Chelsea 0-0 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

What a point! Despite Ralphs influence I did not expect that

Burnley's win more an indication of how poor Huddersfield are. Cant see them staying up now and still think Cardiff will drop back in. Who will fill the last place? Palace on a run and Burnley getting results, could it be Fulham or Newcastle? January will be an interesting window

Fulham Cardiff and Huddersfield are the three worst teams, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they will be relegated.

I think with Ralph we’ll be fine in the league, so i’d Love an fa cup run.

I would love a Cup run too but I don't think we are not safe from relegation yet so I don't think we should put our top team out v Derby

As someone posted we need 8 to 10 points in our next five games and cannot really afford to lose to Cardiff Palace or Burnley

An excellent performance from us throughout. It begins to look as if Ralph had selected the weaker team against City so that we stood more of a chance against Chelsea by resting some players. This team was back to what they did right against Arsenal, closing them down, denying them space, pressing high up the pitch, hunting for the ball in packs, everything that a team of quality individuals like Chelsea's doesn't like. The fact that we were able to field much the same players for the majority of the match and that they were able to maintain the intensity is testament to an improvement in their fitness under Hasenhuttl.

Three centre backs was the right way to defend against a team like Chelsea and they were immense tonight, especially Yoshida. Gunn look very assured behind them, and Romeu and J W-P provided good midfield cover, with Armstrong and Redmond very tenacious ahead of them. Ings hadn't been getting much service, so a switch to Long didn't add much going forward, but his pace would be a threat from the ball over the top, but also an asset if needed to track back into defence. The full backs largely stopped Chelsea marauding down the flanks. Valerie dealt well with Hazard, who is their game-changer. Cedric although on the wrong wing, is solid defensively and got forward well, although his crossing was awry.

As the match progressed, Chelsea became more and more frustrated and resorted to shots from distance which didn't trouble Gunn. Also we kept the crowd quiet and it was our fans who could be heard more often than not. All in all, a very satisfactory result for us, when most would not have expected us to not only gain a point, but also to keep a clean sheet.

I get the weird feeling that had we had Hojbjerg available, Bertrand fit on the left, Cedric on the right, That might just have pushed us over the line to sneaking a win.

Just one incident I wondered about; our free kick just outside their area, J W-P steps up, and Vestergaard gesticulating quite clearly and several times that he felt the Chelsea players weren't back ten yerds, or that they had encroached over the line. It certainly didn't look anything like 10 yards to me, although the camera angle can distort the perspective.

A run of easier fixtures ahead now, so let's chalk up some wins and get some confidence and momentum running through the side.

An excellent performance from us throughout. It begins to look as if Ralph had selected the weaker team against City so that we stood more of a chance against Chelsea by resting some players. This team was back to what they did right against Arsenal, closing them down, denying them space, pressing high up the pitch, hunting for the ball in packs, everything that a team of quality individuals like Chelsea's doesn't like. The fact that we were able to field much the same players for the majority of the match and that they were able to maintain the intensity is testament to an improvement in their fitness under Hasenhuttl.

Three centre backs was the right way to defend against a team like Chelsea and they were immense tonight, especially Yoshida. Gunn look very assured behind them, and Romeu and J W-P provided good midfield cover, with Armstrong and Redmond very tenacious ahead of them. Ings hadn't been getting much service, so a switch to Long didn't add much going forward, but his pace would be a threat from the ball over the top, but also an asset if needed to track back into defence. The full backs largely stopped Chelsea marauding down the flanks. Valerie dealt well with Hazard, who is their game-changer. Cedric although on the wrong wing, is solid defensively and got forward well, although his crossing was awry.

As the match progressed, Chelsea became more and more frustrated and resorted to shots from distance which didn't trouble Gunn. Also we kept the crowd quiet and it was our fans who could be heard more often than not. All in all, a very satisfactory result for us, when most would not have expected us to not only gain a point, but also to keep a clean sheet.

I get the weird feeling that had we had Hojbjerg available, Bertrand fit on the left, Cedric on the right, That might just have pushed us over the line to sneaking a win.

