Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The January Transfer Window 2019!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Reece View Post
    This just makes me more and more annoyed that Kat decided to sell us to someone without a pot to p!ss in. So much for taking us to the ‘next level’ FFS.
    You didn't buy the line that she would only sell to someone who could do that, did you? She was selling to the highest bidder pure and simple. She also ran the club like that when she was owner.

This situation was bound to arise sooner or later, but I thought that we might have had a bit more in the kitty. But given that the owner seems pretty absent most of the time, then I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise.
    Last edited by angelman; 10-01-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Amazing. The search is on for a top quality striker who costs about 300k to sign.
    Someone we can get in on Loan with a view to a permanent move, rather. But the danger is there that if they shine, the number of clubs interested/Price increases.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Guan 2.0 View Post
    Someone we can get in on Loan with a view to a permanent move, rather. But the danger is there that if they shine, the number of clubs interested/Price increases.
    *Cough* Toby *Cough*

4. Default

Are you close to signing anyone?

We have a few players in our pipeline... But there are not finalised
    Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-...uthampton-1819

Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    maybe- we could probably ask for £15m to £20m for Obafemi if someone wanted him- but really how much would players like Sims or Reed fetch?
    Fck all right now. If we'd kept them and given them more first team times probably quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Fck all right now. If we'd kept them and given them more first team times probably quite a lot.
    And probably been relegated.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Sims and Reed are better players than at least 3-4 players in our current squad.

Quote Originally Posted by austsaint View Post
    Sims and Reed are better players than at least 3-4 players in our current squad.
    Do go on...

I disagree, but these 2 have not suddenly become good enough to improve us just because other players are sh'ite. They have been sent on loan to a lower league because they are lower league players.

10. Default

Do go on...
    Ok.....Sims in my view is a better winger/right sided attacking player than Elynoussi, or Long, who has been played there, or Ward-Prowse who has been played there. I'd rather Sims played as a support striker to Ings than the present versions of Austin and Long, particularly given Ralph's stated preference for a pressing style forward - Austin gives none of that quality and Long can only provide an attacking press and not much else. Reed is a better DM, CM option than Ward-Prowse in that his tackling, mobile pressing style is more effective and his distribution at least the equal of JWP's recycle, safe approach.

Hopefully if they shine we stay up, that outweighs keeping them long term. Beggars can’t be choosers can they?

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Amazing. The search is on for a top quality striker who costs about 300k to sign.
    I think Southampton shirts with "Akinfenwa" on the back would sell like hotcakes, and i think he has more pace than Austin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Itís not really, we wonít be able to shift him.

Likely to be another expensive signing out on loan
    I hear Arsenal are on the lookout for another slow cheap not very good defensive signing. Someone give Emery a call.

As Guan says the Macca sale is still very much open.

Letís face it, he is far more sellable than Forster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would Macca be worth ?

8-10mill?

Someone who wants a 'decent' number two. Ralph likes him, but Ralph also wants funds. So far we don't have enough from sales to even cover the Ings Signing. If the club thinks he is the asset easiest to sell, and the player wants to go, he will still go. See also: Wanyama, Pelle, Fonte, VVD, Mane, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Schneiderlin.
    Surely the TV money next summer would account for the Ings transfer fee, without worrying about sales covering it? Thatís assuming we stay up of course.

The Ings fee would not all be due in the summer anyway I would of thought. No different to any other transfer In that you don’t pay all at once.
    I can understand trying to offload few but we need a minimum of 2 players that can walk straight in and improve us or Ralph is on a hiding too nothing.

We are screwed if we don't get a decent CB in at the very least. Screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    If this is true then we should try and sign Sabaly from Bordeaux who fulham are after. I've seen him a few times and he is great going forward, decent in the air and can also play at left back .

How tied in are we to the Ings transfer. Whilst clearly quality when he is fit he has only been available due to injury for (maybe) half a season?

20mill sounds alot for what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    Swap for Lookman? Works for me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Swap for Lookman? Works for me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    I can't see them releasing Lookman though.

Even if they did then they'd probably be hoping for silly money.

They might offer Morgan in part exchange as they're probably keen to ship him out.
    Last edited by Badger; 11-01-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzmeister View Post
    How tied in are we to the Ings transfer. Whilst clearly quality when he is fit he has only been available due to injury for (maybe) half a season?

20mill sounds alot for what you get!
    As far as i understand of the Ings deal it's based on games he's available for, there's a criteria that says if he's available for a certain number of games (not sure how many) irregardless of if he's played then it converts to a purchase.

Also heard the player himself wanted a get out clause in case we're relegated but i'm not sure about that one.

Ok.....Sims in my view is a better winger/right sided attacking player than Elynoussi, or Long, who has been played there, or Ward-Prowse who has been played there. I'd rather Sims played as a support striker to Ings than the present versions of Austin and Long, particularly given Ralph's stated preference for a pressing style forward - Austin gives none of that quality and Long can only provide an attacking press and not much else. Reed is a better DM, CM option than Ward-Prowse in that his tackling, mobile pressing style is more effective and his distribution at least the equal of JWP's recycle, safe approach.
    Also, is Sims not better than Tyreke Johnson? Obviously it's good that Johnson is involved and maybe he has a lot of potential, but I'd have thought Sims would definitely be ahead of him.

