The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

Since 2014 Newcastle have spent £85 million more than us. Let that sink in. Mike a Ashley has out spent us. Mike fu ck ing Ashley. It's a joke. I'm glad others agree it's getting beyond ridiculous now. If we can't afford to strengthen in January when we really need to we don't deserve to be in the Premier league.

I'm fuming at this news.

And where are Newcastle now? A whole two points above us.

I really find it hard to believe that do many are taken in with the idea that there's a prize for spending the most and that spending guarantees success. Ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it highlights the idea that we ‘cant’ spend any more until we sell is daft

Yussuf Poulsen? Rumour on Facebook.

I assume this is what Cabbage Face was alluding to earlier in the thread.

11 goals in 25 apps so far this season for Leipzig.

Having Ralph here could be a big pull for him, so it's not out of the question.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

I assume this is what Cabbage Face was alluding to earlier in the thread.

1 goals in 25 apps so far this season for Leipzig.

Having Ralph here could be a big pull for him, so it's not out of the question.

Better than what we've already got?

I would be very surprised if Ralph wasn´t promised money to spend when he joined and also very surprised if he doesn´t get any former player/players in. Ralph is no fool so if he´s like any other managers my guess is his demands to take this job was money for signings and the power to get rid of some of the deadwood. But of course this is just guesses from my side.

No chance.

A regular at RB Leipzig with Champions League aspirations won't be joining a poor Prem team who have a good chance of being relegated.

he might when money is involved... we pay very good money to both our deadwood and our first 11!

why would Vestegaard have joined us!!! his old team are currrently 3rd now too!

and then there is also the Ralph factor :)

It's the size of our squad and the size of our wage bill that is keeping use from signing new players.

We have 27 players over 21 when you can only play 25 of them - so we are paying 2 players we can't even put on the pitch right now. So we need to move some out either on loan or permanently. Which is why Gabbi and a few other will be leaving so that we can add some players where we really need them.

The squad has undoubtedly been badly managed - and we have a number of poor or very average players we can't get rid of as we gave them enhanced and extended contracts when we probably should have sold them. We have also signed bad players and put them on good contracts - so we can't shift them either (Clasie, Carillo, Boufal included)

That's why we have 4 goalkeepers, 6 strikers over 21 (including Gallagher and Seagar) and 6 centre backs (including Alfie Jones) and only 1 right back over 21, 3 wingers (including Sims) and 2 AMs (including Hesketh).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cedric (replaced by Valery and Ramsey) and McCarthy leave permanently for this reason as they are probably amongst the few we can actually sell - as well as few others leave on loan such as Long, Hoedt and Elyounoussi and a few youngsters go back out on loan as we can't play them (eg Seagar, Rose, Hesketh)

It's the size of our squad and the size of our wage bill that is keeping use from signing new players.

We have 27 players over 21 when you can only play 25 of them - so we are paying 2 players we can't even put on the pitch right now. So we need to move some out either on loan or permanently. Which is why Gabbi and a few other will be leaving so that we can add some players where we really need them.

The squad has undoubtedly been badly managed - and we have a number of poor or very average players we can't get rid of as we gave them enhanced and extended contracts when we probably should have sold them. We have also signed bad players and put them on good contracts - so we can't shift them either (Clasie, Carillo, Boufal included)

That's why we have 4 goalkeepers, 6 strikers over 21 (including Gallagher and Seagar) and 6 centre backs (including Alfie Jones) and only 1 right back over 21, 3 wingers (including Sims) and 2 AMs (including Hesketh).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cedric (replaced by Valery and Ramsey) and McCarthy leave permanently for this reason as they are probably amongst the few we can actually sell - as well as few others leave on loan such as Long, Hoedt and Elyounoussi and a few youngsters go back out on loan as we can't play them (eg Seagar, Rose, Hesketh)

Having to pay the wages of a handful of ex-academy players who are now over 21 is a rounding error on the club's budget.

The one, solitary answer to the question of why other clubs are spending money above what they bring in from player sales and we aren't is because their owners are prepared to put money into the club in the form of converting debt into equity, and ours isn't (with the exception of clubs playing or realistically hoping to play in Europe, who have to abide by UEFA's more stringent FFP rules).