Just one incident I wondered about; our free kick just outside their area, J W-P steps up, and Vestergaard gesticulating quite clearly and several times that he felt the Chelsea players weren't back ten yerds, or that they had encroached over the line. It certainly didn't look anything like 10 yards to me, although the camera angle can distort the perspective.

A run of easier fixtures ahead now, so let's chalk up some wins and get some confidence and momentum running through the side.

They was a good 2 yards over the spray when Vest was being very animated about it, but the ref waved it away, as JWP ran up to take his free kick all of them ran towards JWP, they must have been at most 5 yards from the line / spray that the ref marked as 10 yards...…. they all should have been carded and JWP allowed to retake the free kick, I think that is why he just blasted it right at the wall

Great performance. There were 10/10 performances from Yoshida and Gunn but the whole team played well together and have clearly been very well drilled by Ralph in training.

Yoshida has played in our 3 best performances under Ralph: the wins v Arsenal and Huddersfield and the draw tonight. We miss him badly when he doesn't play.

Yoshida not getting picked was the most baffling part of the first few months of the season under Hughes. Was bizarre how he continued to be ignored despite consistently poor performances from the likes of Hoedt.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On the way back. Great point, with a bit more quality in the final third it could have been three.

All 3 CBs were grest, plus Gunn.

Valery kept to his task against Hazard, he definitely has something.

Cedric put a shift in at LWB despite it not being his preferred side. Certainly a far, far better option than Ramsay and I prefer him to Targett even on the left.

JWP fought hard, even if he and Romeu did get sliced open at times.

Stuey was very good.

Long was dreadful on the ball - he really shouldn't be playing PL football.

Defence gear - particularly Yoshida and Valary were great. Our play going forwards was slow, predictable, toothless etc. I think Armstrong tried his best, but Redmond and Long were just not up to the level required of the Prem. And they never will be. New blood urgently needed.

A

We need more threat going forward from our wing backs. Valery and Target or Cedric on the wrong side don't cut the mustard at all. Romeu runs out of steam at around 65 minutes, so Hoj would have been handy even off the bench.

Ralph Hasenhüttl praised a huge collective fight as Southampton battled to their way to a valuable point during a 0-0 draw with Chelsea in the Premier League.

The Saints boss made eight changes from the game against Manchester City, as fresh legs returned to the side following a busy festive fixture schedule.

And Hasenhüttl was delighted as a first clean sheet since October made it a solid start to the new year.

“It’s an important point for us and I’m very happy that we gave such an amazing fight today. I think it was awesome how much passion and willingness the players gave in this game,” he reflected.

“It was an amazing job they did today and we deserved to take one point against a very good Chelsea.

“The match plan was not easy to put on the pitch but if we do it for 95 minutes and we have the freshness then we are not so easy to score against and we can defend very well. The players always try to make sure there are plenty of people around the ball which is hard work but against the ball we did an amazing job.

“It was important for our supporters that they saw a team on the pitch who is fighting for their lives and I think we showed that in every minute of the game.

“The table at the moment is not so important. I know that we have took an important point against a big team, which is not so easy here.

“The others have to come here and we now have played Manchester City and Chelsea and we’ve taken one point which is ok.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-02/ralph-hasenhuttl-post-match-chelsea-southampton-premier-league-1819

Defence gear - particularly Yoshida and Valary were great. Our play going forwards was slow, predictable, toothless etc. I think Armstrong tried his best, but Redmond and Long were just not up to the level required of the Prem. And they never will be. New blood urgently needed.
I'm not sure what people expect against the likes of Chelsea. We are in a relegation battle and playing one of the top teams away from home. Of course our attacking is going to be pointless as we sacrificed most of that to defend for our lives and look for the win.

Back from the game.

Deserved point; if anything, thought we shaded the second half.

Armstrong was excellent. Had a burst of acceleration and pace that I didn’t think he possessed. Yoshida and Gunn were also very good.

Romeu and JWP battled hard in CM, especially as Chelsea often had an extra body there. JWP, however, was largely poor on the ball as was Valery. We really need reinforcements at the fullback position as Valery is still very raw.

Long was Long with some utterly woeful first touches but he unsettled Chelsea more than Ings did and Redmond and Armstrong were much less isolated when Long was on the pitch.

Edited by shurlock

Great point, well organised and improved in 2nd half. Poor passing especially 1st half bought needless pressure on ourselves. Not great up top today but they worked hard defensively.

Marks IMO:

Gunn 9

Valery 7

Yoshida 10

Vestergaard 8

Bednerek 9

Cedric 6

JWP 8

Romeu 8

Armstrong 7

Redmond 6

Ings 5

Subs:

Long 6

Austin 6

Stephens n/a

MOTM Yoshida, best game in a saints shirt possibly.

Really pleased with that result! Huge boost for morale and confidence, despite dropping into the bottom three. Great to have the spirit and commitment of Yoshida back in defence, with Vestergaard and Bednarek also doing well and Gunn justifying his inclusion. Increasingly optimistic that we can finish above at least three teams this season, even though a few of our possible relegation rivals have started stringing some results together.

nice to wake up to a point away to Chelsea. Feels like the first clean sheet in a while, Gunn seemed to do well and a good solid defensive effort!!

Hope we play a strong team against Derby as a win will be welcomed after a few games without one.

Edited by skintsaint

According to the commentator, Saints have won NONE games in the last 12 games that Ploddy has figured in.

According to the Commentator Prowsey's last 12 appearances have been 8 losses and 4 draws.

What a wonderful statistic for you tossers.

According to the commentator, Saints have won NONE games in the last 12 games that Ploddy has figured in.

According to the Commentator Prowsey's last 12 appearances have been 8 losses and 4 draws.

Who cares? He played pretty well and we got a great point. Haply days.

This is a good summary, albeit as a recent advocate of Redmond I thought he was as poor as Ings tonight. Back 3 looks a proper unit, such a shame Yoshi is off for a few weeks.

Always enjoy going to the Bridge. Quickest journey back ever despite dire warnings over the tannoy of “don’t go back via Fulham Broadway”. We hardly queued doubtless helped by mass exodus of Chelsea fans before the end!

Proper performance from the team this evening, JWP had a great game i thought, and the whole side did what ralph wanted of them. Must be honest i thought chelsea looked tired at times, not sue if that was our pressing or the winter schedule, but we seemed sharper to every ball.

Have to say though our support embarrassed ourselves tonight. I've seen a lot at games but the baby shark song... Every single one of you that sung that needs to stop going to games, that's worse than the Hull "mauled by the tigers" thing

Proper performance from the team this evening, JWP had a great game i thought, and the whole side did what ralph wanted of them. Must be honest i thought chelsea looked tired at times, not sue if that was our pressing or the winter schedule, but we seemed sharper to every ball.

Have to say though our support embarrassed ourselves tonight. I've seen a lot at games but the baby shark song... Every single one of you that sung that needs to stop going to games, that's worse than the Hull "mauled by the tigers" thing

Indeed. Hopefully that will fizzle out as a one game wonder from a bunch of weirdos.

Anyway, everyone has played two teams twice and for us that’s Chelsea and City. That can't be underestimated and I’m trying to ignore the table at present.

Just back from game, but forgive me Saints fans, I was sat in the Shed End Upper Tier in the Chelsea end with my Chelsea supporting mate right next to you guys!!! I was directly behind the goal, but would much rather have been in the corner with you all there.

Just my observations- we defended really well, and whilst we were terrible attacking (its chelsea away after all and we did have shane long for half the game- not quite a Vardy!) I do think this is a case of Ralph utilising the squad and playing what is best for the deck of cards he has been given, and that is what is required from now on in, to play the right hand depending on opponent.

Gunn had a good game, making standard routine saves. I actually thought JWP had a good game except the odd set piece or two (inc. the free kick), Yoshida, Jannik and Bednarek colossal, though Bednarek had a needless yellow annoyingly covering Jannik. The ref was decent in fairness, and Cedric/Valery had good games, even if Cedric was left wanting just once/twice on his left foot.

