Yan Valery - Official: Signs for Angers

SuperSAINT

He spoke very well. I also watched the Ralph interview...my word, how boring are those questions?! FFS change it around Saints! You just know every interview will end with the “...and just how important were the fans Ralph?” question!!! Is it not beyond the wit of man to find a set of questions that are not designed to lead the discussion?

He spoke very well. I also watched the Ralph interview...my word, how boring are those questions?! FFS change it around Saints! You just know every interview will end with the “...and just how important were the fans Ralph?” question!!! Is it not beyond the wit of man to find a set of questions that are not designed to lead the discussion?������

It is annoying. If the answer to a question is 'yes', 'no', 'very' or 'not at all', then it's a bad question. Or more precisely a closed question. Open questions - in the form of 'tell me about...' almost always elicit more interesting answers.

The kind of closed questioning you see in club PR interviews betrays either a lack of confidence in the players to express themselves well or a simple lack of interest.

Valery is an articulate young man. He doesn't need this annoying prompting.

It is annoying. If the answer to a question is 'yes', 'no', 'very' or 'not at all', then it's a bad question. Or more precisely a closed question. Open questions - in the form of 'tell me about...' almost always elicit more interesting answers.

The kind of closed questioning you see in club PR interviews betrays either a lack of confidence in the players to express themselves well or a simple lack of interest.

Similar to the same inane questions at the end of every Sky live game.

Geoff Shreeves: "How important was that win?"

Manager: "Not important at all. In fact I'm rather disappointed that we didn't lose".

Similar to the same inane questions at the end of every Sky live game.

Geoff Shreeves: "How important was that win?"

Manager: "Not important at all. In fact I'm rather disappointed that we didn't lose".

Ah how I miss wgs after match interviews , apparently he was more worried about a yoghurt going off than a result wasn’t it !

Genius !

Wow, Verbal actually posted on the Main Board!

That's got to be a forum history first?

So because of Forster we shouldn't try to get promising young players to sign longer contracts?

Glad you aren't in charge!

It's not just Forster, we have a history of signing players up to lomg contracts and then they **** off. Not saying we shouldn't do it but it usually ends up pointless other than getting a decent wedge when they go or costing us a lot when we can't shift them. Valery is doing great, as some of us had thought he would, but to sign him up to an expensive contract based on a handful of games is risky, and at this stage unnecessary. I'm also glad you're not in charge.

It's not just Forster, we have a history of signing players up to lomg contracts and then they **** off. Not saying we shouldn't do it but it usually ends up pointless other than getting a decent wedge when they go or costing us a lot when we can't shift them. Valery is doing great, as some of us had thought he would, but to sign him up to an expensive contract based on a handful of games is risky, and at this stage unnecessary. I'm also glad you're not in charge.
It doesn't have to be an expensive contract, just a longer one.

Players haven't ended up leaving because they have signed a new contract, they would have left anyway.

Longer contracts = bigger fees.

Its a no brainer for someone like Valery who is probably on a tiny deal for a player who is now a PL regular. Doubling his wages would still make him earning far, far less than most of our squad.

There was a moment outside of that sumptuous, 25-yard strike at Old Trafford that illustrated his growth perfectly: it came in the 10th minute, when he squared Paul Pogba up, knocked the ball forward and surged past him.

It was a jaw-dropping moment on a lesser scale to the goal, and not just because of who he was up against, but what he decided to do.

As I said in the post match, when he did this it did put a stupid grin on my face.

As Billy mentioned a few weeks ago in League One minus 10: Young Master Valery plays with a "I don't give a F*** who you are attitude".

Since you’ve played at right back,

Our defence ain’t been a mess,

And we don’t miss Cedric much,

And we love the way you press

So why don’t you cross one over,

Or grab another goal for meeee?

Why don’t you cross one over,

Vallleeerrryyyy?

Yan Valllerrryy

Yan Vallerrryy

Good player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said in the post match, when he did this it did put a stupid grin on my face.

As Billy mentioned a few weeks ago in League One minus 10: Young Master Valery plays with a "I don't give a F*** who you are attitude".

Right up with the two goals as the best moment in the whole match. Owned Pogba, and you could’ve heard a pin drop in most parts of Old Trafford.

• 1 month later...

People's thoughts from yesterday?

He really is a mixed bag for me. Personally don't think he defends very well, not tight enough and ponderous. Isn't particularly quick to get back either, slower than Cedric. Crossing was poor for most of the game. The excellent one which found Targett's head was the first cross of his that found a player all game, and his only cross to the far post.

Plenty of time to improve I know.

Personally thought he had a very good game yesterday. Still things he needs to learn, like getting tighter to his man and consistent delivery, but he covered so much ground. For a 19 year old, he’s quicker and stronger than pretty much the rest of our team. He seemed to be the only one who could outmuscle and keep up with King/Wilson - compare that to Stephens and Bednarek who looked like a couple of wet lettuces.

Much more to come from him next year and if he carries on, he won’t be here much longer.

He really is a mixed bag for me. Personally don't think he defends very well, not tight enough and ponderous. Isn't particularly quick to get back either, slower than Cedric. Crossing was poor for most of the game. The excellent one which found Targett's head was the first cross of his that found a player all game, and his only cross to the far post.

Personally thought he had a good Game.

In regards to crossing i think overall his crossing has been better than Cedrics, it was a peach yesterday for the goal. He put in another shortly afterwards that was decent and turned away for a corner.

He's exciting to watch going forward IMHO, he's had 2 or 3 decent runs in different games where he's beaten a player or two, great work by him yesterday to set up Targetts goal.

My initial thought when he first started playing was we'd need an established right back in the summer, I wouldnt be too concerned if he was our first choice next season as I think he's a better prospect than I first thought.

Defensively he'll improve, I think with defending it's something you improve on overtime, rarely if ever do you find defenders aged 19/20 who are component right from their first appearance.

On the balance of his performances he's been a massive plus this season and i'm looking forward to seeing the improvements he makes next season.

Pretty much disagree with most of that. I think he's a decent step up from Cedric in most respects.

He is reasonably decent defensively. He had a habit of getting too tight when he started in the first team and giving away cheap fouls so I think he's actually improved in that respect as he concedes far fewer now. Cedric was a far better defender and more agile with the ball at his feet, but Valery is far stronger and less of a weak link defending crosses.

He's also scored 2 goals already, which (I think) is as many as Cedric managed in his entire Saints career. His crossing isn't great, but it's no worse than Cedric's was. Overall, I don't think it's worth paying a huge sum of money to get someone in to block his development when his replacement would be unlikely to bring much more to the team than he already contributes.

Had a good game. Far from the finished article but has come on leaps and bounds since he first featured. The speed of his improvement is what makes him a genuinely exciting prospect compared to some of our academy products.

When Targett scored, many of the team rushed to the Itchen/Chapel corner to joint him in the celebration - Stephens and Bednarek went over to the Kingsland/Chapel area and congratulated Valery after his cross. Good to see The Defenders Union showing solidarity.

Targett not a defender too?

Thought he had a good game yesterday. He'll get caught out now and then, but that's the way the team plays now. Lots of commitment to attacks, followed by crazed backtracking to defend after someone needlessly gives up possession.

Thought he was brilliant yesterday. He's a kid in his first season playing mens football, he's been quite incredible. He is obviously nowhere near the finished article, but he's already better than Cedric, and I have absolutely no worries about him being first choice next season.

What a find.

I thought he was very good and is improving all the time.

Really impressive going forward and will improve with confidence and experience. He has that burst of pace like he showed yesterday and the cross for Targett was absolutely perfect. If he (only) does one of those in every game then thats fine by me.

Defensively he is quick and strong which puts him halfway there (unlike Targett for example). Again he will improve with experience but since he got taken to the cleaners by Murphy at Cardiff I can't really think of a wide player who has given him a tough time.

Starting player next season for me.

• 5 months later...
Interesting how he’s barely played...

“Yan is struggling a little bit...” said Ralph in the Cedric article from earlier.

Attitude? Fitness?

Struggling with being overlooked in favour of everyone who can have a go at RB? I'd struggle too knowing I'd do better there than JWP, Danso, Bednarek and possibly Cedric.

Bizarre.

He was surprisingly promoted to the starting 11 out of virtually nowhere so much so that we shipped off Cedric. Now he's disappeared in equally sudden circumstances.

His play can be raw and rash at times; but he's made huge strides since his debut and everything suggested that this was the season we were going to reap the rewards for showing earlier patience and faith in him (as is the normal trajectory for promising young players).

He did almost get his leg snapped off against Brighton, so I'm hoping (as with Bertrard) that RH has just been super cautious in bringing him back. That doesn't explain why both him and RB have been unused subs recently though, as fullback generally isn't a position where you risk someone on the bench in the hope that they'll give you a game-changing ten minutes late on.

• 1 year later...

It might just be me, but I always felt he was very good going forward, decent on the ball and a good cross on him but not great defensively.  Always looked more comfortable in a back 5.  If the Mæhle rumours are correct then that's the end of him at right back, could he be useful on the wing?

Was very promising in a RWB position, but looked all at sea when playing RB.  That Leicester game seems to have really hurt him, as I think he has only played once or twice since...?

Looks to me like a loan move would be best for all parties, and see whether he can develop. Sure the allegations relating to his private life have also affected him massively.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Yan Valery - Official: Signs for Angers