Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

Please excuse my ignorance here but how is it even possible for a player to make 29 passes while only managing 24 touches?

yeah you are right tbh, I was looking at the Opta bit where you click on a player and their stats come up- was detailing those- but it is obviously faulty!!!

also it (or me!!!) didn't account for the fact that Lemina only played 45 minutes too!

maybe he did have a good game anyway :lol:

Ralph confirmed he still had stomach problem

Ta. Might explain a sub-par performance, that I seemingly have misinterpreted as being overly lackadaisical. Which I guess leads to the question of why start him in the first place? Armstrong might have fitted in somewhere, or Steven Davis if a more defensive midfielder was needed.

Such a frustrating player. When he’s in the mood, he’s brilliant. Probably our best player. But that mood is once in every 8/10 games.

He has a very high opinion of himself and clearly rates himself as much better than SFC. Just look at the videos he posts on social media. Clips of just himself playing. I think he thinks he can coast here and get a big move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we're starting to see why he's fallen flat at so many clubs.

Attribute wise he has plenty, good skill, power, pace. His application is absolutely shocking though and I think that's in his makeup.

By so many clubs do you mean just Juventus?

Also, widely said by the Manager that he has been carrying an injury for the last two games, the ones he has been poor in.

We have far bigger problems than Lemina.

By so many clubs do you mean just Juventus?

Also, widely said by the Manager that he has been carrying an injury for the last two games, the ones he has been poor in.

We have far bigger problems than Lemina.

Didn't really happen for him at Marseille, never seemed to hold down a place. Didn't have a huge amount of game time at Lorient before that either, but granted he was young then.

He's struggled to hold down a place at any of his clubs so far.

Lemina is maybe our most talented Player and he had a couple of brilliant games this season. You probably can't say that of any of too much other Players right now... Some People seem to vermy much prefer effort over any Kind of skill, but what would you do with a Team full of Shane Longs?

People with skill are the ones who have to take some risks to create chances and Goals - and they of Course don't always come off. But as it was with Tadic, who in the end was the one who kept us up, we Need someone who is able to do more than just running...

Lemina is maybe our most talented Player and he had a couple of brilliant games this season. You probably can't say that of any of too much other Players right now... Some People seem to vermy much prefer effort over any Kind of skill, but what would you do with a Team full of Shane Longs?

People with skill are the ones who have to take some risks to create chances and Goals - and they of Course don't always come off. But as it was with Tadic, who in the end was the one who kept us up, we Need someone who is able to do more than just running...

100% This. Same reason why players like Boufal don't get given half the time someone like Long does.

I think you misunderstand. It is the seemingly lackadaisical approach that is the problem. I put seemingly in bold as am prepared to eat humble pie if there is an injury instead of it being lackadaisical. But my mind also goes back to games such as vs Chelsea at Wembley when there was no injury.

They don't thou, Players like JWP, Long and other try hards get so much more time than anyone who is perceived as lazy

I'll give your bait a little nibble.

Players like JWP, who you would still have a hard on for knocking even if he scored a hatrick, are prepared to do the mucky jobs that need doing during a game, that's why they get more time, because doing those jobs should free up time for players like Lemina to do all the razzle dazzle - and thus far Lemina certainly hasn't set the pitch alight aside from the odd bit of fancy footwork. Whether his stomach injury is the reason for him repeatedly not running after the balls to be won on Sunday who knows...... no one in the ground was wiping tears of disappointment from their eyes when he didn't come out for the second half.

As Lawrie McMenemy always said a good team is made up of Violinists and Roadsweepers, Lemina fits into the former but we ain't getting the tune out of him we should be by now.

A player like Boufal would probably fit in to Ralphs regime as he does have that forward drive and skill at pace and under MoPe he was suddenly prepared to roll up his sleeves and defend well. Just need to get a handle on his mentality - which I would imagine Hughes couldn't be bothered to do which is why he was shipped out on loan.

I'll give your bait a little nibble.

Players like JWP, who you would still have a hard on for knocking even if he scored a hatrick, are prepared to do the mucky jobs that need doing during a game, that's why they get more time, because doing those jobs should free up time for players like Lemina to do all the razzle dazzle - and thus far Lemina certainly hasn't set the pitch alight aside from the odd bit of fancy footwork. Whether his stomach injury is the reason for him repeatedly not running after the balls to be won on Sunday who knows...... no one in the ground was wiping tears of disappointment from their eyes when he didn't come out for the second half.

