Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The January Transfer Window 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Not even sure even counting the crap spending and the manager compensation how we have no money to spend.

We have basically been running at a profit for the last 5 years, other clubs out spend us and carry on out-spending us with lesser revenues. Either other clubs are massively overspending, or we have money leeking out of the club somewhere; probably into Gao's pockets.
    Agreed with your first point. Unless we have been paying stupid wages we should still have a transfer kitty given transfer income and TV revenues. Not sure it is going into Gao's pocket but he may have lumped the debt he used to buy the club onto the books (as Glazers did with United) and therefore we have interest to pay. All will be revealed when the accounts are filed later in the year

there seems to be an assumption that we have an absolute need to sell before we can buy. I think we need to under instruction yes but that doesnt equate to an absolute need. Regardless of what Gao wants to put in to the club unless he is happy to sit there and burn money then of course he wants dead wood sold before new blood comes in. From what was said in the press conference there are irons in the fire and we are working to bring people in. We are also working to get rid of people. I think the only one i am not comfortable with is McCarthy - the others nearly all are happy to see go. Cedric may cause some questions but i can see why he would go if he is saleable and not appearing totally up for the fight. If i was gao id be asking for the same process to be takign place right now. Without les reed its clear Gao on some level was quite involved with Ralphs appointment and there will have been an understanding about this transfer window and i imagine an agreement that a lot needs changing. It makes sense that if a lot changes then people have to go to accommodate that - we already have too many on the wrong kind of loan (not experience seeking - just trying to get our of the building) and when the squad is full no matter who you bring in the end result is more people on loan or not figuring on match day. Id keep McCarthy and from the conference it sounds as though Ralph would too. Maybe there is the reason to worry btu not wih every other transfer thats possible thats been touted. Given the choice between Valery/Reed/Stephens/Maya etc at RB and a new striker or CB that Ralph wants or keeping Soares id take teh former every time. Maybe its just sensible to try to get rid of some people even if that means a little bit of wheat gets out with the chaff too - its about changing the momentum of the entire unit

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I couldn't care less if we sold Mccarthy. Gunn is a better number one anyway and the backup keeper rarely gets a game anyway and Forster is more than adequate for that job presuming he is over his mental problems and not needed to play
    Just added a bit to complete your sentence.

Not sure I'd be comfortable with FF as our back up. We'd only ever be an injury away from him playing and as he wasn't deemed up to the relegation fight last season I don't really want to have to risk it now.

Keep your eyes to the screens next week............

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    come on then at least give us a vague hint- is it an in or an out?
    if its an in- give the 4th letter from his first name or something vague that we can match it if it proves to be right

6. Default

Look, man!

Quote from the Guardian an hour ago:

One player Saints have been linked with is Borussia Monchengladbach winger Patrick Herrmann

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

One player Saints have been linked with is Borussia Monchengladbach winger Patrick Herrmann
    Yeah, he's been mentioned from quite a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

1 goal every 6 games average...far better than what ours do at moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by beavis17 View Post
    Look, man!
    I am surprised they would let him go.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    1 goal every 6 games average...far better than what ours do at moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    A goal every 347 mins, slightly better than Shane Long's overall record with us (1 every 353) - which is pretty good going for a midfielder. For context, Lallana and Tadic scored every 445 and 458 mins respectively (although, admittedly, Herrmann was probably playing in better sides than both of those). 1 every 347 mins is less than 1 in 4 games, but it looks like the reason he hasn't played/scored more is because of extensive injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    A goal every 347 mins, slightly better than Shane Long's overall record with us (1 every 353) - which is pretty good going for a midfielder. For context, Lallana and Tadic scored every 445 and 458 mins respectively (although, admittedly, Herrmann was probably playing in better sides than both of those). 1 every 347 mins is less than 1 in 4 games, but it looks like the reason he hasn't played/scored more is because of extensive injuries
    Our sort of signing then.

Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    He is a winger, Long is a striker (alleged)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    How the hell did we go from making a profit on transfers every year and selling Van Dijk for £75M to scrabbling around to find enough money to sign players on on loan?

Don't worry it's a rhetorical question - I know how. Les Reed is how! The pay-offs for Puel, Pelligrino and Hughes and their assistants, the terrible signings of players we now can't sell (Boufal, Carillo, Clasie, Hoedt), and the stupid contracts we gave to players we should have sold (Long, Forster, etc).
    This post sums it up well. Business incompetence by people with apparently very little football nous.