Better than Elyounoussi, I’ll grant you but that’s not hard. The rest of the players you mention are all square pegs in round holes. The only players I’d be comparing Sims to are Redmond and Moi. The same with Reed, who I wouldn’t compare to JWP, although I’d have said the latter was better anyway. I couldn’t see Reed forcing Hoj or Romeu out of the team.

Cedric to Everton is a weird one. Our defense is our weakest area so selling Cedric doesn't make sense. Unless we are in for an extra defender it seems pointless. Hope Valery can keep fit all season if this is true. Hopefully we are working hard behind the scenes to sign our striker and defender soon. If we don't sign we are down, doesn't matter how good ralph is. Our squad is a mess.

Better than Elyounoussi, I’ll grant you but that’s not hard. The rest of the players you mention are all square pegs in round holes. The only players I’d be comparing Sims to are Redmond and Moi. The same with Reed, who I wouldn’t compare to JWP, although I’d have said the latter was better anyway. I couldn’t see Reed forcing Hoj or Romeu out of the team.
    No, me neither.

But when one or both of those two are inevitably injured/suspended, I would rather have Reed as backup in that position than be forced to play JWP in a role to which he is clearly unsuited.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    No, me neither.

But when one or both of those two are inevitably injured/suspended, I would rather have Reed as backup in that position than be forced to play JWP in a role to which he is clearly unsuited.
    Don’t disagree but if we’re going with 3 at the back, that usually only leaves room for 2 of Rom, Hoj and Lemina. There will be games, like Leicester, where only one is available but for the sake of Reed’s career, I wouldn’t be sticking around for them. With our wage bill being so precarious, I’d make do with JWP rather than have a 4th DM on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefScummer View Post
    Cedric to Everton is a weird one. Our defense is our weakest area so selling Cedric doesn't make sense. Unless we are in for an extra defender it seems pointless. Hope Valery can keep fit all season if this is true. Hopefully we are working hard behind the scenes to sign our striker and defender soon. If we don't sign we are down, doesn't matter how good ralph is. Our squad is a mess.
    Doesn't seem weird to me at all. Everton need a RB, Silva likes Portophones and our manager doesn't seem overly keen on Cedric.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    As Guan says the Macca sale is still very much open.

Let’s face it, he is far more sellable than Forster

Who's in for him ?

Quote Originally Posted by saintoaks View Post
    Who's in for him ?
    Our parent club was........

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

I couldn't care less if we sold Mccarthy. Gunn is a better number one anyway and the backup keeper rarely gets a game anyway and Forster is more than adequate for that job presuming he is over his mental problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Doesn't seem weird to me at all. Everton need a RB, Silva likes Portophones and our manager doesn't seem overly keen on Cedric.
    As with Gabbi/Austin and McCarthy/Forster I suspect the decision is more about who they plausibly can sell to bring in money than who they'd ideally like to sell.

Cedric is one of very few saleable assets in the squad, so I'd imagine the sudden appearance of Valery as soon as RH arrived was an exercise in seeing if he could live without his one experienced right back.

Depressing to hear we're still grubbing about for the money to sign Ings though. Gao really is penniless.

There is a difference between Gao not having money and him choosing to not put money into saints. We are a club that aims to be self-sustaining. We can moan and say we wish we were backed by early abramovich, but we’re not. Hence why we need to release players to free up wages and bring in funds before we can buy. I don’t think it’s a case of not being able to afford Ings, this will be funded by next year’s money. It’s more that we haven’t generated significant funds yet to allow Ralph to further increase the wage / amortisation bill of the club during the January window. Especially when there’s a real chance we could go down still.

I would hope a few more would leave and we might bring in 2 signings, maybe on loan. Hopefully a CB and a quick, hardworking forward. These types of players are hard to find though.

Yes, we'd have been relegated. How on earth could we use two young players as back up in the premier league who have already done good jobs as back up in the premier league.

How on earth could they possibly contribute as much as those we've had over the last 2 years given the stunning performances. All of our signings have worked out so well, it would have been suicide to save the money and use youth players like that.

Great point.

Someone who wants a 'decent' number two. Ralph likes him, but Ralph also wants funds. So far we don't have enough from sales to even cover the Ings Signing. If the club thinks he is the asset easiest to sell, and the player wants to go, he will still go. See also: Wanyama, Pelle, Fonte, VVD, Mane, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Schneiderlin.
    How the hell did we go from making a profit on transfers every year and selling Van Dijk for £75M to scrabbling around to find enough money to sign players on on loan?

Don't worry it's a rhetorical question - I know how. Les Reed is how! The pay-offs for Puel, Pelligrino and Hughes and their assistants, the terrible signings of players we now can't sell (Boufal, Carillo, Clasie, Hoedt), and the stupid contracts we gave to players we should have sold (Long, Forster, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Yes, we'd have been relegated. How on earth could we use two young players as back up in the premier league who have already done good jobs as back up in the premier league.

How on earth could they possibly contribute as much as those we've had over the last 2 years given the stunning performances. All of our signings have worked out so well, it would have been suicide to save the money and use youth players like that.

Great point.
    You said if they were here and had played a lot more, they'd be worth more. Now you're saying you'd have them as back up, so which is it?

Neither Sims nor Reed is Premier League quality IMO and the more frequently they play, the more detrimental it is to our results.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefScummer View Post
    If we can get a decent fee it makes sense because we obviously need to sell to buy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    How the hell did we go from making a profit on transfers every year and selling Van Dijk for £75M to scrabbling around to find enough money to sign players on on loan?

Don't worry it's a rhetorical question - I know how. Les Reed is how! The pay-offs for Puel, Pelligrino and Hughes and their assistants, the terrible signings of players we now can't sell (Boufal, Carillo, Clasie, Hoedt), and the stupid contracts we gave to players we should have sold (Long, Forster, etc).
    yep this in a nutshell really.
    people think we don't spend, and whilst our net transfer is probably low- we have spent a fair amount on duds and then equally gave ridiculous contracts to underachievers which puts our wage bill around 9th/10th highest in the league- id say only the top 6, leicester, west ham and everton pay more- but they are nowhere near the relegation zone, and tbh id say that's where krueger and co expect us to be as well- closer to them sort of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by labibs View Post
    There is a difference between Gao not having money and him choosing to not put money into saints. We are a club that aims to be self-sustaining. We can moan and say we wish we were backed by early abramovich, but weíre not. Hence why we need to release players to free up wages and bring in funds before we can buy. I donít think itís a case of not being able to afford Ings, this will be funded by next yearís money. Itís more that we havenít generated significant funds yet to allow Ralph to further increase the wage / amortisation bill of the club during the January window. Especially when thereís a real chance we could go down still.

I would hope a few more would leave and we might bring in 2 signings, maybe on loan. Hopefully a CB and a quick, hardworking forward. These types of players are hard to find though.
    I'm not convinced the problem is a lack of money for buying players. I think we need to move players on to create space and free up wages for new signings. Only an idiot would bloat an already massive squad and wage bill with more players and wages before dealing with the underlying problem. Carrying on is putting us on a fast track to bankruptcy (also known as the Harry redknapp school of management).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post

Doesn’t the compensation to a sacked manager stop once he finds new employment? I remember Dortmund contacting Peter Bosz once he turned up as a analyst on Dutch tv, whilst still be paid of by them. If so, Puel and Pellegrino found employment pretty swift after their contracts were terminated.

The main problem I believe is poor recruitment and high salaries for average players. The likes of Hoedt, Forster and Long know they won’t get a better contract elsewhere. Clasie wants to remain at Feyenoord, however they cannot afford a transfer fee and with Boufal, Carillo and Elyounoussie we will make big losses.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangelyBrown View Post
    I'm not convinced the problem is a lack of money for buying players. I think we need to move players on to create space and free up wages for new signings. Only an idiot would bloat an already massive squad and wage bill with more players and wages before dealing with the underlying problem. Carrying on is putting us on a fast track to bankruptcy (also known as the Harry redknapp school of management).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
    Thatís how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kucho View Post
    Doesn’t the compensation to a sacked manager stop once he finds new employment? I remember Dortmund contacting Peter Bosz once he turned up as a analyst on Dutch tv, whilst still be paid of by them. If so, Puel and Pellegrino found employment pretty swift after their contracts were terminated.
    I think these things are negotiated on a case-by-case basis usually. I read yesterday that Man Utd are trying to demand some compensation from Real Madrid if they appoint Mourinho, even though they sacked him!

If we sell Cedric is bring in Bartolec....

47. Default

It really is quite criminal that we recieved a world record fee 12 months ago (75m) and this window are having to resort to scratching up change to make any signings.

Mismanagement of the highest order. and an owner without a pot to **** in and no interest either.

48. Default

I had it in my mind that Ralph would have a couple of signings up his sleeve from his previous dealings. In the same way that Koeman, Puel and Pellegrino did. Maybe that might still be the case, I guess we'll know in the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Greenridge; 11-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Not even sure even counting the crap spending and the manager compensation how we have no money to spend.

We have basically been running at a profit for the last 5 years, other clubs out spend us and carry on out-spending us with lesser revenues. Either other clubs are massively overspending, or we have money leeking out of the club somewhere; probably into Gao's pockets.

50. Default

Other areas of their games aside, JWP has racked up a fair number of assists over the past 6.5 years, in a far better assist per minutes basis compared to Reed's 1.5 seasons in the Championship. But as others have said, I don't think they fill the same niche. As for JWPs pressing, I'd say one of his best seasons was under Poch, when he frequently played wide right in a pressing front 4, so I personally don't see a reason why he wouldn't be suited to Hasenhuttl's system. Agree about Sims/Elynoussi though - there's a player I would be looking to offload ASAP.