Chelsea 0-0 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Thought we were excellent tonight.

Scoring 4, conceding 5 and getting 4 points against Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea was unthinkable under Hughes we have improved massively under Hassenhuttl.

It looks like we have finally settled on our CBs which, Vestergarrd, Bednarek and Yosh were excellent, probably Vestergarrd and Yoshs best games in a Saints shirt for us last night. There is no way back for Hoedt imho.

Cedric was good and is a better option than Target at left back even if he looked as though he lacked a bit of match sharpness.

Thought it was valerys best game for us too, I’d like to see him keep his position as he looks to be improving game by game, very raw still but has only played 7 premier league games and last night he was up against one of the best players in the world who was kept quiet for the majority of the game.

Romeu also looks to be back to the player who came into the team just after Wanyama left, he doesn’t offer a great deal going forward but works tirelessly and when Hojbjerg is back we will regain that attacking intent that was maybe a bit lacking last night.

JWP had a good game although I don’t think Hassenhuttls style of play will suit JWP. He looked hurried in possession which resulted in a few misplace paces. Defensively he was getting stuck in and covered ALLOT of ground but he’s always needed an extra few seconds on the back to take a touch, if we’re looking to break quickly and play forward with a touch or two that slowness in possession will be exposed and he’ll frustrate more and more. Hojbjerg used to be similar in that respect but that part of PEH has improved where as JWP is still relatively 1 paced in possession.

I think Redmond and Armstrong had really good games, Armstrong especially. If Armstrong’s form continues in this vein then he’ll be classed as a good signing. He showed a turn of pace last night that I’ve not seen before and we have an obvious first choice front 3 of Armstrong, Redmond and Ings now.

Quick word for Redmond who I think offers a valuable outlet, his pace has the opposition defence sat a yard or two deeper which helps when breaking, he didn’t offer much of a goal threat last night but was a big part of the teams performance last night. Think he’s probably been our second best player this season behind Hojbjerg, it’s a shame he’s a bit of a fans whipping boy at times.

Ings\Long were largely kept quiet, the game probably suited Long more as we looked to hit them on the break and run into space. Long, like Redmond works tirelessly and gives the defenders something to think about over the likes of Austin but isn’t really a goal threat.

Gunn excellent, after Hassenhuttls comments after the game I think we may be seeing a new number 1.

A very good summary

I know the atmosphere at St Mary's is generally pretty poor, but don't think the Chelsea fans sang or chanted a single thing all night.

Yoshida quite rightly getting plaudits but I was equally impressed with Bednarek last night. His positioning and awareness was top notch - without it there would have been a number of occasions when Chelsea (and usually Hazard) would have been clean through.

Watching MOTD last night, perhaps Gunn's saves were simpler than they looked live, but notwithstanding that I thought he had an impeccable game in the way he was always well positioned and quick off his line to snuff out any danger.

Cedric was poor, probably our worst player, but after a few weeks out it's no surprise he was looking rusty, and was also playing on his weaker side. Valery looks too half hearted most of the time for my liking - coud just be confidence but not as convinced as some people are about him. That being said, he was up against Hazard and Alonso today, perhaps his reluctance to get forward and demand the ball was just being wary of being caught upfield.

Romeu had a typically-Oriol good game. JWP was excellent too I thought, best I can remember him playing in a while, really put himself about. Redmond ran himself into the ground and always looked a threat but it's a shame he doesn't possess much pace. I like Armstrong's directness. He's a bit rough round the edges but he causes defenders problems and it's important to have someone with an eye for goal. Ings was disappointing but good that Ralph saw that and made the change early, considering how good and how important Ings has been for us to date - lots of managers would have left him on in hope.

The game highlighted the gulf in class between the two sets of players though. So many of our attacks broke down because of sloppy passes or poor first touches. How many times did we give the ball away from our own throw in? Chelsea nearly scored from one that we had near their corner flag! When you have better players, the ball is under control and everything is crisper and faster. We just don't have that - hopefully understanding the system will give players more confidence and that will improve.

All in all a great evening, even better leaving the house at 7:15 and being home by 10! Certainly reasons to be optimistic for the rest of the season, but there's still work to be done.

Apparently has a hamstring issue which is why he was hauled off :/

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that the two moments in the game that got Saints fans in their loudest voice were both tackles. Can't remember who the first one was (maybe JWP), the second was Valery on Alonso. It might not be a very "modern football fan" outlook, but I love the fact that players getting stuck in gets the crowd up as much as a shot on goal!

According to the commentator, Saints have won NONE games in the last 12 games that Ploddy has figured in.

According to the Commentator Prowsey's last 12 appearances have been 8 losses and 4 draws.

What a wonderful statistic for you tossers.

No need to be rude, w*nker!

Very good fighting performance. I know we've dropped back in tonight, and are slightly adrift now, but I'm not that worried.

We seem to have a manager who 'gets it' tactically and is able to clearly instruct what he wants the teams to achieve. I saw people moaning about our lack of attacking, but we have to remember we have an attack with absolutely zero pace generally - so getting out when you are being out passed is very, very difficult. It's an absolute priority we add some legs and pace to the final third this month.

It's been an encouraging month though, disappointing against West Ham but we were due one of those. Looking at getting some good points in the next run of fixtures, if we play as we have been then that will come.

Went to the game last night and was delighted to come away with a point. Not just because it was away to Chelsea but that the expectation of earning a point in such a game is now more realistic under Ralph. The defence was pretty solid and Gunn looked a class act. The thing that I do find frustrating is that we frequently do the difficult things well (tackling, blocking, tracking and sometimes even scoring!) and the simpler tasks poorly. I'm referring in particular to throw-ins, short passing and to being dispossessed when dithering on the ball. I read somewhere this week that Liverpool have their own throw-in coach (much like Clive Woodward did for England Rugby by employing the services of a professional darts player to teach his line out throwers to throw straight). We seem to take forever to take a throw-in (which will soon result in a booking if we carry on) because there is no-one making themselves available to receive it in a good position. We nearly always lose possession from our own throw. Our short passing and ball retention is at times woeful and must improve if we are to prevent teams dominating possession against us. That said, we have improved a great deal and I'm sure Ralph will have identified our weaknesses and work on them. Finally, a big shout to JWP who I thought had a really good game last night. He was up for the fight and he and Romeu worked tirelessly in midfield. I am confident that we have enough in the tank to survive with what we currently have without having to add significantly to an over bloated squad and a huge wage bill.

Excellent result, yes we may be in the bottom 3 but we've definitely turned a corner and we are still very much in touch.

If you'd have offered me 4 points from Arse and Citeh at home and Chelski away I'd have bitten your hand off.

Ralph has navigated a nasty set of fixtures and come out of it with 7 points, fantastic effort.

Onwards and upwards!

According to the Match commentator, JWP's last 12 appearances have resulted in 4 draws and 8 losses. If only he was a Japanese international?

played well last night and thats not something I say lightly. 10 mean behind the ball will have helped as it reduced the space he needed to cover, but he but himself about and retained possession well.

So this is where we are now. Are we supposed to rejoice because we held Chelsea to a 0-0 with the high pressing tactic of putting 11 men behind the ball?

We are losing touch with even Palace and Brighton now. Only six teams left in the dogfight really. For all Ralph's bombast, I can't see a way out of this mess unless by some miracle we buy a couple of fast wingers of world class in January and that is about as likely as snow in August in Southampton

So this is where we are now. Are we supposed to rejoice because we held Chelsea to a 0-0 with the high pressing tactic of putting 11 men behind the ball?

We are losing touch with even Palace and Brighton now. Only six teams left in the dogfight really. For all Ralph's bombast, I can't see a way out of this mess unless by some miracle we buy a couple of fast wingers of world class in January and that is about as likely as snow in August in Southampton

You do know that only 3 go down right, we are only 2 points off the pace and have played 2 of the top 6 in the 2 games played in the 2nd half of the season? You can’t see any possible way out of this however remote? Really you can’t?

My word bed wetter of the week award goes to charlie Farley

How did you find the match? You were there, right?

I can't see a way out of this mess unless by some miracle we buy a couple of fast wingers of world class in January and that is about as likely as snow in August in Southampton

...you're old enough to remember that summer in 1975 when it snowed right? OK, so it was in Birmingham, but strange things do happen and it wouldn't be beyond the realms of normality for us to sign someone in January that gives us a lift.