Yep. I genuinely believe Reed got a bit arrogant about how good we were at recruiting players. Yes, giving bigger contracts to good players like Van Dijk earned us a good few million more but that's been cancelled out by offering huge contracts to players like Long and Forster, then forking out silly money on crap like Carillo and Hoedt who are also on big wages.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shance View Post
    Yep. I genuinely believe Reed got a bit arrogant about how good we were at recruiting players. Yes, giving bigger contracts to good players like Van Dijk earned us a good few million more but that's been cancelled out by offering huge contracts to players like Long and Forster, then forking out silly money on crap like Carillo and Hoedt who are also on big wages.
    Yeah, exactly. The 1st thing we did with the VvD money was spend a massive chunk of it on Carrillo. Didn't get much better after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guan 2.0 View Post
    Someone who wants a 'decent' number two. Ralph likes him, but Ralph also wants funds. So far we don't have enough from sales to even cover the Ings Signing. If the club thinks he is the asset easiest to sell, and the player wants to go, he will still go. See also: Wanyama, Pelle, Fonte, VVD, Mane, Lovren, Clyne, Shaw, Schneiderlin.
    Surely we are owed loads from the VVD sale still. That would have been staged payments surely

Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    Surely we are owed loads from the VVD sale still. That would have been staged payments surely
    I may be wrong, but I think the reason we let it happen was that we insisted on it all up front and Liverpool gave in. Could be wrong though.

At least finally thereís some clear out happening, that should have happened in the summer but for Hughes love of a massive squad.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

So it seems Everton also have to a move players on to bring someone in this Jan

@_pauljoyce: Marco Silva on January transfer window: “For us to do something it will mean someone has to leave the club.”

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    So it seems Everton also have to a move players on to bring someone in this Jan

@_pauljoyce: Marco Silva on January transfer window: “For us to do something it will mean someone has to leave the club.”
    I wonder what sort of money they need to make from a sale...

It's been reported that they are interested in Michy Batshuayi (& they are lacking goals). They would have to sign move for him permanently as they have Zouma on loan from Chelsea.

He doesn't play in the same position as Lookman though & this would assume that we could somehow rustle together a tempting financial package for Lookman (which appears unlikely).

I'd love Lookman. I think he's a quality player that isn't being used properly at Everton but that said, I think there's very little chance of them selling him for a price that would fit within our budget and I think Ralph wants a striker first.

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    We are screwed if we don't get a decent C̶B̶ front man in at the very least. Screwed.
    Corrected for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    What little hope we have of staying up depends on Cedric & Bertrand reprising their best attacking full back roles in the run-in to May. I cannot seriously believe that Ralph would willingly let either go unless their contracts had run down and they wanted out at all cost. The silly season is well and truly with us.

The very idea that Valery and Targett are in any way adequate replacements for these two international players is laughable.

Maybe Everton are playing silly buggers, you are unsettling Lookman so we'll queer your effing pitchn as well.

I wouldn't play a card like that even if I was ITK which I clearly am not and I'm betting this is another pile of bull**** from one of the best NITK bull****ters. I keep my eyes on the screen every day but sod all ever happens. Even Ralph looks as 'though he is thoroughly ****ed off about something.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangelyBrown View Post
    I'm not convinced the problem is a lack of money for buying players. I think we need to move players on to create space and free up wages for new signings. Only an idiot would bloat an already massive squad and wage bill with more players and wages before dealing with the underlying problem. Carrying on is putting us on a fast track to bankruptcy (also known as the Harry redknapp school of management).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
    Probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Corrected for you.
    Think we need both TBH. But at least we'd get draws with a CB...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    I wouldn't play a card like that even if I was ITK which I clearly am not and I'm betting this is another pile of bull**** from one of the best NITK bull****ters. I keep my eyes on the screen every day but sod all ever happens. Even Ralph looks as 'though he is thoroughly ****ed off about something.
    Hi Charlie,

I hope you are well. Let me clear some things up for you, I am not ITK, I have never said Iím ITK, this is a petty label you forum members have decided to label people that pass on info.
    Now from the outset I have said my info should be taken however you want to take it, you can take it for gospel or disregard it. I do the same when I receive a message on WhatsApp.
    You wonít have to worry as Iím not posting any info on here regarding incoming transfers and any further info I get I will be keeping close to myself and only sharing to a select few who understand the nature of the information I receive.

