Alfie Jones

Tamesaint

What is the general opinion of Alfie Jones ?? I have not seen him play live but he has looked ok in clips I have seen. He has been recalled from his loan at St Mirren and with Maya playing in the Asian Cup and Hoedt being frozen out , CHDAJFU ??

What is the general opinion of Alfie Jones ?? I have not seen him play live but he has looked ok in clips I have seen. He has been recalled from his loan at St Mirren and with Maya playing in the Asian Cup and Hoedt being frozen out , CHDAJFU ??

Assuming we stick to playing 3 at the back & with Yoshida (away at the Asia Cup) & Hoedt (not in contention) we only have Stephens / Bednarek / Vestergaard for those 3 starting positions w/ Kayne Ramsay covering (& he's more of a right-back).

Now is a really good chance for Jones to impress.

Assuming we stick to playing 3 at the back & with Yoshida (away at the Asia Cup) & Hoedt (not in contention) we only have Stephens / Bednarek / Vestergaard for those 3 starting positions w/ Kayne Ramsay covering (& he's more of a right-back).

Now is a really good chance for Jones to impress.

Bertrand has played there and performed well hasn’t he? Could be an option though we are very light there now for sure.

Not really, because it means we will still have to rely on Targett at LWB.

I would much rather have a dedicated CB and Bertrand playing wing back.

Me too. But I had forgotten Bertrand could cover there.

None of our centre-backs are remotely fast with Maya being away.

St Mirren fans were a bit underwhelmed

If he was anywhere near epl ready he should have really stood out in the SPL and didn't.

Cost them a few goals it seems.

Most of the comments on the St Mirren forum are complimentary about him with the majority of posters being sorry to see him return to us. It would seem that he was certainly improving.

It is so unlike you to diss a player associated with Saints.

Most of the comments on the St Mirren forum are complimentary about him with the majority of posters being sorry to see him return to us. It would seem that he was certainly improving.

It is so unlike you to diss a player associated with Saints.

Don’t fall for him. He is a constant liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t fall for him. He is a constant liar.

Harsh! I don't think Tamesaint is a liar. Just doesn't handle bad news well. It's common on here.

Couple "positive" comments from St Mirren.

Alfie was no superstar... he did a job and had improved, but look back at the goals he cost us early on and recently the penalty for wrestling against Aberdeen and beaten by Watts for the only goal in the last minute against the Fakes.

Not too fussed about Alfie Jones . Not done enough, and not strong enough at centre half. The Johnnies goal the other week was down to him not getting tight enough to Watt.

thought Alfie showed promise, but he also showed his inexperience at times, and when he did it frequently led to goals (penalty v Aberdeen for example). If we can get a more experienced central defender in then I'm fine with this.

Not too bothered about Alfie Jones going either, if anything is to be made of the ‘storm in a teacup’. if we genuinely want to improve then we need better thanJones at CH.

Alfie Jones - looked OK in debut coming on as a sub at Aberdeen but out of his depth after that

I've not been overly impressed byJones . I also struggle to see the point in developing a player for Southampton

Jones looks f**king awful nothing promising about him he’s got zero composure

Alfie has been poor mostly

A few saying he has potential but mostly seem underwhelmed. Doesn't look epl ready to me

Harsh! I don't think Tamesaint is a liar. Just doesn't handle bad news well. It's common on here.

A few saying he has potential but mostly seem underwhelmed. Doesn't look epl ready to me

Brilliant response.

I got 4/1that you would make up 5 or more derogatory comments about Alfie Jones. You sure came good making up more than 5.

Many thanks - kerchong.

What forum was that? Can’t find any of those comments when I reversed searched them. Odd.

I'd be happy if Jones returns to us.

I was a big fan of Jones he was really coming on to his game.

Thought Jones was a good player

Well done to Alfie on his goal. Come a long way this season.

I’d like to think our management team will have something lined up if they are letting Alfie go, would be insane if they never.

I'd like Alfie to stay till the end of the season.

Alfie will go on to better things, we are only at the start of his journey. I would love him to stay till the season end, if he went too i cant see us being able to recruit two good centre backs in January.

Of this squad the only players who will ever play at the same or better level are Alfie Jones

Young Alfie Jones is a revelation who just seems to improve and learn in each game. Might turn out to be an inspired signing come season end

Alfie Jones... Take a bow young man. That was a HUGE performance

Alfie Jones has played well these last few games and deserves to be in there ahead of Jack right now.

Good game this selective quoting malarkey #textbook

Good game this selective quoting malarkey #textbook

Like I said T

few saying he has potential but mostly seem underwhelmed. Doesn't look epl ready to me

Are you suggesting he is ready? I'm confused about your angle on this or anything?

Opinions are OK mate. Get off the fense once in a while. Enjoy your self

#textbook

Oh dear Cabbage Face is getting owned again - not just owned but handcuffed, chained to a chair, hidden in the basement and Tyson Fury is putting on his gimp mask.

#mess

Still can’t find those comments. Don’t get why you both have to lie.

Just read thru the st mirren out thread ....they all say he showed promise and upset to see him go and was in there starting 11 ........

and fwiw the club has always rated him as a much better prospect than stephens .

we will see

Yep, he's been well rated. More importantly, it's hard to believe why helmet alleged "fans" would quote ( or make up ) comments to support their own view that a player that they've probably never seen play is sh:te. Madness.

From what I could see they are sad to see him go, said he made a few mistakes early on through inexperience, wrestling people, being a bit rash etc. but seemed to improve and learn from it.

So a very successful loan spell then, because that's the whole point in us arranging them for our academy products.

• 5 months later...
Young Southampton defender Alfie Jones has completed a loan move to Gillingham.

The 21-year-old centre-back has moved to the League One club for the 2019/20 season, as he continues his development.

Gillingham finished 13th in the third tier last season, and will be hoping to push on further up the table under the guidance of new manager Steve Evans.

Jones’s move follows on from a successful temporary spell at Scottish club St Mirren in the first half of the previous campaign.

The club will be monitoring Jones’s progress closely throughout his time at Priestfield Stadium and wishes him well for the season.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-02/alfie-jones-southampton-gillingham-loan-move-announcement

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2019/july/alfie-jones-signing/

I've seen the U23's often and he is not a stand-out lad for sure. Tend to agree with Baird of the land, surplus to requirements here probably.

Good to make these decisions early rather than hanging on and on and as a result likely ruining a young lad's career. Nothing worse than stop-start of/off etc.

Hope he has a great loan spell - intrigued by Jones, was thought extremely highly of a couple of years back, and our respected poster Guan rates him, but his development does seem to have stalled so hopefully this kick starts things.

Not reading too much into it on terms of it being the end of his chances here. Assuming Ralph wants a back 4 and we do make a signing as our number one pick, that would leave bednarek and vesti vying for places 2 and 3 in the squad with Maya as 4th place. Mayas contract ends next summer so there will be his place in the squad up for grabs with Jones, Klarer, Ramsey and maybe 1 or 2 others competing for it.

I guess the issue for Jones given his age that he only his this season left to stake his claim whereas the others have a couple of more years.

I have only seen Alfie Jones play 'live' a few times and I feel that he has great potential but as others have said his development has appeared to have stalled. From what I have seen, I think that Klarer has overtaken him and could be fast-tracked to the first team squad. For that reason loaning Alfie for the season could kickstart his career. A very important season for him.

I have only seen Alfie Jones play 'live' a few times and I feel that he has great potential but as others have said his development has appeared to have stalled. From what I have seen, I think that Klarer has overtaken him and could be fast-tracked to the first team squad. For that reason loaning Alfie for the season could kickstart his career. A very important season for him.

The good thing about Ralph being in charge is he’s had a really good look at the kids last season so he will know exactly who he wants to loan out & who he wants to take out to Austria.

• 1 year later...