The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

5 wins out of 16 we should be safe...add in a couple of draws for good measure.

A win tomorrow and Spurs beating Fulham could almost cut the bottom 2 adrift. With their GD I can’t see Fulham making up an extra 9 points on us and Wagner was the only reason Udders were putting up any sort of fight.

I agree with Adrian, McCarthy/Gunn, Cedric or new right back, Vestergaard, Bednerak, Bertrand, Lemnina, Hojberg, Ings, Redmond, Armstrong, is a team good enough for midtable IMO, especially in the current league where everyone below 6th is basically a much of a muchness.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure we could expect to be mid-table by only fielding 10 players each week! ;)

Worth noting as well, the last 3-4 weeks has seen all the teams around us/below us playing each other almost every week.

Cardiff, Fulham, Hudds, Newcastle, Burnley, have basically all faced each other in the last month, and we're still ahead of enough of them. And we've had an injury/suspension hit squad. We've still got all of them to play again, and mostly at home.

With our best players coming back in now too, we'll be fine.

Yeh was an important period for us to get through with some points and not going too far behind others considering all those six pointers going on and we had Chelsea, City and Arsenal in our run, plus a host of injuries.

We are probably doing better than many expected considering who we have had to play and who has been out.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure we could expect to be mid-table by only fielding 10 players each week! ;)

Yeh forgot Romeu.

3 of their first team are on loan and they are probably their 3 best players.

Kind of skews your comparison.

Oh yes, I forgot that we have sent players like Carrillo, Boufal and Clasie, who we spent £53 million on, out on loan, which reinforces my original point that we have wasted a lot of money in the transfer market in recent years on players other clubs would pay little or nothing for. I doubt that Carrillo, Clasie, Hoedt or Vestergaard would get into the Derby team; Boufal might for a few games but not over a whole season.

We are also allowed to take players on loan. Chelsea have so many promising youngsters that they will loan them out to anyone outside the top 6, including us if we want them. We had Bertrand on loan from them and if we’d wanted Tomori on loan instead of spending £15 million on Hoedt, for example, we could have done as they’ve previously loaned him out to Brighton. Instead we've wasted money again and will end up having to loan Hoedt out to another club, the same as we did with Carrillo.

Trousers, as for the current real value of our players, the fact that we'd struggle to find another club prepared to pay any transfer fee at all for many of them indicates they are mostly worth a lot less than we paid for them.

But, as I said, hopefully, Ralph will now bring some much-needed common sense to the club's transfer activity.

I'm arrogantly saying we're not even in the relegation scrap.

Would never have said that last season. But we're only down there due to Mark Hughes. Whatever the squad's limitations, it's miles ahead of those below us, as is our manager.

We've already had our injury crisis. Ralph has looked at all sorts of players, we're out the FA cup and we'll see a more settled side very soon.

We don't have to become world beaters this season, just win 5 or so more games, and we will.

It's the summer I want to see proper investment. 2 or 3 quality signings to improve the first 11, move on any deadwood and decide which academy players are going to be part of the squad.

I'd agree with all of that. As a neutral I just couldn't make a case for us being worse than Cardiff and even if it went to the last day, we've got (probably relegated) Udders, whilst they go to OT.

I think the best transfer window we've had recently was 2013, when we moved a lot of the Hammond, Sharp and De Ridders and signed 3 players, which may as well have just been 2 if you discount Osvaldo's contribution.

Oh yes, I forgot that we have sent players like Carrillo, Boufal and Clasie, who we spent £53 million on, out on loan, which reinforces my original point that we have wasted a lot of money in the transfer market in recent years on players other clubs would pay little or nothing for. I doubt that Carrillo, Clasie, Hoedt or Vestergaard would get into the Derby team; Boufal might for a few games but not over a whole season.

We are also allowed to take players on loan. Chelsea have so many promising youngsters that they will loan them out to anyone outside the top 6, including us if we want them. We had Bertrand on loan from them and if we’d wanted Tomori on loan instead of spending £15 million on Hoedt, for example, we could have done as they’ve previously loaned him out to Brighton. Instead we've wasted money again and will end up having to loan Hoedt out to another club, the same as we did with Carrillo.

Trousers, as for the current real value of our players, the fact that we'd struggle to find another club prepared to pay any transfer fee at all for many of them indicates they are mostly worth a lot less than we paid for them.

