Southampton FC fan base, an embarrassment to the club.

SKD

WTF is wrong with a large section of our fan base? Why do we attract complete and utter dinlos (which to me seems more than any other club)?

In recent years We’ve had it all:

The hat guy who thinks he’s Indiana Jones when he goes football, with the mars bar on his head.

The face paint bloke in the EL

That bloke dancing to the light show at West Ham

And the worst of the lot for me, a number of grown men making shark signs last night.

(Probably missed loads from this list)

If these crimes were being committed by kids I could understand, but these are fully grown blokes (and other grown blokes laughing along). Of course they could have some sort of disability (maybe one or two have, which would be understandable, but unlikely they all do).

What can we do to stamp this behaviour out? It’s getting worse. I can’t remember it being this bad in L1 and the championship, or was that due to less publicity / use of twitter etc.?

WTF is wrong with a large section of our fan base? Why do we attract complete and utter dinlos (which to me seems more than any other club)?

The hat guy who thinks he’s Indiana Jones when he goes football, with the mars bar on his head.

And the worst of the lot for me, a number of grown men making shark signs last night.

If these crimes were being committed by kids I could understand, but these are fully grown blokes (and other grown blokes laughing along). Of course they could have some sort of disability (maybe one or two have, which would be understandable, but unlikely they all do).

What can we do to stamp this behaviour out? It’s getting worse. I can’t remember it being this bad in L1 and the championship, or was that due to less publicity / use of twitter etc.?

You missed out the fans that start embarrassing posts on internet message boards ;)

Agreed 100%, we seem to have a high proportion of mongs.

They pair their money like anyone else, what's it matter whether they wear face paint or not? I'm guessing because things are improving on the pitch, people have nothing to whinge about and therefore direct their attention to the ways in which fans support the team now?

LOL ! another supa fan telling others how to support their club, perhaps you should bring out a SFC Supporters handbook telling them they have to do it your way or they are banned.

Perhaps you should tell a few to knock it off while you are at the game, but I suggest you choose who you tell, carefully ;)

I'm intrigued by the shark signs, does anyone have any idea what this is all about? Better still a video so we can see for ourselves….

I'm intrigued by the shark signs, does anyone have any idea what this is all about? Better still a video so we can see for ourselves….

Google baby shark song, think of it in your head ( its a horrid song for little toddlers ) and put the words Angus Gunn doh doh doh and so on and so on and you got it :)

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/234521/shameful-night-at-stamford-bridge/#10

Be warned, ITs very very catching and gets stuck in your head for days.

Edited by Mosin

It really is quite incredible. I assume (probably wrongly) that these grown adults have jobs, a wife, perhaps some kids? Do they not look at themselves and think what the hell am I doing? The lack of self awareness is horrifying. In terms of that last night, I’d go as far as to say that every single one of them needs their hard drive checking. And don’t get me started on the stupid women who has made it go viral on Twitter and embarrassed the club even further.

The replies to this thread don’t really surprise me though. I urge everyone to have a look around them at their next away game, it really is soul destroying what you’ll see.

was there last night and a mate was trying his very best to start up the old songs, Woolston Ferry (how many verses) plus the other verses from OWTS... and many more, some I did not even know. Didnt really take off but that didnt deter him!

BUt it was a lot better than our one song we have at the moment, its all we sing FFS.

At the end of the day lots of different people pay to go to the football and have the right to support anyway they like.

While I'd be quite happy if SMS was filled with 18+ red blood males, holding red flares and chanting for 90+ minutes in a cauldron of barely contained meance that has officials and the opposing teams ****ting themselves it ain't happen.

So just do your own thing and stop stressing about what other people chose to do.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

You forgot to add all the "dinlos" who constantly sing about Pompey, even though we last played them in April 2012.

I never thought it could get worse than hat K*nt and the mars bar on head incident, then last night this happened.

I dont know this shark song, so have no idea if its a craze or not.

But that clip is ****ing horrendous, The worst thing I ever saw was the Hull City , tigers mauling thing. This may well have beaten it to the spazziest thing seen at a football match.

I dont know this shark song, so have no idea if its a craze or not.

But that clip is ****ing horrendous, The worst thing I ever saw was the Hull City , tigers mauling thing. This may well have beaten it to the spazziest thing seen at a football match.

According to that Twitter account it was the 'highlight of the night'. I'd have gone with the final whistle, maybe Yoshida's heroic block, or Gunn's last minute save from Jorginho. But yeah, I suppose "shark song & dance" is the real winner.

