Derby 2-2 Saints reaction

JustMike

Bad, bad display with very few bright spots.

Really highlights how our squad has been filled with dross the last 3 years:

Moi - terrible, terrible buy. Ali Dia offered more

Long - is not a footballer

Austin - long past it

Vestergaard - looks OK at times and like Bambi on ice at other times

Hoedt - terrible buy

Today only JWP and Redmond played well. Slattery was OK without doing too much, but rest were terrible.

Cedric, Targett, Stephens, Long, Austin, Moi, Vestergaard all very, very poor.

We really don;t have much quality in this squad.

We need a CB and a striker this window, whatever else happens.

They missed Yoshi and Bednarek today

Marriott should have scored. Knife through butter again. Replay we don’t need. Gash performance. But at least still in hat and Ralph will know that Mo isn’t good enough to feature again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Ralph got it right with what he has available. Romeu is too important to the team now to keep us in the Premiership, he can't be wasted on cup matches - neither JWP or Slattery had a bad game, but neither of them are an out and out CDM like we need.

Elynoussi, Austin and Long were all non-factors.

Cedric wasn't great, everyone crying for him to come back has been looking at him from rose-tinted glasses in my opinion - Valery and Kayne Ramsey would not have looked out of place ahead of him.

Redmond excellent.

Vestergaard could not pass to save his life today.

Just no quality in attack, except for Redmond.

Long, Austin, Moi - can all just f*ck off as far as I'm concerned. Stealing a living at the moment, all of them.

Seriously, how the f*ck is Shane Long still here and getting picked after it was clear 3-4 years ago that he wasn't good enough for us?

Austin at least has been good previously but is so well past it now.

As for Elyounoussi - I can't think of any words strong enough to describe how terrible he is.

Apart from the number of youngsters in the squad, Redmond's performance and Hojbjerg being back a league game sooner, I'm genuinely struggling to take any positives from today. Too many of our team are just not up to standard.

Don't ever want to see Cedric, Moi or Long in a Saints shirt again.

I don’t know how we are going to offload ALL the players we need to. How Jack Stephens gets near this side is beyond belief. Look at both goals and miss for them at the end. Throw in Cedric Targett Long... that’s just from the team playing. Very worrying Ralf looks really ****ed off.

This is why people don't excited for the FA cup. Both teams and fans wanted to finish it today. Instead a draw just gets you another unwanted game.

I think it's the FA Trophy where the teams before hand can agree if they want extra time or a replay if the match ends in a draw.

You can see why some teams would want a replay (small team against a Premier League team) but in this instance, extra time would have been beneficial for both sides.

please Ralph get long and elyounoussi away from the pitch, Austin not much better. not really impressed with any of the youngsters today but saying that after they came on we could not seem to retain any possession and long was probably one of the worst culprits in not being able to link play or hold the ball.. gotta give a big shout out to Redmond though. our best player by a country mile today

Bad, bad display with very few bright spots.

Really highlights how our squad has been filled with dross the last 3 years:

Moi - terrible, terrible buy. Ali Dia offered more

Long - is not a footballer

Austin - long past it

Vestergaard - looks OK at times and like Bambi on ice at other times

Hoedt - terrible buy

Today only JWP and Redmond played well. Slattery was OK without doing too much, but rest were terrible.

Cedric, Targett, Stephens, Long, Austin, Moi, Vestergaard all very, very poor.

We really don;t have much quality in this squad.

We need a CB and a striker this window, whatever else happens.

Good summing up. Some very average (being kind!) in the Saints team.

Classic Cup game, a lot more bluster and hoof than quality

I actually think we did OK first half, certainly score wise. You could see the high press rattling the opposition. Second half got very scrappy as Derby upped their game with the goals and we tired.

Positives....mmm, we didn't lose, but I'm not even sure about that as a positive. Redmond was good again and we gave a lot of juniors a run out

Shame in a way we gave up the two goal lead but we were caught out, slow at centre back and light in front of them when Derby opened us up. Personally I wanted a draw to get Hojbjerg back for Everton. It'll also give Ralph another game to get the team playing his way.

Overall, very poor performance with multiple players showing they are finished at Saints.

Gunn - made some solid saves, could do nothing with goals. 6

Cedric - decent enough. 6

Vestergaard - Awful. Sloppy pass out of play lead to first goal. Seemingly cannot play in a back 4 as too much space to cover. 3

Stephens - also cannot play in a back 4. Should have scored. 3

Targett - not for me, Clive. Awful defensively and tentative going forward. If we wasnt from the Academy he wouldnt be near the first team. 3

Slattery - ok for a debut. 6

JWP - promising performance, but needs a partner who wins duels. 7

Elyounoussi - no lack of effort, massive lack of quality. Will be another who is loaned out for a few years. 1

Redmond - excellent. Our player of the season so far. So much rests on him staying fit. 9

Austin - waste of space. Should be his last game for us. 3

Long - see Austin. 3

Barnes & Johnson - fairly anonymous in brief appearances.

Ralph will know he needs additions, as there is no quality outside the starting XI he has used.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Overall, very poor performance with multiple players showing they are finished at Saints.

Gunn - made some solid saves, could do nothing with goals. 6

Cedric - decent enough. 6

Vestergaard - Awful. Sloppy pass out of play lead to first goal. Seemingly cannot play in a back 4 as too much space to cover. 3

Stephens - also cannot play in a back 4. Should have scored. 3

Targett - not for me, Clive. Awful defensively and tentative going forward. If we wasnt from the Academy he wouldnt be near the first team. 3

Slattery - ok for a debut. 6

JWP - promising performance, but needs a partner who wins duels. 7

Elyounoussi - no lack of effort, massive lack of quality. Will be another who is loaned out for a few years. 1

Redmond - excellent. Our player of the season so far. So much rests on him staying fit. 9

Austin - waste of space. Should be his last game for us. 3

Long - see Austin. 3

Barnes & Johnson - fairly anonymous in brief appearances.

Ralph will know he needs additions, as there is no quality outside the starting XI he has used.

He really wasn't. Didn't win a single tackle or header and does absolutely nothing except hoof it down the line. Stealing a living as a footballer

It is what it is. Would've been happy for us to have sacked off this match and focused solely on the next important league game, so a much changed XI struggling to a draw is no disaster.

Chucking away a 2-0 lead is pretty galling, though - feeble defending once more our undoing.

Long and Elyounoussi can't play for this club again, however. They don't make up one single footballer between them. Austin might poach a goal or two off the bench between now and the end of the season, but there'd be no tears shed if we could get shot of him too. He has no business starting any more games.

Redmond looked full of beans - that's a good sign. And a couple of kids got a run out and a bit of experience (even if Barnes and Johnson barely touched the ball).

Not sure what else to take from the match.

Magic of the cup, etc.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He really wasn't. Didn't win a single tackle or header and does absolutely nothing except hoof it down the line. Stealing a living as a footballer
He doesn't get beaten every time a player runs at him like Targett does.

Apart from the number of youngsters in the squad, Redmond's performance and Hojbjerg being back a league game sooner, I'm genuinely struggling to take any positives from today. Too many of our team are just not up to standard.

Don't ever want to see Cedric, Moi or Long in a Saints shirt again.

Don’t get the Cedric hate. He’s not my favorite player but today he was steady.

I’m sure Hasenhüttl would have wanted a win but I’ve got a feeling he is mixing things up and testing players. Don’t forget the under 23’s train with the first team now. There’s no way we will be relegated, Hoedt has just been added to the transfer list.

He’s in it for the long haul.

He’s got the rest of this season, get players in and out in the January window then the summer to build a quality side.

Yoshi is going to be a big loss for the next few weeks. He's the best defensive reader of situations we have.

Vestergaard and Stephens are reactors, not readers, and slow reactors at that - making us vulnerable down the middle. How often did they both try to clean up the same situation today?

So I'm glad that Romeu, PEH and Lemina are getting some time off now. They will be vital in the coming weeks.