Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

Do well in the Champions League and that will be good exposure for him. Seems to have proper thrown his toys out of the pram with us...he barely put any effort in even when he DID want to play for us. Never forgave him for that horrendous display in the semi-final against Chelsea.

This, with bells on.

If he couldn't get premier League was always going to be a club in the champions League, though he wanted to stay in premier League. That didn't happen as clubs wouldn't pay (high) loan fee and/or commitment to buy at and of season. Personally terms were agreed with one but clubs couldn't agree.

Europe was always the backup, lots of interest, but wanted CL football and gala covering wages. Not a commitment to buy, but he's a talented footballer so here's hoping he shines.

Personally wanted another season out of him, but premier league clubs turned his head and then there was no turning back. Saints allowed him to talk to others, couldn't agree fees, and then he was off the Ralph train.

Hope he does well, gets a few goals and a bag full of assists under his belt now they’ve gone and signed Falcao. Would snap your hand off for £16m back.

He obviously doesn’t want to be here, he wants and thinks he’s good enough for the Champions League.

Certainly one who let the door bang on his backside on the way out. Surprised he didn’t get a kick in the pants from Hughes at Wolves when he took about 10 minutes to change his boots mid game.

Promised much, tempted us with the odd fancy - but overall ran his blueprint of doing pretty much bugger all and pocketing a wage. I guess the premier league was a bit too much like hard work for him.

Certainly one who let the door bang on his backside on the way out. Surprised he didn’t get a kick in the pants from Hughes at Wolves when he took about 10 minutes to change his boots mid game.

Promised much, tempted us with the odd fancy - but overall ran his blueprint of doing pretty much bugger all and pocketing a wage. I guess the premier league was a bit too much like hard work for him.

This. Good riddance to the arrogant tw*t.

This, and on a big stage totally anonymous

It was this game that made me realise that Lemina was a head-case; the opportunity to show off his wares against a really big club, at an iconic stadium and he just couldn't be arsed. Great way to put yourself in the shop window for a top club to take notice, Mario!

What sticks in my mind was when he was attacking our end, and he had fluffed it, he was wandering about behind Chelsea's goal line, while Chelsea were on the break and attacking us. He clearly couldn't give 2 hoots about getting back and helping out. Give me someone like Romeu or Yoshida any day of the week.

For all the rights and wrongs of Leminas performances and transfer, it does now seem very odd that we let Reed go out on loan given our lack of strength in depth in midfield.

If Smallbone or Slattery we're thought highly enough of to be better back-up options than Reed, stranger still that neither featured in the Fulham squad, especially with PEH playing left back!

For all the rights and wrongs of Leminas performances and transfer, it does now seem very odd that we let Reed go out on loan given our lack of strength in depth in midfield.

If Smallbone or Slattery we're thought highly enough of to be better back-up options than Reed, stranger still that neither featured in the Fulham squad, especially with PEH playing left back!

This would be the same Reed that’s made one start for Fulham?

There's a very good player in there somewhere, unfortunately he just never came out very often. I was at Wembley so understand the vitriol, but I was also at West Brom where the other Mario showed up.... ah well.

Edited by Micky

Does this mean I no longer have to have #TonicLikeLeminade shoehorned into my psyche?

Tonic isn't really like Lemonade though is it? Even in both contexts of the word "tonic", this slogan is a bit cr*p and doesn't really make sense or work on any level I can deduce. Stick to playing football and learning the benefits of humility.

I used to really like Lemina. He started with a seemingly good attitude from afar. Not sure the catalyst and where it all went wrong.

Another talented player blinded by the overwhelming urge to fast track his way to wealth and status without putting a shift in (eh Lovren? The King of self grandeur, ego and deluded sense of self worth. The worst player I have witnessed in terms of attitude over the last decade of world football). I appreciate many players have got away with little effort for large reward but surely it gives a better sense of satisfaction achieving success through sheer hard work and determination but I am judging him with my own standards which is my main mistake. Lemina is better off putting the effort in as many other footballers more successfully manage. It's still a pretty charmed life but that lazy and arrogant mindset which plagues so many footballers of undoubted talent ruins the modern game for me in a sense and that preoccupation with materialism has hamstrung his ability to leap like to higher peaks.

I remember Saints had similar issues in the dressing room around the time of Carlton Palmer's arrival when CP and another senior commented and condemned the dressing room for the excessive focus on money and materialism rather than football. He'd never experienced a dressing room like it. Tedious conversations and an endemic preponderance for status and players with a sense of entitlement and the complete lack of sporting hunger and drive for success. We needed that Northern attitude at the time; much less materialism (as is common place on the South Coast and Southampton), and much more drive and determination with a sense of teamwork. Luckily, we have Ralph who is clearly a great man manager very much focused on the psychological as well as tactical side of the game which is half the battle in the modern game.

Well, yes, kind of supporting the point that championship Fulham appear to have better midfield squad depth than we do. It is a bit of a worry ...

Of course, completely supports that view. In much the same way as Jack Rose not playing for Walsall means they have better goalkeeping options than Saints.

Of course, completely supports that view. In much the same way as Jack Rose not playing for Walsall means they have better goalkeeping options than Saints.

