Derby v Saints (FA Cup - 3rd Round) Build Up and match thread

SuperSAINT

Ralph from Part 2 of Presser.

- Gunn will play vs Derby

- Stephens in for Yoshida.

- Targett rested and will come back.

- Bertrand should start training tomorrow.

- Hesketh was involved in today's session - We will decide whether he stays or goes back out on loan.

- Decision still to be made on Harrison Reed.

Interesting re Reed - I thought it was a season loan so no recall. If he can come back, I think he's a player who would suit the RH style.

I reckon we'll see Slattery start this one with Vokins on the bench with at least one other new face, perhaps Smallbone and a guest spot on the bench for a random keeper - perhaps Lewis. Hoedt to get a game - we need CB's with Yoshida away and he needs match time. My guess for what it's worth.

Gunn

Ramsay Stephens Hoedt Targett

Slattery Romeu

Armstrong JWP Mo

Obafemi (if fit)

Bench: who knows but some of Lewis, Vokins, Smallbone, Johnson and Reed (if he's back).

We'll win.

They'll be 20,000 empty seats there for this game, maybe they're all fearing a shark attack from 3000 visiting pairs of flappy arms. This could be up there with the 'Lallana Wave'...............
Please tell me this hasn't started happening at away games...?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Team for this should essentially be anyone who isn't going to feature against Leicester. Focus should be 100% on safety.

There's a week between the two games. No need to rest everyone.

My guess is that Bednarek might get a rest as he's played virtually every minute under Ralph, I think. Sounds like Targett is back, which is good, so Cedric can play RB. Probably a back 3 of Stephens, Vestergaard and Ramsey.

I'm guessing JWP will continue in CM. Romeu probably rested.

Slattery and Armstrong behind Long.

Just a guess.

Team for this should essentially be anyone who isn't going to feature against Leicester. Focus should be 100% on safety.

Players need to maintain Match Fitness ... sitting on their ar$es every other weekend isn't going to help. Derby may well view promotion as a priority and field a weak team, we could take advantage get into a commanding position and then rest some players if necessary. Winning games breeds confidence and a feel good factor. Putting youngsters into an inexperienced line up and getting beaten could be detrimental to their confidence, plus adding the need to bring on senior players from the bench to chase the game, which could lead to more chances of an injury.

We don't have any midweek matches until end of the month and that is after the next round of the cup which could be a blank weekend if we don't get through, meaning a possibility of a 12 day break!!

If players can't manage 1 game a week, then they shouln't be starting at all, with the obvious exclusion of anybody carrying knocks of course.

Cup matches are the ONLY chance of any sort of success teams like us have .... why treat them with such distain and disrespect for the fans who have made the journey. Many of the matches in my Top Ten ever have been at away Cup games.

Plus I'm free for FA Cup Final weekend this year :lol:

Players need to maintain Match Fitness ... sitting on their ar$es every other weekend isn't going to help. Derby may well view promotion as a priority and field a weak team, we could take advantage get into a commanding position and then rest some players if necessary. Winning games breeds confidence and a feel good factor. Putting youngsters into an inexperienced line up and getting beaten could be detrimental to their confidence, plus adding the need to bring on senior players from the bench to chase the game, which could lead to more chances of an injury.

We don't have any midweek matches until end of the month and that is after the next round of the cup which could be a blank weekend if we don't get through, meaning a possibility of a 12 day break!!

If players can't manage 1 game a week, then they shouln't be starting at all, with the obvious exclusion of anybody carrying knocks of course.

Cup matches are the ONLY chance of any sort of success teams like us have .... why treat them with such distain and disrespect for the fans who have made the journey. Many of the matches in my Top Ten ever have been at away Cup games.

Plus I'm free for FA Cup Final weekend this year :lol:

Exactly.

Would also appreciate any advice about where to park. Cheers.

Go to Derby quite frequently as my brother and his family live there.

You could park in Pride Park itself, the velodrome is 2 mins walk away. There are lots of restaurants on the Park; Pizza Hut, beefeater, chiquito etc.

You could also park in Intu- the shopping centre which is only about 10 min walk away, and there are shedloads of eating places in there too.

Looking forward to a decent game of football.

Can't believe we have fans that would like to throw the game. Look to win, never go into any game looking to exit out.

Confidence breeds success and all that, besides which I love the cup.

That's surprising given its only £12 a ticket against an attractive big team from the Premier League, weve virtually sold out 3100 so song sheets for the game;

Weve got more fans than you

Angus Gunn do do do do do do

Whats it like to see a crowd

You're support is f8cking shlt

Road to Wembley starts here

You’ve forgotten;

I’ve got a shed, that’s bigger than this.....

.......Angus Gunn do do do do do do

The inside track article on OS says derby have a tendency struggle when opposition press them high up and rough them up a bit. However if Mount, Wilson and Marriott have time on ball then they are match for anyone.

From what I've seen of derby in carabao cup they were very impressive. Quick and fluid attacks.

Should be decent game. We clearly need to press which echoes what Ralph has said and wants to beat them.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

he's cuptied as he played for Burton at S****horpe in 1st round

Shame but at least he’s able to show Ralph what he offers in training.

No doubt we’ll freshen things up but given we’ve got a week till next game I hope we’ll play a reasonably strong team

It’ll be interesting to see which striker plays. Are gallagher or obafemi fit enough yet. I’d prefer it wasn’t toothless long but equally not sure I want us starting away with immobile Austin. Assume ings will be rested if he’s not 100%.

Saints U23s play this evening (vs Stoke at Staplewood) so that'll give us a pretty clear indication of which youngsters will be included in tomorrow's senior squad

0c5a369b51c21b4dbbde2e85d5583e29.jpg

Slattery / Afolabi / Barnes were all training with the first team so will be interesting to see if they feature.

Tyreke Johnson is def on the coach to Derby.

Stick to deep throating bananas, couldn’t give two ****s about my grammar on an Internet fourham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be cross, petal. I am simply trying to deduce if you feel that Derby will or will not be mugs? Maybe take a break for a bit, you're investing a little too much of yourself into this forum thing.

As an aside, Spurs taking their game fairly seriously.

At 6-0 up, Poch brings on Kane.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Daft to bring him on when Poch himself was saying his squad is stretched and had no chance to rest certain players over Xmas, Kane being one

Don't be cross, petal. I am simply trying to deduce if you feel that Derby will or will not be mugs? Maybe take a break for a bit, you're investing a little too much of yourself into this forum thing.

They will not be mugs but could be mugs. You dig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cabbage_Face

Really excited to see what level of involvement the youngster's have today. Could anyone have imagined having Tyreke Johnson, Kayne Ramsay, Callum Slattery, Matt Targett, Marcus Barnes all potentially starting for us in any game this season if asked a few months ago? Today would've just been full of all the underperforming first teamers normally.

ESPN+ are showing every game. Am using a paid sub (free trial) quality varies, started watching ManU which is SD at best but switched to Bompey and have an HD quality stream.

Hoping Saints is decent.

Paddy power website appears to be showing every cup game live. Perfect quality too

Can't quite work out what formation that is. 4-2-3-1 perhaps?

---------------Gunn---------------

Cedric Stephens Vestergaard Targett

---------Slattery---JWP------------

Redmond------------------Elyounoussi

-----------Long---Austin-------------