Southampton FC fan base: a credit to the club

ashnats

Article loses all credibility when it puts Anfield 2nd. Having been to every single one of them grounds, Anfield is probably within the bottom 3, imo.

This thread is a mess.

Agree. I thought Huddersfield's fan noise was very good, despite their team going through a very, very poor patch. They deserve a much higher rating.

Anfield, Goodison and Stamford Bridge should all be in the bottom half of the table, Molineux and Huddersfield are the only two i've been to in recent years that make any real noise, most (like St Mary's) are silent most of the time but can have their moments.

A few years ago I'd agree with our high ranking but let's be honest, in recent seasons the atmosphere at SMS has been very poor.

Noisiest place I've been to was Leicester the year before they won the title, and agree with others that Huddersfield should be higher up.

Generally that list is a load of nonsense.

I don't think the criteria is solely based on atmosphere the article seems to suggest it's based on a number of different things and is voted on by visiting away fans...on that basis there can't be many away fans who haven't enjoyed visiting SMS the last couple of years given our generous nature most of them have probably left SMS having had a great day...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Wasn't there some good singing about sharks or something:D

It seems we caught on a bit late:

BABY SHARK FOR MATTY CLARKE

By Staff Reporter

Friday 21 Sep 2018 08:15:00

Browse all News Stories articles

A terrace chant has finally been bestowed upon Matthew Clarke.

Witty blues on the road to Peterborough took to social media and local pubs to share their topical chant before kick-off.

Baby Shark is a child's nursery rhyme which has gone viral around the world this September. Originating in Indonesia, the video has had over 1.6 billion views worldwide on Youtube, with celebrities fuelling the #babysharkchallenge on Twitter.

And Pompey fans have pounced on the chant to fit it perfectly to Clarke's name.

"It was ridiculous, there must have been a hundred or so of us singing Baby Shark at a football match. It was silly, the Peterborough lads were joining in. Great away day", said Liam Wells, 33, from Baffins.

"It's not quite on par with the Kabamba song, but it tickled me, I have a new version to sing to my daughter now!" added Chris Sutton, 29, from Milton.

"It's simple and effective, every player should get a song before kick-off, it's the way it was in the past", added Trevor Deacon on Facebook.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/196798-baby-shark/

People who say Saints have never had one of the most intimidating home atmospheres obviously weren't around in the late 70s, when we did. To be honest, atmosphere is boosted enormously by winning a trophy and when we won our only major one it resulted in us having one of the best home atmospheres in the country for several years afterwards. 1977 was the peak, when there was deafening singing on all four sides of the Dell and away teams used to fear coming here. There was a similar effect at Leicester when they won the league, although in this all-seater era it's never going to be quite as intense as it was.

It's difficult to judge the atmosphere at other grounds based solely on when they play us. It has to be assessed over the whole season. One thing is for sure, Liverpool historically have the best home record in English football and their kop has been a major factor in that since the 1960s, whether we like it or not.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9927450/do-not-publish-historys-top-home-team-is

Dreadful, lazy article that spends more time discussing the respective clubs progress on pitch than the atmosphere. Meaningless rankings.

Agree about the Dell in the late 70s. Last proper atmosphere at St Marys was that cup match v the blue few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk