The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Nothing happening lads..late deals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this actually for real? What is happening with the ones that were seemingly close? On evidence of yesterday we really do need some strengthening, we're a few injuries / suspensions away from a worrying first XI

Ralph Hasenhuttl coy on Southampton links with Leipzig forward Jean-Kevin Augustin:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11609721/ralph-hasenhuttl-coy-on-southampton-links-with-leipzig-forward-jean-kevin-augustin

Of all the deals they had to ask about - They ask him about the £38m option FFS.

I'd say he is more a summer transfer target if still in the PL at this stage...still 38mill seem steep.

Just a hunch but would I be right in thinking that you don't visit the forum very often SaintLondon...? ;)

I actually spend an embarrassing amount of time on here lurking and not posting but these days it is rather difficult to know what is going on - I tend to skip a load of the in-forum arguing so perhaps i've missed out on confirmation that perhaps people are in fact spouting nonsense and not the truth. Who knows eh?

Is this actually for real? What is happening with the ones that were seemingly close? On evidence of yesterday we really do need some strengthening, we're a few injuries / suspensions away from a worrying first XI

I doubt we will ever have the amount of players unavailable than we have for the last 2 matches

In order of standard of player we had out injured or suspended

1. Bertrand

2. Hojbjerg

3. Ings

4. Lemina

5. Yoshida

6. Austin

All 6 probably starters then take into account we have sold Gabbi and Davis have young prospects Hesketh and Sims unavailable, Bednerek McCarthy and Redmond on the bench countless big wage players out in the cold or on loan it's a bloody miracle we even gave derby a game

@AdamBlackmore

#Saintsfc Hasenhüttl told me he needs to add quality to his squad - wouldn’t be drawn on names - but says he’ll do business in this window if it’s the right player for the long-term future benefit of the club - not a short term fix

Isn't that something that hassenhutl said in a presser? I'm not sure hassenhutl told Blackmore anything directly...

It's like me saying "jwp told me there is now a clear game plan".

When will Blackmore actually say something true that everyone already doesn't know?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Isn't that something that hassenhutl said in a presser? I'm not sure hassenhutl told Blackmore anything directly...

It's like me saying "jwp told me there is now a clear game plan".

When will Blackmore actually say something true that everyone already doesn't know?

Pretty sure Blackmore gets 1 to 1 interviews. Often he posts stuff Ralph has said before the Presser begins.

Thank Christ after last night's bare bones ******,the club are now bringing in some quality players.

Are we ?

Although that may be Ralph's intentions, we have yet - to my knowledge - get anyone onboard (the bus or the Ralphtrain..).

@apopey: Leeds United have rebuffed an attempt by Crystal Palace for winger Jack Clarke. United say he’s going nowhere. #lufc

No idea who that account is but you'd have to be mental to bid for a Leeds player right now. They're on the verge of promotion, they're not going to sell one of their best players, not even for £60m.

In the current market for the calibre of players we need, and how many we need. We'd have to spend about 80 million.

I can see us maybe getting one in, hope for survival and then a massive rebuild would need to happen in the summer to get anywhere near being able to compete for the places we want.

Quite happy with our squad when fit. Bertrand, Vesterguard, Benarek, Hojbjerg, Lemina, Redmond, Ings all good enough for an upper mid table side. Need a new right back, new forward/winger for sure.
I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I think maybe two or three of them are good enough for a midtable team at best. The rest simply aren't good enough and it's a big reason why we are where we are.

I tend to agree with Adrian. However, if we were unlucky with injuries (say ings/hoj/redmond out long term) then I think we'd struggle to stay up. With cedric, bertrand, ings and lemina all fit under this manager we have a mid table team no doubt.

We don't have that currently however due to injuries and suspensions. I think the fanbase forget that RH has dragged us away from the relegation zones whilst regualry having 3 or 4 of our best players unavailable each game...

It's therefore time for some perspective please. Far better to play the long game and do the massive restructuring in the summer. I know that's boring and not very exciting, but it's a surer route to enjoying saints more in the future. If we spend now we don't get value for money and we gamble massivley on quality and impact.

Edited by Saint86

Ask any Blackburn or Birmingham fan about the "mediocre" Gallagher and they would bite your hand off to have him back right now.

