Yan Valery - Official: Signs for Angers

SuperSAINT

Thought he was dreadful in any form of attack.

Haven't seen tonight so can't agree/disagree. Would point out Luke Shaw was the same when he broke through, and got better at going forward once he got more settled into the team. Hopefully Valery will be the same.

Haven't seen tonight so can't agree/disagree. Would point out Luke Shaw was the same when he broke through, and got better at going forward once he got more settled into the team. Hopefully Valery will be the same.

Also, incredible progress from getting subbed at Cardiff at half time in virtually no time at all.

Would have thought tonight will do his confidence the world of good.

Thought he played well tonight containing hazard.

Had one very nice run in the first half too.

A nice bonus that he’s quite good in the air too.

Could do with working on his throw ins perhaps.

That's a bit of an understatement, his throw ins are bloody awful. But yes, something that can be worked on.

Probably why Bednarek took over taking them, we are crap at throw ins in general anyway

It baffles me how a professional football team in the top flight of the alleged best league, on £60K a week can possible be "Crap at throw ins". It's the simplest part of the game.

He's played SEVEN premier league games and I think you could argue the case he should be starting over Cedric.

He's 19 and very raw but there is obvious talent, he will massively benefit from game time.

I thought last night was probably his best game, going forward he made attempts to beat players and won a few corners. It's easy to say his decision making isnt great yet but that skill will only develop playing against top class players rather than playing in the u23s.

I also think for the first time since Pochettino we have a coach who is managing the younger players correctly, Hasenhuttl reminds me a bit of Alex Ferguson in the way he has already dealt with the younger players, subbing them when they're having a bad game to protect them and not leaving them out there to have their confidence destroyed.

In six games we've seen Hassenhuttl utilise Ramsey, Valery and Obafemi with the likes of slattery making the bench. Non of them have done anything to disgrace themselves, it's very promising.

He is a very good player, he's getting better with every game and he's played in our three best performances this season v Arsenal, Huddersfield and Chelsea. He has a great future ahead of him.

He played well in the clean sheet up at Leicester in the cup when they played a strong forward line, he's definitely had a big learning curve as the u23 and youth cup games I've seen him in are played at a much slower pace. In some ways being involved in loads of games in quick succession is better than being drip fed appearances , he'll learn much quicker this way and I'd play him in the cup at Derby this weekend again.

Still to early to be our first choice right back so i wouldn't be keen to sell Cedric.

Sorry but I think people are getting a bit carried away. He doesn't look up to standard at the moment. Not sure what he's good at, and is often hesitant in and out of possession. Of course this could be down to nerves or confidence - some of his best moments yesterday were when he showed a bit of determination, but most of the time he looks half hearted, and it's not like he has any obvious stand out qualities.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player in the long run, but there's a long way to go yet. It's still encouraging to see players like Valery get game time, because they can only get better and it's fair to say that he has come through a few tough games without disgracing himself - being up against Hazard and Alonso yesterday, for example - but I don't currently see a player who oozes the quality that some of the above comments suggest.

Sorry but I think people are getting a bit carried away. He doesn't look up to standard at the moment. Not sure what he's good at, and is often hesitant in and out of possession. Of course this could be down to nerves or confidence - some of his best moments yesterday were when he showed a bit of determination, but most of the time he looks half hearted, and it's not like he has any obvious stand out qualities.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player in the long run, but there's a long way to go yet. It's still encouraging to see players like Valery get game time, because they can only get better and it's fair to say that he has come through a few tough games without disgracing himself - being up against Hazard and Alonso yesterday, for example - but I don't currently see a player who oozes the quality that some of the above comments suggest.

This. Nowhere near the level of Shaw in his break through season. Also, YV is very poor going forward.

He looks better in a 3 where he has the protection of Bednerak (who has been brilliant recently, might I add), but has looked fragile when playing in a 4 (I.e Cardiff).

