Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The January Transfer Window 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    However, Marcus did write off our debt to Barclays for the building of our stadium, didn't he?
    Aviva not barclays and no it wasnt written off they accepted a reduction and staged payments based on the clubs progression through the leagues with the biggest lump when we reached the premiership

2. Default

Chinese bid for Arnautovic.

@LeeClayton_: West Ham have received a bid in excess of £35million for Marko Arnautovic. The bid is from a Chinese club. They want to reject it. The wages will be amazing. Hard to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    However, Marcus did write off our debt to Barclays for the building of our stadium, didn't he?
    No. He bought the club for £10m out of administration. That money would have gone to the administrators first, the tax man second, and then any secured debtors. Barclays lost a lot of money on the deal but not as much as if we had gone bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    No. He bought the club for £10m out of administration. That money would have gone to the administrators first, the tax man second, and then any secured debtors. Barclays lost a lot of money on the deal but not as much as if we had gone bust.
    You know better than me clearly ...........LOL

Poulsen would be great! Offers a bit of everything. Pacey for a big man. Can’t see it happening however

I don't think we had any tax arrears. And HMRC aren't a preferred creditor.

Pretty sure Barclays were only owed £4.4 million when entering administration, which was our overdraft at the time. It was Barclays decision to reduce the overdraft from £5m to £4m that effectively brought about administration, although obviously Lowe actually instigated it with the `bouncing cheque'. Roughly £23.1 million was owed to Norwich Union I believe, which was the loan to build the stadium. I think we owed player wages too for the previous month (or two).

The undisclosed, but reported fee of £13m paid by Marcus, bought him 100% of the shares of Southampton Leisure Holdings. The phrase "paid debts off in full" was used to describe the deal, with reference to the "bank debt, tax and trade debtors". I don't recall there ever being mention of outstanding taxes though.

£13m obviously does not equal £30m (the rounded up figure used to describe our total debt at the time of administration), so someone didn't get paid in full at the time of acquisition. The term `payment plan' has been bandied about on this forum over the years, and the accounts showed a payment of £4m was made to a previous debtor - probably Aviva (formerly Norwich Union) on gaining promotion to the premier league. However, I find it hard to believe Markus paid of 100% of the total £30m debt off. Why on earth would he? My guess is Aviva took a hit, but someone on here will know better than I.
    Last edited by Chez; 09-01-2019 at 07:03 PM.

I get a bit excited when I see new posts added to this transfer thread.

Then I read about finance and sh*t and my c*ck goes all floppy again.

Just saying like.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
    I get a bit excited when I see new posts added to this transfer thread.

Then I read about finance and sh*t and my c*ck goes all floppy again.

Just saying like.
    Yeah, same.

Waiting for the first KBilly or Guan smiley face is tough...

Quote Originally Posted by SaintBitterne View Post
    Poulsen would be great! Offers a bit of everything. Pacey for a big man. Can’t see it happening however
    Poulsen is a mix of Andy Carroll and Shane Long. Plenty of energy and power and clearly enjoys a good tussle. However, as the comparison may imply, he does not score many goals. The last three seasons in total he has amassed 17 goals in 105 matches...

So, I would love to see him play for Saints and he would be perfectly ready for the physical challenge, but he will not solve our goalscoring problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo78 View Post
    Poulsen is a mix of Andy Carroll and Shane Long. Plenty of energy and power and clearly enjoys a good tussle. However, as the comparison may imply, he does not score many goals. The last three seasons in total he has amassed 17 goals in 105 matches...

So, I would love to see him play for Saints and he would be perfectly ready for the physical challenge, but he will not solve our goalscoring problems.
    He's only 24 and has 8 in 15 this season. Still a chance he could become a prolific forward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Yeah, same.

pfft. you havent received a love and light PM yet

Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    pfft. you havent received a love and light PM yet
    Calm down and Drink some Water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    He's only 24 and has 8 in 15 this season. Still a chance he could become a prolific forward.
    Quite possible, yes! I'm terrible at assessing players but I wanted to add a bit to the description of Poulsen. He might develop a lot more as you say, and I would love to see him at the club. But for now he is not a real goal-getter...

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post

Really would hope not

16. Default

Di Marzio has just tweeted that Gabbiadini to Sampdoria is done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FED7028E-417E-495B-9D69-968A9DC26591.jpg  

Did you write clues for 3-2-1? Is it Dusty Bin?

Slowly happening. Thanks for everything Gabbi, will always remember the cup final and keeping us up.

On loan and obligation to buy. Frees up a bit of room. Shame. He was never given a run really when it mattered, and with the right players around him.

20. Default

Fee explained.

GABBIADINI DEAL AGREED

News moves quickly doesn't it. Manolo Gabbiadini is definitely joining Sampdoria from Southampton on a permanent deal, following an initial loan.

Sampdoria will pay an £10.75m (€12m) in all, made up of £2.6m for the loan and £8.1m when he moves in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Yeah, same.

FWIW, Cabbage face's outgoings are pretty spot on. Macca is indeed the next one we are hoping to cash in on.

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Guan 2.0 View Post
    FWIW, Cabbage face's outgoings are pretty spot on. Macca is indeed the next one we are hoping to cash in on.
    Cabbage is actually ITK!?!? So who are we selling Macca to?

I'd ask you about incomings, Guan, but you've already had your 3 posts for the day!

Gabbi deal looks good if that actually transpires to be accurate.

Yet Long and Austin are still here??!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Yet Long and Austin are still here??!
    Hasenhüttl doesn’t seem to rate Gabbiadini. Plus, if the club needs to sell to buy, Gabbiadini’s easier to shift than Long and Austin.

That being said, an obligation to pay a transfer fee in the summer doesn’t seem to help us pay for incomings in this window, except for reducing the wage bill.

26. Default

Question is, who, that would pay the sort of money we'd ask for McCarthy actually needs a GK?

So what has the window told us so far? Looks like the directive from the owners is we have to sell before we can buy.

Who is in demand from our squad?
    SOLD
    Davis - gone, good deal both ways wish him luck
    Gabbi - gone, bit of a shame for us but fresh start for him and understandable
    SALEABLE
    Redmond - hopefully won't be sold
    Lemina - mixed feelings on this forum but I think he is class, needs fitness and better management - would we be able to replace equal or better for the money we'd get? - I doubt it
    McCarthy - good not great, likely to go IMO
    Cedric - on the block for sure
    Bertrand - still a possibility someone may come in for him despite the lack of a 'for sale' sign...if they did, we'd probably sell him
    Hoj - don't see many interested parties and better value staying
    Yoshida - possible some Asian club will go for him after the Asian cup...would be a loss IMO
    Romeu - don't see targeted interest...people would take him off our hands if if was a bargain sale...better keeping as still has a lot to offer us IMO
    JWP - maybe...he gets talked-up by commentators

THE REST
    I've probably missed one or two, but pretty much all the rest I don't see the demand for.

Point being we are going to be limited in who we can realistically sell. Can't believe Ralph doesn't have his eye on one or two players from the Bundesliga and perhaps Christian Gross from Brighton - and that having some cash to play with in January wasn't agreed when he signed. If we are keeping investment money up our sleeves is it smart waiting until the end of the January window? - surely the worst of all times to get value for money. We need to do some buying now.

I meant to say - Gabbi sold for £10M, Targett not sold for £15M - doh!

Cheers Guan. Macca is an odd one, kinda didn’t want to believe it when I was told but then I was told he would be dropped vs Chelsea. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewildered View Post
    Question is, who, that would pay the sort of money we'd ask for McCarthy actually needs a GK?
    Arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Arsenal?

Watford is my guess, Foster not getting any younger. Previous two clubs been in London....lame link I know but hey...its a guess

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Watford is my guess, Foster not getting any younger. Previous two clubs been in London....lame link I know but hey...its a guess
    Could well be. Back to Palace?

I'm looking forward to seeing all the apologies to our friend the Cabbage.

Interesting, so we've taken a loss of about £4m on Gabbi, who has just turned 27, has 2.5 years left on his contract, and who hasn't really lived up to expectations (bought £14/15m sold £10.75m).

Those are almost exactly the same circumstances under which Monaco sold us Carillo this time last year (26.5 years old, 2.5 years left on his contract, rubbish stats), yet in their case they managed to more than double their money (bought £8m sold £19m).

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    Interesting, so we've taken a loss of about £4m on Gabbi, who has just turned 27, has 2.5 years left on his contract, and who hasn't really lived up to expectations (bought £14/15m sold £10.75m).

Those are almost exactly the same circumstances under which Monaco sold us Carillo this time last year (26.5 years old, 2.5 years left on his contract, rubbish stats), yet in their case they managed to more than double their money (bought £8m sold £19m).
    The difference is everyone knows we need to sell.

36. Default

Nah Verlaine, you make a fundamental mistake in not including the value we have already had out of him.

He signed for £14m on a 4½ year contract, so that is £3.1m a year. So with 2½ years remaining that comes to £7.7m while we are selling at £3m more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Nah Verlaine, you make a fundamental mistake in not including the value we have already had out of him.

He signed for £14m on a 4½ year contract, so that is £3.1m a year. So with 2½ years remaining that comes to £7.7m while we are selling at £3m more than that.
    He's not a secondhand car

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sea Saint View Post
    From an accounting point of view, he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    From an accounting point of view, he is.
    Agreed, and with so little game time he was getting rusty.........I'll get my coat.

40. Default

Quote Originally Posted by iansums View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing all the apologies to our friend the Cabbage.
    Dear Cabbage,

Apologies for doubting your ability to repost Twitter rumours on here.

Yours,
    Trousers

41. Default

Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post

That is simple market forces.

PL clubs have lots of money, clubs across Europe outside the big boys do not have as much. So if we are selling these players to the Ajax's, Feyenoords, Sampdorias, Getafes, etc. we can't expect them to be shelling out £20 million for players we don't want and taking on their £50-60k a week wages.

We have taken advantage of the draw of the PL finances, unfortunately it works both ways, we can't expect to flash our cash round Europe to draw these players often away from clubs actually better than us and then expect them to pay just as much to get them back when it doesn't work out.

Look at Chelsea's deal for Pulisic, most of the English press has barely batted an eyelid over that deal, whereas in Germany people think Chelsea are crazy for paying so much for a player, especially not the finished article who was in and out of the Dortmund team.

Germany's 2nd best team, Dortmund can't keep up with PL spending and the Bundesliga is probably richer than most of the other European leagues. If you can't sell to the likes of Barca, PSG, Real, Juve, Bayern, then you are not going to get massive fees from clubs round Europe, they just can't afford them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sea Saint View Post
    A second hand Lamborghini to be precise.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Dear Cabbage,

Yours,
    Trousers

Textbook

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Dear Cabbage,

Yours,
    Trousers

Meow

45. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    Meow
    Woof

Anyone who thinks that vegetable face is ITK, is easily fooled. My son (not a football person), has been telling me pretty much the same sort of rumours, they'll either pan out, or not. Trousers is right, twitter is out there folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingeletiss View Post
    Anyone who thinks that vegetable face is ITK, is easily fooled. My son (not a football person), has been telling me pretty much the same sort of rumours, they'll either pan out, or not. Trousers is right, twitter is out there folks!
    Feeble apology

48. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gingeletiss View Post
    Purrrrrrr

Default The January Transfer Window 2019!

A lot of butthurt people out there. I was in long before twitter rumours. Like I said, I’m now keeping any info to myself. Thanks.

A lot of butthurt people out there. I was in long before twitter rumours. Like I said, I’m now keeping any info to myself. Thanks.

and your posts would be nice as well GS