Another?

Following relegation, the next few years produced some of the best support I’ve seen us have. Unfortunately the only way for it to happen again is to go down which obviously isn’t ideal.

According to that Twitter account it was the 'highlight of the night'. I'd have gone with the final whistle, maybe Yoshida's heroic block, or Gunn's last minute save from Jorginho. But yeah, I suppose "shark song & dance" is the real winner.

Not to forget the shove on Luiz as he was about to clear the ball.

I have no idea about this song and yeah the hand movements are a bit cringy, but at last they are trying to support the team.

It's no wonder the atmosphere at SMS is so ****e with the number of people on here who get embarrassed by our fans making any kind of noise. Let's just sit on our hands in complete silence like we're at the cinema eh.

Ahh the cool kids getting vexed......again.

Football has never been a place to hang out with normal people although they cling to yesteryear when it was all boys in their clobber.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t bully people at school with their anger and inability to cope with people being different.

SKD only goes to have time with mates - how dare others infringe.

Following relegation, the next few years produced some of the best support I’ve seen us have. Unfortunately the only way for it to happen again is to go down which obviously isn’t ideal.

Ah ok, I figured you might mean that, but as you say, it involves relegation.

Which to be honest, I wouldn't be too bothered about, but Hasenhuttl has rejuvenated life as a Saints fan so we'll see how things pan out.

I have no idea about this song and yeah the hand movements are a bit cringy, but at last they are trying to support the team.

It's no wonder the atmosphere at SMS is so ****e with the number of people on here who get embarrassed by our fans making any kind of noise. Let's just sit on our hands in complete silence like we're at the cinema eh.

I don't see a single supporter advocating anything like the straw man argument you've just invented there?

However, to help I'll explain a little. Our support is ****ing embarrassing as it's full of middle aged/ elderly men and women with lunch boxes, tartan blankets and replica shirts made for athletes squeezed over not only their substantial body bulk, but also 3 layers of clothing that invariably includes a grey hoodie for some reason? This group of supporters half heartedly sing along to OWTS only. Now we also have a weird new breed of younger fan that films themselves for 90 minutes to help grow their YouTube Channel base of 1263 other weirdos and/ or do "crazy" strange nonsense like dancing to toddlerTV songs in the hope someone puts it up online and their "bantz" goes viral ala last night.

The above is fine, all for anyone that wants to go to a game and support Saints in whatever way they want. The *support* bit I have an issue with. Look at any description of fans making a difference in a game/ run of fixtures and you'll see none of the above. You'll see/ hear about huge tifos (not my thing but when done right for their city/ club player(s) can look amazing), intimidating vociferous support and variety of songs. We have done this before, the derby matches against the skates were genuinely nasty at times, Norwich/ MK Dons also come to mind. Away the support at Liverpool in the League Cup was outstanding as are often the away cup games (when we get them) as all the old boys come out of the woodwork for a beano somewhere. Lower Leagues filtered out most of the new breed and a lot of the cling ons (middle aged women mainly).

Ask any normal match going fan about best away support and they will list off United, Chelsea, Spurs, City, Leeds, Wednesday, West Ham, Newcastle/ Mackems. All of those have predominantly male, 18-50 year old blokes all in non club shop gear arriving by train/ private coaches after being on the p155 all day and up for getting behind their team.

That's not us, never will be probably but can only point out the facts and a fact is the players LOVE playing in front of loud, lairy and intimidating support that they perceive as having their backs. Not the New Forest/ Andover Saints in wigs, face paint and making these weirdo shark signs. Seriously, United would never have that in their away end, you wouldn't see the second half FFS.

Whatever, I'm happy to be in the minority and someone here will quickly point out how loudly they sing OWTS whilst wearing a replica shirt shrink wrapped to their Debenhams hoodie and they don't need to drink alcohol to enjoy a day travelling the length of the country in a club coach as they have their wonderful "football mad" (ie not a clingy bint jealous of their fella enjoying a day out/ hobby that doesn't involve her) wife and a packed lunch to keep them happy.

Up the Saints. AMF.

I don't see a single supporter advocating anything like the straw man argument you've just invented there?

However, to help I'll explain a little. Our support is ****ing embarrassing as it's full of middle aged/ elderly men and women with lunch boxes, tartan blankets and replica shirts made for athletes squeezed over not only their substantial body bulk, but also 3 layers of clothing that invariably includes a grey hoodie for some reason? This group of supporters half heartedly sing along to OWTS only. Now we also have a weird new breed of younger fan that films themselves for 90 minutes to help grow their YouTube Channel base of 1263 other weirdos and/ or do "crazy" strange nonsense like dancing to toddlerTV songs in the hope someone puts it up online and their "bantz" goes viral ala last night.

The above is fine, all for anyone that wants to go to a game and support Saints in whatever way they want. The *support* bit I have an issue with. Look at any description of fans making a difference in a game/ run of fixtures and you'll see none of the above. You'll see/ hear about huge tifos (not my thing but when done right for their city/ club player(s) can look amazing), intimidating vociferous support and variety of songs. We have done this before, the derby matches against the skates were genuinely nasty at times, Norwich/ MK Dons also come to mind. Away the support at Liverpool in the League Cup was outstanding as are often the away cup games (when we get them) as all the old boys come out of the woodwork for a beano somewhere. Lower Leagues filtered out most of the new breed and a lot of the cling ons (middle aged women mainly).

Ask any normal match going fan about best away support and they will list off United, Chelsea, Spurs, City, Leeds, Wednesday, West Ham, Newcastle/ Mackems. All of those have predominantly male, 18-50 year old blokes all in non club shop gear arriving by train/ private coaches after being on the p155 all day and up for getting behind their team.

That's not us, never will be probably but can only point out the facts and a fact is the players LOVE playing in front of loud, lairy and intimidating support that they perceive as having their backs. Not the New Forest/ Andover Saints in wigs, face paint and making these weirdo shark signs. Seriously, United would never have that in their away end, you wouldn't see the second half FFS.

Whatever, I'm happy to be in the minority and someone here will quickly point out how loudly they sing OWTS whilst wearing a replica shirt shrink wrapped to their Debenhams hoodie and they don't need to drink alcohol to enjoy a day travelling the length of the country in a club coach as they have their wonderful "football mad" (ie not a clingy bint jealous of their fella enjoying a day out/ hobby that doesn't involve her) wife and a packed lunch to keep them happy.

Up the Saints. AMF.

And breathe ;)

My point was, just going purely off that brief clip that it looked like they were trying to start a new song for one of our players, give me that over sitting in silence as the majority now seem to any day.

FWIW I agree with pretty much all of your post.

Up the Saints. AMF.

Why Andover?

....we also have a weird new breed of younger fan that films themselves for 90 minutes to help grow their YouTube Channel base of 1263 other weirdos and/ or do "crazy" strange nonsense like dancing to toddlerTV songs in the hope someone puts it up online and their "bantz" goes viral ala last night....

...someone here will quickly point out how loudly they sing OWTS whilst wearing a replica shirt shrink wrapped to their Debenhams hoodie and they don't need to drink alcohol to enjoy a day travelling the length of the country in a club coach as they have their wonderful "football mad" (ie not a clingy bint jealous of their fella enjoying a day out/ hobby that doesn't involve her) wife and a packed lunch to keep them happy.

Up the Saints. AMF.

Was going to post something snide, but that was a good laugh. Well done.

Well Jackanory, have you ever thought that these elderly fans that embarrass you so much with their presence have probably supported Saints all their lives and lived through all the days of agro, terracing and violence that you seem to hark back to before you were even a dollop in your old man's ********!! I suppose that you sing about hating Pompey but doubt you've ever put it into practice!!!

Well Jackanory, have you ever thought that these elderly fans that embarrass you so much with their presence have probably supported Saints all their lives and lived through all the days of agro, terracing and violence that you seem to hark back to before you were even a dollop in your old man's ********!! I suppose that you sing about hating Pompey but doubt you've ever put it into practice!!!

You live in Salisbury. Saints fans from outside the City have no idea of the rivalry IMO. Just friendly banter to them. Here in SO/ PO it's jobs, commerce, football and life.

FWIW some of the old boys that go and watch Saints are amazing. I hope to be one eventually. However no way I'll be getting dragged along by my missus and her flask and lunchbox diabetic friendly snacks. My disgraceful old mates and I will be using our rail passes and getting right on it relying on grandsons to get the beers in as "their legs are younger than ours".

If they pay to enter a football ground then they can do what they want.

I expect you think spinning a Xmas hat is sad too?

Btw I prefer fans having fun rather than throwing banana skins and bottles at players.

Where the f*ck did that come from? So because watching grown men make tits out themselves is something he (and a lot of us) find incredibly embarrassing he's suddenly racist?

Ahh the cool kids getting vexed......again.

Football has never been a place to hang out with normal people although they cling to yesteryear when it was all boys in their clobber.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t bully people at school with their anger and inability to cope with people being different.

SKD only goes to have time with mates - how dare others infringe.

Those are some incredible leaps of imagination, to go from "cool kids getting vexed" to "they must be a bully" shows as much about your psyche and past as it does what's been written.

I don't think anyone was slagging off old folk, in fact the people doing that were all in their 20s and should've known better. Most people i know were embarrassed by that attempt from those kids, and most of the same people aren't exactly young themselves.

A good point being raised here is the non SO postcode lot who don’t really ‘get’ it. Especially where the Skates are concerned. It’s not surprising since we’re by far the biggest club south of London, but the spreading of our fanbase is unfortunate.

In general though it is a South Coast disease. Look at us, skates, AFCB, Brighton, even Plymouth. All majority mong fanbase.

Edited by LGTL

And breathe ;)

My point was, just going purely off that brief clip that it looked like they were trying to start a new song for one of our players, give me that over sitting in silence as the majority now seem to any day.

FWIW I agree with pretty much all of your post.

A new Gunn song was actually sung just before that monstrosity which seemed more like a bit of in-group bantz.

Friendly banter!!! You're having a laugh. I might have an SP postcode (born in Hampshire) but I know about the rivalry. We didn't have keyboards back in the 70's and 80's with which to discuss the merits of our respective football clubs. The only location that can claim to fully understand the rivalry like no other would be around Fareham where it is equi-distant to either club. Someone living in a SO postcode in the New Forest knows no more about the rivalry than someone in London. Anyway, a bit off-thread topic but worth a debate all the same. FWIW our support last night was pretty good and even if OWTS is the only song that us oldies join in with, it is better to do that than remain silent. Singing about kicking a Pompey fans head in or shooting him IMHO is almost as cringe worthy as the Angus Gunn song. I and I think many others find it a bit pathetic and that's why the majority don't join in. Anyway lads and lasses, keep up the support in whatever way you wish - you certainly wont please everyone and will no doubt attract criticism from many for your efforts!

A good point being raised here is the non SO postcode lot who don’t really ‘get’ it. Especially where the Skates are concerned. It’s not surprising since we’re by far the biggest club south of London, but the spreading of our fanbase is unfortunate.

In general though it is a South Coast disease. Look at us, skates, AFCB, Brighton, even Plymouth. All majority mong fanbase.

A lot of people are disdainful of the club putting resources into growing the fanbase and looking further afield. However, I thought that was about fans in USA and China, not Salisbury and Ringwood :lol:

I mean, to an extent you have a point. Someone born and raised in the City the club represents surely must feel a greater affinity than someone from further afield, but I think you're wrong to equate "mongs" with "people not from the city". I'm sure plenty of the plonkers on show are Southampton's finest.

(I've just seen you say 'non SO postcode'. That does at least reach as far as where I grew up and isn't quite as strict as I first interpreted...)

Where the f*ck did that come from? So because watching grown men make tits out themselves is something he (and a lot of us) find incredibly embarrassing he's suddenly racist?

Those are some incredible leaps of imagination, to go from "cool kids getting vexed" to "they must be a bully" shows as much about your psyche and past as it does what's been written.

I don't think anyone was slagging off old folk, in fact the people doing that were all in their 20s and should've known better. Most people i know were embarrassed by that attempt from those kids, and most of the same people aren't exactly young themselves.

Not really. I take it you would be embarrassed to see a disabled fan in wheelchair or someone with Downs sitting next to you? Wouldn’t look cool would it? Quite sad how many who consider themselves to be above so many are the insecure ones with the superficial things keeping them going.

Did you say somewhere else that you are a teacher?

As someone who's in touching distance of his sixties (and should know better) and been going to the football for all but half a dozen or so of them years, I can confirm that we've always had 'em. I've always felt our fanbase isn't really representative of this city, the Southampton people I've grown up around have always seemed a bit more rough-and-ready, I guess a lot of the older generations worked in the docks or related industries when it was thriving, many of our fans do come across as a bit too polite/dopey for a 'football' crowd.

Wherever I've stood/sat and chatted to fans around us over the years, there's always going to be a few from Dorset or Wiltshire who usually even struggle with the name of the team they've chosen to follow - I mean, who the fck are "Saampt'n"? I've always wanted our fans to be more Galatasary than Old Corinthians but after a near 6 decades I accept that will never be the case.