That's it - squad size, wage bill blah blah, it's all a red herring. Gao could pump an additional £35m(ish) into the club every year if he wanted to and had the money.

Everton are after Yacine Brahimi who is a right footed winger but listed as playing on the left. This could further limit Lookmans playing time if true.

This is very likely the only chance we would have of getting him -- If Everton sign a new attacking wide player.

As you say, Brahimi & Malcom from Barca are linked. I'd say any move for Lookman is more likely in summer (if we survive).

Everton said last night they are more focused on the summer market than January.

Pleased to see that Redmond is now being valued and appreciated on this forum after months of abuse very similar to what Mane suffered when he was here.

Criticism =/= abuse. He's still inconsistent and hasn't done the business for at least 3 years in a row. Even Salah shouldn't be deemed as exceptional until he can replicate Messi/Ronaldo/someone who's good and keeps on doing it. Redmond is doing ok so far and it's good to see. Let's hope he continues to do so and finishes that book on mythology he started reading some while back.

Having to pay the wages of a handful of ex-academy players who are now over 21 is a rounding error on the club's budget.

The one, solitary answer to the question of why other clubs are spending money above what they bring in from player sales and we aren't is because their owners are prepared to put money into the club in the form of converting debt into equity, and ours isn't (with the exception of clubs playing or realistically hoping to play in Europe, who have to abide by UEFA's more stringent FFP rules).

That's it - squad size, wage bill blah blah, it's all a red herring. Gao could pump an additional £35m(ish) into the club every year if he wanted to and had the money.

If you look at Brighton's accounts, for example, you can see their annual revenue includes "owner's contributions". He also paid for their new stadium out of his own pocket whereas our club had to go into debt to pay for a new training ground.

If you look at Brighton's accounts, for example, you can see their annual revenue includes "owner's contributions". He also paid for their new stadium out of his own pocket whereas our club had to go into debt to pay for a new training ground.

Shocking that the old owner, treated the club like a business. (God knows what the new owner is thinking?)

They finished 4th the season before last when Vestergaard was playing, so I find that doubtful, they were playing Champions league last season IIRC which they obviously struggled to cope with and ended up finishing 10th.

They also have Thorgan Hazard who is absolutely on fire at the moment with 9 goals and 6 assists in just 17 games.

Vestergaard is starting to show his form I think, he's just taken time to adjust to the pace of the league and what he can and cannot do.

------------------

But yeh its probably wages/squad depth that we need to deal with.

We essentially have Hoedt, Gabbiadini, maybe Long, Forster, maybe Austin, currently that might be surplus to requirements or not in the managers plans.

Plus end of season Boufal, Carrilo, Clasie, likely Reed and maybe Elyounoussi as well if he doesn't show any improvement.

At an average of say £40-50k a week for those senior players, that is probably around £400k in wages to get off the wage bill, if not more, because the likes of Forster, Long, Austin etc. might be on more like £60-70k a week.

They finished 4th the season before last when Vestergaard was playing, so I find that doubtful, they were playing Champions league last season IIRC which they obviously struggled to cope with and ended up finishing 10th.

They also have Thorgan Hazard who is absolutely on fire at the moment with 9 goals and 6 assists in just 17 games.

Vestergaard is starting to show his form I think, he's just taken time to adjust to the pace of the league and what he can and cannot do.

------------------

But yeh its probably wages/squad depth that we need to deal with.

We essentially have Hoedt, Gabbiadini, maybe Long, Forster, maybe Austin, currently that might be surplus to requirements or not in the managers plans.

Plus end of season Boufal, Carrilo, Clasie, likely Reed and maybe Elyounoussi as well if he doesn't show any improvement.

At an average of say £40-50k a week for those senior players, that is probably around £400k in wages to get off the wage bill, if not more, because the likes of Forster, Long, Austin etc. might be on more like £60-70k a week.

It is shocking to be in this position when we are supposedly (or at least were) a 'well run club'. Add in the dismal managerial appointments and it is something of a wonder that we are not already the next Sunderland.

Lots to be done over the next couple of windows.

It is shocking to be in this position when we are supposedly (or at least were) a 'well run club'. Add in the dismal managerial appointments and it is something of a wonder that we are not already the next Sunderland.

Lots to be done over the next couple of windows.

Yeh well the players that need culling is almost as many as the players to keep.

Keep (if they want to stay) -

McCarthy

Gunn

Cedric

Bertrand

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Lemina

Romeu

Hojberg

Armstrong

Ings

Redmond

Valery

Obafemi

Bednarek

(and the other U21s)

Maybes to go -

Austin

JWP

Gallagher

Reed

Long

Moe

Stephens

McQueen

Targett

Almost certainly going if takers -

Gabbi

Forster

Davis

Boufal

Clasie

Carrillo

And out of that last group, Gabbi, Boufal, Carrilo and Clasie are around £60 million spent that I think we will be lucky to get £30 million back from.

And in the middle group I doubt you are going to make massive sales there either. We could end up selling like 10 - 12 players and barely making enough money to fund one top player at today's prices.

Pleased to see that Redmond is now being valued and appreciated on this forum after months of abuse very similar to what Mane suffered when he was here.

Too easily, our bigoted fans will join whichever bandwagon is damning the scapegoat of the month.

Mane, Tadic, just a few of the very talented players that have been rubbished by the easily led - who lament their passing when they've gone. Sad.

However, Marcus did write off our debt to Barclays for the building of our stadium, didn't he?

However, Marcus did write off our debt to Barclays for the building of our stadium, didn't he?

Aviva not barclays and no it wasnt written off they accepted a reduction and staged payments based on the clubs progression through the leagues with the biggest lump when we reached the premiership

No. He bought the club for £10m out of administration. That money would have gone to the administrators first, the tax man second, and then any secured debtors. Barclays lost a lot of money on the deal but not as much as if we had gone bust.

No. He bought the club for £10m out of administration. That money would have gone to the administrators first, the tax man second, and then any secured debtors. Barclays lost a lot of money on the deal but not as much as if we had gone bust.

You know better than me clearly ...........LOL

I don't think we had any tax arrears. And HMRC aren't a preferred creditor.

Pretty sure Barclays were only owed £4.4 million when entering administration, which was our overdraft at the time. It was Barclays decision to reduce the overdraft from £5m to £4m that effectively brought about administration, although obviously Lowe actually instigated it with the `bouncing cheque'. Roughly £23.1 million was owed to Norwich Union I believe, which was the loan to build the stadium. I think we owed player wages too for the previous month (or two).

The undisclosed, but reported fee of £13m paid by Marcus, bought him 100% of the shares of Southampton Leisure Holdings. The phrase "paid debts off in full" was used to describe the deal, with reference to the "bank debt, tax and trade debtors". I don't recall there ever being mention of outstanding taxes though.

£13m obviously does not equal £30m (the rounded up figure used to describe our total debt at the time of administration), so someone didn't get paid in full at the time of acquisition. The term `payment plan' has been bandied about on this forum over the years, and the accounts showed a payment of £4m was made to a previous debtor - probably Aviva (formerly Norwich Union) on gaining promotion to the premier league. However, I find it hard to believe Markus paid of 100% of the total £30m debt off. Why on earth would he? My guess is Aviva took a hit, but someone on here will know better than I.

Edited by Chez

Poulsen would be great! Offers a bit of everything. Pacey for a big man. Can’t see it happening however

Poulsen is a mix of Andy Carroll and Shane Long. Plenty of energy and power and clearly enjoys a good tussle. However, as the comparison may imply, he does not score many goals. The last three seasons in total he has amassed 17 goals in 105 matches...

So, I would love to see him play for Saints and he would be perfectly ready for the physical challenge, but he will not solve our goalscoring problems.

He's only 24 and has 8 in 15 this season. Still a chance he could become a prolific forward.

Quite possible, yes! I'm terrible at assessing players but I wanted to add a bit to the description of Poulsen. He might develop a lot more as you say, and I would love to see him at the club. But for now he is not a real goal-getter...