He was awful last night. He’s got no pace, he can’t head the ball and he can’t hold the ball up or take people on. He looked totally out of his depth. A low-level championship forward at best. He wasn’t quite as bad as Elynoussi or Ramsay and has anyone taught Armstrong ball control?

If we don’t strengthen in this window, Gao needs to go. Clearly has no good intentions or he would’ve stayed them. Buoycott him out along with Kat & Ralph K and get sensible investment and reinvest that plethora of television money or sold player cash. I think the fans would prefer money being spent on the squad rather than a property portfolio

What is a 'pep-jewel'?

It’s like a vajazzle for men. Like a Posh Pep Prince Alberto! :lol:

Saints should move for Victor Wanyama & wasn’t there talk ages back we were after Joao Mario? I wonder if we’re still after Lookman because we certainly aren’t moving swiftly. All I see is a lot of lipservice and disinformative media leaks.

He was awful last night. He’s got no pace, he can’t head the ball and he can’t hold the ball up or take people on. He looked totally out of his depth. A low-level championship forward at best. He wasn’t quite as bad as Elynoussi or Ramsay and has anyone taught Armstrong ball control?

If we don’t strengthen in this window, Gao needs to go. Clearly has no good intentions or he would’ve stayed them. Buoycott him out along with Kat & Ralph K and get sensible investment and reinvest that plethora of television money or sold player cash. I think the fans would prefer money being spent on the squad rather than a property portfolio

If you haven’t already watch ‘Sunderland til I die’. Makes it clear what transfer dealings are like when you’re in a slightly precarious position with an owner who isn’t putting money in. Players taking up squad spaces on big wages put other deals out of the question. In their case Jack rodwell was ruining them. We’ve got a squad that needs trimming so expecting a giant cash drop is completely deluded when we need to shift much deadwood

Very good accurate first paragraph......

My word. What a steaming pile of drivelling mess this post is. We get on one of the most promising managers in world football and you want to oust the people that pulled it off.

Also Armstrong has been one of our best players of late.

Mods - since when was Alpine allowed to have two accounts?

My word. What a steaming pile of drivelling mess this post is. We get on one of the most promising managers in world football and you want to oust the people that pulled it off.

Also Armstrong has been one of our best players of late.

This.

I really struggle with some of our gullible "fans" who buy into the hype of "winning the spending".

In January, you overpay. We've already got a squad that's too expensive and too big. If we move another 2-3 out and identify the right player who fits our profile, maybe one in, but I doubt it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You gotta love transfer window time. Everyone saying we are doomed and that all our players are s**t.

Me, I maybe look back to the Leicester team that were tipped to be bottom half of the league, if not relegation fodder, who with the right manager, produced a whole lot more than the sum of its parts (ie when they won the league). I know after a loss, posters go a bit over board, but the Derby game just lacked all intensity that you get at a PL game. Looking at the starting XI for Leicester, I thought, OMG we are quite thread bare and going to get smashed. But really, if you have a decent manager (which I think that we do), then maybe what we already have is the answer to some of the questions.

The one thing that we really lack is pace. That is something you obviously can't train into a player.

Edited by angelman

This.

I really struggle with some of our gullible "fans" who buy into the hype of "winning the spending".

In January, you overpay. We've already got a squad that's too expensive and too big. If we move another 2-3 out and identify the right player who fits our profile, maybe one in, but I doubt it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just a reminder that we are one point above the relegation zone. And need a CB above all IMO (and a striker)

Just a reminder that we are one point above the relegation zone. And need a CB above all IMO (and a striker)

Only current form we will pull away plus we have a number of first teamers to come back and improve us more.

Whats also going our way is the players are getting fitter every week which means we will be whopping some teams by four goals soon.

I would rather us offload before we buy, Still to much dead wood in this squad the two main priorities for me would be the following.

A player who plays the same position as Elyonoussi which can actually create and play football.

A Striker

Even if we get loans in surely that is better than overpaying for potential dross

Trousers, in the Derby post-match thread you said it would be interesting to compare the cost of the Saints and Derby starting XIs.

According to the figures on transfermarkt, the entire Derby starting XI in that replay cost a grand total of £13 mill in transfer fees, which is less than we paid for Elyounoussi, while the Saints starting XI cost £81 mill in transfer fees. The Derby players are also be on considerably lower wages than ours. In that thread, several posters said we did well to match such a strong Derby team over two legs, when we fielded such a weak team. Of course, both teams had players who'd come through their academies. But, you can see that we have not been getting value for money in the transfer market of late. Hopefully, Ralph will bring some much-needed common sense to our transfer activity henceforth.

