The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

The way i read the situation Ralph would probably be happy to leave new buys until the summer and start pre-season with the squad he wants. That may be better then upsetting the balance he is creating. The squad is aready overloaded. if he identifies the right person I expect he would get him but we dont want a repeat of previous window madness
I agree about not making idiotic buys like Carrillo but we shouldn't kid ourselves that we have got a really good squad after all after a couple of good rearguard battling performances. There are areas that need to be addressed - with the right type of player of course.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That sounds massively complacent to me. Yes, Ralph is at the moment getting more out of the players that we have than the previous manager. But we are still in a perilous position and a couple of decent results doesn't change that.

I don't see how you can look at our defenders and forwards now and not think they are a massive downgrade on what we had a couple of years ago. So, where we can, we need to improve the squad sooner rather than later. That is why we are trying to shift on the likes of Gabbi, Davis, Forster and Hoedt, so that we can free up space in the squad for better quality that suits Ralph's game - he has said as much in interviews.

We shouldn't be forced into silly panic buys of course but we absolutely should be supporting Ralph by strengthening his options, and we should look to do it now if we can. He won't stick around long if the club don't support him in the good job he is doing so far.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Agree with this. For example, as well as Vestergaard played against Leicester, he was simply dreadful against Derby. The reasons for this perhaps having as much to do with us playing a deep, backs-to-the-wall defensive line for most of the Leicester game, where his lack of pace and inability to turn weren't as exposed.

Fact is, our best players this season have become default names on the team sheet more through lack of competition than through excellence. Even at the level they're currently playing, I don't think the likes of Redmong, Hoj and Ings would get into the best Saints XIs of past seasons, which shows the true extent to which the squad needs strengthening.

this has got to be a wind up right?

Bournemouth are willing to sell striker Callum Wilson to Chelsea for £75m, according to reports. It’s thought the Blues are keen on the Englishman, but it remains to be seen whether they’ll pay 25 times what the South Coast club paid for the 26-year-old back in 2014.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/transfers/transfer-rumours-bournemouth-name-price-for-chelsea-target-wilson/ss-BBSdFzI?ocid=spartandhp#image=2

Agree with this. For example, as well as Vestergaard played against Leicester, he was simply dreadful against Derby. The reasons for this perhaps having as much to do with us playing a deep, backs-to-the-wall defensive line for most of the Leicester game, where his lack of pace and inability to turn weren't as exposed.

Fact is, our best players this season have become default names on the team sheet more through lack of competition than through excellence. Even at the level they're currently playing, I don't think the likes of Redmong, Hoj and Ings would get into the best Saints XIs of past seasons, which shows the true extent to which the squad needs strengthening.

fantastic post. agree with pretty much all of that. sometimes a bit too much getting carried away on here when the result goes our way, and all the not good players are suddenly praised.

it was a good result against Leicester considering our injuries and the sending off. but the second half was still a total park the bus excercise with us hardly being able to have any of the ball. we played Leicester like they were Man City and got the result

Spot on with this.

These three plus Lemina (when he tries), Bertrand and McCarthy/Gunn are above the current average but a fair bit below the standard we have enjoyed in the recent past.

Spot on with this.

These three plus Lemina (when he tries), Bertrand and McCarthy/Gunn are above the current average but a fair bit below the standard we have enjoyed in the recent past.

Not sure about Bertrand. When in peak form he is arguably the best LB we have had this century.

Agree completely. Likewise, JWP can do a job in centre midfield when the entire team is playing deep in our half but see how he does in a home match against opposition happy to sit back and hit us on the bench when people are running past him or pressing him.

We have one decent deep lying midfielder (Romeu) and one dependable striker (Ings). With Yoshida absent we are also one injury / suspension away from having Ramsey at centre back (assuming Hoedt is out).

If there is someone available who Ralph thinks will strengthen us and we can get them on reasonable wages and fee, then we should.

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/benelux/joakim-maehle-afviser-transfer-ville-vaere-dumt-forlade-holdet

Would be a bit of a turnaround based on this article - I’m sure it says it would be ‘dumt’ (stupid?) to leave the team now, and he will not be part of a transfer - we have a big opportunity to do something beautiful - so my focus is ‘udelukkende’ (?) on Genk

May not mean anything in this day and age, but he doesn’t sound like he’s in a rush to leave

Maehle, Samatta, Trossard & Berge. Genkhampton.

In all seriousness, feel sorry for them. Like us in that horrific summer (and the next couple) they're doing great, and will be rewarded by being raped for their talent. I'm sure some of them will want to stay until the summer and win the title they're set for, but no doubt us, half the premier league and much of europes elite are going to destroy that team within the next few months.

Football really hasn't got a heart these days, has it.

Plus, Long does sit his system. Ings, Longs, Gallagher, Obafemi and Austin is fine.

Can't agree with that at all.

Players who run and press may well be part of his plan but not ones which are as poor as Long. Unless a few more 'keepers fancy knocking his shots into the goal, he isn't going to score many. Ings has a poor history of injuries, Obafemi is unproven and Gallagher has a mediocre record at Championship level. When Austin isn't injured or suspended he just looks hopelessly slow.

We desperately need a striker.

Players who run and press may well be part of his plan but not ones which are as poor as Long. Unless a few more 'keepers fancy knocking his shots into the goal, he isn't going to score many. Ings has a poor history of injuries, Obafemi is unproven and Gallagher has a mediocre record at Championship level. When Austin isn't injured or suspended he just looks hopelessly slow.

Can’t agree with that at all

Yup. In almost all systems the players most likely to get on the end of chances created are the strikers. Long is among the worst finishers ever to make a living as a Premier League striker, so therefore he CANNOT be suited to this or any other system, simply by virtue of that fact.

Yup. In almost all systems the players most likely to get on the end of chances created are the strikers. Long is among the worst finishers ever to make a living as a Premier League striker, so therefore he CANNOT be suited to this or any other system, simply by virtue of that fact.

It's incredible really that Long (good guy and hard worker though he is) has been at SFC for what, 4 seasons? If we survive again this season withe strike force of the last three seasons or so it really will be a minor miracle.

It's incredible really that Long (good guy and hard worker though he is) has been at SFC for what, 4 seasons? If we survive again this season withe strike force of the last three seasons or so it really will be a minor miracle.

I think he's been at the club so long by virtue of the fact that a) we overpaid for him when we bought him and b) we put him on a wage that immediately took him out of the territory of January-relegation-zone-punt, which is really the only market we could have sold him in based on his historic goal return. In a sense, he was the first cast-iron Reed transfer f*** up - overpaying in fee and salary for a player we'd never be able to shift thereafter.

I think he's been at the club so long by virtue of the fact that a) we overpaid for him when we bought him and b) we put him on a wage that immediately took him out of the territory of January-relegation-zone-punt, which is really the only market we could have sold him in based on his historic goal return. In a sense, he was the first cast-iron Reed transfer f*** up - overpaying in fee and salary for a player we'd never be able to shift thereafter.

Quite right - like paying too much for a house which becomes expensive to maintain and can't easily be sold on. Reed's legacy will live on at Saints for quite a while given there others who were expensive, are expensive and almost impossible to sell/move on ie Forster.

e

This is a bit horrible, we have the wierdest 'supporters' I agree that Reed messed up big time. In fact he sold every player of worth and asset stripped the club. But to attack the remnant as rubbish helps no one and Long has had good spells under managers who knew how to use him and has had a terrific 100% workrate with the managers who didn't know how to use him. No one works harder and he deserves credit for that and gratitude from fans not hostility

e

This is a bit horrible, we have the wierdest 'supporters' I agree that Reed messed up big time. In fact he sold every player of worth and asset stripped the club. But to attack the remnant as rubbish helps no one and Long has had good spells under managers who knew how to use him and has had a terrific 100% workrate with the managers who didn't know how to use him. No one works harder and he deserves credit for that and gratitude from fans not hostility

There is nothing wrong with the supporters (mostly). I've never seen Long receive less than the normal support we give any other Saints player, on matchdays. He gets widely criticised on here because he is a poor player and a large number of supporters have noticed this.

He's a striker who scores one goal per manager, it's just ridiculous. He hasn't had good spells under anyone. The best season of his career was when he got 10 league goals in Koeman's second year, which is mediocre at best.

He doesn't deserve credit for working hard, that's the minimum I'd expect from anyone earning £60kpw or whatever he's on now.

There is nothing wrong with the supporters (mostly). I've never seen Long receive less than the normal support we give any other Saints player, on matchdays. He gets widely criticised on here because he is a poor player and a large number of supporters have noticed this.

He's a striker who scores one goal per manager, it's just ridiculous. He hasn't had good spells under anyone. The best season of his career was when he got 10 league goals in Koeman's second year, which is mediocre at best.

He doesn't deserve credit for working hard, that's the minimum I'd expect from anyone earning £60kpw or whatever he's on now.

Thank you, that is Long and his time with Saints summed up perfectly!!!

Being a mod has made you irritating.

I'm deffo in favour. Is it likely?

Talk sport mentioned that Man U wanted to loan him out, I doubt if we'll be interested for the reasons SuperSaint has mentioned but I have always found him to be a pain in the butt type player who gets stuck in and causes problems. Wages probably an issue as well.

(i know its not the shane long thread but given hes who we're trying to improve upon in jan....)

I agree hard work is the minimum you should expect but firstly - you dont always get it from others where you do with Long and secondly - one persons hard work isnt the same as anothers. If you were asked to build a saints player out of all the characteristics of the players we have had over recent years then work ethic would be Long (shh its a likely scenario). What i mean is that yes all should work hard but he is well above others and the norm and to write that off is wrong.

Hes still not my preferred route for the future but theres a place in the squad for him with the way ralph plays i think for sure

e

Totally agree.Idont think fans on here are really a fair cross section. There are few I would back to judge a decent player, and when the howls go up of disloyalty when a player leaves they fail to give credit to ones who show a little bit of loyalty.

It was interesting to Long on interview after Saturdays game where he said that it was nice to be appreciated by his teammates and Ralph. (words to that effect) but failed to mention the fans.Yes he is supposed to score goals but any defender would hate to play against him as he doesn't give any peace. I do expect him to start scoring a few more now, under the new regime.