Now you're just being a tool, as you probably know.

Aside from the fact he was only ever bought to support the u21 team, if he was here Rose would be (at best) 4th choice. He has played 9 league 2 games in his career, and none for 3 seasons. Reed has 102 appearances, 17 in the premier league, the rest in the championship, 72 in the last two seasons. Plus 16 England youth caps. You're talking about a non entity, I'm talking about a viable option.

The obvious issue is that in a months time when romeu picks up his 5th booking and PEH gets sent off in the same game, we start the next match with a midfield of...???

We are extremely thin on the ground in midfield, yes, probably thinner than Fulham. We're ok for goalkeepers, though. Probably better than walsall.

20:50

LEMINA LOANED TO GALA

Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina has joined Galatasaray on a one-year loan deal for an initial fee of €1m.

The Turkish champions also have the option to buy the player next summer for €16m.

Historically he tends to feature on average about 25 times a season for his club, So with Galatasary having Turkish league and cup, plus at least 6 champions league games this season he should make about 50% of their games. Will this be enough to convince them to shell out €16m. Unlikely...

Yes. At some point this season we will end up fielding a central midfield of Stephens and JWP, or something equally horrific.

As I’ve said before, he's flawed. He'll never make it at the top level. He’s never made it at any of the clubs he’s been at.

Talented, yes, but not the right mind-set or attitude. He'll just meander between different clubs for the remainder of his career before calling it a day on his career quite early on I'd imagine. Then he can bask in the $$$ whilst he laps up his Instagram.

Now you're just being a tool, as you probably know.

Aside from the fact he was only ever bought to support the u21 team, if he was here Rose would be (at best) 4th choice. He has played 9 league 2 games in his career, and none for 3 seasons. Reed has 102 appearances, 17 in the premier league, the rest in the championship, 72 in the last two seasons. Plus 16 England youth caps. You're talking about a non entity, I'm talking about a viable option.

The obvious issue is that in a months time when romeu picks up his 5th booking and PEH gets sent off in the same game, we start the next match with a midfield of...???

We are extremely thin on the ground in midfield, yes, probably thinner than Fulham. We're ok for goalkeepers, though. Probably better than walsall.

Agree with all this (except maybe with Faz being a tool, seems alright to me). We are frighteningly under resourced in midfield, end of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading between the lines seems that Galatasaray are rubbing their hands together at Leminas injury and a perfect excuse to get him out of their club. They have obviously found him out to be a total waste of talent - everyone use to joke about Mane going on a winter performance sojourn when with us - Lemina if you look at his record has made it a career trait everywhere he has been. Those still holding a candle to him to be the saviour of our midfield forget it - the bloke has no spine for a fight - anyone who witnessed the 10 minutes he took to change his football boots mid way through the game up at Wolves will have spotted that the bloke is a total wastrel.

Sorry the bloke is as useless a signing as Carillo.

Reading between the lines seems that Galatasaray are rubbing their hands together at Leminas injury and a perfect excuse to get him out of their club. They have obviously found him out to be a total waste of talent - everyone use to joke about Mane going on a winter performance sojourn when with us - Lemina if you look at his record has made it a career trait everywhere he has been. Those still holding a candle to him to be the saviour of our midfield forget it - the bloke has no spine for a fight - anyone who witnessed the 10 minutes he took to change his football boots mid way through the game up at Wolves will have spotted that the bloke is a total wastrel.

Sorry the bloke is as useless a signing as Carillo.

He is the new Carlos Kaiser.

That article is hilarious. Such blatant click bait.

It says he has a knee ligament injury, and then says getting him back could be a blessing in disguise as he can make a difference to the first team.

I know we're bad, but a lazy injured midfielder with no knee ligaments that can't run (and can barely control or pass the football lets be honest) is not the answer :lol: :mcinnes:

• 2 months later...
Take what we can and get him out. Wages like that are holding us back a lot.

We need to do better in our character assessments that's for sure. Reminds me of Osvaldo, although maybe not quite as bad. Both talented players with big club experience but just no where near enough interest in football, and egos destroying their careers.

Lemina with discipline and any fitness would be a Champions League level midfielder. Instead I doubt he'll ever do much in the game now, just a poundland Pogba.

Agreed. Lemina represents the wave of recent Saints signings who saw us as a stepping stone after a season or two, but who forgot they actually needed to be good in order to get the move.

Take what we can and get him out. Wages like that are holding us back a lot.

We need to do better in our character assessments that's for sure. Reminds me of Osvaldo, although maybe not quite as bad. Both talented players with big club experience but just no where near enough interest in football, and egos destroying their careers.

Lemina with discipline and any fitness would be a Champions League level midfielder. Instead I doubt he'll ever do much in the game now, just a poundland Pogba.

Agree with all of that. In patches he's looked brilliant, and could have been a massive player for us. Instead he was a helmet, and that performance in the fa cup semi was spectacularly bad.

Bin him off and move on.

Agree with all of that. In patches he's looked brilliant, and could have been a massive player for us. Instead he was a helmet, and that performance in the fa cup semi was spectacularly bad.

Bin him off and move on.

Sure, Lemina is a bit flashy, but the comparison with a violent nutter like Osvaldo is way off.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice