Chelsea 0-0 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Very good point. No one would have gave us a chance.

Defended very well. Poor going forward, Valery is the obvious fish out of water, Cedric wrong side.

That defensive display is miles ahead of the trash we have seen this season. Shame Burnley won ffs

Excellent!

Every single one of them put a shift in tonight. None stop running and covering for each other. Trying to get the ball back.

Valery up against Hazard did superb. He didn't have any influence on the game. Romeu getting stuck in. Bednerak and Vester being mostly solid. Gunn did well.

But my motm has to be Yoshi. Got some quality tackles in, saved us from that corner we had they broke from. And was talking to the players all the way through the game. Giving orders.

Well done lads.

Just shows that we can't play at that intensity every match - especially at this time of the season.

Superb performance tonight and a great point. Yes, we have dropped back into the bottom three tonight but plenty to look forward to in 2019 from what I can see.

Our three CBs were excellent. Yoshida my MotM. Gunn very assured PL debut. Convinced we'll get enough points to be safe well before May. Just need a couple of astute signings in the window. If we could pull another Mane out of the hat we'd win far more games than we lose.

Great effort.

Well played linesman. Well played Moss for ignoring that cock Alonso.

Yoshida man of the match. Absolutely immense.

Gunn showed excellent positioning, although the saves werr routine, mostly.

Long did better than Ings, although he still remains the clumsiest footballer around.

Armstrong and Redmond did well but they both lack that final star quality in the last third. The difference between a Mane and a Redmond.

Romeu and JWP were ok although once again the opposition bypassed our entire midfield with one simple ball when we had an attacking deadball (throw-in in forward right position).

Valery did his job admirably against Hazard and Vestergaard was excellent. Bednarek steady, as usual.

Cedric grew into the game in the second half but turd quality on the ball in the final third.

Great point, though.

Just shows that we can't play at that intensity every match - especially at this time of the season.

Superb performance tonight and a great point. Yes, we have dropped back into the bottom three tonight but plenty to look forward to in 2019 from what I can see.

And we won’t have to play Chelsea or city again this season.

Very, very good defensive performance tonight. Not much going forward, as you’d expect, but very solid at the back.

Jan, Jan and Maya were immense

Vallery was a weak link, but up against Hazard, anyone would look shaky.

JWP and Romeu were rocks in the mid too; even JWP putting his foot in and playing the simple ball

The front 3 were full of running but ultimately a thankless game for them all really.

Gunn made some vital stops and looked more experienced than his years and cap count should.

Loved hearing Ralph on the sidelines too marshalling the team and telling them

What to do and when to press

Massive point in the context of the season

Excellent effort, organisation and concentration throughout. Yoshida brilliant, will miss him just as he’s coming into a run of form. We need some out and out jet heeled pace in our attack to stand a realistic chance of scoring in games like that.

Great defensive display. Pretty woeful going forward. Loved Armstrong's running. He gives everything and was our only out ball. Romeu ran himself into the ground. Not having an option from the bench almost cost us. JWP had a greta game. He put himself about a lot more than I have seen for some time. Chelsea were quite slow and ponderous, which helped.

A well organised and disciplined defensive display, at last. Back 3 looking more and more comfortable with each other now and they've all cut out the awful individual errors we were seeing so frequently.

Very little threat in attack, but that's down to the lack of pace from the wide men mostly, and having to rely on Shane Long as a lone striker doesn't help matters either, but he's a good option if your objective is to grind out a 0-0.

Very impressed with Gunn. I think McCarthy will have quite a battle to get back in now after that display. He wasn't seriously tested, but he was composed, saved everything you would expect him to, and knew when to come off his line early to snuff out a threat. We haven't seen that from a Saints keeper in quite some time (since Boruc, perhaps?).

Disappointing that Burnley have leapfrogged us tonight (although you would expect them to beat a 10-man Huddersfield) and dropped us into the bottom 3, but there are more positives to take from tonight than negatives IMO. If we can carry on playing like that we will soon overtake Cardiff at least.

Gunn's played 4 for Saints, all away from home against PL opponents, and has 3 clean sheets. A late Theo Walcott break away goal is the only time he's been beaten.

I think he's a really solid keeper in the making. Not spectacular, but does the basics calmly and with a touch of extra quality - a Van Der Saar type.

Well played, chaps.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Valery struggled. Not close enough, too easy to get past. Occasional tackle but not committed enough or sharp enough.

I thought he got better as the game went on. He doesn't seem to have much zip, and thus looks casual, but he is physically strong and comfortable on the ball.

Really disciplined display.

Yoshi was top drawer but whole defense did well. Valery did very well against hazard.

Need Bertrand back though.

Jwp showed that he can play in a 2.

Going forward we got into some decent positions but fell apart too easily.

Gunn the sweeper keeper impressive too.

My mood would have darkened if alonso’s Cheating at the end had conned the ref.