He’ll be a good PL RB in the future and he’s still young and learning and that shows in his performances.

For me, I’d stick with Cedric until the end of the season at the very least as he is by in large our best RB.

His performances have not gone unnoticed in France

Translated from L'Equipe:

The best French player of the evening was not N'Golo Kanté but Southampton's young right-back Yan Valéry (19 years old). Originally from Champigny-sur-Marne, he went first to the Rennes academy and has been with the Saints since 2015. He has been playing regularly for a month and a half and last night rather impressed by his calm and his daring, while he coped alternately with Hazard and Marcos Alonso all the evening. A right-back who goes fast and seems to know how to defend: there are not that many in France ...

To me he almost seems a bit too casual, like he doesn't realise he is actually playing in the PL, against top players.

Defensively, he is quick and has made some really good tackles. Decent in the air.

He probably needs to be a little more aggressive and robust.

Going forward its interesting. He has shown brief glimpses that he could threaten the opposition, but also seems to lack a bit of confidence. Same with his passing. I do remember Luke Shaw being similar, his attacking developed but he was solid defensively from the start.

He probably isnt ready to play every week, but is a very good prospect. Hope he is on a long contract.

He's been steady. He doesn't have genuine pace which is a concern long term. He does offer a physical presence that Cedric hasn't and he looks pretty comfortable on the ball, though not as good as Cedric. Going forward he hasn't done a lot yet, but perhaps he has been asked to not bomb on too much. Also, as he gains confidence he might start to add a little more attacking threat. He doesn't seem to be high energy. Perhaps that's down to his running style - he glides rather than pumping his arms etc. but he certainly needs to impose himself. The rash challenges to gain his yellow cards have at least shown he is willing to put himself about.

He hasn't been terribly exposed defensively, especially as we have played 5 at the back. His positioning has been OK, but his distances need refining. There is a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully he can do that.

To me he almost seems a bit too casual, like he doesn't realise he is actually playing in the PL, against top players.

Defensively, he is quick and has made some really good tackles. Decent in the air.

He probably needs to be a little more aggressive and robust.

Going forward its interesting. He has shown brief glimpses that he could threaten the opposition, but also seems to lack a bit of confidence. Same with his passing. I do remember Luke Shaw being similar, his attacking developed but he was solid defensively from the start.

He probably isnt ready to play every week, but is a very good prospect. Hope he is on a long contract.

good description. a bit too casual and needs to sharpen up. Not sure he has Shaw's pace or is as comfortable in possession. It's essential our youth system develops players, so fingers crossed he can shine as it makes a big difference financially to have young players (on lower wages) in the first team.

He's a steady defender, I don't see him as a wing back type as he's not particularly quick and his attacking instincts aren't really there (so not sure he’s a long term fit for us). As a defender though, a pure RB, he seems like he's got a decent future.

All the pundits and ex=players can't be right. Our forum experts have stated their views and must be right. Valery is nowhere near ready according to them.

Ralph must start taking more notice of our forum experts rather than using his judgement.

Cedric is world class and is a European winner so it's outrageous a 19 year old youth prospect is preferred over him.

All the pundits and ex=players can't be right. Our forum experts have stated their views and must be right. Valery is nowhere near ready according to them.

Ralph must start taking more notice of our forum experts rather than using his judgement.

Cedric is world class and is a European winner so it's outrageous a 19 year old youth prospect is preferred over him.

I doubt many pundits and ex-players pay as much attention to our players as we do though. Were you at the game?

And not many 'forum experts' have said Cedric is world class. In fact, I'm not sure a single one has.

Everyone questioning his attacking threat on the basis of last night's game, remember we were away to Chelsea and he was up against one of the best attacking players in the world with Hazard. It's not unreasonable to believe he had been instructed not to commit himself forward too much.

The one occasion I remember he did overlap and get down to the byline, he did really well.

I would like to see how he does in a similar formation against the lesser teams before passing real judgement, but he looks a great prospect to me.

I think he’ll grow to become an asset.

There should really be a chant for him so I came up with an idea;

Va-ler-ry doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo (rpt x infinity)

It goes along to the tune of Baby Sharks. Not sure if many people know this one but it’s incredibly catchy and creative.

I watched him closely against Man City and Chelsea - so he was up against Sterling then Sane, followed by Hazard and Alonso in the second game. The thing that impressed me most was that he didn't seem over-awed in the slightest, and wasn't afraid to stick his foot in when he needed to. When he came on against City the man inside him was 18 year old Kayne Ramsay.

Valery still needs to be more decisive going forward, but we saw a couple of flashes of that at the Bridge. Lot to learn but a great prospect. Keep 'em coming Ralph...

Let's cut him some slack. He's very young, but still had Hazard in his pocket (sort of).

Has had moments where he's been naive, but pretty good start in my opinion. Lots to look forward to. And appears to have the energy Ralph looks for.

People moan about the same old tired faces not caring about the shirt and looking half assed. I think it's great we are giving youth a chance. It's how they will learn and improve.

Until they get run ragged by Murphy and realise may not be up to it.

Good to see still getting picked as feared his first half against Cardiff would been enough for Ralph.

He clearly has the potential but I think he needs "beefing up" a bit - physically and psychologically. There are key moments when he "plays small", and looks as though he feels he's a boy playing in a man's game.

I certainly wouldn't blame him for the throw-in issues. The whole team is far too static at throw-ins, seemingly waiting for their marker to magically disappear.

Under previous management I don't think he would have developed. Under Hasenhüttl he's got a good chance of becoming a real talent.

He is a prime example of where good coaching can really develop young players (i.e. not Hughes). Look what Klopp has done with TAA and Robertson as an example ...

Think Ralph sees something in him. He just needs to develop and i'm all for us bringing through academy players, developing them and selling them for big bucks, makes for a good long term business model as long as we dont replace them with dross like Boufal, Cariillo, Hoedt etc

Well we rarely win at home

and our defence has been a mess

but now ralph is here

we've got a team that likes to press

Ralph said come on over

come and play for me

You're my favourite right back Valery

Valery

You're favourite right back valery

He is a prime example of where good coaching can really develop young players (i.e. not Hughes). Look what Klopp has done with TAA and Robertson as an example ...

Think Ralph sees something in him. He just needs to develop and i'm all for us bringing through academy players, developing them and selling them for big bucks, makes for a good long term business model as long as we dont replace them with dross like Boufal, Cariillo, Hoedt etc

It seems already that Ralph has a blueprint for playing, which is no doubt why we got him. I saw something the other day to say the u23's etc were training alongside the first team under the same system. The beauty of players like Valery, and no doubt Klopp has found with Arnold and Robertson, is they are a sponge, so don't really have any other mangers ideas, ways and bad habits in their heads, so they become a blank canvas to have ideas and ways of playing worked into them, which becomes a default setting, creating less of a "sod it this ain't working - I'm going to do what I have always done in the past" mentality.

Well we rarely win at home

and our defence has been a mess

but now ralph is here

we've got a team that likes to press

Ralph said come on over

come and play for me

You're my favourite right back Valery

Valery

You're favourite right back valery

Very good :)

It seems already that Ralph has a blueprint for playing, which is no doubt why we got him. I saw something the other day to say the u23's etc were training alongside the first team under the same system. The beauty of players like Valery, and no doubt Klopp has found with Arnold and Robertson, is they are a sponge, so don't really have any other mangers ideas, ways and bad habits in their heads, so they become a blank canvas to have ideas and ways of playing worked into them, which becomes a default setting, creating less of a "sod it this ain't working - I'm going to do what I have always done in the past" mentality.

good point, that

• Lighthouse changed the title to Yan Valery - Official: Signs for Angers