I mean no harm and I apologise for any offence I have caused.

Yours faithfully
    The office of CabbageFace (leader in football information)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Just added a bit to complete your sentence.

Not sure I'd be comfortable with FF as our back up. We'd only ever be an injury away from him playing and as he wasn't deemed up to the relegation fight last season I don't really want to have to risk it now.
    Gazzaniga was rubbish and he was our backup for quite a while. If selling Mccarthy allows us to bring in a winger and a defender then it's worth the risk imo.

Blog Entries

Gazzaniga was rubbish and he was our backup for quite a while. If selling Mccarthy allows us to bring in a winger and a defender then it's worth the risk imo.
    And Gazzanigga was backing up a keeper i.e. Boruc who was pretty injury-prone by goalkeeping standards.

I’d also be happy with FF as a back up keeper. He’s a weakness but not appalling. Makes no sense having such depth in one position when we’re so weak elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I’d also be happy with FF as a back up keeper. He’s a weakness but not appalling. Makes no sense having such depth in one position when we’re so weak elsewhere.
    Agree. He's potentially got a few years left in him. He's getting the big bucks. Get him playing U23 and match ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Agree. He's potentially got a few years left in him. He's getting the big bucks. Get him playing U23 and match ready.
    He wasnít match ready when he was match ready

Alan Nixon reckons we are active in and out in the CB area

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    And Gazzanigga was backing up a keeper i.e. Boruc who was pretty injury-prone by goalkeeping standards.
    Seems to be doing well since he's left us, played very well for spurs in the games he's been called up for and called up by Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Hopefully Hoedt.

Got a nagging feeling Maya might go....... he is arguably our most saleable CB.

Look, man, I don’t think that’s the only area

Out of date photo of Nairobi,or a picture of you holding a fish ?

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Hopefully Hoedt.

Got a nagging feeling Maya might go....... he is arguably our most saleable CB.
    Think he was mentioning this earlier in the week too - I believe it was an incoming.

Will He sign a cb Or Ban Hoedt from being rubbish and start him?

Gazzaniga is a decent keeper and should not have been let go. Pochettino thinks he’s decent which confirms the fact.
    He was not given enough of a chance here. Forster was complete carp for about 40 games plus but was picked relentlessly....
    Too many posters who are headline populist ball watchers on here.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Think he was mentioning this earlier in the week too - I believe it was an incoming.
    Who do you think we will be after SuperSaint?

Sell Hoedt bring in that Upamenco lad.

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Sell Hoedt bring in that Upamenco lad.
    Yes please!

Default The January Transfer Window 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by hackedoff View Post
    Out of date photo of Nairobi,or a picture of you holding a fish ?
    Another hater.....Look Man if you are angry go Drink some Water and maybe go out tonight and Pull Some one nice..

Last edited by Cabbage_Face; 11-01-2019 at 08:50 PM.

46. Default

Quote Originally Posted by davefizzy14 View Post
    Who do you think we will be after SuperSaint?
    Not too sure. If Nixon finds out his identity, he'll likely run it in the Sunday papers.

Players like Upamecano & Lookman make sense but would be at the top end of the price bracket which isn't really where we're at financially.

Like Guan said, loans wouldn't surprise me.

Would anyone fancy a punt on Andy Caroll? Read something contract expiring, injury prone but could be the target man we need.

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Would anyone fancy a punt on Andy Caroll? Read something contract expiring, injury prone but could be the target man we need.

No

Another hater.....Look Man if you are angry go Drink some Water and maybe go out tonight and Pull Some one nice..

Not a hater,just someone with a good memory. No need to pull someone nice,all covered in that department. Maybe you should try fishing it's dead easy,just get the right bait in the right place and you are sure to catch.

50. Default

Posted this on the Forster thread.

This would be the best move for him. Leeds is a great club to join right now.

@JimProudfoot: I understand that Leeds’ hunt for an experienced goalkeeper will see them sign Fraser Forster from Southampton. #lufc #saintsfc
    Not sure how ITK Proudfoot is, but he's at Leeds tonight commentating.