Sam Gallagher

spyinthesky

I thought he grew into the game pretty well and gave us something different. Don’t know whether he’ll make it or not, that’s for the professionals to decide but now is his time to make a mark . Apart from Ings, he’s not really got particularly good players blocking his path to the side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like Sam, but he was understandably a bit off the pace yesterday. He could probably do with a couple of U23 games to build up some match fitness and then give him some 1st team minutes from the bench. Could have a big chance now, suppose it may depend on if we bring in another CF.

A League 1 player at best. Couldn’t deliver at Blackburn or Birmingham. No way in a million years is he a Premier League player.

I remember a time when Harry Kane looked really out of place / struggled playing for Layton Orient in League 1 and Millwall in the Champ he did OK, fast forward 5 years and he is one of the best in the world.

Not saying Sam is that good, but you never know if they don't get consistent game time to improve...……..

He is overated by the fan base like every other youth product, he had potential under posh and it looks like that's gone after loan spells and injury.
Who is overrating him? I haven't seen anyone suggesting he is some mega star in the waiting.

As with all youngsters the question is are they better than what we already have to merit a spot in the match day squad.

Clearly Ings is first choice ( when he is fit) but after that we have Austin and Long. One who isn't suited to play the way the manager wants to play and one who couldn't score in a brothel and both have been under performing for sometime.

So unless we are buying a new striker in Jan I see no problem with giving Gallagher a berth on the bench or a start ahead of Austin or Long at worse he won't score or assist but that wouldn't be any worse than playing one of the chuckle brothers. At best with a bit of regular game time he might find some form and be an improvement on the two duds.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

He is overated by the fan base like every other youth product, he had potential under posh and it looks like that's gone after loan spells and injury.

He gets slated by most of the fan base like every other youth product you mean. If he was foreign he'd be getting the 'he's still adapting to the league' treatment. All these lads have either had a couple of lower league loan spells, or just played youth football up until this point in their careers, there is an adaptation period that should be allowed here too. Kayne Ramsay has gone from marking 16/17 year old academy products who may never make it as a pro, to marking Raheem Sterling in a couple of weeks. I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that takes some getting used to... Likewise with Sam, he's played about 3 Premier League games in his career, about 5 years ago, and has been injured for ages. I'm sure Ralph is absolutely livid that he didn't light the world up in his substitute appearance for our reserve team.

Not one of our academy products has made a contribution worse than the worst moments of Hoedt, Cedric, Elyounoussi, Vestergaard this season. But none of those have been discarded by the manager after one mistake, so thankfully Ralph is aware that things don't happen overnight, and the best way for our academy products to improve and adapt, is to play them. Tyreke Johnson, Yan Valery, Callum Slattery, Matt Targett, Sam Gallagher, James Ward-Prowse, Kayne Ramsay, Marcus Barnes have all featured under Ralph, and we've picked up 10 points since his arrival and left the relegation zone, and only gone out of the cup on penalties. Personally, that makes it all the sweeter.

Well in all honesty, he's not going to come out and say that he was s**t.

He probably would, he has pretty much said last night that Obafemi is unprofessional.

A League 1 player at best. Couldn’t deliver at Blackburn or Birmingham. No way in a million years is he a Premier League player.

He did deliver for those clubs, those clubs were just terrible terrible teams that were all over the place with multiple managers and issues behind the scenes.

IIRC he was top scorer for both clubs in the league.

I kind of agree with the above post, our academy products get a hard time of it and seem to get written off before they have even had a chance to get any experience.

I mean we all know the criticism JWP has got over the years, despite almost every manager picking him regularly.

I think some of our fans have been spoilt by the likes of Walcott, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Bale and Shaw, all those players were top level academy products, but also crucially they were early developers, not every player is like that.

One of our best players of recent times, Lambert didn't really develop until he was in his mid 20s. I can only imagine what some of our fans would have said about Lambert if he had been from our academy and around our team at 19-20.

There is massive number of factors that goes into a players development besides their raw talent, there is the experience they get, how their body develops, injuries, their home life, their attitude and maturity which might change over time etc. etc.

Some of the best payers in the world were awkward, inconsistent players in their early 20s and developed into world class players once they found their place, their position the right manager etc.

Other youngster explode onto the seen and look set to conquer the world and then fade into obscurity for various reasons, look at someone like Adriano, he was a beast, the complete forward that pretty much had everything and was banging in goals for Inter and Brazil at like 20-21, then his father died and his career fell to pieces.

Look at Walcott never hit his real potential or turned into the top player we thought he would despite looking so good at 16-17.

And I am not saying Gallagher is going to turn into some world beater or the next Lambert, but at least let the guy have a chance to get fit and show what he can do.

He was Birmingham's top scorer last season and Blackburn's second top scorer the season before. That was in two awful teams how's that not delivering? Whether he is good enough for us or not saying he didn't deliver for those two clubs is bollix.

As for PL player I think our squad proves that's a pretty low bar these days. Is he a top six player ? Of course not. Could he be worse than Shane long or Charlie Austin? Probably not.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Delivered pretty well at both clubs considering they were both shambles. 11 goals for Blackburn is hardly failing. Can you imagine Shane Long scoring 11? He's not going to be the new Harry Kane but certainly could provide more than Chas and Shane.

He gets slated by most of the fan base like every other youth product you mean. If he was foreign he'd be getting the 'he's still adapting to the league' treatment. All these lads have either had a couple of lower league loan spells, or just played youth football up until this point in their careers, there is an adaptation period that should be allowed here too. Kayne Ramsay has gone from marking 16/17 year old academy products who may never make it as a pro, to marking Raheem Sterling in a couple of weeks. I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that takes some getting used to... Likewise with Sam, he's played about 3 Premier League games in his career, about 5 years ago, and has been injured for ages. I'm sure Ralph is absolutely livid that he didn't light the world up in his substitute appearance for our reserve team.

Not one of our academy products has made a contribution worse than the worst moments of Hoedt, Cedric, Elyounoussi, Vestergaard this season. But none of those have been discarded by the manager after one mistake, so thankfully Ralph is aware that things don't happen overnight, and the best way for our academy products to improve and adapt, is to play them. Tyreke Johnson, Yan Valery, Callum Slattery, Matt Targett, Sam Gallagher, James Ward-Prowse, Kayne Ramsay, Marcus Barnes have all featured under Ralph, and we've picked up 10 points since his arrival and left the relegation zone, and only gone out of the cup on penalties. Personally, that makes it all the sweeter.

Far to reasoned and logical for this place. [emoji122]

Delivered pretty well at both clubs considering they were both shambles. 11 goals for Blackburn is hardly failing. Can you imagine Shane Long scoring 11? He's not going to be the new Harry Kane but certainly could provide more than Chas and Shane.

He had a purple patch at Brum, scoring 5 in 7 games, he scored 1 goal the rest of the season.

He had a good start at Blackburn, then scored twice in 5 months for the rest of the season.

He failed to score in half a season at MK.

Plenty of players have been banging them in down there, then failed to make the step up to the Premier League, look at last years top scorers:

Vydra - Can't get a game for Burnley

Grabban - Bournemouth sold him back to the Championship

Reid - Scored twice for Cardiff

Clarke - 33 and has never played in the Premier League

Jota - Scored twice for Wolves

Really good post, so many so quick to write players off if they aren't instantly brilliant. I believe that some on here think that playing Football Manager is like real life football management.

Spot on

Well not really seeing as Blackburn want him this window and this season they're are in with a shout for the playoffs.

He had a purple patch at Brum, scoring 5 in 7 games, he scored 1 goal the rest of the season.

He had a good start at Blackburn, then scored twice in 5 months for the rest of the season.

He failed to score in half a season at MK.

Plenty of players have been banging them in down there, then failed to make the step up to the Premier League, look at last years top scorers:

Vydra - Can't get a game for Burnley

Grabban - Bournemouth sold him back to the Championship

Reid - Scored twice for Cardiff

Clarke - 33 and has never played in the Premier League

Jota - Scored twice for Wolves

Most strikers are like that. Look at Pelle, went months without scoring when the weather got a bit cold. How has Long got on in the scoring regularly stakes (I suppose you could argue once per manager is regular)? Both at Blackburn and Brum Gallagher was affected by injuries and different systems impacting how he was deployed. I'm sure he wouldn't have done well under Pellegrino or Puel with the dire football they played, but he will suit Ralph's style of play much better. Anyway the point is to rebuff the absolute nonsense post on here by Didcot? that he failed at B&B and so was only League One standard. How anyone could post such drivel and be expected to be taken seriously is beyond me and most others on here.

What about after his 119th appearance?

Then it’s a bit fairer to make a judgement :lol: But my point is, after one or two appearances for a new foreign signing we’d be told it’s unfair to write them off yet, but with a youngster it seems much more acceptable. Both need time to adapt sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackburn still interested..

Where things stand on Rovers' search for a new striker

Rovers are on the search for a new striker - with Sam Gallagher remaining a long-term target.

A striker is likely to be Rovers’ main priority before Thursday’s 11pm transfer deadline.

The 23-year-old scored 12 times during a loan spell at Ewood Park in 2016/17 and Rovers tried to bring him to the club last summer. Interest in the striker remains, but Gallagher has been used off the bench in two of Southampton’s last four games.

The Premier League club are reportedly interested in a move for Birmingham City forward Che Adams, which could impact on Gallagher’s availability before Thursday’s deadline.

However, the Saints have already allowed Manolo Gabbiadini to leave the club this month, while there is also interest in Charlie Austin which could lead to boss Ralph Hasenhuttl turning down any moves for Gallagher, who is understood to be keen on a move to Rovers should the opportunity arise.

Rovers are assessing their options when it comes to adding a central striker to their ranks and are keen to take some of the heat off 33-year-old Danny Graham, with a list of targets drawn up.

Middlesbrough striker Britt Assombalonga is one name to have done the rounds, though a move for the 26-year-old in this window isn't expected, with Boro unlikely to want to lose their nine-goal striker so soon to the deadline.

Assombalonga, a £15million signing from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2017, has been playing second fiddle to loan signing Jordan Hugill at the Riverside this season. But his current wages are understood to be around double that of Rovers’ top earner, making any move appear unlikely at this stage.

Joe Nuttall, who came off the bench against Hull City on Saturday, has burst back on to the first team stage this month, making four appearances and scoring two goals.

The 22-year-old was expected to leave the club in January, with several League One clubs interested, but Tony Mowbray has suggested Nuttall will now remain at Ewood Park for the remainder of the season.

Source: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17392688.where-things-stand-on-rovers-search-for-a-new-striker/

Nixon: SOUTHAMPTON. Bit of a dilemma. Trying to move out Austin. Meanwhile FOREST and SWANSEA make surprise loan requests for Gallagher.

Forrest make £300k for selling Fox to Wigan and look to reinvest in loaning Sam Gallagher.

Imo Gallagher is just not up to our standard. He’s so far been too much of a ‘plodder’ He doesn’t make things happen where as Chaz does. Between the two I’d choose Austin all day long unless Ralph thinks he can change Gallagher significantly then best to sell him as another loan is pointless. Of course if we can sell both great but then we need at least one striker in.

He's never really been given a chance here since his injuries a couple of years ago. I don't know if he'll ever make it at top level, but I'd like to keep him for now to find out. He is unusual in being both tall and quite fast, so if he does come good he will give us several options in terms of style of play.

So give him a go now then decide in summer.

He's never really been given a chance here since his injuries a couple of years ago. I don't know if he'll ever make it at top level, but I'd like to keep him for now to find out. He is unusual in being both tall and quite fast, so if he does come good he will give us several options in terms of style of play.

So give him a go now then decide in summer.

I am mindful of Harry Kane going out on koan loads of times and never really setting the world on fire and then bam, gets his chance, takes a pot shot from long range, it goes in, confidence flows and then the rest is history. Could that happen with Sam? Does he have that quality to his game?

Imo Gallagher is just not up to our standard. He’s so far been too much of a ‘plodder’ He doesn’t make things happen where as Chaz does. Between the two I’d choose Austin all day long unless Ralph thinks he can change Gallagher significantly then best to sell him as another loan is pointless. Of course if we can sell both great but then we need at least one striker in.

Austin has played in 13 league games this season and scored 2 goals. In the games he hasn’t scored in, he has contributed relatively little. In particular, he was very poor away at Cardiff and away at Everton. If you give him chances and he’s fit, he’ll score them. We don’t know that the same wouldn’t apply to Gallagher, but I suggest you will get a lot more running out of Gallagher than you will out of Charlie

Yep, just like we knew that Redmond isn't good enough and that JWP and Bednarek aren't either.

Sometimes players don't fit systems. I don't think either Austin or Gallagher fit what Ralphy is looking for. He much prefers a player like Redmond or Obe up front. Other systems prefer bigger, more physical, "traditional" type strikers. Thats I think why Austin wants out. He knows that he, or Gallagher for that matter, will only ever be the "70 minute sub when they are down or tied and need a goal" guy, not the starter.