Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Charlie Austin

Quote Originally Posted by darren2 View Post
    You'd start 8 goals in 82 games Shane Long?? ������
    Would that be 9 goals in 83 games then? If so then it's not as bad as we thought

Anybody think Chas has started his last game for us after yesterday's performance?

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Anybody think Chas has started his last game for us after yesterday's performance?
    No, not with the other striker options that we have at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Charlie is a busted flush and apart from running round a lot more in comparison, so is Shane Long.

The latter's header from a cross in the second half which more or less hit his foot shows what a goal threat he is.

Sam Gallagher must either be injured or not showing up very well in training not to be given a go at a time when Ralph H is prepared to blood youngsters coming thro the U23's.

I think we need to replace our entire strike force in the summer, with the only exception being Ings but then his injury record makes him unreliable too.

Just looking back through our results and Long's goal against Leicester is still the only one scored by one of our strikers so far in 2019

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    I think we need to replace our entire strike force in the summer, with the only exception being Ings but then his injury record makes him unreliable too.
    Agreed on all parts of that.

Just looking back through our results and Long's goal against Leicester is still the only one scored by one of our strikers so far in 2019
    As the games have gone on recently, I wondered that myself earlier, after seeing Redmond / JWP / Valery & even Romeu (!) chipping in.

That is a very bold statement. How much do you think that it would cost to do that? The one player I would argue that you cannot budget for playing regular football is Ings. Long can have a role to play, we looked much better when he was on the field yesterday. As for Austin; he is what he is; reads the game well and you have to look at his goal scoring record - like Ings though you cannot really plan for him to play regularly. Realistically we should be in the market for one striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    That is a very bold statement. How much do you think that it would cost to do that? The one player I would argue that you cannot budget for playing regular football is Ings. Long can have a role to play, we looked much better when he was on the field yesterday. As for Austin; he is what he is; reads the game well and you have to look at his goal scoring record - like Ings though you cannot really plan for him to play regularly. Realistically we should be in the market for one striker.
    1. Just how bad does Long have to get before you’d say he isn’t good enough? He’s a 2 goal a season striker who runs around offside and falls over in his marker farts too hard.

2. What about it? It’s terrible.

Neither Long nor Austin is a Premier League player.

Long and Austin are past it should of been sold and upgraded 2 seasons ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    1. Just how bad does Long have to get before you’d say he isn’t good enough? He’s a 2 goal a season striker who runs around offside and falls over in his marker farts too hard.

2. What about it? It’s terrible.

Neither Long nor Austin is a Premier League player.
    How much is your budget to rectify the fact that our strikers are average? That is a good starting point when you are assessing your options.

How much is your budget to rectify the fact that our strikers are average? That is a good starting point when you are assessing your options.
    In fairness, you wouldn't necessarily need to break the bank in order to get players significantly better than what we already have.

We know that we were looking at Che Adams in January, and he is described as talented but very raw. We didn't meet the asking price but he'll go somewhere for around £20m in the summer. A signing like that is by far a better long term option than either Long or Austin, and is not a huge sum of money in today's market.

I guess it all hinges on us getting decent-ish fees for Cedric, Hoedt, Carillo and/or Boufal (who I still believe could be of some use to us in Ralph's system next season if we can't offload him).

Austin is finished at PL level and I doubt would be overly great in the Championship - his fitness is poor.

Long is the same as ever - poor but will run.

Damning for Gallagher that he still isn't an option ahead of these two.

Hopefully we can get rid of all 3 in the summer.

What I am saying is that it is stating the obvious that our strikers are not delivering, I just wish people would put forward credible solutions. These would be in the context of how much we have to spend, the wages we can offer and how they might fit into the dressing room. I personally agree that Che Adams would be a good call but it would be naive to think that we are the only ones that are looking for a silver bullet for our goal scoring shortfalls. That probably pushes the price up to £25-30m and £80K a week. I expect that is still possible but we would likely miss out. You still need back up and either Long or Austin probably fit the bill as second tier strikers.

What I am saying is that it is stating the obvious that our strikers are not delivering, I just wish people would put forward credible solutions. These would be in the context of how much we have to spend, the wages we can offer and how they might fit into the dressing room. I personally agree that Che Adams would be a good call but it would be naive to think that we are the only ones that are looking for a silver bullet for our goal scoring shortfalls. That probably pushes the price up to £25-30m and £80K a week. I expect that is still possible but we would likely miss out. You still need back up and either Long or Austin probably fit the bill as second tier strikers.
    Get rid of them. Literally give them away to any club they can agree terms with, even if we have to pay some of their wages for another year.

Right now, a mediocre, underwhelming striker would be a big upgrade on the pair of them. I’m not asking for 20 goals a season. 10 would at least be something. Given that we are welded firmly to the top of the net spend League, it might actually be time for one of our owners to put their hand in their pocket. Not getting my hopes up but someone has to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Get rid of them. Literally give them away to any club they can agree terms with, even if we have to pay some of their wages for another year.

Right now, a mediocre, underwhelming striker would be a big upgrade on the pair of them. I’m not asking for 20 goals a season. 10 would at least be something. Given that we are welded firmly to the top of the net spend League, it might actually be time for one of our owners to put their hand in their pocket. Not getting my hopes up but someone has to do something.
    i would argue that big spending rarely yields results on the field.

16. Default

Man City done OK.

Not big but correct. We should be trying to recruit the next Mané, Tadič and Pellè, not sticking with 2 dreadful players.

Not spending money will see us end up with another Djuricic or Mayuka.

No football matches to play for 3 weeks and 1st week is Cheltenham week. Charlie living the dream.