But, as I said, hopefully, Ralph will now bring some much-needed common sense to the club's transfer activity.

Yeh but your point was that the team that lost on pens to Derby was much more expensively assembled than Derbys, which whilst technically it is, all those players are at least ours and have a market value, whereas 30% of Derby's first team and their best players are not their players and they don't get any value from them.

If you suddenly removed them and Derby had to go out and buy 3 new first teamers as good as those young players, they would have to have spent more money than it cost us for that team sent out against Derby.

Thus when you look at it like that, despite all our failings in the transfer market, a team made up of more than 50% of our U23s drew with a playoff chasing Championship team, which has some of the best young British prospects around from elite clubs, which is not actually that bad.

What it probably shows is that we could have avoided wasting all that money on expensive foreigners and just trusted our academy products more to be our squad depth as they are probably no worse.

But of course all that money wasted on Carrillo, Boufal, Hoedt etc. was money spent looking to improve the first team and just didn't work out, which happens in football.

I am not sure why we would help Chelsea and Liverpool buy loaning their young players, what we should be doing is tapping their best young players not getting game time and saying they should agitate to come to us and progress their careers, highlighting the likes of Sancho etc.

Quite happy with our squad when fit. Bertrand, Vesterguard, Benarek, Hojbjerg, Lemina, Redmond, Ings all good enough for an upper mid table side. Need a new right back, new forward/winger for sure.

It's a personality and talented leader that we need in the team. A player who has the respect and command that turns attacks into goals and inspires defenders into the solid fortress that VVD inspired.

That's all. Perhaps Ralph can be persuaded to don his boots. (wistful tongue in cheek)

in that time,we faced Arsenal, City and Chelsea. with City and Chelsea done for the season

we also have Fulham, Cardiff, Palace, Huddersfield, Bournemouth to play at home

I'm actually more confident in us as an away side at the moment. Suits Ralph's style

Ralph saying he only wants gamechangers.

Absolutely right. If we don't sign anyone then unlike the window last year it wouldn't be a disaster.

Main area for me if we did get someone would be competition for Redmond and Armstrong as there is currently none.

And yet we keep buying strikers and CBs demonstrating that if we can't find "decent" ones we take a punt on whatever is available.

It is not my money but by the law of averages we ought to get in a decent Striker like Crouch Beattie Pelle and Phillips

Ralph saying he only wants gamechangers.

Absolutely right. If we don't sign anyone then unlike the window last year it wouldn't be a disaster.

Main area for me if we did get someone would be competition for Redmond and Armstrong as there is currently none.

I know he’s marmite, but I’d love to know if boufal has a recall clause in his contract.

Personally I’ve always thought he is better when played through the middle, rather than being stuck isolated on the wing. I think he’d suit Ralph’s style with Redmond the other side of him.

He’s reasonably quick, despite the agenda against him he works hard and has that bit of flair we are lacking at the moment. It won’t happen this season but if he’s willing to learn, then I think he could be a big influence next season.

I know he’s marmite, but I’d love to know if boufal has a recall clause in his contract.

Personally I’ve always thought he is better when played through the middle, rather than being stuck isolated on the wing. I think he’d suit Ralph’s style with Redmond the other side of him.

He’s reasonably quick, despite the agenda against him he works hard and has that bit of flair we are lacking at the moment. It won’t happen this season but if he’s willing to learn, then I think he could be a big influence next season.

Can beat a man, is quick, scores the occasional worldy. Had 3 *terrible* managers during his time here, who were completely unsuited to his play style. I would welcome him back with open arms. We need all the help we can get.

Moi or Boufal? I know which one I’d have.

I find it staggering that people think Boufal is the answer. Ralph wants relentlessly energetic high pressing, tracking back if the ball isn't won in the first phase, then incisive clinical attacks once we have won the ball. He also wants people who are prepared to play for the team, to make the team greater than the sum of its parts. Boufal is capable of moments of magic, but he absolutely isn't the kind of player that Ralph wants. I'm sure he would rather free up the wages and get his own man in.

See, I find this revisionist history of Boufal quite strange. Out of all the things that he was, he wasn't lazy - he worked hard when on the pitch. The only "attitude" issues we saw was once against Puel after he hadn't played him for ages and he scored a stunner, and against Mark Hughes who notoriously doesn't get on with anyone - and then he got shipped out on loan.

