Shane Long

Roo1976

Came on as a sub yesterday first comment by the commentator .............Shane Long comming on for Southampton 2 goals in 58 apperences not a good return for a forward ....

and his co comentator said id be happy with that stat as a center half.......!...why is he still here?.........same as when JWP comes on set piece,hes normally very good with the delivery................

newsflash spoiler he practises these routines dailly i should think ,hes a millionaire footballer thats his job and he offers fcku all aswell.

I'll try and be objective:

Positives:

very quick

Good at pressing (when he can be bothered)

Makes a nuisance of himself particularly against tiring defenders

Half decent in the air

Negatives:

Inability to time his runs meaning he is continually off side

(This season) Spends too much of the game jogging about aimlessly getting his breath back from the last sprint

Woeful touch

Dreadful shooting

Poor passer

My problem with him is that he seems to lack too many of the basic attributes of a footballer which at premier League level just isn't good enough

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Came on as a sub yesterday first comment by the commentator .............Shane Long comming on for Southampton 2 goals in 58 apperences not a good return for a forward ....

and his co comentator said id be happy with that stat as a center half.......!...why is he still here?.........same as when JWP comes on set piece,hes normally very good with the delivery................

newsflash spoiler he practises these routines dailly i should think ,hes a millionaire footballer thats his job and he offers fcku all aswell.

take it you did not watch the game if you thought JWP did nothing yesterday but take 3 corners and a few free kicks. Manager was pleased with his performance, that's all that matters, Same cant be said for some others who he must be starting to run out of patients with eg Lemina as he clearly did not think much of his performance dragging him off for Redmond after just 45 min!. clearly thought JWP was better for the team than Lemina against City, cause at the time JWP was playing right wing and Lemina central mid, so would have made more sense to remove JWP for Redmond.

On Long I kinda of agree though.

Shane Long has been stealing a living as a footballer for way too many years. He is utter crap - great, he runs around a lot and makes a nuisance of himself but he has zero goal threat and he is meant to be a striker.

Obafemi is already a far better player than Long and that is why Obafemi is a big miss. Him and INgs are our best strikers

Long is not very quick anymore.

I agree, his legs have gone, the instant burst of speed has gone, and that was what made him effective. I don’t dislike him, he simply isn’t up to it anymore and shouldn’t be considered an option, I’m my humble opinion

I agree, his legs have gone, the instant burst of speed has gone, and that was what made him effective. I don’t dislike him, he simply isn’t up to it anymore and shouldn’t be considered an option, I’m my humble opinion

I don't dislike him. I don't live in Southampton and so there aren't any other Saints fans in my office, so when colleagues are ribbing me about Saints, it's always Long who's the butt of the joke. Ie someone gets angry and someone else says "You sound like (my name) when he sees Shane Long on the Southampton team sheet!" but I do think, on the whole he's been a good signing for us and he's done that unique job of coming on, when our backs are to the wall and we're defending something and using that instant burst of speed that you mentioned to put defenders under pressure and chase down lost causes.

Now, Long's legs have gone. He's not slow but he's nowhere near as quick as he was 18 months ago and defenders aren't as worried about him anymore. That was what his game was all about, you take that away from his game and what's he good at? Not a lot IMO.

Still, when he leaves, I will definitely wish him well.

Remember when he was linked with Liverpool?! Not that long ago either. About A year or so ago I think.

Still the quickest at the club, according to hojberg and Austin.

Possibly over a certain distance, but it’s all about the first yard or two, and I think that is where he has lost it. There may be life left in him, I’m hoping a few will get back to form when the new regime gets them to the correct level of conditioning.

Contracts or no contracts why can't we just fire some of these useless clowns for failing abysmally to reach the standards of play expected of them when they signed on as any company would.

FFS surely there are goals and performance standards implicit and written in any contract. Bugger compensation just kick the useless sods out on their backsides. Sack them in short and get the keys to the first team loo back before they leave.

His goal scoring percentage was well known and clear to see when we paid top dollar for him , this was always going to get worse as he aged. Would any other club invest long term on him other than Saints ?

To be fair, although it seemed a lot at the time, I think he has been reasonable VFM. Certainly a lot lot better than many we’ve signed.