As Lawrie McMenemy always said a good team is made up of Violinists and Roadsweepers, Lemina fits into the former but we ain't getting the tune out of him we should be by now.

A player like Boufal would probably fit in to Ralphs regime as he does have that forward drive and skill at pace and under MoPe he was suddenly prepared to roll up his sleeves and defend well. Just need to get a handle on his mentality - which I would imagine Hughes couldn't be bothered to do which is why he was shipped out on loan.

Well of course you need a side of a mixture of players. Hojberg/Romeu are much more effective than JWP/Long at Road Sweeping, and Lemina/Armstrong/Boufal are more effective than JWP/Long at playing the fiddle. But sadly because JWP/Long try hard, kiss the badge and/or come from the academy they are given much more slack than a foreign player that loses the ball and is willing to try and beat his man more often.

It's utter nonsense really. Anyway Boufal isn't the answer and has had his chance. I'd rather flog Long and JWP and get something better.

Well of course you need a side of a mixture of players. Hojberg/Romeu are much more effective than JWP/Long at Road Sweeping, and Lemina/Armstrong/Boufal are more effective than JWP/Long at playing the fiddle. But sadly because JWP/Long try hard, kiss the badge and/or come from the academy they are given much more slack than a foreign player that loses the ball and is willing to try and beat his man more often.

It's utter nonsense really. Anyway Boufal isn't the answer and has had his chance. I'd rather flog Long and JWP and get something better.

Has he really though?

He never got any kind of run in the team under Puel due to being injured when we signed him. And then with Pellegrino's ultra-defensive tactics he was never really allowed off his leash in the games he did play. He was then shipped out because he fell out with Hughes, who seems to have made a life-long habit of rubbing people up the wrong way anyway.

I firmly believe he would be a lot more effective in Ralph's system than he was ever able to show under previous managers.

Has he really though?

He never got any kind of run in the team under Puel due to being injured when we signed him. And then with Pellegrino's ultra-defensive tactics he was never really allowed off his leash in the games he did play. He was then shipped out because he fell out with Hughes, who seems to have made a life-long habit of rubbing people up the wrong way anyway.

I firmly believe he would be a lot more effective in Ralph's system than he was ever able to show under previous managers.

Sorry my "had his chance" thing was sarcastic. I'd love Boufal to come back and be given a chance, yeah he gives the ball away and does the odd trick when not needed, but do we honestly have a player like him? I'd rather have him come off the bench in a 0 v 0 than JWP.

Lemina is incredibly talented but seems mentally weak. Against City, he only looked really up for it (e.g. driving forward at pace, taking players on, covering more ground quickly, quicker & more positive and creative passing) when we equalised. Before our goal and after City's second, when it felt like we were in for a tough game, he couldn't motivate himself to the same level as when things looked more positive.

It has been the same in other games; when things look tough, he goes missing. When we're on top, he looks like he's too good for us. He has no fight in him at all and cannot lift a team or influence the teams performance.

Even Boufal, who you can criticise for many things, would try something when we needed a spark. He'd try and get the ball forward, or take players on, or try tricky shots from distance, just to spark something into life. It might not have worked and he might have been kicked off the ball easy, but rarely could you say he didn't try to change things when we needed it.

Is he still ill/carrying an injury, as presume he will be the natural partner with Rom for this evening?

still carrying a tummy injury from Cardiff game apparently..... cant think of the injury to keep him out for 3 weeks but allow him to play full 90 min at West ham, only 45 min at City and bench / not in team today.. Must be very serious.

Has he really though?

We had all this nonsense with Gaston until we finally got rid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still think he is the most talented footballer in the squad but talent isn't any good without hard work and commitment on the pitch to and Lemina doesn't always seem to bring the latter. I have the same issue with Bertrand I know he is a good player but some of his performances the last few seasons have very much been a guy just going through the motions. At least Ralph seems to be prepared to drop players not putting in a shift so hopefully the talented players in the squad realise they have to work hard or not play regardless of how good they think they are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ralph says "Mario Lemina is training by himself in a controlled workload and we will have a look at him."

Not sure to read anything into that or not. Generally training alone tends to mean he's been a naughty boy.

No it means they are trying to get him back to full fitness carefully, the controlled workload bit is the clue

Ralph says "Mario Lemina is training by himself in a controlled workload and we will have a look at him."

Not sure to read anything into that or not. Generally training alone tends to mean he's been a naughty boy.

He's not the messiah (and not sure anyone has claimed he is either to be fair).

Life of Brian reference for younger readers.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice