Chelsea 0-0 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Gunn's played 4 for Saints, all away from home against PL opponents, and has 3 clean sheets. A late Theo Walcott break away goal is the only time he's been beaten.

I think he's a really solid keeper in the making. Not spectacular, but does the basics calmly and with a touch of extra quality - a Van Der Saar type.

Well played, chaps.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Also very quick off his line, like having a sweeper. Positioning also miles better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunn looked quality, so calm. Pleased with all of the players and the pressing was maintained. Hope Cedric injury only minor in case Ralph needs to sell plus Cedric himself.

Disappointing to be in bottom three but now played Chelsea and City twice, and the club ought to be aiming at not just Burnley but also that group with Newcastle, Cardiff etc. Palace are on a run now but gap only 6 points to them.

I thought he got better as the game went on. He doesn't seem to have much zip, and thus looks casual, but he is physically strong and comfortable on the ball.

Just not closing down or close enough for my liking. Watch again and crosses from the opposition could be taken at leisure. Very casual imo.

Plenty of potential I'm sure but needs a coffee before kickoff or something if he's to get close enough.

4 PTs better off than anyone would have predicted from the Xmas run and with good signs. Tiredness going forward clearly a massive issue over the last few games but we scraped something today which is a massive achievement. Hopefully the positional issues get sorted, a RB and ideally a replacement for Hoedt minimum.

Just not closing down or close enough for my liking. Watch again and crosses from the opposition could be taken at leisure. Very casual imo.

Plenty of potential I'm sure but needs a coffee before kickoff or something if he's to get close enough.

No offence, but I think that's ********. He did really well tonight, up against one of the best 3 players in the league.

Excellent team performance. A very well earned point and we could have snatched all 3 with a bit of luck. Chelsea had to revert to nasty and cheating tactics in an attempt to win the match.

Absolutely every player did their bit today; not a single poor performance. However, the standout ones were Yoshida, Vestergard, Gunn, and Armstrong (especially 2nd half). I also thought Valery had a very good first half.

MoM - Maya Yoshida

Gunn's played 4 for Saints, all away from home against PL opponents, and has 3 clean sheets. A late Theo Walcott break away goal is the only time he's been beaten.

I think he's a really solid keeper in the making. Not spectacular, but does the basics calmly and with a touch of extra quality - a Van Der Saar type.

Well played, chaps.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

To be fair, he atoned by saving Theo's penalty that night though.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The one negative I would take, and obviously understandable why, is that we were somewhat toothless in attack.

We had to sacrifice attacking threat for defensive organisation I thought. If we had tried to commit more players forward in attack we would have got mauled by Hazard & co. Worth the trade off IMO.

If we had pacier wide men and a midfield who could pass better, it might have been different.

Decent result, good team performance. If we can take (unexpected) points here and there away and win some of our home games, we can secure our status.

Wished we could have played positive but we must be realistic. Defensive unit was strong and Yoshida, as the spare man, moping away anything dangerous was important tonight.

Young Valery is a little limited but can only get better. Armstrong and Romeu were again busy and industrious - Redmond, Cedric and JWP average but didn't do too much wrong.

Not too sure why Ings was replaced at half time but I hope that keeps him fresh for our home game.

Pretty useful our goalie... good competition... COYS

Brilliant performance, 3 CB's all outstanding, that tackle from Yoshi at the end was majestic. JWP did really well up against Kante I thought, Romeu also good (albeit occasionally ponderous on the ball). Never had a problem with McCarthy, in fact a big fan, but Gunn looked very good tonight - always on the front foot and positionally brilliant.

We had to sacrifice attacking threat for defensive organisation I thought. If we had tried to commit more players forward in attack we would have got mauled by Hazard & co. Worth the trade off IMO.

If we had pacier wide men and a midfield who could pass better, it might have been different.

Absolutely. But I am still hankering after the Koeman team where we hit all teams, big or small. Chelsea 1-3 Saints. #livinginthepast

Absolutely. But I am still hankering after the Koeman team where we hit all teams, big or small. Chelsea 1-3 Saints. #livinginthepast

Should we stay up and Ralph get a full preseason I could see us kicking on and being able to be on the front foot more in games.

All in all a solid display. A little more precision in our forward movements and we could have taken three points.

Great performance. There were 10/10 performances from Yoshida and Gunn but the whole team played well together and have clearly been very well drilled by Ralph in training.

Yoshida has played in our 3 best performances under Ralph: the wins v Arsenal and Huddersfield and the draw tonight. We miss him badly when he doesn't play.

Great performance. There were 10/10 performances from Yoshida and Gunn but the whole team played well together and have clearly been very well drilled by Ralph in training.

Yoshida has played in our 3 best performances under Ralph: the wins v Arsenal and Huddersfield and the draw tonight. We miss him badly when he doesn't play.

well he goes away for the Asia Cup now doesn’t he ?

Anyone questioning Valery tonight didn’t watch the game. Had Alonso and Hazard up against him all game and limited them to very little. JWP and Yoshida impressive too.

Gunn will now become our number one. The difference was noticeable and have been calling for him to have a chance for a while.

Good performance that. Really good.Organised, professional, hard working.Very encouraging.

This. Well deserved. Hasenhutl will have learned more about his squad too...Yoshida class, Redmond has class needs polishing, Gunn better than McCarthy, Vestergard can play well when paired with a fast CB partner, Romeu solid, Bednarak capable will improve - Valery needs more bite / confidence, Cedric...hmm, has fight but too easily beaten for high balls and no end cross / shot 'up or out...Long - we need more than a willing runner...Austin, has guts and attitude, possible impact sub when we need to play hoof ball into the area, otherwise not PL....JWP just not adding enough (criminal waste of our best dead ball chance - shouldn't happen at this level)

Excellent gritty defensive display.

Yoshida easily MOTM but Vestergaard, Bednarek and Valery also very solid and an impressive PL debut from Gunn. Cedric was appalling though, he needs replacing.

Very good point, just a shame Burnley won.

What a point! Despite Ralphs influence I did not expect that

Burnley's win more an indication of how poor Huddersfield are. Cant see them staying up now and still think Cardiff will drop back in. Who will fill the last place? Palace on a run and Burnley getting results, could it be Fulham or Newcastle? January will be an interesting window

yeah I'm with you, his laid back approach unnerves me, but at the same time, get too tight and Hazard skips past you.

Surely that business at the end has to be either a dive or a foul. We all know which one it was but surely, with the touch on the back, you have to give either a penalty or a yellow card for simulation?

Less of a pen than ours vs city

This. Well deserved. Hasenhutl will have learned more about his squad too...Yoshida class, Redmond has class needs polishing, Gunn better than McCarthy, Vestergard can play well when paired with a fast CB partner, Romeu solid, Bednarak capable will improve - Valery needs more bite / confidence, Cedric...hmm, has fight but too easily beaten for high balls and no end cross / shot 'up or out...Long - we need more than a willing runner...Austin, has guts and attitude, possible impact sub when we need to play hoof ball into the area, otherwise not PL....JWP just not adding enough (criminal waste of our best dead ball chance - shouldn't happen at this level)

that free kick in which the wall was only 5 yards away as JWP's foot hit the ball with the ref giving them clear signs he seen the Chelsea wall over the line before the free kick was taken ( With Vest being very animated while clearing indicating to the ref who waved it off )........ is it not a yellow card offense for not being 10 yards and a retake of the free kick?.

All very admirable....but in the bottom 3 and 2 points from safety.

Here’s hoping for a good return from the forthcoming games.

And the possibility of some good business in January might just help.

You are a mess

Nonsense, he did well. Ex pro analyst mentioned how well he did on Sky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What would an ex Pro know about football..........you must know the drill on here: if they come out of the Academy they are a steaming pile of crud, and we should have squirted a heap of dosh on a some bloke most have never heard of that "Man U were interested in" = their scout left before Half Time having run a pencil through his name. :D

I thought he did well too, didnt seem fazed by Hazard and his immense ability to make far more experienced players look stupid. Some wag on here mithered about his Cedric'esk cross high across the box but the damn thing went out for a corner to us.

Rome wasn't built in a day but given the frequency of games and the disappointments of WH and City, I thought we looked tight, disciplined, and well drilled. Get Derby out of the way and we have a clear week to work on stuff and get climbing out of the mire.

Gunn was good, Maya too, I thought Jan was pretty damn good too, shame he was carded after being exposed through faffing about by Vestergaard. We really do need some power up front, Shane Long is like a broken teacup that has been glued together but with one or two bits missing so the ball just leaks through him just like Tea would if poured into the cup. Charlie Austin needs it on a plate, and Ings ain't getting any change out of the game if he ain't getting any viable service of assistance. Hopefully Obafemi mends soon and Gallagher gets to take the chance when it comes.

Edited by John Boy Saint