The workrate, speed of game and directness would be perfect for Hassenhuttls game. He doesn't fit in with ponderous build up that we've seen under the last 3 Manager's.

We all know Boufal is skillful but his decision making and lack of first time passing/easy ball will not work still here.

You can coach the passing, the skill is natural and he's got loads of it. Got to be worth a try now we finally have a decent manager.

You can coach the passing, the skill is natural and he's got loads of it. Got to be worth a try now we finally have a decent manager.
Couldn't agree more. I can't believe that people are so quick to write attacking players off who have played badly under the ultra defensive/clueless managers who've been managing us for the last few seasons.

You only have to look at the difference in Redmond...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Boufal and Carrillo will be back at the club in the summer (as will Clasie - still a year left on his contract) whether we like it or not but I'm sure RH will be keen to have a good look at them and see how they respond to his methods, they'll be like new players for him. Clean slate until he decides otherwise.

Boufal and Carrillo will be back at the club in the summer (as will Clasie - still a year left on his contract) whether we like it or not but I'm sure RH will be keen to have a good look at them and see how they respond to his methods, they'll be like new players for him. Clean slate until he decides otherwise.

Carrillo is crap and has spent most of his career scoring 5 goals a season against French pub teams. He never looked like contributing anything here, even against Wigan.

Clasie lacks pretty much all of the attributes I'd want from a midfielder, except 'getting stuck in'. He also (reportedly) smokes like a chimney, which explains why he can never last beyond 70 minutes.

Boufal has been subbed off in Celta's last 4 games, all of which they needed a goal to get a result.

See, I find this revisionist history of Boufal quite strange. Out of all the things that he was, he wasn't lazy - he worked hard when on the pitch. The only "attitude" issues we saw was once against Puel after he hadn't played him for ages and he scored a stunner, and against Mark Hughes who notoriously doesn't get on with anyone - and then he got shipped out on loan.

The workrate, speed of game and directness would be perfect for Hassenhuttls game. He doesn't fit in with ponderous build up that we've seen under the last 3 Manager's.

This

I often disagree with what you say but on this I agree. There would be a lot more support and movement with the current set up.

Given what he's said about Obafemi's professionalism I'm not sure he'd be too impressed with Clasie's fitness and smoking habit, to pick on on alehouseboy's comment.

You’re spot on and by all accounts was a well liked member of the squad.

I really don’t get where this lazy tag comes from, I can only assume it’s from people who don’t regularly watch us play, live (some times tv doesn’t give full picture. I.e him on the edge of his own box tracking him man). I also don’t get this selfish tag? If he wasn’t playing for the team, why was he doing all that I just mentioned.

His decision making has been questionable at times and you’d have to say on balance he’s been disappointing, but when played in the right position/role, he could be a real asset. As demonstrated at Vigo and previously In France.

FWIW Tadic was far more of a selfish, lazy player and Boufal has much more natural talent than him as well.

I really don’t get where this lazy tag comes from, I can only assume it’s from people who don’t regularly watch us play, live (some times tv doesn’t give full picture. I.e him on the edge of his own box tracking him man). I also don’t get this selfish tag? If he wasn’t playing for the team, why was he doing all that I just mentioned.

His decision making has been questionable at times and you’d have to say on balance he’s been disappointing, but when played in the right position/role, he could be a real asset. As demonstrated at Vigo and previously In France.

FWIW Tadic was far more of a selfish, lazy player and Boufal has much more natural talent than him as well.

The lazy tag is quite wrong; as others have pointed out Boufal worked hard, tracked back and with limited opportunity developed a very good partnership with Bertrand. I hope he gets a chance to impress Ralph - he could be a game changer for Saints yet.

Couldn't agree more. I can't believe that people are so quick to write attacking players off who have played badly under the ultra defensive/clueless managers who've been managing us for the last few seasons.

You only have to look at the difference in Redmond...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Who had already improved and was the stand out player under Hughes even before Ralph arrived..

The reason for that is Redmond took a long hard look at himself after last season and made a conscious effort to work hard and improve his game including extra training over the summer. I don't think Boufal has that sort of character.

And yet Tadic has achieved far more both at Saints and elsewhere...