As for Chelsea, if you think our attack was toothless then well theirs was also just as bad, and think of how much they have spent- they didn’t have too much of a sniff at goal really. My mate says he thinks on that game that we really shouldn’t go down and I’m very inclined to agree.

On one final note, nice for Shane Long to give his shirt away, Kepa (the Chelsea GK) is a pri*k for trying to force Cedric to get up and then get frustrated for it- that was classless, and also- can I make the build up threads again ;)

:lol:

Was that the inspiration for the gunn song? I thought the vertical clapping was bad and weird enough. Seemed to be loads behind me top left doing it and it went on for a while before someone started shouting at them and an uneasy ceasefire ensued with the le tiss song.

:lol:

Was that the inspiration for the gunn song? I thought the vertical clapping was bad and weird enough. Seemed to be loads behind me top left doing it and it went on for a while before someone started shouting at them and an uneasy ceasefire ensued with the le tiss song.

What the f-ing hell is the baby shark song? Asking for a friend...

What the f-ing hell is the baby shark song? Asking for a friend...

Some bizarro-cutesy educational jingle for Asian preschoolers that went viral globally.

It started at the back of the stand but also spread to the parts of the front too. A proper freak show not least because those who were doing it seemed so satisfied with themselves.

Quite interesting that there is nearly no discussion about the Penalty incident - if People really wanted the one on JWP given vs. City, then for sure they have to demand that one being given too...

Same arguments: It was a slight push in the back, Long was on the wrong side of the ball, there was no yellow Card for diving so it has to be a foul.

I personally don't want penalties like that given for or against us.

Quite interesting that there is nearly no discussion about the Penalty incident - if People really wanted the one on JWP given vs. City, then for sure they have to demand that one being given too...

Same arguments: It was a slight push in the back, Long was on the wrong side of the ball, there was no yellow Card for diving so it has to be a foul.

My heart was in my mouth. Alonso is such a cheat. Credit to the lino and ref for not succumbing. Perhaps here their unconscious sides rather admired our spirit and collective attitude, as opposed to the normal bias for the big club. Feels a bit rough on us to be in the bottom three as a reward for that endeavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does it have to be one or the other ?

There are comings-together throughout matches and not every situation is necessarily defined by a yellow !

TBF there have been many contentious decisions of this type lately and it seems that Liverpool in particular get the rub of the green !!

We need more threat going forward from our wing backs. Valery and Target or Cedric on the wrong side don't cut the mustard at all. Romeu runs out of steam at around 65 minutes, so Hoj would have been handy even off the bench.
Been saying the same re the wingbacks if we buy anything in Jan at least one speedie wingback is a must ( assuming we get a fit Bertrand back) to get the best out of the system Ralph has decided to play.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I wish I had a word to describe you but you have used the most accurate one..

Thought we were excellent tonight.

Scoring 4, conceding 5 and getting 4 points against Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea was unthinkable under Hughes we have improved massively under Hassenhuttl.

It looks like we have finally settled on our CBs which, Vestergarrd, Bednarek and Yosh were excellent, probably Vestergarrd and Yoshs best games in a Saints shirt for us last night. There is no way back for Hoedt imho.

Cedric was good and is a better option than Target at left back even if he looked as though he lacked a bit of match sharpness.

Thought it was valerys best game for us too, I’d like to see him keep his position as he looks to be improving game by game, very raw still but has only played 7 premier league games and last night he was up against one of the best players in the world who was kept quiet for the majority of the game.

Romeu also looks to be back to the player who came into the team just after Wanyama left, he doesn’t offer a great deal going forward but works tirelessly and when Hojbjerg is back we will regain that attacking intent that was maybe a bit lacking last night.

JWP had a good game although I don’t think Hassenhuttls style of play will suit JWP. He looked hurried in possession which resulted in a few misplace paces. Defensively he was getting stuck in and covered ALLOT of ground but he’s always needed an extra few seconds on the back to take a touch, if we’re looking to break quickly and play forward with a touch or two that slowness in possession will be exposed and he’ll frustrate more and more. Hojbjerg used to be similar in that respect but that part of PEH has improved where as JWP is still relatively 1 paced in possession.

I think Redmond and Armstrong had really good games, Armstrong especially. If Armstrong’s form continues in this vein then he’ll be classed as a good signing. He showed a turn of pace last night that I’ve not seen before and we have an obvious first choice front 3 of Armstrong, Redmond and Ings now.

Quick word for Redmond who I think offers a valuable outlet, his pace has the opposition defence sat a yard or two deeper which helps when breaking, he didn’t offer much of a goal threat last night but was a big part of the teams performance last night. Think he’s probably been our second best player this season behind Hojbjerg, it’s a shame he’s a bit of a fans whipping boy at times.

Ings\Long were largely kept quiet, the game probably suited Long more as we looked to hit them on the break and run into space. Long, like Redmond works tirelessly and gives the defenders something to think about over the likes of Austin but isn’t really a goal threat.

Gunn excellent, after Hassenhuttls comments after the game I think we may be seeing a new number 1.

Looking back to when Hughes was fired, our results have been better than we could have expected with 4 points from Arsenal and Chelsea. Yet the fact that we now sit in the bottom 3 indicates just how dire our position was then. Having taken these points off top6 sides we should have the confidence to beat the relegation rivals and mid table clubs. Interesting that Betfair's odds on our survival, show at least 5 teams with a better chance of relegation than us, even though we are 3rd from bottom. Hopefully the owners have the sense to provide enough funds to RalphH.

It looks like we have finally settled on our CBs which, Vestergarrd, Bednarek and Yosh were excellent, probably Vestergarrd and Yoshs best games in a Saints shirt for us last night. There is no way back for Hoedt imho.

With Yoshida away now for the Asia Cup then something will have to change from the 'settled CB's' unfortunately. Assume Stephens will get the nod but that may mean Hoedt on the bench although Bertrand should be available soon so maybe Ralph will try something there?

A very useful point in the long run, not many of the sides in our position will get anything there. The confidence a (well overdue) clean sheet will bring will be huge too. Very impressed by all three CB's, JWP and Romeu. Proper shift put in by everyone.

Most encouraging aspect about this is that we are looking so much better without our first choice full backs. Once we get Bertrand back and possibly a new RB, we will hopefully do even better.

I know the atmosphere at St Mary's is generally pretty poor, but don't think the Chelsea fans sang or chanted a single thing all night.

Yoshida quite rightly getting plaudits but I was equally impressed with Bednarek last night. His positioning and awareness was top notch - without it there would have been a number of occasions when Chelsea (and usually Hazard) would have been clean through.

Watching MOTD last night, perhaps Gunn's saves were simpler than they looked live, but notwithstanding that I thought he had an impeccable game in the way he was always well positioned and quick off his line to snuff out any danger.

Cedric was poor, probably our worst player, but after a few weeks out it's no surprise he was looking rusty, and was also playing on his weaker side. Valery looks too half hearted most of the time for my liking - coud just be confidence but not as convinced as some people are about him. That being said, he was up against Hazard and Alonso today, perhaps his reluctance to get forward and demand the ball was just being wary of being caught upfield.

Romeu had a typically-Oriol good game. JWP was excellent too I thought, best I can remember him playing in a while, really put himself about. Redmond ran himself into the ground and always looked a threat but it's a shame he doesn't possess much pace. I like Armstrong's directness. He's a bit rough round the edges but he causes defenders problems and it's important to have someone with an eye for goal. Ings was disappointing but good that Ralph saw that and made the change early, considering how good and how important Ings has been for us to date - lots of managers would have left him on in hope.

The game highlighted the gulf in class between the two sets of players though. So many of our attacks broke down because of sloppy passes or poor first touches. How many times did we give the ball away from our own throw in? Chelsea nearly scored from one that we had near their corner flag! When you have better players, the ball is under control and everything is crisper and faster. We just don't have that - hopefully understanding the system will give players more confidence and that will improve.

All in all a great evening, even better leaving the house at 7:15 and being home by 10! Certainly reasons to be optimistic for the rest of the season, but there's still work to be done.