21Roos

37Bogle

6Keogh

5Tomori

46Malone

4Bryson

44Huddlestone

8Mount

9Waghorn

14Marriott

7Wilson

28Gunn

66Ramsay

5Stephens

4Vestergaard

2Cédric

14Romeu

16Ward-Prowse

51Johnson

11Elyounoussi

17Armstrong

7Long

Our squad is pretty poor' date=' even with those players. Maybe good enough to just about keep us up but poor nonetheless.[/quote']

Er have you seen the squads of like Watford, Brighton, Newcastle, Palace, etc.

I mean people complain about centre-backs and Watford are 7th with a centre-back pairing of Mariappa and Cathcart ffs, are those really good PL centre-backs or are Watford overall a good organised and well managed team?

I mean Burnley are above us with a team of journeyman.

Ralf has already shown how important a manager is to getting players to play at a decent level and as a team. Half our first team has probably been out over the last few games and he has still got them performing.

I agree with Adrian, McCarthy/Gunn, Cedric or new right back, Vestergaard, Bednerak, Bertrand, Lemnina, Hojberg, Ings, Redmond, Armstrong, is a team good enough for midtable IMO, especially in the current league where everyone below 6th is basically a much of a muchness.

If we had the exact same players we have now, but had appointed Ralf in the summer, I reckon we'd be around the 30 points mark right now.

Trousers, in the Derby post-match thread you said it would be interesting to compare the cost of the Saints and Derby starting XIs.

According to the figures on transfermarkt, the entire Derby starting XI in that replay cost a grand total of £13 mill in transfer fees, which is less than we paid for Elyounoussi, while the Saints starting XI cost £81 mill in transfer fees. The Derby players are also be on considerably lower wages than ours. In that thread, several posters said we did well to match such a strong Derby team over two legs, when we fielded such a weak team. Of course, both teams had players who'd come through their academies. But, you can see that we have not been getting value for money in the transfer market of late. Hopefully, Ralph will bring some much-needed common sense to our transfer activity henceforth.

21Roos

37Bogle

6Keogh

5Tomori

46Malone

4Bryson

44Huddlestone

8Mount

9Waghorn

14Marriott

7Wilson

28Gunn

66Ramsay

5Stephens

4Vestergaard

2Cédric

14Romeu

16Ward-Prowse

51Johnson

11Elyounoussi

17Armstrong

7Long

3 of their first team are on loan and they are probably their 3 best players.

Kind of skews your comparison.

Worth noting as well, the last 3-4 weeks has seen all the teams around us/below us playing each other almost every week.

Cardiff, Fulham, Hudds, Newcastle, Burnley, have basically all faced each other in the last month, and we're still ahead of enough of them. And we've had an injury/suspension hit squad. We've still got all of them to play again, and mostly at home.

With our best players coming back in now too, we'll be fine.

According to the figures on transfermarkt, the entire Derby starting XI in that replay cost a grand total of £13 mill in transfer fees

3 of their first team are on loan and they are probably their 3 best players.

Kind of skews your comparison.

Yep, was more curious about the relative player values as of 'now' rather than how much they cost to buy at some arbitrary point in the past. And, yep, need to include the loan players to make it a 'fair' comparison.

Worth noting as well, the last 3-4 weeks has seen all the teams around us/below us playing each other almost every week.

Cardiff, Fulham, Hudds, Newcastle, Burnley, have basically all faced each other in the last month, and we're still ahead of enough of them. And we've had an injury/suspension hit squad. We've still got all of them to play again, and mostly at home.

Newcastle will go above us with a win at home to Cardiff. We probably want a draw there. Huddersfield have City so should be away win and Fulham have Spurs at home so ditto. We need at least a point tomorrow though. Hope he fires them up to play as against Arsenal, rather than as against West Ham and Derby. 3 points will have us able to relieve the pressure a bit. Come on Saints!

in that time,we faced Arsenal, City and Chelsea. with City and Chelsea done for the season

we also have Fulham, Cardiff, Palace, Huddersfield, Bournemouth to play at home