mobility would be excellent in RH's preferred 4-2-2-2 in the 2 behind the front 2. He's arguably our best player in that kind of role.

But as one of our most sellable assets who has struggled to get game time (for whatever reason), it's likely he'll be off.

Im not sure I agree, yes he is our most talented player but if he had the temperament to be able to deliver consistently on that talent he would be playing at a higher level already IMO. Too much of a show pony trying to take on players and risk losing the ball in dangerous positions. All about him and not the team is my view.

Agree that further forward he would be far more useful but im not sure that he has the characteristic that RH likes in those positions (ie pace).

Personally I would consider selling if we could get the right money and look for a better option in romeos position.

All about opinions i guess.

Im not sure I agree, yes he is our most talented player but if he had the temperament to be able to deliver consistently on that talent he would be playing at a higher level already IMO. Too much of a show pony trying to take on players and risk losing the ball in dangerous positions. All about him and not the team is my view.

Agree that further forward he would be far more useful but im not sure that he has the characteristic that RH likes in those positions (ie pace).

Personally I would consider selling if we could get the right money and look for a better option in romeos position.

All about opinions i guess.

not sure tbh ........i suspect he was carrying some sort of injury last season even when playing , the talent he has i hope that is now sorted and we may see different this season

Unless he's at the top of his game, he doesn't get in the team. You look at his drive and committment and compare with Hojbjerg and JWP there is no contest. He's not good or disciplined to play instead of Romeu, so that leaves him as an option off the bench. For someone who has a sell on value and probbaly our highest earner, I think it's probably the right decision to lose him. Ideally we'd get £15-20m for him rather than a loan move.

Don't see any point in loaning him out. If he's going to leave its because its going to generate significant funds.

Rumours that we've turned down a loan bid from Atalanta for Lemina. Cannot believe we're looking to sell our most talented player, think he'd be brilliant after a full pre-season under Ralph.

I had no idea Atalanta are in the champions league.

I hope he doesn’t go, as he has talent. But I have to ask how much he’s contributed in the last two seasons.

In his defence, the whole squad under-performed during the respective tenures of Pellegrino and Hughes. He then suffered a long-term injury immediately after Ralph's arrival, and only managed to force his way back into the matchday squad with a handful of games remaining.

He is has both talent and tenacity. If Ralph can harness those qualities and get the best out of him, as he has done with numerous other under-performers so far, there's no reason to think he can't become a key component of our midfield this season.

In his defence, the whole squad under-performed during the respective tenures of Pellegrino and Hughes. He then suffered a long-term injury immediately after Ralph's arrival, and only managed to force his way back into the matchday squad with a handful of games remaining.

He is has both talent and tenacity. If Ralph can harness those qualities and get the best out of him, as he has done with numerous other under-performers so far, there's no reason to think he can't become a key component of our midfield this season.

Yep. This is a guy who played under Bielsa and Allegri (I think?) and then was taking instructions (or not?) from Pellegrino and Hughes. You'd probably feel a bit demotivated too.

That being said, if he doesn't get his act together under Hasenhuttl and we could fetch decent money for him then maybe it is better for him to go, but I'm not hoping for us to get rid of a talented player like some seem to be.

Most of our (few) best performances under Pellegrino and Hughes coincided with Lemina being quality.

He has the raw attributes to be a great player and now we have a good Manager it would be a shame to not be able to see what he could make of Lemina.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice