The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Swap for Lookman? Works for me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I can't see them releasing Lookman though.

Even if they did then they'd probably be hoping for silly money.

They might offer Morgan in part exchange as they're probably keen to ship him out.

Edited by Badger

How tied in are we to the Ings transfer. Whilst clearly quality when he is fit he has only been available due to injury for (maybe) half a season?

20mill sounds alot for what you get!

As far as i understand of the Ings deal it's based on games he's available for, there's a criteria that says if he's available for a certain number of games (not sure how many) irregardless of if he's played then it converts to a purchase.

Also heard the player himself wanted a get out clause in case we're relegated but i'm not sure about that one.

Ok.....Sims in my view is a better winger/right sided attacking player than Elynoussi, or Long, who has been played there, or Ward-Prowse who has been played there. I'd rather Sims played as a support striker to Ings than the present versions of Austin and Long, particularly given Ralph's stated preference for a pressing style forward - Austin gives none of that quality and Long can only provide an attacking press and not much else. Reed is a better DM, CM option than Ward-Prowse in that his tackling, mobile pressing style is more effective and his distribution at least the equal of JWP's recycle, safe approach.

Also, is Sims not better than Tyreke Johnson? Obviously it's good that Johnson is involved and maybe he has a lot of potential, but I'd have thought Sims would definitely be ahead of him.

Ok.....Sims in my view is a better winger/right sided attacking player than Elynoussi, or Long, who has been played there, or Ward-Prowse who has been played there. I'd rather Sims played as a support striker to Ings than the present versions of Austin and Long, particularly given Ralph's stated preference for a pressing style forward - Austin gives none of that quality and Long can only provide an attacking press and not much else. Reed is a better DM, CM option than Ward-Prowse in that his tackling, mobile pressing style is more effective and his distribution at least the equal of JWP's recycle, safe approach.

Better than Elyounoussi, I’ll grant you but that’s not hard. The rest of the players you mention are all square pegs in round holes. The only players I’d be comparing Sims to are Redmond and Moi. The same with Reed, who I wouldn’t compare to JWP, although I’d have said the latter was better anyway. I couldn’t see Reed forcing Hoj or Romeu out of the team.

Cedric to Everton is a weird one. Our defense is our weakest area so selling Cedric doesn't make sense. Unless we are in for an extra defender it seems pointless. Hope Valery can keep fit all season if this is true. Hopefully we are working hard behind the scenes to sign our striker and defender soon. If we don't sign we are down, doesn't matter how good ralph is. Our squad is a mess.

Better than Elyounoussi, I’ll grant you but that’s not hard. The rest of the players you mention are all square pegs in round holes. The only players I’d be comparing Sims to are Redmond and Moi. The same with Reed, who I wouldn’t compare to JWP, although I’d have said the latter was better anyway. I couldn’t see Reed forcing Hoj or Romeu out of the team.

No, me neither.

But when one or both of those two are inevitably injured/suspended, I would rather have Reed as backup in that position than be forced to play JWP in a role to which he is clearly unsuited.

No, me neither.

But when one or both of those two are inevitably injured/suspended, I would rather have Reed as backup in that position than be forced to play JWP in a role to which he is clearly unsuited.

Don’t disagree but if we’re going with 3 at the back, that usually only leaves room for 2 of Rom, Hoj and Lemina. There will be games, like Leicester, where only one is available but for the sake of Reed’s career, I wouldn’t be sticking around for them. With our wage bill being so precarious, I’d make do with JWP rather than have a 4th DM on the books.

Cedric to Everton is a weird one. Our defense is our weakest area so selling Cedric doesn't make sense. Unless we are in for an extra defender it seems pointless. Hope Valery can keep fit all season if this is true. Hopefully we are working hard behind the scenes to sign our striker and defender soon. If we don't sign we are down, doesn't matter how good ralph is. Our squad is a mess.

Doesn't seem weird to me at all. Everton need a RB, Silva likes Portophones and our manager doesn't seem overly keen on Cedric.

Doesn't seem weird to me at all. Everton need a RB, Silva likes Portophones and our manager doesn't seem overly keen on Cedric.

As with Gabbi/Austin and McCarthy/Forster I suspect the decision is more about who they plausibly can sell to bring in money than who they'd ideally like to sell.

Cedric is one of very few saleable assets in the squad, so I'd imagine the sudden appearance of Valery as soon as RH arrived was an exercise in seeing if he could live without his one experienced right back.

Depressing to hear we're still grubbing about for the money to sign Ings though. Gao really is penniless.

There is a difference between Gao not having money and him choosing to not put money into saints. We are a club that aims to be self-sustaining. We can moan and say we wish we were backed by early abramovich, but we’re not. Hence why we need to release players to free up wages and bring in funds before we can buy. I don’t think it’s a case of not being able to afford Ings, this will be funded by next year’s money. It’s more that we haven’t generated significant funds yet to allow Ralph to further increase the wage / amortisation bill of the club during the January window. Especially when there’s a real chance we could go down still.

I would hope a few more would leave and we might bring in 2 signings, maybe on loan. Hopefully a CB and a quick, hardworking forward. These types of players are hard to find though.

Someone who wants a 'decent' number two. Ralph likes him, but Ralph also wants funds. So far we don't have enough from sales to even cover the Ings Signing. If the club thinks he is the asset easiest to sell, and the player wants to go, he will still go. See also: Wanyama, Pelle, Fonte, VVD, Mane, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Schneiderlin.

How the hell did we go from making a profit on transfers every year and selling Van Dijk for £75M to scrabbling around to find enough money to sign players on on loan?

Don't worry it's a rhetorical question - I know how. Les Reed is how! The pay-offs for Puel, Pelligrino and Hughes and their assistants, the terrible signings of players we now can't sell (Boufal, Carillo, Clasie, Hoedt), and the stupid contracts we gave to players we should have sold (Long, Forster, etc).

Yes, we'd have been relegated. How on earth could we use two young players as back up in the premier league who have already done good jobs as back up in the premier league.

How on earth could they possibly contribute as much as those we've had over the last 2 years given the stunning performances. All of our signings have worked out so well, it would have been suicide to save the money and use youth players like that.

Great point.

You said if they were here and had played a lot more, they'd be worth more. Now you're saying you'd have them as back up, so which is it?

Neither Sims nor Reed is Premier League quality IMO and the more frequently they play, the more detrimental it is to our results.

If we can get a decent fee it makes sense because we obviously need to sell to buy.

How the hell did we go from making a profit on transfers every year and selling Van Dijk for £75M to scrabbling around to find enough money to sign players on on loan?

Don't worry it's a rhetorical question - I know how. Les Reed is how! The pay-offs for Puel, Pelligrino and Hughes and their assistants, the terrible signings of players we now can't sell (Boufal, Carillo, Clasie, Hoedt), and the stupid contracts we gave to players we should have sold (Long, Forster, etc).

yep this in a nutshell really.

people think we don't spend, and whilst our net transfer is probably low- we have spent a fair amount on duds and then equally gave ridiculous contracts to underachievers which puts our wage bill around 9th/10th highest in the league- id say only the top 6, leicester, west ham and everton pay more- but they are nowhere near the relegation zone, and tbh id say that's where krueger and co expect us to be as well- closer to them sort of teams.

There is a difference between Gao not having money and him choosing to not put money into saints. We are a club that aims to be self-sustaining. We can moan and say we wish we were backed by early abramovich, but we’re not. Hence why we need to release players to free up wages and bring in funds before we can buy. I don’t think it’s a case of not being able to afford Ings, this will be funded by next year’s money. It’s more that we haven’t generated significant funds yet to allow Ralph to further increase the wage / amortisation bill of the club during the January window. Especially when there’s a real chance we could go down still.

I would hope a few more would leave and we might bring in 2 signings, maybe on loan. Hopefully a CB and a quick, hardworking forward. These types of players are hard to find though.

I'm not convinced the problem is a lack of money for buying players. I think we need to move players on to create space and free up wages for new signings. Only an idiot would bloat an already massive squad and wage bill with more players and wages before dealing with the underlying problem. Carrying on is putting us on a fast track to bankruptcy (also known as the Harry redknapp school of management).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Doesn’t the compensation to a sacked manager stop once he finds new employment? I remember Dortmund contacting Peter Bosz once he turned up as a analyst on Dutch tv, whilst still be paid of by them. If so, Puel and Pellegrino found employment pretty swift after their contracts were terminated.

The main problem I believe is poor recruitment and high salaries for average players. The likes of Hoedt, Forster and Long know they won’t get a better contract elsewhere. Clasie wants to remain at Feyenoord, however they cannot afford a transfer fee and with Boufal, Carillo and Elyounoussie we will make big losses.

I'm not convinced the problem is a lack of money for buying players. I think we need to move players on to create space and free up wages for new signings. Only an idiot would bloat an already massive squad and wage bill with more players and wages before dealing with the underlying problem. Carrying on is putting us on a fast track to bankruptcy (also known as the Harry redknapp school of management).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

That’s how I see it.

Doesn’t the compensation to a sacked manager stop once he finds new employment? I remember Dortmund contacting Peter Bosz once he turned up as a analyst on Dutch tv, whilst still be paid of by them. If so, Puel and Pellegrino found employment pretty swift after their contracts were terminated.

I think these things are negotiated on a case-by-case basis usually. I read yesterday that Man Utd are trying to demand some compensation from Real Madrid if they appoint Mourinho, even though they sacked him!

It really is quite criminal that we recieved a world record fee 12 months ago (75m) and this window are having to resort to scratching up change to make any signings.

Mismanagement of the highest order. and an owner without a pot to **** in and no interest either.

I had it in my mind that Ralph would have a couple of signings up his sleeve from his previous dealings. In the same way that Koeman, Puel and Pellegrino did. Maybe that might still be the case, I guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Greenridge

Not even sure even counting the crap spending and the manager compensation how we have no money to spend.

We have basically been running at a profit for the last 5 years, other clubs out spend us and carry on out-spending us with lesser revenues. Either other clubs are massively overspending, or we have money leeking out of the club somewhere; probably into Gao's pockets.

Other areas of their games aside, JWP has racked up a fair number of assists over the past 6.5 years, in a far better assist per minutes basis compared to Reed's 1.5 seasons in the Championship. But as others have said, I don't think they fill the same niche. As for JWPs pressing, I'd say one of his best seasons was under Poch, when he frequently played wide right in a pressing front 4, so I personally don't see a reason why he wouldn't be suited to Hasenhuttl's system. Agree about Sims/Elynoussi though - there's a player I would be looking to offload ASAP.

Not even sure even counting the crap spending and the manager compensation how we have no money to spend.

We have basically been running at a profit for the last 5 years, other clubs out spend us and carry on out-spending us with lesser revenues. Either other clubs are massively overspending, or we have money leeking out of the club somewhere; probably into Gao's pockets.

Agreed with your first point. Unless we have been paying stupid wages we should still have a transfer kitty given transfer income and TV revenues. Not sure it is going into Gao's pocket but he may have lumped the debt he used to buy the club onto the books (as Glazers did with United) and therefore we have interest to pay. All will be revealed when the accounts are filed later in the year

there seems to be an assumption that we have an absolute need to sell before we can buy. I think we need to under instruction yes but that doesnt equate to an absolute need. Regardless of what Gao wants to put in to the club unless he is happy to sit there and burn money then of course he wants dead wood sold before new blood comes in. From what was said in the press conference there are irons in the fire and we are working to bring people in. We are also working to get rid of people. I think the only one i am not comfortable with is McCarthy - the others nearly all are happy to see go. Cedric may cause some questions but i can see why he would go if he is saleable and not appearing totally up for the fight. If i was gao id be asking for the same process to be takign place right now. Without les reed its clear Gao on some level was quite involved with Ralphs appointment and there will have been an understanding about this transfer window and i imagine an agreement that a lot needs changing. It makes sense that if a lot changes then people have to go to accommodate that - we already have too many on the wrong kind of loan (not experience seeking - just trying to get our of the building) and when the squad is full no matter who you bring in the end result is more people on loan or not figuring on match day. Id keep McCarthy and from the conference it sounds as though Ralph would too. Maybe there is the reason to worry btu not wih every other transfer thats possible thats been touted. Given the choice between Valery/Reed/Stephens/Maya etc at RB and a new striker or CB that Ralph wants or keeping Soares id take teh former every time. Maybe its just sensible to try to get rid of some people even if that means a little bit of wheat gets out with the chaff too - its about changing the momentum of the entire unit

I couldn't care less if we sold Mccarthy. Gunn is a better number one anyway and the backup keeper rarely gets a game anyway and Forster is more than adequate for that job presuming he is over his mental problems and not needed to play

Just added a bit to complete your sentence.

Not sure I'd be comfortable with FF as our back up. We'd only ever be an injury away from him playing and as he wasn't deemed up to the relegation fight last season I don't really want to have to risk it now.

Keep your eyes to the screens next week............

come on then at least give us a vague hint- is it an in or an out?

if its an in- give the 4th letter from his first name or something vague that we can match it if it proves to be right ;)

1 goal every 6 games average...far better than what ours do at moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A goal every 347 mins, slightly better than Shane Long's overall record with us (1 every 353) - which is pretty good going for a midfielder. For context, Lallana and Tadic scored every 445 and 458 mins respectively (although, admittedly, Herrmann was probably playing in better sides than both of those). 1 every 347 mins is less than 1 in 4 games, but it looks like the reason he hasn't played/scored more is because of extensive injuries :uhoh:

A goal every 347 mins, slightly better than Shane Long's overall record with us (1 every 353) - which is pretty good going for a midfielder. For context, Lallana and Tadic scored every 445 and 458 mins respectively (although, admittedly, Herrmann was probably playing in better sides than both of those). 1 every 347 mins is less than 1 in 4 games, but it looks like the reason he hasn't played/scored more is because of extensive injuries :uhoh:

Our sort of signing then.

He is a winger, Long is a striker (alleged)

This post sums it up well. Business incompetence by people with apparently very little football nous.

Yep. I genuinely believe Reed got a bit arrogant about how good we were at recruiting players. Yes, giving bigger contracts to good players like Van Dijk earned us a good few million more but that's been cancelled out by offering huge contracts to players like Long and Forster, then forking out silly money on crap like Carillo and Hoedt who are also on big wages.

Yep. I genuinely believe Reed got a bit arrogant about how good we were at recruiting players. Yes, giving bigger contracts to good players like Van Dijk earned us a good few million more but that's been cancelled out by offering huge contracts to players like Long and Forster, then forking out silly money on crap like Carillo and Hoedt who are also on big wages.

Yeah, exactly. The 1st thing we did with the VvD money was spend a massive chunk of it on Carrillo. Didn't get much better after that.

Someone who wants a 'decent' number two. Ralph likes him, but Ralph also wants funds. So far we don't have enough from sales to even cover the Ings Signing. If the club thinks he is the asset easiest to sell, and the player wants to go, he will still go. See also: Wanyama, Pelle, Fonte, VVD, Mane, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Schneiderlin.
Surely we are owed loads from the VVD sale still. That would have been staged payments surely

So it seems Everton also have to a move players on to bring someone in this Jan

@_pauljoyce: Marco Silva on January transfer window: “For us to do something it will mean someone has to leave the club.”

I wonder what sort of money they need to make from a sale...

It's been reported that they are interested in Michy Batshuayi (& they are lacking goals). They would have to sign move for him permanently as they have Zouma on loan from Chelsea.

He doesn't play in the same position as Lookman though & this would assume that we could somehow rustle together a tempting financial package for Lookman (which appears unlikely).

I'd love Lookman. I think he's a quality player that isn't being used properly at Everton but that said, I think there's very little chance of them selling him for a price that would fit within our budget and I think Ralph wants a striker first.